Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Giants Team Forum

New York Giants Team Forum Discuss the G-Men

Old 04-13-2007, 10:24 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default BBD's Final Mock Draft of 07

I think with the draft approaching soon, I think all of us pretty much have a good understanding of players and what to expect etc. I don't think my opinion will sway any from now until draft day, so here's my final "wishlist" if you will.

This board was made with the following criteria

1. Players must have high character and display leadership
2. Players must have intelligence
3. Instincts
4. Production

And with that, here's the board

Assuming Reggie Nelson is off the board

1. Paul Posluszny (SAM)
2. Eric Weddle (FS)
3. Manuel Ramirez (OG)
4. Derek Landri (DT)
5. Mike Walker (WR)
6. Garrett Wolffe (RB/WR hybrid)
7. BPA

If Reggie Nelson is available, we have to take him in round 1. He's too good of a player to pass up.

Otherwise, its Poz all the way. One of my bud's showed me some stuff on him, and after watching some more film, Im officially sold. This kid is a player. He's gonna be a steal. Willis is great too, but he won't be available. Poz is gonna be a great addition if we get him.

Eric Weddle is the FS version of Poz. Everything you look for.

Manuel Ramirez is a leader, and a great addition to the power run game, again, more high character

Derek Landri is another high character guy with a high motor. He'd be more of a rotation guy. He'll need a year to pack on some weight. But he has all the intangibles, and he's smart enough to make up for his lack of current physical ability. I think he'll show more impact in 2008/9 when he gets an offseason to pack on 10/15 pounds. But he's a great character guy with a high motor, great work ethic, and he's smart. Good value at round 4.

Mike Walker is an Amani Toomer insurance policy. Again, high character, good hands, will go up the middle. He doesn't have the breakaway speed but we have Sinorice for that. This guy is here as an insuranc policy to Toomer. I think he fits the bill perfectly.

Garrett Wolffe is great value at round 6. He's another developmental player. We would use him the way NO uses Reggie Bush. A WR/RB hybrid. He can be our spread offense RB, he's tough as nails and very productive. You can develop his WR skills in TC. Another guy who would have a bigger impact in 08/9 after some development. But again, for round 6, youre getting great value. This guy will drop because of measureables, but they forgot to measure his heart at the combine.

Round 7 is a crapshoot. BPA.

So there ya have it. All high character guys that will help clean up our lockerroom. Guys who are smart, productive, instinctual, leaders, team players etc. We need this on our team. This draft would be a good start.

In a perfect world, that is my wishlist.

Note: I did not take any CBs. The day 2 value at CB wasn't worth it, and I think we would be passing up on some great talent to force the CB "need" had we gone for one in round 1 or 2. I wont be upset if we get one, but I rather not. This CB class is rather weak if you ask me. The only day 2 CB worth the risk is Tanard Jackson, but he has character issues. So I shyed away from him.

Players I like as day 2 steals that I shyed away from because we didn't need them:

Marvin White
Darius Walker (if he's there at round 4)
Lorenzo Booker (we'd have to take him earlier than I would like. Id nab him if we didn't get Droughns)
Kyle Young (although I wouldn't mind at all if we got him)

...Im probably forgetting some names at the moment.

Last edited by bigbluedefense : 04-13-2007 at 10:29 AM.
bigbluedefense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 10:59 AM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like this Mock Draft. It seems very..realistic, among other things. I'd rather see us take Josh Wilson or Marcus McCauley (in that order) in the second round as I don't know if Weddle will be around, and more importantly I think Will Demps deserves the start as he really showed up the third half of the season.

A lot of people forget he was just coming of an ACL injury the year before and that can take more than a year to recover from (more so, if the mental factor weighs in), so I believe that's why he began to pick it up at the end of the season.

Otherwise, I really like Manny (loved him ever since the Senior Bowl) in the third and Walker and Wolfe in the 5th/6th. They should both be good picks that can develop well.

As you might know, I've been a big fan of Paul Posluszny so I've got no problem with that in the first round.

Don't know much about Derek Landri, so I couldn't say either way on that, but I'll take you word on him. One question though, what is weight right now?

All in all, great mock, it doesn't have any huge names in it, but I'd be very happy if that was the Giants draft this year.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:02 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Is their something I'm missing here on Derek Landri? This is the second time I have seen him in the 4th round. Has he done something in the last 2 weeks that have made people think this highly of him. Or have scouts been saying he has really impressed.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:05 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead10 View Post
Is their something I'm missing here on Derek Landri? This is the second time I have seen him in the 4th round. Has he done something in the last 2 weeks that have made people think this highly of him. Or have scouts been saying he has really impressed.
His potential in the 3-4 has rose his stock. At his current frame, he's great at 3-4 DE.

But I think with his intelligence and work ethic, we can get him up to 300 lbs and use him as a UT. For this year, we can use him situationally and as an extra body. The following year is when I expect him to really take the next step.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:07 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forenci View Post
I like this Mock Draft. It seems very..realistic, among other things. I'd rather see us take Josh Wilson or Marcus McCauley (in that order) in the second round as I don't know if Weddle will be around, and more importantly I think Will Demps deserves the start as he really showed up the third half of the season.

A lot of people forget he was just coming of an ACL injury the year before and that can take more than a year to recover from (more so, if the mental factor weighs in), so I believe that's why he began to pick it up at the end of the season.

Otherwise, I really like Manny (loved him ever since the Senior Bowl) in the third and Walker and Wolfe in the 5th/6th. They should both be good picks that can develop well.

As you might know, I've been a big fan of Paul Posluszny so I've got no problem with that in the first round.

Don't know much about Derek Landri, so I couldn't say either way on that, but I'll take you word on him. One question though, what is weight right now?

All in all, great mock, it doesn't have any huge names in it, but I'd be very happy if that was the Giants draft this year.

While it wasn't his best attribute, Weddle could also play CB if need be. I rather keep him at FS though.

Also remeber, Gibril's contract will be up at the end of the year. Im not high on Gibril, so I think it would be in our best interest to let him go, move Demps back to his SS position, and plug Weddle right in at FS and not miss a beat.

Also, with Demps coming off injury as you stated, theres a chance that another injury can occur. We have little depth behind him. We could use a guy like Weddle who can play (and is willing to play) any DB position.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:09 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
His potential in the 3-4 has rose his stock. At his current frame, he's great at 3-4 DE.

But I think with his intelligence and work ethic, we can get him up to 300 lbs and use him as a UT. For this year, we can use him situationally and as an extra body. The following year is when I expect him to really take the next step.
I don't think he could be a 3-4 end either. He doesn't have long enough arms and he is stout at the point of attack. He is a penetrator. And not a quick one either. He is very intelligent and a captain. He best ability is timing a snap count. I watch every single Notre Dame game. To the point where I don't get to catch as many other college games as I would like. I just can't see Landri being worth a 4th rounder. To me he is strictly a 4-3 UT. Also he has already put on a bunch of weight to get up to the 288 he is at now. He played in the low 270's at ND.

As for the rest of the draft I like it. I just wanted to comment on Landri because I have seen him that high twice now and I feel like I have seen him play more than most in the Giants forum.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:12 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead10 View Post
I don't think he could be a 3-4 end either. He doesn't have long enough arms and he is stout at the point of attack. He is a penetrator. And not a quick one either. He is very intelligent and a captain. He best ability is timing a snap count. I watch every single Notre Dame game. To the point where I don't get to catch as many other college games as I would like. I just can't see Landri being worth a 4th rounder. To me he is strictly a 4-3 UT. Also he has already put on a bunch of weight to get up to the 288 he is at now. He played in the low 270's at ND.

As for the rest of the draft I like it. I just wanted to comment on Landri because I have seen him that high twice now and I feel like I have seen him play more than most in the Giants forum.
I wouldve went Kareem Brown, but I just felt Landri's intangibles are more worth it. Like I said, he's more of a developmental player who would be an extra body this upcoming year. Our Dline coach has turned water to wine before, I think he can get the most out of Landri. This DT class is real weak anyway.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:57 AM    (permalink
GiantRutgersFan
Veteran

GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like it. I like it a lot. If thats our draft, I would be extremely happy. I like Ramirez, but if theres a WR like Jason Hill available, I would probably go WR then take a linemen in the 5th.

But I would love if that was our draft
Old 04-13-2007, 01:42 PM    (permalink
ricky bobby
Pro Bowler

Location: Oh please give me a good reputation. I'm so concerned with what you think about me!
ricky bobby hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

1. I like Poz, but he might not be 20 overall worthy. I think that if one of the top 3 CBs (Revis, Houston or Hall) are available, which they will be, we should take one. If Timmons is available I would take over Poz also

2. Weddle's college production is very intruiging, but I think we should take a CB. If we take Poz in round one, we should look at Eric Wright, or Josh Wilson in round 2.

3. Ramirez is alright, but we should be looking at OT depth.

4. I would lean towards a runstuffer rather than a UT. I think We should draft a guy like Laron Harris or Walter Thomas in round 5, and have Cofield playing UT in the long run along with one of those guys at NT.

5. Love Walker, great size, great speed, and that is why he won't be around in round 5.

6. Wolfe is a good pick at that point.

I'll make a quickie
1. Lawrence Timmons OLB
2. Josh Wilson CB
3. Laurent Robinson WR
4. Mario Henderson OT
5. Laron Harris or Walter Thomas (both massive, athletic runstuffers)
6. Best TE available
7. Best S available
7. Best RB available
ricky bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 02:07 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i love Weddle and have since the end of the college season. I think he'd play CB for us, but his versatility is great. dont know much about Landri but depth at DT never hurts.

very good mock though
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 04:10 PM    (permalink
hugegmenfan
Pro Bowler

hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky bobby View Post
1. I like Poz, but he might not be 20 overall worthy. I think that if one of the top 3 CBs (Revis, Houston or Hall) are available, which they will be, we should take one. If Timmons is available I would take over Poz also

2. Weddle's college production is very intruiging, but I think we should take a CB. If we take Poz in round one, we should look at Eric Wright, or Josh Wilson in round 2.

3. Ramirez is alright, but we should be looking at OT depth.

4. I would lean towards a runstuffer rather than a UT. I think We should draft a guy like Laron Harris or Walter Thomas in round 5, and have Cofield playing UT in the long run along with one of those guys at NT.

5. Love Walker, great size, great speed, and that is why he won't be around in round 5.

6. Wolfe is a good pick at that point.

I'll make a quickie
1. Lawrence Timmons OLB
2. Josh Wilson CB
3. Laurent Robinson WR
4. Mario Henderson OT
5. Laron Harris or Walter Thomas (both massive, athletic runstuffers)
6. Best TE available
7. Best S available
7. Best RB available
I like this mock better truthfully. I am not a big fan of poz and i think taking eric weddle 2nd round would be dumb because he wouldnt start and we need impact players for key positions. Im still high on timmons although most people are not. Josh Wilson is going to be a fantastic CB imo. Robinson is a good pick 3rd round

sig by jkpigskin

2007 SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS

2011 SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS
hugegmenfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 10:11 PM    (permalink
GiantRutgersFan
Veteran

GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

^weddle might start dude. he could perform then move Demps over. but idk
Old 04-13-2007, 10:50 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Giant fans need to stop overrating Gibril Wilson. He's simply not that good of a player. Average.

We'll move Demps over to SS after this year, maybe even this year, and Weddle could play FS.

heck, he can even play CB if need be.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:25 PM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
I think with the draft approaching soon, I think all of us pretty much have a good understanding of players and what to expect etc. I don't think my opinion will sway any from now until draft day, so here's my final "wishlist" if you will.

This board was made with the following criteria

1. Players must have high character and display leadership
2. Players must have intelligence
3. Instincts
4. Production

And with that, here's the board

Assuming Reggie Nelson is off the board

1. Paul Posluszny (SAM)
2. Eric Weddle (FS)
3. Manuel Ramirez (OG)
4. Derek Landri (DT)
5. Mike Walker (WR)
6. Garrett Wolffe (RB/WR hybrid)
7. BPA

If Reggie Nelson is available, we have to take him in round 1. He's too good of a player to pass up.

Otherwise, its Poz all the way. One of my bud's showed me some stuff on him, and after watching some more film, Im officially sold. This kid is a player. He's gonna be a steal. Willis is great too, but he won't be available. Poz is gonna be a great addition if we get him.

Eric Weddle is the FS version of Poz. Everything you look for.

Manuel Ramirez is a leader, and a great addition to the power run game, again, more high character

Derek Landri is another high character guy with a high motor. He'd be more of a rotation guy. He'll need a year to pack on some weight. But he has all the intangibles, and he's smart enough to make up for his lack of current physical ability. I think he'll show more impact in 2008/9 when he gets an offseason to pack on 10/15 pounds. But he's a great character guy with a high motor, great work ethic, and he's smart. Good value at round 4.

Mike Walker is an Amani Toomer insurance policy. Again, high character, good hands, will go up the middle. He doesn't have the breakaway speed but we have Sinorice for that. This guy is here as an insuranc policy to Toomer. I think he fits the bill perfectly.

Garrett Wolffe is great value at round 6. He's another developmental player. We would use him the way NO uses Reggie Bush. A WR/RB hybrid. He can be our spread offense RB, he's tough as nails and very productive. You can develop his WR skills in TC. Another guy who would have a bigger impact in 08/9 after some development. But again, for round 6, youre getting great value. This guy will drop because of measureables, but they forgot to measure his heart at the combine.

Round 7 is a crapshoot. BPA.

So there ya have it. All high character guys that will help clean up our lockerroom. Guys who are smart, productive, instinctual, leaders, team players etc. We need this on our team. This draft would be a good start.

In a perfect world, that is my wishlist.

Note: I did not take any CBs. The day 2 value at CB wasn't worth it, and I think we would be passing up on some great talent to force the CB "need" had we gone for one in round 1 or 2. I wont be upset if we get one, but I rather not. This CB class is rather weak if you ask me. The only day 2 CB worth the risk is Tanard Jackson, but he has character issues. So I shyed away from him.

Players I like as day 2 steals that I shyed away from because we didn't need them:

Marvin White
Darius Walker (if he's there at round 4)
Lorenzo Booker (we'd have to take him earlier than I would like. Id nab him if we didn't get Droughns)
Kyle Young (although I wouldn't mind at all if we got him)

...Im probably forgetting some names at the moment.
-I like the Poz pick as he has been my #1 OLB for awhile now, and I think we need a young LB to build around. In terms of him being our SAM...eh. I think he could certainly handle the postion and play it well, but I think he would contribute earlier or at a higer level at WILL. He isn't the fastest LB in the world but he has a quicker first few steps than Wilkinson and I prefer Mitchell at SAM because of his coverage ability and strength. Long term, you could definitely shift Poz over to SAM but right away I prefer him at WILL.

-Not in love with the Weddle pick. Not sure where anyone gets this CB talk because unless we are playing a zone based scheme, he won't play CB here. Yes he has instincts, yes he is a playmaker, yes he brings intangibles to the table. Not saying I hate the pick but I think we could get better value at safety in the 3rd-4th-5th round.

-I'd like to bring in a young guard that can compete right away, I don't want Seubert starting at LG. Ramirez would give us a mauler that can hold his own in pass protection, good value there. Anytime you can get a starter in round 3, you'd have to be happy with the pick and I think Ramirez could start from day one.

-Hate the Landri pick, the worst of this mock IMO. I don't see him finding a niche in the NFL unless he could find a Cover 2 scheme that just lets him fly after the passer on 3rd downs. You don't want him here because he'll get owned by the bigger linemen on running plays and his quickness won't be as disruptive at the next level.

-Walker would solid value in round 5, high ceiling there. I'd prefer WR earlier in the draft, maybe instead of Weddle? But if we do wait until day 2, Walker would be nice.

-Wolfe would be a nice guy to have on the roster, someone who brings versatility and some big play potential. He really doesn't seem too attractive in terms of size of course, but even his speed and quickness seem sub par at times. But maybe he could develop into something that could be used in the future as a scat back.

-So basically...I'd replace Weddle with a Craig Davis, Anthony Gonzalez, Aundrae Allison type WR and put in a FS in round 4, hopefully Marvin White. Maybe pick up a TE in round 5? Can't forget about TE here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes99ej View Post
These last 50 seconds will define Eli Manning.
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Number 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 08:28 AM    (permalink
G-Men88
Rookie

G-Men88 could make a wolverine purr.G-Men88 could make a wolverine purr.G-Men88 could make a wolverine purr.G-Men88 could make a wolverine purr.G-Men88 could make a wolverine purr.G-Men88 could make a wolverine purr.

Don't really like it. Wouldn't mind the Poz pick but there will be better value at 20. With all the needs we have we shouldn't take a FS in the 2nd considering he wouldn't start, I agree with Number10 that should be adressed around the 4th round. I like the Ramirez pick. The 4th Round pick is a HUGE reach. Remember, this is coming from a Notre Dame fan. Landri isn't big enough to be an impact DT in the NFL. Mike Walker most likely won't be there in the 5th, but if he is I like the pick. My mock:

1. Jon Beason LB Miami
2. Marcus McCaulley CB Fresno State
3. Jason Hill WR Washington State
4. Marshall Yanda OG Iowa
5. Michael Johnson S Arizona
6. Joe Newton TE Oregon State
7a. Garret Wolfe RB Northern Illinois
7b. Jeremy Clark DT Alabama
G-Men88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 10:21 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not a fan of 1 and 6, but everyone else is cool with me.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 06:57 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 View Post
-I like the Poz pick as he has been my #1 OLB for awhile now, and I think we need a young LB to build around. In terms of him being our SAM...eh. I think he could certainly handle the postion and play it well, but I think he would contribute earlier or at a higer level at WILL. He isn't the fastest LB in the world but he has a quicker first few steps than Wilkinson and I prefer Mitchell at SAM because of his coverage ability and strength. Long term, you could definitely shift Poz over to SAM but right away I prefer him at WILL.
This is the thing though. If we start him at WILL, then we have Mitchell at SAM like you said. I think our LB core has more potential with a starting trio of Wilk, AP, and Poz. I think Poz is strong enough and instinctual enough to handle the run at SAM, especially when he has Strahan in front of him. And I like his abilities in coverage as well. I think he can do a fine job against the TE. Putting him there allows us to have the speedy Wilk at WILL which would give us the edge speed we need. I like Chase, but Im coming to the sad realization that we're gonna lose him in FA. While Poz may produce at a higher level at WILL, I think our LB core as a whole will be better with him at SAM. But either way, you can't go wrong.

Quote:
-Not in love with the Weddle pick. Not sure where anyone gets this CB talk because unless we are playing a zone based scheme, he won't play CB here. Yes he has instincts, yes he is a playmaker, yes he brings intangibles to the table. Not saying I hate the pick but I think we could get better value at safety in the 3rd-4th-5th round.
I don't really get why you don't like Weddle. I like Marvin White alot myself, but I just like the intangibles this guy brings to the table. With so many breakdowns in coverage last year, I think the more brains the better. Having Weddle, Poz, AP, and Demps (SS) on the field puts alot of brains and instincts out there. Id love that. Of course Merriweather is the sexier pick, but FS is more of a bluecollar position anyway. If we can't get Reggie Nelson, I rather just get a smart instinctual blue collar guy at that position who can help navigate the secondary.

Quote:
-I'd like to bring in a young guard that can compete right away, I don't want Seubert starting at LG. Ramirez would give us a mauler that can hold his own in pass protection, good value there. Anytime you can get a starter in round 3, you'd have to be happy with the pick and I think Ramirez could start from day one.
I wouldve went Tackle, but theres simply no value at Tackle beyond round 1 in this draft. This is a very weak Tackle draft. So I think the best way to improve our line is get a mauler at OG who can improve the run game as much as possible. What Im scared of however, is if he is available at our pick. Ramirez has generated lots of interest all over. He may be an early 3rd rounder, which would suck for us. What round do you have him projected at?

Quote:
-Hate the Landri pick, the worst of this mock IMO. I don't see him finding a niche in the NFL unless he could find a Cover 2 scheme that just lets him fly after the passer on 3rd downs. You don't want him here because he'll get owned by the bigger linemen on running plays and his quickness won't be as disruptive at the next level.
I'll readily admit I pushed my luck with this pick. Now after our FA signing, its a moot point anyway. I was just scared of grabbing a day 2 DT with poor work ethic. All the potential "diamonds" in day 2 are fat lazy guys, or guys with character issues. I was hoping that with a guy with his work ethic and intelligence, that maybe we could unearth a developmental player who would be a good player in 08/9 with this pick. It was a shot in the dark type of pick.

Quote:
-Walker would solid value in round 5, high ceiling there. I'd prefer WR earlier in the draft, maybe instead of Weddle? But if we do wait until day 2, Walker would be nice.
I think if we don't go FS in round 2, we should go CB. I hate drafting CBs myself, but I think the issue at DB has to be addressed early one way or another. I like Marvin White in the later rounds, and I won't be mad at all if we went that route, but I also don't want to go WR early when you can have a Mike Walker on day 2.

Id probably sub out Landri with Walker in round 4 to ensure we get him, and hope White is there at round 5. If not, trade our 5th + 7th to move up to nab White, if thats possible.

You know, just when i thought the Giants won't make any moves, I write up a mock draft, and then they sign some guys, lol. Now my mock is dated. Oh well.
Old 04-15-2007, 11:10 AM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Heh. Don't be afraid to update it BBD.

I really like Weddle, but I just can't see him being a fit for us this particular season. I think so many people like him because of his versatility - I mean, he's got good talent, but I think it's a little over done in my opinion.

That and the fact safety isn't as much of a concern for me as cornerback is. Wilson, McCauley and Wright are potential starters as rookies and at the very least can play the nickle and develop.

How about instead of Landri in the fourth we go for James Marten? He might be a steal and will likely be around at our pick in the fourth. Would give us some depth at Left Tackle at the very least and could develop into something more.