Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 07-30-2012, 09:32 AM    (permalink
Bixby (Thumper)
Rookie

Location: "Everybody sounds like Meryl Streep with a gun to their head."
Bixby (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bixby (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bixby (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bixby (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bixby (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bixby (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bixby (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bixby (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bixby (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bixby (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bixby (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

People hyping up the Seahawks? Cue the 49ers fans throwing a ***** fit in 5… 4… 3… 2…
Bixby (Thumper) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:33 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
The 49ers have the same problem, do they not? Neither team has a great qb. Both teams have great defenses. Both teams should have good run games.

It could come down to health and execution by their respective game manager qbs.

Consistency is very difficult in the NFL if you don't have a franchise qb. The 49ers do not have one. I don't think it's a lock that they have a repeat performance from last year.
Yeah, but the difference is Alex Smith has already done it. Can Jackson/Flynn/Wilson?
Old 07-30-2012, 09:37 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post
Yeah, but the difference is Alex Smith has already done it. Can Jackson/Flynn/Wilson?
I'm betting on Flynn to be the guy. And I'm guessing he'll be a game manager. He's capable. He's done it before. Granted he had a ton more talent around him, but he's still done it before.

I'm just saying...it's not going to be easy for SF. They're in for a fight. That division won't be decided by week 10 like a lot ppl assume.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:37 AM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd say that in the division the other two teams are being slept on people have been coming around to the Seahawks since NFL.com made their bold predictions about them winning the division. But the Cards were no pushovers by the end of the season and the Rams still have by far the best QB situation.

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.
Brothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:45 AM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I know the division pretty well, and when I make my wagers I won't make them with Seahawks-colored goggles.

The cold hard truth is that Flynn will be making his THIRD career start when he starts in Week One. It's just hard to back a QB with such little experience, on a new team with so many questions at receiver and OL. Even if Flynn becomes a good one, it might take a year or two... it's scary.

The 49ers have an excellent program because of their head coach, and their talent level on defense is undeniable. All Alex Smith has to be is average for them to win 10+ games. I hate them, but I believe in the program Harbaugh has established. They're going to be tough for a long time.

Arizona is sketchy to me because they have a really good defense and the best offensive player in the division. Unfortunately for them, Kolb is the QB and their OL still sucks. They feel 7-9ish again because of those concerns. I think Ryan Williams has a big year but Kolb's just too inconsistent for me so I'm not expecting a breakout.

I will call for the Rams to be a big-time sleeper this year. They have a good defense, should be able to run the ball, and I expect to see better OL play and an improved Bradford as a result. Jeff Fisher is a hell of a coach, and his impact should be felt immediately. Their potential last year showed in that win against the Saints. Fisher will get the best out of them. They'll be tougher mentally and physically and I like their young DL. They also boast one of the top CB duos in the league.

So there you go, a Seahawks fan calling for a breakout year from the freaking Rams, tempering expectations (I just think it's unrealistic to think a new QB is going to step in and make this team THAT much better RIGHT AWAY), and acknowledging that the 49ers will remain legitimate contenders, despite a lot of people forecasting a drop-off.

Still early, but my picks will likely look something like this:

49ers 11-5
Rams 9-7
Seahawks 6-10
Cardinals 6-10
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:48 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I honestly wouldn't be shocked if all 4 teams have a shot at the division. I really wouldn't.

St. Louis has the best qb, whom I'm a believer of, who will get Amendola back, has some WRs who are unproven but better than what he has had in the past, a potentially dangerous DL, solid CBs, a solid LB core, great run game. It will come down to how Bradford clicks with that WR core, how the OL holds up, and ultimately how Bradford plays.

Arizona has a tough defense, good WRs, but they lack a run game, OL, and qb. If they can get production there they could be in it.

Seattle is pretty much loaded outside of qb and OL.

These teams have talent. A lot more talent than they're getting credit for.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:49 AM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

To kind of take a step back and defend Seattle for a moment - they played SF REAL TOUGH twice with T-Joke under center...

They'll be competitive in most games regardless of who's at QB. I just think they'll fall short more often than not.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:49 AM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
I honestly wouldn't be shocked if all 4 teams have a shot at the division. I really wouldn't.

St. Louis has the best qb, whom I'm a believer of, who will get Amendola back, has some WRs who are unproven but better than what he has had in the past, a potentially dangerous DL, solid CBs, a solid LB core, great run game. It will come down to how Bradford clicks with that WR core, how the OL holds up, and ultimately how Bradford plays.

Arizona has a tough defense, good WRs, but they lack a run game, OL, and qb. If they can get production there they could be in it.

Seattle is pretty much loaded outside of qb and OL.

These teams have talent. A lot more talent than they're getting credit for.
And our guy Other Steve Smith. I wouldn't be shocked at all to see him lead the team in catches, yards, and TDs.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:53 AM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post
It's going to be all about the QBs for the other 3 teams. Hell, even all 4 teams have reasonable questions there.

I'm not a Bradford guy like most here seem to be, and I think he'll be closer being called a bust than a great QB by the end of this year. That's my feeling on the matter.
I'm in agreement with you here. I wan't high on Bradford coming into the NFL and he hasn't done all that much to change my mind. If I'm the St. Louis management and they finish with a top-3 pick again, I would strongly consider drafting Barkley-Bray-Wilson or whoever is the top rated QB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 
jrdrylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:58 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
And our guy Other Steve Smith. I wouldn't be shocked at all to see him lead the team in catches, yards, and TDs.
Stevey <3

I hope his career isn't over. If he just listened to the Giants, what could have been...
Old 07-30-2012, 10:35 AM    (permalink
Thecollegedropout
Veteran

Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Too bad the Rams have this abomination of a Offensive Coordinator set to ruin Bradford...

Seen enough of him to not think highly of any offense he runs.
Thecollegedropout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:03 AM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bixby View Post
People hyping up the Seahawks? Cue the 49ers fans throwing a ***** fit in 5… 4… 3… 2…
Why we would throw a fit? I said the 'Hawks and the Niners both make the playoffs couple of months ago. The Hawks will be right there with us, I have no problem admitting that. And if Lockette is as good as they've been saying so far, its going to be that much tougher. I think the world of their defense. Those two games this year are going to epic.
VAfy-ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:44 AM    (permalink
V.I.P
Pro Bowler

V.I.P is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.V.I.P is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.V.I.P is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.V.I.P is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.V.I.P is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.V.I.P is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.V.I.P is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.V.I.P is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.V.I.P is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.V.I.P is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.V.I.P is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Vincent Jackson has been tearing it up in camp... But i don't know what to think though. Can't remember the last receiver to sign a big free agent contract and actually produce for his new team.

Vincent Jackson burning Aqib Talib

Mike Will & V-Jax
V.I.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:00 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Joey Galloway

tim brown
Old 07-30-2012, 12:06 PM    (permalink
WCH
Pro Bowler

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It seems like most of the let-downs have been #2 WRs who have to be the #1 guy on their new team. It's the Alvin Harper Effect.
WCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:10 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

So apparently the Jaguars are having an awful start to their training camp, and Blaine Gabbert is still awful.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:11 PM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Mularkey and Gabbert are going to provide so many laughs this year.
SuperMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:13 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Aren't the Jags on national television a bunch of times this year too?
Old 07-30-2012, 12:18 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

If Gabbert's that bad Henne will just win the job. Henne's not awful.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:23 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

They won't give up on Gabbert that quickly. He'll get all of this year to prove himself. Or at least 2/3 of the year.

But if they commit to him beyond this year they're just being stubborn.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:27 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

Well the new coaching staff has no ties to Gabbert so I'd expect Henne to win the job if he's even slightly better.

And on the subject of the Seahawks, they seem like a pretty polarizing topic. The NFLN guys Casserly and Lombardi basically just said they don't think they'll come close to the playoffs. And they didn't even cite the QB situation as a reason. They were concerned with the OL and the pass rush. It's going to be a very interesting year. And I'd argue that of all the teams in the NFL, the Seahawks have the most important preseason.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:32 PM    (permalink
WCH
Pro Bowler

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What's the story with Shahid Khan? Is he an absentee owner, or is he a football junkie who takes an interest in personnel moves?

His opinion of Gabbert could be the most important factor.
WCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:44 PM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCH View Post
What's the story with Shahid Khan? Is he an absentee owner, or is he a football junkie who takes an interest in personnel moves?

His opinion of Gabbert could be the most important factor.
Khan isn't absentee but he also isn't hands-on like a Davis, Jones, or Snyder. I'd say he's kind of in the middle. For example, he wants his son to have some influence or position within the team but not before he proves he can handle it.

Edit: The Jags don't have a lot of national games. Their only prime time game is a Thursday night game against Indianapolis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 
jrdrylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:13 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdrylie View Post
Khan isn't absentee but he also isn't hands-on like a Davis, Jones, or Snyder. I'd say he's kind of in the middle. For example, he wants his son to have some influence or position within the team but not before he proves he can handle it.

Edit: The Jags don't have a lot of national games. Their only prime time game is a Thursday night game against Indianapolis.
Thank christ....they were abysmal to watch last year and seemed to end up with far more prime time games than they deserved.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:17 PM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaarat316 View Post
Joey Galloway

tim brown
Santana Moss.

Vincent Jackson will be fine. It's the rest of the Bucs offense that needs to step it up.