Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football > Recruiting

Recruiting Discuss High School Recruiting

Old 07-05-2012, 03:00 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNole View Post
That is the same way New Mexico pulled a top DT out of Florida a couple years ago. Bad schools need to do whatever they can to get talent. I think the NCAA should have a rule though IF a team hires a HS coach it cannot recruit from that HS for 2 years.
Ya, I think there should be some restrictions like you mention for a HS coach, or if you hire a family member it either A. can't be the family member of a recruit currently a HS soph/jr./sr. or B. you can hire the family member, just aren't allowed to recruit their son if he is currently a soph/jr./sr.

I don't want to paint with a broad brush to say these types of hires are never warranted/earned by the person being hired, and I don't want to say you absolutely have to split up a kid from his father, but when it's a current recruiting class recruit and you hire their parent, it just smells wrong.
iowatreat54 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 03:55 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowatreat54 View Post
Ya, I think there should be some restrictions like you mention for a HS coach, or if you hire a family member it either A. can't be the family member of a recruit currently a HS soph/jr./sr. or B. you can hire the family member, just aren't allowed to recruit their son if he is currently a soph/jr./sr.

I don't want to paint with a broad brush to say these types of hires are never warranted/earned by the person being hired, and I don't want to say you absolutely have to split up a kid from his father, but when it's a current recruiting class recruit and you hire their parent, it just smells wrong.
It's totally wrong. But I don't see how you can legally stop the practice.

Colleges are always going to want to hire HS coaches that are hotshots. If you start banning kids from a new coach's former HS, then things get bad for HS coaches trying to make it to the next level.

There is no good solution. Other than opening up D1 to paying players.
JoeJoeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 05:55 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I figure if you produce the kid and raise him, he can play college football for you if he wants.

Who does the practice hurt? If it wasn't an Iowa recruit, you likely wouldn't care.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:31 PM    (permalink
MassNole
All-Pro

MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowatreat54 View Post

Every great once in a while a HS coach comes along who warrants a FBS job, like Gus Malzahn or Chad Morris, but for the other 99% of the time it is just a move by a school to get a recruit (which really it was for Malzhan too, but he at least proved himself as a legit OC).
MassNole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:17 AM    (permalink
MassNole
All-Pro

MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Robert Nkemdiche: Clemson is “done deal” if they offer another Grayson teammate

1:17 am July 6, 2012, by Michael Carvell

The No. 1 college football prospect in the nation says his commitment to Clemson is a “done deal” if the Tigers offer one more of his Grayson High School teammates, safety Ryan Carter.
“I am waiting on Clemson to offer Ryan; when that happens, it’s locked … it’s a done deal … it’s over,” Robert Nkemdiche told the AJC.
Nkemdiche says the primary reason he picked Clemson over LSU and Alabama, among others, was because the Tigers already had commitments from his two his Grayson teammates, RBWayne Gallman and DB David Kamara. Also, earlier this week, former Grayson QB Nick Schuessler decided to give up his football scholarship to Mississippi State to be a preferred walk-on at Clemson (Nkemdiche has lived with Schuessler’s family at times).
The only person missing in the Grayson-to-Clemson pipeline is Ryan Carter, according to Nkemdiche.
Who is Ryan Carter? He’s a 5-foot-10, 175-pound defensive back who already has early football scholarship offers from Ole Miss, Georgia State, Tulane, Arkansas State and Southern Miss.
“He’s so hard-nosed,” Nkemdiche said. “He comes up and hits anybody. It doesn’t matter how big you are. He will come and hit you. That’s what I like about him. He plays with a high motor and is a great football player … Of course, I’m surprised he doesn’t have more offers. I’m waiting on him to get that offer from Clemson so he can come join the family.”
“Clemson said they like Ryan a lot and that he’s at the top of their board. Yes, sir, if Clemson offers Ryan, it would seal the deal. There’s no ifs, ands or buts about it. David and Ryan, those guys are like family. They are like brothers to me. I’m close to them. We’ve had success playing football together and I don’t want to change it.”
Carter said he’s had limited contact with Clemson but would probably commit rather quickly if they offered a scholarship. “Yes, because that’s all I’ve ever wanted to do, to play with Robert in college. I’ve been best friends with David and Robert since the eighth grade. We’re like family.”
This is where it gets interesting: What if Clemson does not offer Ryan Carter?
Nkemdiche won’t make any declarations, other than to say it will make him look really hard at perhaps the only school left in the high-stakes race at this point, Ole Miss, where Nkemdiche’s older brother plays college football.
Coincidentally, Ole Miss offered Ryan Carter a scholarship the day after Nkemdiche committed to Clemson. “If Clemson doesn’t offer Ryan, it would make me look at Ole Miss a little more, it would,” Nkemdiche said. “It’s very important that I have my boys with me.”
Said Carter, “Yes sir, we’ve all talked about going to Ole Miss together if that doesn’t work out with Clemson. Robert’s brother is there, and he’s definitely trying to get us to go there.”
Note: Nkemdiche also said he will definitely take an official visit to Ole Miss this fall to see his brother play. By the way, what was Denzel Nkemdiche’s reaction when his younger brother picked Clemson?
“He was like ‘I’d like you to come play with me at Ole Miss, but you have to do what’s best for you,’” Robert said.
Then there’s LSU, which Nkemdiche listed as his runner-up when he committed to Clemson. LSU was Kamara’s initial dream offer, but it never happened. LSU appears to be a longshot at this point.
“It’s real out there at LSU but they didn’t have any of my boys going there,” Nkemdiche said. “I didn’t feel like I would fit in there.”
What if LSU suddenly offers Kamara? “I don’t think it will change my mind at this point,” Nkemdiche said. “I feel like Clemson is the perfect fit for me for so many reasons. I hope they offer Ryan.”
Clemson fans can credit David Kamara for Nkemdiche committing to the Tigers.Nkemdiche knew relatively little about the program and wasn’t even really considering them until Kamara convinced him to accompany him to a few unofficial visits to Clemson this past spring.
“I just went up there a couple of times and I started liking it,” Nkemdiche said. “My boy David committed, and they liked Ryan. I want them to come with me. It feels like family at Clemson. The atmosphere is crazy. I liked it.”
Perhaps secondary in Robert’s attraction to Clemson was the spiritual connection to Dabo Swinney and the rest of the coaching staff. “I feel like God has blessed me in so many ways,” Nkemdiche said. “I feel like Dabo is really into God. And I feel like God can use me in so many ways that I could never imagine.”
When Nkemdiche visited Clemson last month, he was thinking about committing but didn’t know for sure until arriving on campus. After committing to Clemson, Swinney gave him the chance to back out of it. “He was like ‘Are you sure this is your final decision? Are you sure you are ready?’ I was like this is where I want to be, especially since my boys were coming along with me.”
If Clemson offered Ryan Carter, there would be the perception that it was a 5-for-1 package deal for Nkemdiche.
However, Grayson coach Mickey Conn said that’s not the case at all — that Nkemdiche’s best pals, Carter and Kamara, are legitimate D1 prospects.
“If Clemson offers Ryan, it won’t be because of Robert,” Conn said. “It will be because of Ryan. Colleges aren’t offering guys because of Robert. Well, there’s a little bit of influence [to get their film evaluated], I’m sure. But those guys are talented in their own right.
“Ryan Carter is extremely talented. You’re talking about a guy who runs a 4.4 in the 40-yard dash. I timed him at 4.3 If you go back to the state championship game, that star running back committed to Alabama [Walton High School’s Tyren Jones], he had -19 yards rushing at halftime. A big part of that was our safeties, Ryan Carter and Kasey Gaines, coming up from the safety spot and hitting [Jones] in the backfield before he even got started.
“Ryan plays safety for us, but he can play a number of different positions, including wide receiver and cornerback. He has got great hands. He’s great with the ball in his hands. He returns punts. In the state championship game, he returned that long punt that put us in position to kind of put that game away right before halftime. He’s a very, very talented kid.”
What about David Kamara? “That’s not a free scholarship just because he’s buddies with Robert. That kid can play, too. You take a look at his highlight film and you see all you need to see. The guy is a physical specimen at corner and he’s got great speed. He runs a 4.5 and changes direction really well. Another great thing that people don’t realize is how long his arms and legs are … extremely long.”
Grayson could have as many as 8-9 seniors sign D1 prospects this year, and Conn gives a lot of credit to Nkemdiche, who mentions his teammates to college coaches when talking them.
“All these colleges come by our school to see Robert, and when they get here, they watch the film and see that we have other kids that can play, too,” Conn said. “When your defense gives up 500 yards rushing in 15 games, there’s some talent there.
“These colleges have 25 scholarships or so. They’re not going to just give them out to get Robert. They’ve got to be able to play, and these kids can play.”
With this he instantly becomes the biggest primadonna in the history of CFB recruiting.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:06 PM    (permalink
MassNole
All-Pro

Word is 4* WR Isaiah Jones will commit to FSU during (or right after) The Opening.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:52 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Every great once in a while a HS coach comes along who warrants a FBS job, like Gus Malzahn or Chad Morris, but for the other 99% of the time it is just a move by a school to get a recruit (which really it was for Malzhan too, but he at least proved himself as a legit OC).
But he was hired as a recruiting coordinator, not a coach.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:53 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Quote:
With this he instantly becomes the biggest primadonna in the history of CFB recruiting.
???

Tons of players do this. You're just bitter.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:59 PM    (permalink
MassNole
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
???

Tons of players do this. You're just bitter.
Name me the last player to demand 4 of his teammates be given offers?
Old 07-06-2012, 02:03 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Quote:
Name me the last player to demand 4 of his teammates be given offers?
Those players were already given offers. The article talks about one kid.

Also, he wants his friends to get offers; by definition that is not prima donna behavior, because he's looking out for others. There are countless players that have been given personal bribes that are far greater than that.

Honestly, good for him. He's using the leverage he has now to help his friend out. Considering the tons of money that Clemson is going to likely make off of him, it's more than justified.

Old 07-06-2012, 02:36 PM    (permalink
MassNole
All-Pro

Those players were only given offers get Nkemdiche interested in Clemson, not to mention the QB who gets a scholarship in January after walking on this semester. No coach in their right mind allows a HS kid to dictate the other kids they offer.

Old 07-06-2012, 03:35 PM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sounds like 4* IL WR Laquon Treadwell could commit to Michigan any day now.
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:03 PM    (permalink
Notredameleo
Pro Bowler

Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Anzalone to Irish. Gotta give Kelly credit. We needed LB and OL and he has recruited the hell out of it this class. Shaping up to be great. Michigan and ND both top 3 in recruiting as of now. As it should be.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:50 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notredameleo View Post
Anzalone to Irish. Gotta give Kelly credit. We needed LB and OL and he has recruited the hell out of it this class. Shaping up to be great. Michigan and ND both top 3 in recruiting as of now. As it should be.
Self censored.

Last edited by JoeJoeBrown : 07-08-2012 at 10:13 PM.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:47 AM    (permalink
Notredameleo
Pro Bowler

Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Did you rant, and then take it back?
Old 07-09-2012, 08:05 AM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Did you rant, and then take it back?
No, it was a tasteless catholic joke wrt the made up reason Anzalone decommited from osu. It wasn't funny and was tasteless. Didn't want to offend anyone for no reason.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:27 PM    (permalink
wicket
All-Pro

wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
WR and DB were both bigger needs iyam

Saints 2014 draft wish list:
- No pass rusher till the fourth round (or preferably at all)
- Corner or Wideout in the first
- No reaching
- No Kelvin Benjamin
wicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:36 PM    (permalink
IrishTrojan
Rookie

IrishTrojan could make a wolverine purr.IrishTrojan could make a wolverine purr.IrishTrojan could make a wolverine purr.IrishTrojan could make a wolverine purr.IrishTrojan could make a wolverine purr.IrishTrojan could make a wolverine purr.

USC getting 3 commits in the next week
Old 07-09-2012, 07:11 PM    (permalink
Punisher
Veteran

Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Rodgers,Ramsey, and who else?
Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:16 AM    (permalink
IrishTrojan
Rookie

IrishTrojan could make a wolverine purr.IrishTrojan could make a wolverine purr.IrishTrojan could make a wolverine purr.IrishTrojan could make a wolverine purr.IrishTrojan could make a wolverine purr.IrishTrojan could make a wolverine purr.

Nico Falah
Old 07-10-2012, 04:09 PM    (permalink
Punisher
Veteran

Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishTrojan View Post
Nico Falah

This class is unreal Irish.

pinch me
Old 07-10-2012, 04:36 PM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Kahleil Rodgers? I only have an account to scout and they dont even have SC listed on his favorites.

Or are we talkin about someone else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erNation85 View Post
I wouldn't be sir prized if he passed McCoy on the depth chart. I think he might have a better arm and accurate arm then him from the highlights I thought. He also got some wheels too help us prepare for QB's as Wilson , RG3 and other runners etc.
SickwithIt1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:04 PM    (permalink
Punisher
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickwithIt1010 View Post
Kahleil Rodgers? I only have an account to scout and they dont even have SC listed on his favorites.

Or are we talkin about someone else?
Nope, same Rodgers. He got his offer last week and he's announcing soon. :)
Old 07-10-2012, 10:58 PM    (permalink
IrishTrojan
Rookie

might not all commit in the next 7 days but they will by fall camp.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:28 PM    (permalink
Punisher
Veteran

Just like you said, 4 star offensive linemen Nico Falah and Kahleil Rodgers to USC. Jalen Ramsey is next in line. USC now number 2 in the country behind Michigan for best class overall.