Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 08-21-2012, 02:50 PM    (permalink
UKfan
All-Pro

UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Jags to play a regular season game in UK for 4 seasons from 2013

http://www.nfluk.com/opinions/articl...ext-four-years

Quote:
With interest in the NFL in the United Kingdom at an all-time high, the Jacksonville Jaguars have made a multi-year commitment to International Series games in London.

The Jaguars will play one regular-season home game in the United Kingdom in 2013, 2014, 2015, and 2016, all at London’s historic Wembley Stadium. The date of the 2013 game as well as the opposing team will be announced in the months ahead.

XBox 360 Gamertag: Bunj1986
UKfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 02:53 PM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think at least some of those games should be against Tampa Bay. The Buccaneers have a history of playing in London so it makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 
jrdrylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 03:04 PM    (permalink
UKfan
All-Pro

UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well initially we were due to have a 3 year slate of the Rams from this year. It seems the NFL are really pushing the idea of us having a team each season to root for to try and build a fan base. I'm personally wondering if it is sort of a "trial" towards ultimately an international franchise.

Personally I wouldn't go down that route at all, a lot of fans here have their allegiances and won't switch (I know I wouldn't go from Colts to Jags!), games are expensive for much more than a one off if you aren't in London (I'm looking at maybe £250 when you factor in hotel, travel, ticket etc), and if you are in London there are so many other sports events it's a lot of competition for 8 of your weekends, I doubt you would see sellouts.

Old 08-21-2012, 03:20 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Imagine if this was the Patriots. People would be furious in Boston.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 03:23 PM    (permalink
dabears10
All-Pro

dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKfan View Post
Well initially we were due to have a 3 year slate of the Rams from this year. It seems the NFL are really pushing the idea of us having a team each season to root for to try and build a fan base. I'm personally wondering if it is sort of a "trial" towards ultimately an international franchise.

Personally I wouldn't go down that route at all, a lot of fans here have their allegiances and won't switch (I know I wouldn't go from Colts to Jags!), games are expensive for much more than a one off if you aren't in London (I'm looking at maybe £250 when you factor in hotel, travel, ticket etc), and if you are in London there are so many other sports events it's a lot of competition for 8 of your weekends, I doubt you would see sellouts.
You would not switch allegiances, but you would not be the person they are going after. You are more likely to buy tickets anyway to see NFL football at all. This would mostly be for the youngins.

Thanks to BoneKrusher Credit and Rep to him for the sig.

dabears10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 03:25 PM    (permalink
UKfan
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears10 View Post
You would not switch allegiances, but you would not be the person they are going after. You are more likely to buy tickets anyway to see NFL football at all. This would mostly be for the youngins.
Very true, I'm still not certain it would be a roaring success, and they absolutely would have to lower prices I think for it to compete with the soccer teams.

Old 08-21-2012, 03:32 PM    (permalink
dabears10
All-Pro

dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKfan View Post
Very true, I'm still not certain it would be a roaring success, and they absolutely would have to lower prices I think for it to compete with the soccer teams.
I think thats the largest thing that's not talked about in the States when moving overseas. The MLS has its moderate growth based on the fact its season is outside of the NFL. The NFL would have smaller growth with the same season as the EPL.

Thanks to BoneKrusher Credit and Rep to him for the sig.

dabears10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 04:44 PM    (permalink
Mufasa
Veteran

Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What a joke of a franchise the Jaguars are. Most teams would be pissed if they had to play overseas one year, and the Jaguars volunteer to do it for four years in a row. I mean, I guess this should guarantee they won't be moving for a while, but still that's pathetic.
Mufasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 04:46 PM    (permalink
PackerLegend
Pro Bowler

PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm sorry to everyone overseas but this shouldn't happen now or ever. Its not fair to any of the franchises involved even for 1 gam a year to travel to London. If they put a franchise overseas it would be a ****ing joke, thankfully I dont think that will ever happen. The NFL wasn't made to support a team like that, its just to much. I hope the Packers never make the trip across the lake even for a game.

Sick Sig By BoneKrusher
PackerLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 04:49 PM    (permalink
PackerLegend
Pro Bowler

PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Here's another question... if you are a season ticket holder of said franchise and its considered their "home" game what happens. You have to pay for this regardless or what.

Sick Sig By BoneKrusher
PackerLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 04:55 PM    (permalink
UKfan
All-Pro

I know from talking to some Bucs fans who came over in the past that they got offered tickets as part of their season ticket. I think they said if they didnt take up the option they had to pay regardless, but that game was a while ago now, and I might be wrong on that too

Old 08-21-2012, 05:29 PM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mufasa View Post
What a joke of a franchise the Jaguars are. Most teams would be pissed if they had to play overseas one year, and the Jaguars volunteer to do it for four years in a row. I mean, I guess this should guarantee they won't be moving for a while, but still that's pathetic.
Yeah, you are 100% wrong about this. Their total attendance is increasing every year, their total season ticket sales are increasing, and their season ticket renewal rates are going in a positive direction. This year, they are going to remove the tarps (increasing stadium size by about 10K) for a few of the big games and they will likely be removing the tarps completely in the next few years.

Playing games overseas was a business decision by the owner to try to expand the brand. People calling this move pathetic are stuck in the past of about five years ago when their games were being blacked out. Now they aren't having any issue selling out. Their attendance isn't at Green Bay-Chicago-Pittsburgh levels but they are much better than teams like San Diego, Tampa, St. Louis, and Oakland.

Quote:
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 
Old 08-21-2012, 05:39 PM    (permalink
soybean
All-Pro

soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Why don't any UK ball clubs play any games in America?
soybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:01 PM    (permalink
UKfan
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by soybean View Post
If you're talking why don't we send over any American Football teams, it's because they would get kerb stomped. Some of the guys on the University team I played for went on to play in the top division of the mens leagues over here, and when they toured over to the US they were losing very heavily to some not very distinguished programs.

As for soccer, they play pre-season games over there which I guess was initially what the NFL did for the European market. I think part of the issues is there is a 38 game regular season, plus European commitments for some, domestic cup competitions etc. Top teams can end up playing close to 70 games, hard to fit into an 8 or so month window without trans-atlantic flights, though there were discussions within the ruling body about a "39th game"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_39

Old 08-21-2012, 06:24 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

And because I doubt they're as interested in raising the profile of their sport in other countries. Soccer is one of the most popular sports around the world, whereas football is only played in the states.

RIP themaninblack
SuperPacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:38 AM    (permalink
Dallas357
Rookie

Dallas357 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dallas357 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dallas357 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dallas357 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dallas357 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dallas357 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dallas357 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dallas357 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dallas357 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dallas357 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dallas357 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mufasa View Post
You mean that same Jaguars franchise that won more playoffs game in their 2nd year than the lions have in the past 50 years combined? What a joke the lions are.
Dallas357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:36 AM    (permalink
yodabear
Magic Fingers
Icon

yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I am so glad the Rams backed out of it. Too bad some1 else decided to suck at the power teet. I mean don't get me wrong, I think expanding the game is great, and all, but at the expense of 1 of 8 precious games to fans of these teams?
Old 08-23-2012, 11:37 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well Jax doesn't sell out anyway so they might make more money playing overseas.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:49 AM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
Well Jax doesn't sell out anyway so they might make more money playing overseas.
The Jags haven't had a blackout in two years. Like I said, there are a lot of teams worse off than they are. Take the Bengals. They had all but two of their games blacked out last year despite being a playoff team, having a smaller stadium, and larger metropolitan area.

Quote:
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Old 08-23-2012, 11:51 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdrylie View Post
The Jags haven't had a blackout in two years. Like I said, there are a lot of teams worse off than they are. Take the Bengals. They had all but two of their games blacked out last year despite being a playoff team, having a smaller stadium, and larger metropolitan area.
That's because they put tarp over huge sections of the stadium. Those seats are no longer considered "part" of the stadium and don't apply to the blackout rules.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:54 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soybean View Post
They do. But like what someone said before, they are preseason games. It wasn't a sell out but 38,000 people went see Chelsea play a meaningless game at Yankee Stadium earlier this summer. Other stadiums had similar (maybe slightly less) attendance for other teams preseason games this summer as well.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:58 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Because they artificially lowered their stadium attendance numbers by "taking" out seats.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:00 PM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead10 View Post
That's because they put tarp over huge sections of the stadium. Those seats are no longer considered "part" of the stadium and don't apply to the blackout rules.
Everbank Field has approximately 78K seats. The tarps reduce that to 67K. Paul Brown Stadium has 65K seats. So Jacksonville still has the bigger stadium. Jacksonville sell out 93% of their stadium (including club seats and luxury). Cincinnati sells 75%. If Jacksonville took the tarps off the seats and counted those 10,000 seats, they would still sell 81% of their tickets.

If we want to call a franchise a joke, let's call the Bengals a joke for not being able to sell out their stadium and having the same amount of playoff wins as the Jaguars despite being in the NFL for 32 more years.

Quote:
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Old 08-23-2012, 12:13 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Quote:
Everbank Field has approximately 78K seats. The tarps reduce that to 67K. Paul Brown Stadium has 65K seats. So Jacksonville still has the bigger stadium. Jacksonville sell out 93% of their stadium (including club seats and luxury). Cincinnati sells 75%. If Jacksonville took the tarps off the seats and counted those 10,000 seats, they would still sell 81% of their tickets.

If we want to call a franchise a joke, let's call the Bengals a joke for not being able to sell out their stadium and having the same amount of playoff wins as the Jaguars despite being in the NFL for 32 more years.
The Bengals are a joke too. You're not breaking any news there. They've been the punch line of many jokes for a long time.