Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 07-11-2012, 12:21 AM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
My interpretation is that all of these issues falls into two main themes prevalent in the film. One is the thought that "those things only happen in the movies" and the other being divine intervention.
Well it just comes off as kind of lazy writing to me. Again, a suspension of disbelief is required when watching the film. I just wish mostly that the characters were challenged more so with their thinking in what they were doing. They don't really go through any character arcs at all either. They literally wake up in the middle of the night, are told to do something, and go do it because "God" told them too. Good thing they weren't told to murder innocent children. That kind of bugs me more so than the plot holes and contrived nonsense.

I think a reviewer put it best when he said this is a movie you either hate or love.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:26 AM    (permalink
wogitalia
Pro Bowler

wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sometimes I read this thread and wonder if any of you actually ever enjoy a movie, like just sit back and watch it without requiring a character arc and all that jazz.

A movie doesn't have to be flawless to be fun.

Props to BK on the sig!
wogitalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:27 AM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wogitalia View Post
Sometimes I read this thread and wonder if any of you actually ever enjoy a movie, like just sit back and watch it without requiring a character arc and all that jazz.

Yeah, a page after all of us just praised 21 Jump Street to death...

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:35 AM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wogitalia View Post

Oh yeah. I was just talking about it with a critical eye. Even some of my favorite movies have flaws. All movies I should say have flaws. I should have talked about what I liked with The Boondock Saints as well. I forgot that in my "objective" viewpoint of the film.

Some movies more than others you just have to turn your brain off for the most part to enjoy it. I usually do this the first time I watch a movie.

Quote:
Old 07-11-2012, 12:40 AM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

what are There Will Be Blood's flaws?

fenikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:45 AM    (permalink
Cigaro
All-NFLDC

Location: Two-thirds of the Earth is covered by water, the other one-third is covered by Luke Kuechly
Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
There are none, it is known.

Sig by Matthew Jones
Cigaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:59 AM    (permalink
wogitalia
Pro Bowler

wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Not funny enough

This thread can often be overly critical is all I was saying :)

Also... I saw Ted last night, it twas fun and quite a good movie as well.

Last few comedies that I've gone to the cinema for have been very good. Inbetweeners, Ted and 21 Jump Street... I'm on a roll!

Props to BK on the sig!
Old 07-11-2012, 01:12 AM    (permalink
WCH
Pro Bowler

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMcgee View Post
Robocop should never be remade, unless we travel back to the 80's and get John Carpenter involved.

On that note, I saw The Thing prequel the other day. Pretty weak, but Winstead is still cute. And I can't describe it, since he is only in awful things, but I find myself rooting for Eric Christian Olsen.

I saw him in a preview for Celeste and Jesse Forever and it made me happy. Fun cast for that one - Samberg, Rashida Jones, Elijah Wood, ECO, Emma Roberts, Chris Messina. Not sure if it will amount to anything good, but it's a charming cast.
I agree, x100. I won't lie and say that I won't watch it, but I'd prefer they wouldn't remake it.
WCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:17 AM    (permalink
bantx
I have a Custom Title
All-NFLDC

bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm in the same boat with you wogtolia, I enjoy a lot more movies then most. That just makes it even better when a movie is really amazing.

bantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:21 AM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Quote:
I haven't watched that movie in a long time. When I watch it again, this time with a critical eye, I'll let you know what worked for me and what didn't.

I'll get this out of the way now: There Will Be Blood is a great film from what I remember, but it probably isn't perfect. No film is. Especially when film making is essentially an art, with a lot of aspects left up to personal interpretation/a matter of taste, etc. which is why no film is perfect.

Quote:

Last edited by Ness : 07-11-2012 at 01:26 AM.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:32 AM    (permalink
wogitalia
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bantx View Post
I'm in the same boat with you wogtolia, I enjoy a lot more movies then most. That just makes it even better when a movie is really amazing.
Yeah, I've gone through the "movie snob" phase where I only watched "good" movies. I've found that a lot of bad movies are actually fun. Take John Carter for example, that was just a good fun movie to watch, it's not revolutionary, it's not fleshed out, it probably could have used another hour to make it a better movie but that didn't stop it being a good waste of time.

There Will Be Blood is actually a great counter example, it is a great movie, well acted, well produced and all that, but it wasn't actually very fun to watch, in fact it was almost painful to watch. It's not a movie I'd probably ever bother watching again but I'm very glad I've seen it. Requiem for a Dream is another great example, I will almost certainly never watch that again but god it was an awesome movie.

So whilst I will appreciate a great movie, I wont not enjoy a movie because it isn't great. It's nice when you get both those elements (like Batman Begins or Fight Club) but if I have one I'm fine with it :)

Props to BK on the sig!
Old 07-11-2012, 01:37 AM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

you sir are silly, I've watched TWBB like 50 times, easily my favorite movie to watch

fenikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:39 AM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So instead, you're a snob against people who you claim to be movie snobs? Requiem for a Dream is painful to watch for a reason, because it's trying to get underneath your skin and horrify you. It's not supposed to be John ******* Carter.

RIP TheManInBlack
Old 07-11-2012, 01:44 AM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

yeah i don't know what you're talking about wogs. twbb is very enjoyable.

Last edited by TACKLE : 07-11-2012 at 01:59 AM.
TACKLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:47 AM    (permalink
wogitalia
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
So instead, you're a snob against people who you claim to be movie snobs? Requiem for a Dream is painful to watch for a reason, because it's trying to get underneath your skin and horrify you. It's not supposed to be John ******* Carter.
In what way was I snobbish? People should do what they want, I was just asking if people enjoy the movies that they are critiquing still despite their warts, this thread can generally be very negative so it's nice to hear if people enjoyed a movie, rather than if it had a satisfactory character arc or camera angle as the two are not mutually exclusive.

I said that I've personally found movie watching to be better because I've started watching more "bad" movies, at no point did I say that you had to start watching them.

Props to BK on the sig!
Old 07-11-2012, 01:48 AM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

TWBB rules. I prefer No Country for Old Men, though.

WMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:52 AM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Some movies are just perfect.

BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 03:35 PM    (permalink
nrk
Pro Bowler

nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree with wogitalia about TWBB. A very well made movie and DDL has a great performance, but I was bored to death watching it. I haven't seen it since the theaters though.

Sig by Hitman D.
nrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 03:53 PM    (permalink
Dr. Gonzo
Icon

Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I thought TWBB was incredibly enjoyable. Beautiful to look at, great performances, brilliant score. It kind of had everything going for it. I thought it was robbed of Best Picture though I did really ******* enjoy No Country. Paul Thomas Anderson is easily the best living director.
Old 07-11-2012, 03:55 PM    (permalink
Cigaro
All-NFLDC

Location: Two-thirds of the Earth is covered by water, the other one-third is covered by Luke Kuechly
Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I can see why others may find it boring, but I don't find it that way at all. I've seen TWBB multiple times and enjoyed it each viewing.

Sig by Matthew Jones
Cigaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 03:58 PM    (permalink
Dr. Gonzo
Icon

Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It is so insanely quotable as well. Not the perfect movie but damn close. I just don't see any real flaws in it. I probably enjoy Boogie Nights more and Magnolia may be the better film, Punch Drunk Love has more heart. All that said it is a masterpiece.
Old 07-11-2012, 04:43 PM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Gonzo View Post
I thought TWBB was incredibly enjoyable. Beautiful to look at, great performances, brilliant score. It kind of had everything going for it. I thought it was robbed of Best Picture though I did really ******* enjoy No Country. Paul Thomas Anderson is easily the best living director.

I'd like a word, Brent...
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
A Perfect Score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 04:46 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Perfect Score View Post

***** please.

RIP TheManInBlack
Old 07-11-2012, 04:48 PM    (permalink
Dr. Gonzo
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Perfect Score View Post

Marty is truly great and one of the best directors of all time but PT Anderson and Kubrick are one and two by a lot in my books. Just personal preference. I would not argue with you at all though, Scorcese not only is a pioneer but he consistently makes incredible films.
Old 07-11-2012, 04:49 PM    (permalink
Dr. Gonzo
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post

***** please.
We all know there is a man better than the rest. The modern day Kubrick. This is is his response to you claim