Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 07-12-2012, 03:51 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Does this mean that PSU fans will stop treating Paterno like he's some saint, and realize he was a power hungry, obsessed with winning douche of a human?

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 04:03 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
Does this mean that PSU fans will stop treating Paterno like he's some saint, and realize he was a power hungry, obsessed with winning douche of a human?
Do these answer your question?

http://bwi.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fi... =890&style=2

iowatreat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 04:06 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
All-Pro

JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Those people are ******* insane. I don't think it's a small subset of PSU people unfortunately.
JoeJoeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 04:10 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I seriously think the funniest (relatively speaking, because none of this is funny) part of the PSU fan base is when they say Paterno did everything in his power/didn't have power or influence to do anything but tell his boss.

It's astounding how there is this legend of not only PSU lore, not only college football lore, but for all of athletics, amateur and professional. The man was the face of the university for 30 years, fans came up wit "Paternoville" to honor him, and numerous other social influences stemming from the man, yet now they act like his hands were tied and he was just the lowly football coach that didn't have the ability to do anything since Sandusky was no longer a coach. Again, for a lack of a better term, it's hilarious.
iowatreat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 04:12 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
All-Pro

JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
"Before May 1998, several staff members and football coaches regularly observed Sandusky showering with young boys in the Lasch Building (now the East Area Locker Building or 'Old Lasch'). None of the individuals interviewed notified their superiors of this behavior"
BTW, one of these goes back to 1995, where Sandusky brought the boy to Pasadena for the Rose Bowl.

Eff the former PSU coaching staff.

This **** had been going on for decades, likely since the beginning of The Second Mile. Damnit this angers me.
Old 07-12-2012, 04:16 PM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Those people are the dumbest. Anyone with any level of influence, including zero, could have stopped this.

If any human called the news and said they knew of child molestation going on at Penn State the news would have looked into it. Call the police. Call anyone. Stand on the street corner and shout it out.

If Paterno walked up to a press conference mic and said theres boys getting molested but my bosses won't let me do anything, what do you think would happen? That he'd get fired? Not a chance in hell.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig
Smooth Criminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 04:21 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Thought I just had.

In today's world of social media, twitter, bloggers, and the all-encompassing 24-hour news cycle, the news crawl, etc. this type of coverup would never happen.

In 1998 when Sandusky mysteriously left the team, a top DC in college football who was slated to take over for the greatest coaching legend in college football, there were likely a couple of newspaper reports, maybe a quick report on Sportscenter. The media in Pennsylvania maybe was swayed by the coverup-ers to maybe downplay the story.

But had all that technology existed then, the 'retirement' or 'dismissal' would have resulted in questions. People with resources like twitter would have demanded answers. It may have been exposed WHY he left. Nowadays if a well-known, successful coach in his prime leaves, people get answers as to why.

Just a thought.
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:02 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I take it that Matt Millen made a huge ass out of himself on TV today also? That guy can't do anything right.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:09 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
I take it that Matt Millen made a huge ass out of himself on TV today also? That guy can't do anything right.
He's still in denial that Paterno didn't do the right thing.

To be fair, he shouldn't be on TV. It's a father figure that he's basically being asked to analyze. No one could be objective in that case.
Old 07-12-2012, 05:21 PM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
I read on twitter that he did, but what I heard wasn't that bad at all. Unless he changed something from earlier I didn't hear anything but sadness in his voice. Worst I heard was him say the Paterno he knew would never put publicity over something like this.

Old 07-12-2012, 05:36 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth Criminal View Post
I read on twitter that he did, but what I heard wasn't that bad at all. Unless he changed something from earlier I didn't hear anything but sadness in his voice. Worst I heard was him say the Paterno he knew would never put publicity over something like this.
Millen said that this is doesn't erase JoePa's legacy but is a part of it.

I call BS on that after reading this stuff. Enabling child rape and covering it up erases any supposed giving a crap about children and education.

He covered up this crap and outright lied about knowing about the 1998 investigation.

There had to be big reasons for covering up Sandusky's activities pre-1998 and post-1998. I feel that it has to be something fishy with the Second Mile. Slush fund, business front for PSU elites, something more nefarious, etc...
Old 07-12-2012, 05:54 PM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Itll be interesting to see if anything comes out of Second Mile. But as of now there's enough damning evidence already that I don't think we need to speculate any further.

Old 07-12-2012, 06:57 PM    (permalink
WCH
All-Pro

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This is just stupid: http://www.philly.com/philly/news/br...ccess.html?c=r

Yeah, I'm sure that made the students feel a lot better. I'm sure that none of them went home and found the press conference on the internet. Idiots.
WCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:10 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCH View Post

Yeah, I'm sure that made the students feel a lot better. I'm sure that none of them went home and found the press conference on the internet. Idiots.
I guess we know what's going to happen after the lawsuits start coming. . . Penn State at Pyongyang. They've already mastered the media shut out and crazy locals supporting a recently deceased leader/deity.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:10 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCH View Post

The PSU reality distortion field is starting to catastrophically fail.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:12 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
All-Pro

Quote:
Itll be interesting to see if anything comes out of Second Mile. But as of now there's enough damning evidence already that I don't think we need to speculate any further.
There will be (or already are) plenty of people digging into the second mile, most likely the FBI.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:14 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by descendency View Post
I guess we know what's going to happen after the lawsuits start coming. . . Penn State at Pyongyang. They've already mastered the media shut out and crazy locals supporting a recently deceased leader/deity.
Pyongyang is a perfect analogy. Dispicable behavior by a huge number of "adults".
Old 07-13-2012, 07:41 AM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJoeBrown View Post
There will be (or already are) plenty of people digging into the second mile, most likely the FBI.
I'm sure there are and I'm sure we'll get something to out of it that looks pretty bad. But for now anything is just pure speculation based on a theory.

There's enough basically confirmed to hate everyone involved. Let's start with that and wait and see what comes out of the charity.

Old 07-13-2012, 10:52 AM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
All-Pro

LaVarr gets it.
So much more than that moron Matt Millen.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:01 AM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
All-Pro

Quote:
I'm sure there are and I'm sure we'll get something to out of it that looks pretty bad. But for now anything is just pure speculation based on a theory.

There's enough basically confirmed to hate everyone involved. Let's start with that and wait and see what comes out of the charity.
I get what you are saying, and I agree with the sentiment. But there has to be a reason that these people acted so evilly.

I think it was money and power. And a lot of that money probably had something to do with TSM.

If you read the report, there is a note where Sandusky got an "unusual" payment of $168.5k, and then TSM bought some land from PSU for $168k. That same chunk of land was sold to PSU by TSM for the same price 3 years earlier.

Another interesting article here on how PSU could keep this under wraps for so long; They weren't subject to FOIA laws in Pennsylvania. Even the PSU cops aren't subject to it.

So for those few of you that want to cling to the notion that PSU couldn't suppress an investigation in 1998 into Sandusky and force him to go free, then you are even more wrong. There is no way to get visibility into the cops (barring a state or federal investigation) so who knows why the case was dropped? But since there is no visibility, there is quite a bit of likelihood that PSU forced the issue.

And another note, if Freeh had subpoena power (he didn't), he would have been able to investigate TSM. Legal experts are saying the investigation should have gone back to when TSM was started, back in 1978. He obviously couldn't have done that. Hopefully the Feds will.
Old 07-13-2012, 12:11 PM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

The reason could easily have been job security. If you remember back to 2001 people were questioning Joes age while he was having some poor years by Penn State standards.

And if they brushed 1998 under the rug thinking that it was possibly being over stated, then they might have feared for their jobs even more when another report happened in 2001.

That's kind of how I picture it. I don't see them sitting around acting evil. Things probably started smaller with them not fully understanding and then by the time they figured it out things had gone so far that they didn't want to admit they dropped the ball earlier. Still terrible of course, but easier to comprehend.

Of course, money could always just be the simple motive. Usually is one of the better ones.

Old 07-13-2012, 12:45 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Those people are ******* insane. I don't think it's a small subset of PSU people unfortunately.
Most of the people I associate with had the opinion that "we don't know what Joe did or did not know, so we can't judge" until yesterday. Then everyone basically said **** that guy.

The irrational "We Ares" somehow convince themselves otherwise.
TimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 12:48 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Pyongyang is a perfect analogy. Dispicable behavior by a huge number of "adults".
My friend from school tweeted "what is this North Korea?" as soon as the Freeh report came out. I couldn't help but laugh at the analogy.
TimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 12:52 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimD View Post
Most of the people I associate with had the opinion that "we don't know what Joe did or did not know, so we can't judge" until yesterday. Then everyone basically said **** that guy.

The irrational "We Ares" somehow convince themselves otherwise.
I love hearing that and appreciate that approach.

Thanks for restoring a bit of faith in humanity.
Old 07-13-2012, 03:18 PM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

You all have to see what they said on outside the lines. Some jackass said this isn't unprecedented and he can't know for certain but

Q: "You know other schools that have allowed rape to happen on their campuses?"

A: "I don't know his for certain but my guess is that you could find similar crimes almost everywhere in the country almost any week of the year."

Holy **** are people ********. That's his defense of not having the death penalty. I can't believe someone even said that.