Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Kansas City Chiefs Team Forum

Kansas City Chiefs Team Forum Discuss the Chiefs

Old 01-19-2010, 10:59 AM    (permalink
T-RICH49
All-NFLDC

T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default The Berry vs McClain debate

so I have been thinking about who I want KC to take should both be there at 5 so some pro's and con's on each player

Eric Berry, S, Tennessee:

Pro's: Ed Reed type balhawking skills that this secondary outside Flowers lacks.pair him with Flowers in the secondary and that is a heck of a tandem for years to come.a special talent

Con's: no con's on picking Berry however KC does need to also address ILB which was a problem.when Demorrio Williams and Corey Mays are your starting ILB's you have issues

Rolando McClain, ILB, Alabama

Pro's: Smart instinctive leader on that championship Bama D.always is taking charge and lining up guys in the right spot a Pioli type of guy IMO.like Berry a special talent

con's: no con's on McClain.although KC also needs to address secondary(when you let Jabar Gaffney go Brandon Marshall on you then the secondary needs an upgrade)

overall take: I believe Eric Berry will probably be gone by 5 but if both are then the those are the only two options Pioli should consider
Old 01-19-2010, 11:04 AM    (permalink
zachsaints52
Asian Batista
All-Pro

zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

McClain most def.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:18 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The con's with Berry are that there are tons of other really good (not on Berry's level) safeties in this draft. There aren't any half-decent options for ILB after McClain. McClain is an instant leader for the defense... He'll be their Ray Lewis.
nepg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 11:22 AM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

In our system we rely on our LB's alot right now we are relying on Mays and Williams?

To upgrade your back field while still having a weak front seven is kinda pointless, it would be like taking a RB high in the draft when your line sucks.

Last edited by Splat : 01-19-2010 at 11:25 AM.
Splat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 11:42 AM    (permalink
zachsaints52
Asian Batista
All-Pro

zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
The con's with Berry are that there are tons of other really good (not on Berry's level) safeties in this draft. There aren't any half-decent options for ILB after McClain. McClain is an instant leader for the defense... He'll be their Ray Lewis.
I dont see him being their Ray Lewis any time soon. Do they have a NT to help McClain like Ray had Ngate/Gregg and Sirogusa before? But I agree he should be their pick.
Old 01-19-2010, 01:02 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree with what was said.

McClain and Berry are clearly the elite players at their positions this year, but there is a much much bigger dropoff in talent from McClain to the next ILB and Berry and the next safety.

I LOVE Berry, always have, but this is a very good safety class (where 6 safeties could go in the top 2 rounds) and the ILB class isn't as good. McClain must be the pick. We can pick up a very good safety in the second round but the ILB pickings there will be slim.

Besides, we're not going to win anything if we can't stop the run.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 05:47 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I just hope if we do take one of them that we don't have to play the one we didn't take twice a year.

If we take Berry I could see Denver taking McClain and that is not something I want to see.

Last edited by Splat : 01-19-2010 at 08:57 PM.
Splat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 06:33 PM    (permalink
Hermstheman83
Veteran

Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd like to point out one good reason to pick McClain.
Junior Seau<--HOF Linebacker retired at 42(?) but let's say he stopped being effective at 35
Ed Reed<---HOF Safety, is thinking about retiring at 32.

That's three good years we don't have to think about ILB. If they are both considered elite talent. Then this should be a difference you look at. Also safeties tend to get banged up a lot nowadays.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:12 PM    (permalink
Ho0k Em'
Pro Bowler

Ho0k Em' could make a wolverine purr.Ho0k Em' could make a wolverine purr.Ho0k Em' could make a wolverine purr.Ho0k Em' could make a wolverine purr.Ho0k Em' could make a wolverine purr.Ho0k Em' could make a wolverine purr.Ho0k Em' could make a wolverine purr.Ho0k Em' could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermstheman83 View Post
I'd like to point out one good reason to pick McClain.
Junior Seau<--HOF Linebacker retired at 42(?) but let's say he stopped being effective at 35
Ed Reed<---HOF Safety, is thinking about retiring at 32.

That's three good years we don't have to think about ILB. If they are both considered elite talent. Then this should be a difference you look at. Also safeties tend to get banged up a lot nowadays.
Ed reed is still arguably the best safety in the league, and safeties aren't any more prone to injuries than linebackers. Look at Darren Sharper he had like 8 picks this year and he's like 35 I think.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:03 PM    (permalink
Hermstheman83
Veteran

Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ho0k Em' View Post
Ed reed is still arguably the best safety in the league, and safeties aren't any more prone to injuries than linebackers. Look at Darren Sharper he had like 8 picks this year and he's like 35 I think.
I think safeties decline faster than ILB's. Yes you can look at ed reed and sharper but how many 30+ safeties are 1. starting 2. decently effective? the pats made a dynnasty off old cagey linebackers
Old 01-21-2010, 10:38 AM    (permalink
BPhilb
Veteran

BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.

I don't think you can draft for 10+ years in the future. The game changes to much now days. Either player would be a major upgrade for us obviously. I personally perfer Berry, but would be happy either way. I don't think we can rule out Okung though. Our line is still bad and we have focused on defense the last couple of drafts in round 1. The dropoff at Tackle in this draft is pretty bad between round 1 and below.
BPhilb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 06:08 PM    (permalink
TonyGfortheTD
Veteran

TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I kind of wonder about McClains speed, so I will be keeping a good eye on his times for drills.

My preference would be Eric Berry, but I'd be cool with either. Just please.....not another g'damn lineman please.

The worst result would be Okung.
Old 01-23-2010, 06:27 PM    (permalink
Hermstheman83
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPhilb View Post
I don't think you can draft for 10+ years in the future. The game changes to much now days. Either player would be a major upgrade for us obviously. I personally perfer Berry, but would be happy either way. I don't think we can rule out Okung though. Our line is still bad and we have focused on defense the last couple of drafts in round 1. The dropoff at Tackle in this draft is pretty bad between round 1 and below.
I don't think we need a tackle. our interior o line is where our weak point(s) are at. I see us going defense. There are guys where we pick who will definately impact our defense.McClain probably doesn't have side-line to s ideline speed but that's why he's an ILB.
Old 01-25-2010, 02:54 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I think safeties decline faster than ILB's. Yes you can look at ed reed and sharper but how many 30+ safeties are 1. starting 2. decently effective? the pats made a dynnasty off old cagey linebackers
The Pats had Rodney Harrison for a good chunk of that. Also, Brian Dawkins.
nepg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 04:05 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I don't think we need a tackle. our interior o line is where our weak point(s) are at. I see us going defense. There are guys where we pick who will definately impact our defense.McClain probably doesn't have side-line to s ideline speed but that's why he's an ILB.
We definitely need a RG and C upgrade from free agency or the draft, but I'm not worried about our tackle situation at all. Branden Albert struggled a bit at the start of the season, but I attribute that to playing a new style of LT, with reduced weight. Took some getting used to, but he finished out the season strong.

Niswanger is just not a starting C in the NFL. No other way to say it. He's not good enough. Goff, who I actually thought would be a pretty good upgrade, was anything but. Both of these positions need to be addressed, but those obviously aren't first round needs.

Linebacker and Safety are, however. I'm giving the slight edge to McClain here, because the safety class is extremely deep this year while the drop off after say, Spikes in the second, is massive. He would give us a presence in the middle of the defense that we clearly lack.

That said, I wouldn't be upset if we took Berry, I just think McClain would be a much better pick.

Old 08-07-2012, 02:57 AM    (permalink
T-RICH49
All-NFLDC

T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

hahaha was scrolling through the pages and saw this thread.had to bump & say TGWTB...Thank Goodness We Took Berry
Old 08-07-2012, 11:14 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

I liked both, but I was pretty high on McClain that year. Thank god Pioli is a billion times smarter than I am.

Old 08-07-2012, 12:04 PM    (permalink
villagewarrior
Pro Bowler

villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I remember thinking at the time that you couldn't go wrong with either. Berry is a stud. Rolando I think got into a gun fight in Atlanta?
villagewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:10 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Well McClain is a Raider. That says enough.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:13 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

I'd like to think that Rolondo would have turned out a lot different with the Chiefs than he has with the Raiders, but there's no doubt that Berry has been the ******* man (even though he really hasn't done anything, yet).