Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

View Poll Results: Who deserves a title shot more?
Quinton "Rampage" Jackson 12 30.77%
Lyoto "Dragon" Machida 27 69.23%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-12-2012, 09:13 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bendo won't be champ for long. He's too prone to getting into close fights.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:55 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Location: "Im against Picketing, but I don't know how to show it"-Mitch Hedberg
josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just to say something MMA related, I think Nate takes it from Bendo. Being a finisher the was he is on the ground combined with his nasty standup makes me think he'll be able to pull something off. The only thing that gives me pause is that I could see Bendo going LNP to a decision or trying to use kicks and running to pointfight to the decision.

The real reason Im posting though, I was just randomly watching espn and saw clips for a random football practice where they were running basic blocking and line drills. I have thought for a while that Lineman and even some other players could really benefit from martial arts training. I dont mean the bs that Jay Glaze does, I mean like learning leverage and hand position from a Judo coach or wrestling coach (Even BJJ for cardio). Just the conditioning that go into grappling sports seem to me like they would be perfect for boosting a football players cardio, explosiveness, and overall balance if not also helping skills when it comes to shedding blockers and blocking, etc.
Old 08-23-2012, 01:13 PM    (permalink
Bert Macklin
All-Pro

Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

UFC 151 canceled due to Hendo being hurt. Jones vs Machida set for September 22nd.
Bert Macklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 01:21 PM    (permalink
JRTPlaya21
All-Pro

JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sonnen offered to fight Bones but he said no thanks.

Duke Blue Devils
2010 National Champions!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sO4iMIahsAs
JRTPlaya21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 01:23 PM    (permalink
Bert Macklin
All-Pro

Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jones doesn't want to fight anyone. He doesn't want to fight Machida.
Old 08-23-2012, 01:29 PM    (permalink
Bert Macklin
All-Pro

Get Greg Jackson the **** out of the UFC

Quote:
Today at a special press conference, UFC President Dana White announced that Jon Jones refused to fight a replacement offer of Chael Sonnen for his title fight at the advice of his coach, Greg Jackson.

White was not for a loss of words when describing the situation: Greg Jackson is a f--king sport killer. We've never had a fighter refuse to fight a guy. It's never happened.
Old 08-23-2012, 01:35 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Macklin View Post
Get Greg Jackson the **** out of the UFC
I don't know that it was Jackson. Firstly, its possible Jones juts said **** this guy, he doesnt deserve to fight me(Because of Arrogance) or hes afraid of a short notice fight/Chael (Not unreasonable but also a bit weak). If Jones feels this way, it would make sense for it to be attributed to a coach either Greg taking the blame intentionally or Jones management team spinning. Second, Dana might have heard from Jones directly, but didn't want to fully destroy a guy that is marketable.

Its not impossible that Greg said it though. What does his guy gain from fighting a guy coming off a loss at middleweight, taking the fight on short notice, and is coming up in weight. I'm not saying I condone it, but as a coach who is looking out for his guy, it does make some sense.

Dana said that no one has ever turned down a fight ever? Hes either lying now or been repeatedly lying for years.
Old 08-23-2012, 01:38 PM    (permalink
Bert Macklin
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh07039 View Post
I don't know that it was Jackson. Firstly, its possible Jones juts said **** this guy, he doesnt deserve to fight me(Because of Arrogance) or hes afraid of a short notice fight/Chael (Not unreasonable but also a bit weak). If Jones feels this way, it would make sense for it to be attributed to a coach either Greg taking the blame intentionally or Jones management team spinning. Second, Dana might have heard from Jones directly, but didn't want to fully destroy a guy that is marketable.

Dana said that no one has ever turned down a fight ever? Hes either lying now or been repeatedly lying for years.
It's clear he said that out of frustration Melvin Guillard said 4 people turned down the Cerrone fight before he took it. But Dana made it clear that Greg told him to turn down the fight.

And it saves the PPV. Now everyone else on the card is ******.
Old 08-23-2012, 02:00 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Quote:
It's clear he said that out of frustration Melvin Guillard said 4 people turned down the Cerrone fight before he took it. But Dana made it clear that Greg told him to turn down the fight.

And it saves the PPV. Now everyone else on the card is ******.
I hate Jones...**** him, but to an extent I get the decision from his perspective. He doesnt feel he needs to come to the UFCs rescue because he has enough cache as champ to not have to. Beyond that, you have the reasons I gave above. Additionally, he doesnt and really shouldnt worry about the other fighters. First and foremost he has to worry about himself in such a ruthless sport.

Personally, I think he should have just taken the fight. Gotten paid **** tons from the UFC and just beaten Chael up. I dont really see any way Chael could beat him, especially on short notice without having time to put on some good size for the weight class. Obviously, if he never fights Chael, no one with half a brain will think that takes anything away from him, but being a champ and not stepping up is just a bad move for his popularity with fans and with the UFC. Its very easy to not see when you might want to do the UFC a favor when you are on top, but the UFC has shown that they will have guys backs who consistently step up for them. Didnt Dan Hardy lose like 7 in a row?
Old 08-23-2012, 02:08 PM    (permalink
Ron
Rookie

Ron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You can't really blame Jones for not taking a fight on 9 days, especially against a guy with nothing to lose like Chael. Why didn't Dana pressure Machida to take the fight on 9 days and fight at 151.
Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:13 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
You can't really blame Jones for not taking a fight on 9 days, especially against a guy with nothing to lose like Chael. Why didn't Dana pressure Machida to take the fight on 9 days and fight at 151.
Machida was on a plane back to brazil apparently so Dana understood how it would be impossible given travel/jetlag concerns.
Old 08-23-2012, 02:15 PM    (permalink
Ron
Rookie

Ron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Machida was on a plane back to brazil apparently so Dana understood how it would be impossible given travel/jetlag concerns.
Jetlag seems like a weak excuse to me. Seems like a double standard to me. If the best guy they could get to take on a fight in 9 days is Sonnen then how can you ***** at Jones. Sure Jones has been training but still
Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:08 PM    (permalink
Bert Macklin
All-Pro

Wow Jones is getting BLASTED

Quote:
michael ‏@bisping
Jones said he's not fighting chael on 8 days notice. I did. .... Just sayin
TJ Dillashaw @TJDillashaw
I can't believe a whole show was canceled because of Jon Jones!! He should have to relinquish his belt
Michael Chiesa @MikeMav22
@JonnyBones is a fraud. He's all about his $$ but he won't take a fight with @sonnench who would bring in WAY more $$? He's scared, period.
Vinny Magalhaes @VinnyMMA
How to ruin an entire event #BonesKnows
Things that people learned today: Chael @sonnench is the man! A lot of people will be losing money. Jon Jones doesn't give a ****.
Charlie Brenneman @SpaniardMMA
Me n @rick_story took a fight on 24 hrs norice!! Champ what?!?! @ufc
@JonnyBones u can send my check to PO box 198. EH NJ. Rent is due the first, so preferably by then. Thanks. @ufc
Mackens Semerzier @MackDaMenaceMMA
Cancel the whole damn event? What happend to "I'll fight whoever the @ufc tells me to" or does that only apply to fighting "friends"?
Michael Chiesa @MikeMav22
99.999% of @UFC fighters will be "company men" and help our organization if needed. @sonnench is a company man, @jonnybones is selfish.
Ulysses Gomez @uselessgomez
Bones wouldn't be taking the fight on "8 days notice" he's been training for a fight for at least 8 weeks! Chael is same style as Hendo. But he said no?
Abel Trujillo @AbelTrujillo1
The news of UFC 151 cancelled is heartbreaking!!! Trying to stay positive that its Gods plan & not mine!!! Jon Jones is selfish For that!!!
john albert @UFCPrinceAlbert
I am so livid right now I was the biggest Jon jones fan but not anymore that guy is bad for the sport his fans and other fighters he doesn't
Understand or forgot what it's like being a lower ranked fighter like me or @JeffHougland who make pennies compared to him and fighting is
Our livelihood and we survive by fighting and all the hard work those 20 other fighters put in are goin to waste utterly discusted
Brock Jardine @BrockJardine
If u wanted to make money y wouldn't u want to fight @sonnench who was just part of biggest ppv in @ufc history Really disappointed
also

Quote:
Top 185-pound contender Chris Weidman told MMAFighting.com following Thursday's conference call that he offered to fight Jones next week, as well.
"I heard that Dan Henderson was hurt," Weidman said. "I said, 'Wow, I'm not getting the shot at 185, let me get Jon Jones, he's freaking awesome."
"I'm not sure it ever got back to [Jones]," he said. "If he's not taking Chael Sonnen, I'm sure he isn't going to take me."
Old 08-23-2012, 04:25 PM    (permalink
Bert Macklin
All-Pro

Quote:
And to clarify check the bold

Quote:
According to UFC President Dana White, after Dan Henderson's knee injury forced him out of the bout, Lyoto Machida turned down a chance to challenge for the title, but Chael Sonnen accepted and wanted to fly to Vegas that night. White said that the UFC PR department began work on commercials for Jones vs. Sonnen before being informed that Jones turned down the fight.

"Jon Jones said I'm not fighting Chael Sonnen on eight days' notice' " related White. "...a world champion turned down a fight, that's never happened... (Greg Jackson) should never be interviewed by anyone again except for a psychiatrist."

But Dana never strayed too far from blaming Jones for his role in turning down the fight. At one point calling it one of the most disgusting and selfish decisions he has ever seen.

Dana continued that he hates the UFC sponsorships to begin with but that it was a "good question" if the actions of Jon in turning down the Sonnen fight would impact their sponsorship. He also, at one point, said that the decision to turn down the fight would significantly impact his and the promotion's relationship with the light heavyweight champion.
Old 08-23-2012, 04:36 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Quote:
And to clarify check the bold
Yeah I just saw that myself. Jones is taking a largely universal beating. Some people seem to be defending him like king mo, but you know....King Mo isn't necessarily the guy you want in your corner these days. Regardless, I was thinking more about it and its pretty hypocritical of Jones. Talking **** about not making enough money against Machida and how he fights for money and all his talk of being a businessman, why not fight a guy and make a lot of money even if there is less to gain in terms of your all time standing or whatever. If you believe in yourself I dont see how you turn it down.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:21 PM    (permalink
Complex
All-Pro

Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jones shouldn't have taken the fight. He doesn't owe the UFC anything. Sonnen didn't deserve it the guy has beaten anyone and wasn't a threat. The guy is a joke. Jones has defended his title more times in the last 2 years than Silva, GSP or Dos Santos combined.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:29 PM    (permalink
Bengals78
All-Pro

Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Complex View Post
Jones shouldn't have taken the fight. He doesn't owe the UFC anything. Sonnen didn't deserve it the guy has beaten anyone and wasn't a threat. The guy is a joke. Jones has defended his title more times in the last 2 years than Silva, GSP or Dos Santos combined.
Is GSP still even alive?

bonekrusher
The Twitters
themaninblack
Bengals78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 06:32 PM    (permalink
Bert Macklin
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Complex View Post
Jones shouldn't have taken the fight. He doesn't owe the UFC anything.
wow that's 100% false.

The UFC has done everything to shine a positive light on Jones and stuck by him even through the DUI situation. So they do owe him and he said **** them.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:37 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Location: I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark haired women and breakfast food
Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jon Jones sucks. I've never liked him.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:38 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It would be amazing if Dana released him.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:38 PM    (permalink
Bengals78
All-Pro

Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob S View Post
It would be amazing if Dana released him.
Yes. Cut your best LHW. That would work well.

bonekrusher
The Twitters
themaninblack
Old 08-23-2012, 06:41 PM    (permalink
Complex
All-Pro

Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
wow that's 100% false.

The UFC has done everything to shine a positive light on Jones and stuck by him even through the DUI situation. So they do owe him and he said **** them.
Lmao okay?
Old 08-23-2012, 06:44 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengals78 View Post
Yes. Cut your best LHW. That would work well.
Would never happen. It would be sweet though. And Dana is ridiculously emotional.

Anyway, if you don't know why Jones is dick then you don't know any fighters.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:47 PM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I see no good reason for Jones to accept the fight so I shall side with him

fenikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 06:49 PM    (permalink
Bengals78
All-Pro

I dont care that he is a dick.
He is good. I only care if someone is a dick is if it rubs brody the wrong way (Barry Bonds)

bonekrusher
The Twitters
themaninblack