Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 07-18-2012, 04:08 PM    (permalink
ImBrotherCain
All-NFLDC

ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Yeah I would probably focus more on the gameplay changing mods and less on the ones that have massive texture files. My PSU is rock solid but I don't game much, this would exclusively be for Skyrim.
Well I mean is it going to be a high enough wattage for a new GPU? A lot of newer cards are requiring 500-600 min and obviously you want a bit over that.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:10 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImBrotherCain View Post
Well I mean is it going to be a high enough wattage for a new GPU? A lot of newer cards are requiring 500-600 min and obviously you want a bit over that.
I think my psu is at least 700w. I used to do watercooling and ran a mid-range video card plus a pump and multiple hard drives. I'd have to check, it's been a while.

i done stole dis sig
killxswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 11:00 PM    (permalink
TitanHope
Website Contributor
All-NFLDC

TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImBrotherCain View Post
Morrowind Glass is a good mod, Deadly Serious Shrouded Armor as well.

SkyUI and Categorized Favorites have become must haves for me . They fix the menus and obviously categorize your favorites which is incredibly helpful.
That stuff looks soooooo much better. I hate the design of the normal Shrouded Armor.

Speaking of which, I unlocked the Dawnstar Sanctuary! Whoo! No enchanting table sucks though!

[@TDWinstead]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) View Post
Damn Ke$ha is sexy.
TitanHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:36 AM    (permalink
ImBrotherCain
All-NFLDC

ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think I am going to finish the game today. I might have to up the difficulty for fairness sake. I just did some enchanting and now my Daedric Bow does 196 damage with 15 life drain oh not to mention the 3x sneak bonus.
Old 07-21-2012, 05:00 PM    (permalink
themaninblack
All-Pro

themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Beat the main quest last night now I guess I'm just gonna do a bunch of random side quests and level up as much as I can. Next time I'll have to up the difficulty because that was rather easy. I thought Alduin would be a huge pain in the ass but he really wasn't and I was only a level 26 when I took him on.

I'm done with the Thieves Guild as well for the most part, anyone have any suggestions on things to do next? I'm thinking about learning all of the shouts and getting all the dragon priest masks.

^A Bonekrusher production^
Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165
themaninblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 09:45 PM    (permalink
Bolt
Rookie

Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaninblack View Post
I'm done with the Thieves Guild as well for the most part, anyone have any suggestions on things to do next? I'm thinking about learning all of the shouts and getting all the dragon priest masks.
Personally, I found the Daedric quests to be kind of fun. If you haven't gone for all of them, you might enjoy doing that. Or the Companions if you haven't finished that either.
Bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 11:16 PM    (permalink
ImBrotherCain
All-NFLDC

I finished the game on Master today. I am kinda sad how quickly the main quest ends... I started it today and finished it in a couple hours. Overall the game was solid... I still have to say that Morrowind is my favorite of the series.

I cannot wait until Dawnguard comes out to start my Paladin style character.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:32 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I am probably going to pull the trigger on a lightly used HD 4890 soon. Then sell my PS3 version of Skyrim when Dawnguard releases (I figure demand will go up a bit at that time) and buy the PC version. Can't wait to never use the stupid menu system again.

i done stole dis sig
Old 07-25-2012, 11:36 AM    (permalink
ImBrotherCain
All-NFLDC

Quote:
I am probably going to pull the trigger on a lightly used HD 4890 soon. Then sell my PS3 version of Skyrim when Dawnguard releases (I figure demand will go up a bit at that time) and buy the PC version. Can't wait to never use the stupid menu system again.
How much were you going to be spending on said GPU? If you don't mind me asking. Or how much are you looking to spend for that matter?
Old 07-25-2012, 11:40 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

Hopefully not much more than $70.

i done stole dis sig
Old 07-25-2012, 11:48 AM    (permalink
ImBrotherCain
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Hopefully not much more than $70.
Its going to run pretty shoddily at that price range.

If you are willing to spend a bit more you could get something like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130770

also here is a good site to see how the GPUs compare.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ew,3107-7.html
Old 07-25-2012, 12:08 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

$40 is more than "a bit more" to me. And this the card that is listed on the "recommended" specs for the game. I am not planning to run this at ultra high levels. For this pricerange I am not sure I can do much better.

i done stole dis sig
Old 07-25-2012, 12:27 PM    (permalink
ImBrotherCain
All-NFLDC

Quote:
$40 is more than "a bit more" to me. And this the card that is listed on the "recommended" specs for the game. I am not planning to run this at ultra high levels. For this pricerange I am not sure I can do much better.
$40 in graphics cards is a bit lol. Considering the everyday desktop ones can range all the way up to a $1,000 and the more standard pricing is $250 - $500 but I get where you are coming from.

In that price range you are correct that might be the best. The problem is that Skyrim can be resource intensive and far from an optimized game. So recommended might actually be a bit lower than what would be preferred. I looked through some old benchmark tests and a 4870 shouldn't be too bad on Medium to high settings with little to no AA and AF. Just watch what mods you add to the game avoid the HD resolution packages like the plague and you should be alright.

All in all what you are looking at would be the lowest I would even consider due especially if you plan to continue gaming on your computer. As in everything else it is an investment. The little extra now might save you in the long term... not to mention if you sell your PS3 version for $30 to $40 you make up the difference in the cards.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:38 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

These are all good points and if this were a few years ago we wouldn't even be having this discussion. I used to go for the sub-$300 pricepoint on video cards so I realize I am being super cheap here. I used to be really into PC gaming, overclocking, extreme cooling, etc. I was on water for a long time and even tried TEC cooling (though it did not go well).

I am basically buying this card for better video quality when watching DVDs and streamed video, and so I can play Skyrim with mods. I am fine with the PS3's graphics so I am not planning to download any hi-res texture replacers or fancy lighting mods. I will keep thinking about it because if the 4890 (not the 4870) is on the bare edge of good performance I may consider going up to $90-$100. But my current PC is not amazing and it won't be anytime soon. So putting a nice video card into it would be akin to putting a supercharger on a Ford Taurus.

i done stole dis sig
Old 07-29-2012, 02:15 AM    (permalink
Bulldogs
All-Pro

Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Old 07-31-2012, 12:07 PM    (permalink
ImBrotherCain
All-NFLDC

Old 07-31-2012, 12:41 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

That looks cool but I'll wait til I get home to watch the whole thing.

Both my PC copy of Skyrim and my new (to me) video card should be here before the weekend. I'm looking forward to installing a few mods. I wish they'd announce Dawnguard for the PC/PS3 already. What is taking so long?

i done stole dis sig
Old 07-31-2012, 12:42 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It had to be exclusive to the 360 for like 90 days or some such thing.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:45 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

Nope, just 30 days. And then some Bethesda douchebag pointed out in an interview that they technically never said PC or PS3 would get Dawnguard at all.

i done stole dis sig
Old 07-31-2012, 12:48 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I just knew it had been longer than 30 by now. I can't play it regardless, but yeah, that's ****** of them.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:16 PM    (permalink
ImBrotherCain
All-NFLDC

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/08/02/da...ased-on-steam/

Quote:
Like some kind of sneaky Dunmer, Skyrim’s Dawnguard expansion showed up on Steam this afternoon acting like nothing out of the ordinary had happened. The release coincides with Bethesda’s presence at QuakeCon, which began today in Dallas. Skyrim is also currently on sale for $30, and with Dawnguard priced at $20, you can get them both for less than the normal price of Skyrim by itself. The forests of Riften will be filled with howls this night…
Old 08-02-2012, 11:25 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

Dammit. It figured it'd go on sale right after I buy it for PC.

i done stole dis sig
Old 08-07-2012, 12:27 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

I added the video card and 4 more GB of RAM (for only $15, thank you eBay!) and Skyrim looks great. I can run it on High settings. I am considering a new cpu cooler (just running the little stock fan right now) so I can overclock. I am holding off on Dawnguard until I settle in on which mods I want to keep long-term.

i done stole dis sig
Old 08-10-2012, 06:52 AM    (permalink
TitanHope
Website Contributor
All-NFLDC

TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Update 1.7 is live for both XBox and PS3 (North America only for PS3). It'll say update 1.6 for PS3, even though it's technically both the 1.6 and 1.7 updates.

PS3 users now get mounted combat, and the update now makes their game ready for Dawnguard.

[@TDWinstead]
Quote:
Damn Ke$ha is sexy.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:28 PM    (permalink
TitanHope
Website Contributor
All-NFLDC

Hearthfire due out Sep. 4th on XBox 360.

Shockingly, the dates for it's release on the PC and PS3 have yet to be announced.

[@TDWinstead]
Quote:
Damn Ke$ha is sexy.