Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 07-24-2012, 09:06 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Two things interesting to me about the Otah signing. One is that a few years ago when Williams and Stewart went bananas rushing the ball, I believe Otah's rookie year but maybe a year or two after, he was viewed as a potentially dominant right tackle. He did a great job run blocking, which is a perfect fit for what this team is going to try to do. Just shows that the intention is to be a dominant running team.

The other thing is that Otah is in a contract year. This seems to be a trend with Tannenbaum, trading draft picks for guys in contract years with question marks. In Otah's case, conventional wisdom is that he can't stay healthy and he's soft, unmotivated. Well right now he's supposedly healthy, and a contract can be a really nice motivating factor especially when you're put in a scheme that fits your strengths.

I could see Otah having a good year because of that. It's also perfectly reasonable to expect that he will continue to be soft, get banged up, probably not play all 16 games, and not really be a worthwhile acquisition. But let's hypothetically say he plays well. Then comes the issue of whether or not you re-sign him. Tannenbaum has tended to do that with his short-term acquisitions, but with Otah's history I'm not sure I would. Getting a bit ahead of myself, but that was my thought process anyway. I really hope it works out for this year, and if it does they don't overpay to bring him back.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:27 PM    (permalink
The Great Jonathan Vilma
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really like the Otah signing, however I reserve judgement until the actual compensation is more clearly identified. Assuming the price was reasonable I am very happy with the transaction. Great to have another serviceable RT to compete for the job as I don't believe one was currently on the roster. Lets hope he is healthy and motivated. This should be a low-risk high-reward move, but lets see if it truly is that when we know what pick(s) went the other way.

Courtesy of Fenikz - Much Appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by dRaFtDoRk View Post
You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.
The Great Jonathan Vilma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:51 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have no qualms with acquiring Jeff Otah. I don't like any OL with bum back, let alone back problem and 2 knee surgeries. If Otah does not work out then forking over 7th round pick is hardly a scream over.

I heard he was lazy and had no desire to play football so I hope he does not weigh more than 330. If he weighs good, he could have a chance to feel good and play again. We will see.
YotoJets007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:49 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Location: "Im against Picketing, but I don't know how to show it"-Mitch Hedberg
josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Otah may not be a jet for long. He failed his physical and has 7 days to pass or hes back in Carolina.
josh07039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:30 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh07039 View Post
Otah may not be a jet for long. He failed his physical and has 7 days to pass or hes back in Carolina.
A week to get ready? who the hell would succeed that way?
Old 07-26-2012, 09:27 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well honestly better he fails his physical now and the trade gets voided than the trade goes through and he can't play in camp/during the season. There's a good chance he gets cut, so maybe they can still take a flier and keep the pick anyway if he chooses to sign here. Still disappointing, but we knew there was a chance this went nowhere anyway.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:27 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YotoJets007 View Post
A week to get ready? who the hell would succeed that way?
Maybe you should either be in shape or not be a professional football player. If hes too injured to pass, then I don't want him anyhow.
Old 07-27-2012, 02:04 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

If the Otah trade is voided then Howard, Ducasse and Hunter compete for RT job. Is that correct?
Old 07-27-2012, 11:04 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by YotoJets007 View Post
If the Otah trade is voided then Howard, Ducasse and Hunter compete for RT job. Is that correct?
I think as the team stands now essentially Hunter wins the job by default and maybe Howard sneaks out with it. Ducasse is currently splitting reps with Slauson at LG so I don't think he's in the mix. I would imagine there's a chance of trying to bring in another veteran though, wouldn't be surprised if they took a shot on Vernon Carey since I think he's still a FA and he's got some background with Sparano. Not like an Otah who isn't healthy enough to pass a physical was going to win a starting job anyway though.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:34 AM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Jeff Otah is unsurprisingly out. Oh well!

28 hanging up will be on September 9th and 90 hanging up will be on October 28. I hope both will be televised in my area.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:40 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

I am really sick of the Jets coverage on espn. Its just too much. I dont give a **** how much weight sanchez and tebow added. I dont give a **** what cormartie says. I dont a give a **** that chaz shilens is offended (really? really? ******* ******). I would like to have less coverage but actually hear a little more about what is actually going on. I just pray that Stephen Hill can be good because I dont want to rely on Shilens who has some potential but has never really produced. I heard a few good things a bout hill, and i didn't hear anything about him getting angry with Cro so thats a plus with me.

The funny part is that despite all the coverage about Tebow being a big part of the offense and cromartie take snaps with the offense, there really hasnt been much talk of them tangibly doing much. I know it will probably change to an extent, but I think it would be hillarious if the Jets just kept talking about other ideas ranging from kinda crazy to just crazy. Have mangold play rt, go for two every time with tebow offense, move cro to safety to just be a stupid center fielder, etc. Just confuse the hell out of teams and barely do any trick stuff. Obviously it probably wouldn't fool many coaches, but the idea of feeding the media all kinds of nonsense would amuse the hell out of me.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:14 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Honestly I don't even watch ESPN anymore, and that's a large part of it.

As for some of the stuff in that post, it does seem like Hill is doing pretty well. That's encouraging. Obviously the dude is pretty raw, he's getting thrown into the fire expected to start as a rookie, he doesn't exactly have outstanding quarterbacks throwing him the ball, and he's got some good cornerbacks covering him in practice. If he listens to veteran receivers and gets some help from Revis on his technique I think he's going to be solid. Just has to get a ton of reps and work hard on his own time. Haven't really heard anything bad about him, and he can definitely block.

Also I'm with you on them talking about doing stuff. Honestly I think they're partially talking about how they're going to use Tebow just to screw with teams. Make them take time to prepare for something other than standard stuff. Then don't do anything for a few weeks, just when they decide not to prepare for it anymore use him as a decoy just to screw with them some more. I don't think they're going to do most of the stuff that they say they will.

Interesting situation to me is how the running backs fall into place. For the past two seasons, in my opinion at least, Shonn Greene has sucked. He hasn't proven that he's an NFL caliber running back or anyone who can get anything better than what's blocked, if he can even get that. Not a threat to catch the ball out of the backfield because his hands are terrible, and not a big play threat either. I just don't see the appeal at all. He's a one dimensional power back who isn't that good at his one dimension. I'd like to see somebody take the starting job away from him, and I think there's a chance. One, apparently Bilal Powell (after I assumed he'd probably get cut after how terrible he was last year) has really been flashing, as has McKnight, and Greene (not surprisingly) has looked ordinary. If that continues I think they have to give those two more carries. Ganaway may not be bad either. I know McKnight and Powell are in competition for the third down back job too, since Greene (thank goodness) won't be playing third downs. Hopefully whoever wins that can work their way into some regular work. Would be nice to have a back more explosive than Greene who can catch the ball on every down.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:04 PM    (permalink
Old School
Rookie

Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Anyone else out there reading all the hype about Doug Martin and thinking ...... damn ....... I'd sure love to have a "Ray Rice" for ground n' pound ???

As for the ESPN media, I am shocked every day that the Jets get more coverage than most other NFL teams. Must really piss off Giant fans. Try to watch Mike and Mike. No bias coverage there by Greeny or anything. I hope they are just trying to mess with coaches heads like said on this thread. But otherwise I just feel like we keep a target on our back.
Old School is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 01:44 AM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Shonn Greene's problem is that he doesnt have an extra gear. He starts out going as hard and fast as he can go and thats just where he is throughout the run. He doesnt sneak up on anyone or surprise. Hes not a huge guy who can be a bruiser so hes just below average. He is not good. He will be better if the line gets better, but he is not good. Im hoping someone steps up. We all know runningbacks sometimes just appear.

Also, he has stone hands so he cant be a reliable receiving threat. He is not good.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:50 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Greene is not a type of home run runner but he has improved every season. This year is a dangerous season for him because Jets are committing to run oriented offense with him starting in the backfield. If he can't run 7 runs or move the chain within 3 downs then Jets have a problem.

RB depth looks like this.

Greene- in charge or majority of snaps.
McKnight- 3rd down catcher or platooning Greene.
Powell- in the wing of future or blessing in disguise prop.
Ganaway- 1 yard or goalline brusier.
Connor- FB as a runner.
Tebow- Wildcat runner.

I don't know if this group will produce above average run game but I certainly hope left side of OL improves in the run game. Otherwise, we keep pointing fingers at Greene most of time for struggling run game.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:32 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

http://newyork.sbnation.com/new-york...ess-conference

WR problem? what is new.. lol
Old 08-03-2012, 10:42 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

I disagree that Greene has improved every season. He was awesome the end of his rookie year, then fell off considerably his second year when he was going to get handed the starting job and LT took it from him. Last year he wasn't outstanding either, LT got some run, and the run game really fell off a cliff completely. I think he's an end of game closer with no ability to contribute as a receiver or a home run threat who at best gets what's blocked unless he's fresh and the defense is tired and he can run over people. Plus he gets dinged up too.
Old 08-03-2012, 12:21 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
I disagree that Greene has improved every season. He was awesome the end of his rookie year, then fell off considerably his second year when he was going to get handed the starting job and LT took it from him. Last year he wasn't outstanding either, LT got some run, and the run game really fell off a cliff completely. I think he's an end of game closer with no ability to contribute as a receiver or a home run threat who at best gets what's blocked unless he's fresh and the defense is tired and he can run over people. Plus he gets dinged up too.

If you sought for a complete RB then you wasted your time. Greene is not a complete RB to begin with. Just go with his natural. Greene has improved annually.

First season: small role and burst. 5 ypc. 38 ypg.
77 more carries.
Second season: platooning with LT. 4 ypc. 51 ypg.
77 more carries.
Third season: first time full starter. 4 ypc. 65 ypg.

After 77 more carries, 2012 season is expected to be a big game from Greene by his RB coach. It wont happen unless left side improves in run game. His shoulder health is also a concern because he does not move forward after contact that well.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:40 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

I don't really see how that's an annual improvement. Year 2 to year 3 I get that his role increased and his production stayed about the same or got slightly better, but his first year to his second year his production dropped off considerably.

Plus if you watch the games, he's just not a very effective runner. I think he could easily be upgraded. The line isn't that bad at run blocking, he's just not a great back.
Old 08-04-2012, 07:37 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Recap of today's scrimmage: http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...flops-in-debut

Not mentioned in that blog but rookie LB Demario Davis played pretty well.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:34 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricanes25 View Post
Recap of today's scrimmage: http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...flops-in-debut

Not mentioned in that blog but rookie LB Demario Davis played pretty well.

Sanchez outplayed Tebow? What the hell is that? Are they competing for starting job?

Kffl message said that Powell has a shot to be number 2 RB. Good for him and disappoint in McKnight.

Landry hurt? wonderful.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:36 PM    (permalink
Old School
Rookie

Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Biggest news from the Green & White Scrimmage has to be Holmes' rib that was "visibly sticking out". The Jets have what could be the worst WR depth in the NFL and our only true proven threat is hurt. Load the box, stop the Jets. Not feeling great about our offense.

On another note, have to give a shout out to Curtis "My Favorite" Martin on his NFL HOF induction. Class act that could probably still help the Jets today !!!
Old 08-04-2012, 10:17 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

No broken rib for Holmes. Whew!

Curtis Martin's speech is nice.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:18 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Game against Bengals tonight at 730 on nfln. I will only watch the game until 10pm.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:35 PM    (permalink
Old School
Rookie

Coples is a beast !!! I don't see any issues with his motor. Feeling great about this pick at the moment.

I'm ashamed to say, but it's honest, I was more interested in watching Tebow lead the offense than Sanchez. And I am the rare Sanchez defender with family and friends. Probably the novelty. Overall, our "Vanilla" offense has me thinking that the Jets "D" will need to pitch some shutouts in order to win.