Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 07-03-2012, 02:01 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sounds like you won't be watching anymore then!

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 02:01 AM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

WE WILL DO WHATEVER WE WANT VIDAE, YOU SANCTIMONIOUS SON OF A *****. Ahem.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 02:06 AM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Does anyone watch Obscura on the science channel?

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.
Brothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 02:18 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
WE WILL DO WHATEVER WE WANT VIDAE, YOU SANCTIMONIOUS SON OF A *****. Ahem.
Okay Corey.

Old 07-03-2012, 02:23 AM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post
Okay Corey.
Fight back you coward, I challenge you to a duel.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 05:50 AM    (permalink
themaninblack
All-Pro

themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiomera View Post
The email fiasco was just absurd and such a stupid "technology goes haywire" TV mishap. And they assassinated the characterization of Allison Pill's character from the pilot. I felt like I was watching a new character I'd never met before.
I thought Pill was turrible in that epi. The part where she was acting drunk was just unbelievably bad.

^A Bonekrusher production^
Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165
themaninblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:32 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
You can stop watching Walking Dead =D

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:37 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not all shows come out firing on all cylinders like Thrones did. Newsroom has a great setup and there is plenty of room for the show to grow. Sorkin just needs to find these characters direction for right now. Does Pill's character remind anyone else of Natalie from Sports Night or just me?

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:11 AM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
You're probably wrong!

I find it to be a lousy show so far, but it's the damn summer. Watching a show to be a part of the conversation, even if I'm mocking it, is necessary some times.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:31 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's funny how you like to point out flaws in shows yet you were a huge Lost fanboy. What's that about?

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 07-03-2012, 10:55 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Xio is too busy jerking off over light caves, don't mind him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddy View Post
You can stop watching Walking Dead =D
While there is a lot wrong with TWD, I still enjoy the show. There are some good things about it: a few of the characters are really well done, the production value is top notch, and it looks like this next season might start to get good. There are a lot of things wrong with it, but there are good things too.

The way Brodeur and Xio are talking, there is nothing redeeming about The Newsroom at all. Why watch it?

Last edited by vidae : 07-03-2012 at 10:57 AM.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:56 AM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Oh man, I just suffered through Episode 2 of "The Newsroom." That was ******* terrible.
So, what you're telling me is that the clip of Jeff Daniels ripping that blonde girl a new one about America is all I needed to see?

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:03 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Quote:
Xio is too busy jerking off over light caves, don't mind him.

While there is a lot wrong with TWD, I still enjoy the show. There are some good things about it: a few of the characters are really well done, the production value is top notch, and it looks like this next season might start to get good. There are a lot of things wrong with it, but there are good things too.

The way Brodeur and Xio are talking, there is nothing redeeming about The Newsroom at all. Why watch it?
The best part about it is that we do agree that right now the show has some flaws. I don't remember us saying it was the best debut for a show ever and it's above reproach. If the show was written by D. Smith and not A. Sorkin they wouldn't be complaining.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 07-03-2012, 11:06 AM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
So, what you're telling me is that the clip of Jeff Daniels ripping that blonde girl a new one about America is all I needed to see?
Absolutely.

That scene has literally nothing to do with the rest of the series and will stand as the best scene of the show for its duration. The pre-release trailers for this show were unfairly misleading to viewers, in my opinion. I know that's very often the norm for TV shows trying to stir up initial viewership, but the entire scene was obviously written only as a cheap trick to generate interest. It's essentially a throw away scene by episode 2.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:15 AM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I haven't watched the 2nd episode yet, but Emily Mortimer was hot so it would have to be pretty terrible.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:15 AM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
It's funny how you like to point out flaws in shows yet you were a huge Lost fanboy. What's that about?
LOST was a sci-fi, fantasy show. The Newsroom is supposed to be a realistic drama set in the real world that expects you to take it seriously.

Additionally, I've come to expect more of a TV since the years when LOST aired. Call it the Mad Men/Breaking Bad effect, or whatever you want. But The Newsroom is not good television.

I don't see why my liking of one old show (that despite its flaws is still critically revered) means my opinions on new shows are somehow invalid.

You guys complaining about me complaining is just stupid. Are you upset that I'm critical of something you like? I don't think I've seen any of you guys give an actual defense of the show. Your comments are all limited to "I like it" or "It has potential." Stick your neck out there and ******* say something specific if you think Brodeur and I (and basically every TV critic) are wrong.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:18 AM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
The best part about it is that we do agree that right now the show has some flaws. I don't remember us saying it was the best debut for a show ever and it's above reproach. If the show was written by D. Smith and not A. Sorkin they wouldn't be complaining.
That's not even remotely true. I've never watched a single episode of any of Sorkin's previous TV shows. I think the only Sorkin movie I've seen is The Social Network.

The show is a ******* chore to watch.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:20 AM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yea can you just go ahead and stop watching the show now so I don't have to read any discussion about it with you involved?

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:21 AM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
That's been the highlight. But I really like him and Sam Waterson working together as well. The show has some great characters I just don't see how they can ever make the plot line turn into something as awesome as we have come to expect from HBO shows.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig
Smooth Criminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:22 AM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by draftguru151 View Post
Yea can you just go ahead and stop watching the show now so I don't have to read any discussion about it with you involved?
Why the **** would we do that? We don't need someone policing the television DISCUSSION thread because you don't like what's being said.

It's not like I'm just slamming the show and not being specific as to why.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:28 AM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Does anyone still watch Weeds? I know it's gotten way worse since the start but at this point I feel obligated to finish it since its on the last season.

The first three seasons were awesome tv. Fell off some after they moved to Mexico. Took a huge nose dive when they were on the run. Decent in NYC, and I really have no idea what to expect with this season.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig
Smooth Criminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:30 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Quote:
LOST was a sci-fi, fantasy show. The Newsroom is supposed to be a realistic drama set in the real world that expects you to take it seriously.

Additionally, I've come to expect more of a TV since the years when LOST aired. Call it the Mad Men/Breaking Bad effect, or whatever you want. But The Newsroom is not good television.

I don't see why my liking of one old show (that despite its flaws is still critically revered) means my opinions on new shows are somehow invalid.

You guys complaining about me complaining is just stupid. Are you upset that I'm critical of something you like? I don't think I've seen any of you guys give an actual defense of the show. Your comments are all limited to "I like it" or "It has potential." Stick your neck out there and ******* say something specific if you think Brodeur and I (and basically every TV critic) are wrong.
Here's your problem. Sorkin writes in which he believes how things should be handled in an idiyllic way. They aspire to present the new show in a non bias fashion where the ratings don't matter one iota. No that's not realistic. It was the same with The West Wing, Sports Night, and almost all the movies he did as well. By going back and using old news stories Sorkin wants the audience to see the ways in which he believes matters should be handled. It's why in the opening credits they have Murrow and Cronkite who would possibly not even have a job if they did the news in today's society because of how they strived to present the news with only facts. A realistic portrayal of a newsroom is not what Sorkin is trying to present.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 07-03-2012, 11:46 AM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Here's your problem. Sorkin writes in which he believes how things should be handled in an idiyllic way. They aspire to present the new show in a non bias fashion where the ratings don't matter one iota. No that's not realistic. It was the same with The West Wing, Sports Night, and almost all the movies he did as well. By going back and using old news stories Sorkin wants the audience to see the ways in which he believes matters should be handled. It's why in the opening credits they have Murrow and Cronkite who would possibly not even have a job if they did the news in today's society because of how they strived to present the news with only facts. A realistic portrayal of a newsroom is not what Sorkin is trying to present.
That's all fine and dandy. If you're willing to forgive all that and watch the show through "The Sorkin Filter," good for you. But does that address more than 25% of my grievances with the show? Nope.

I don't have a problem with the journalistic mechanisms or the premise of the news broadcast. It's the goofy and fluctuating characterization, the high-minded preachiness, the decision to set the show in the past to allow for "cherry picking" retrospective political and media commentary, the artificial-sounding dialogue, the sitcom-like mishaps, etc, etc.

The pilot episode had SOME things I liked. The show airs on HBO, so I expect that it can improve. I anticipated this show for a long time because, as I've said, it relates to my profession. But there's no reason I shouldn't call it like I see it and be critical where the show invites criticism.

You guys that complain about someone expressing a dissenting opinion need to either get over yourselves.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:03 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Quote:
You guys that complain about someone expressing a dissenting opinion need to either get over yourselves.
Or? Either get over ourselves or what? Was there more to that?

I'm asking because I don't know if I want to get over myself or the second option.

Old 07-03-2012, 12:05 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

I don't care if you dislike the show it's just funny to me that you're going to waste time watching something you don't enjoy. Also, on the last page you said you wouldn't like the show no matter who wrote but then you insert the "Sorkin Filter" comment. You have to know what the writer is trying to establish in order to fairly critique the show. You pointed out how you think it's supposed to a realistic portrayal of a new show but that's not what Sorkin is going for. He likes to show the viewers what we should strive to become but of course it will be in his own view. The dialouge and the sitcom like mishaps are 100% Sorkin. You either like it or you don't. I don't mind you criticizing the show but you're coming off just as preachy as Sorkin.

sig by BoneKrusher