Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 08-25-2012, 05:33 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImBrotherCain View Post
I don't like going from a potential playoff contender to rebuilding in a day.
Wait, what? The Red Sox haven't been a serious playoff contender in over a month.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 05:43 PM    (permalink
nepg
All-NFLDC

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
Wait, what? The Red Sox haven't been a serious playoff contender in over a month.
And it's not even like they're "rebuilding". Of the guys they dumped, only Gonzalez was reasonably productive. The current roster is a team that would/should be where they're at right now anyway. They need some power in LF and 1B and they're back to being that serious contender.

There are some options in the free agent market, so things are looking good for the Red Sox, imo.
Old 08-25-2012, 05:53 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Die Affeldt. Die.

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Borat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 06:29 PM    (permalink
ImBrotherCain
SWDC Mafia
All-NFLDC

ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
I wasn't talking this year I meant big picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
And it's not even like they're "rebuilding". Of the guys they dumped, only Gonzalez was reasonably productive. The current roster is a team that would/should be where they're at right now anyway. They need some power in LF and 1B and they're back to being that serious contender.

There are some options in the free agent market, so things are looking good for the Red Sox, imo.
Are you crazy? There are really no good FA in either of those positions. Not to mention there is no guarantee that Ross resigns. We need at least 2 SP and Aviles is stop gap at SS.
Old 08-25-2012, 06:34 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Josh Hamilton isn't a good FA OF?

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Borat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 06:37 PM    (permalink
EvilMonkey
Veteran

EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

um, no.. they need a ton of pitching. They can find fill-in guys at LF and 1B and will be fine if they actually had some sort of respectable pitching staff
Old 08-25-2012, 06:41 PM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

shame they couldn't dump Lackey on the Dodgers as well
Old 08-25-2012, 06:52 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
he's too busy relapsing. ******* dude needs a babysitter.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 07:15 PM    (permalink
yodabear
Magic Fingers
Icon

yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Rodger Clemens has just matched the # of 1-2-3 innings the Houston Astros have had this year...ONE! SIGN HIM!!!!!!!!! Just kidding Houston, I love u guys, and the Texans are gonna be really good!
Old 08-25-2012, 07:19 PM    (permalink
ImBrotherCain
SWDC Mafia
All-NFLDC

ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
I don't think he or Grinke would be a good fit. I don't want to spend big money on Hamilton and have him be another JD Drew injury wise.
Old 08-25-2012, 07:29 PM    (permalink
nepg
All-NFLDC

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilMonkey View Post
um, no.. they need a ton of pitching. They can find fill-in guys at LF and 1B and will be fine if they actually had some sort of respectable pitching staff
Ton of pitching?

They need to get healthy there and for their top of the rotation guys to have much better years. They need a couple starters and to move Bard back to the bullpen. But that's about it. There are some good starting pitchers out in FA and it'd be silly to imagine them not getting at least one of them.

Yes, Aviles is a stop gap...for Iglesias or Ciriaco. One of which is already tearing the cover off the ball at the MLB level.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:16 PM    (permalink
ImBrotherCain
SWDC Mafia
All-NFLDC

Ciriaco will not sustain this... If he couldn't find his way on to the Pirates I don't foresee him keeping up this level of play.

As for Pitching... Buchholz and Lester (if he can rebound) would be our 1 &2 Dubront would ideally be a 4 or 5 which leaves two spots. We wouldn't be able to find two stud starters to make up for having a scrub in LF and 1B.

Again that is assuming that Ross comes back and Ellsbury signs long term. Bogarts and Bradley are in the minors but they are probably between 2-3 seasons away from being where the should be when called up and our SP prospects behind Barnes are slim and again also need 2+ years.

I did not include the recently acquired guys as I do not know enough about them to truly judge.
Old 08-25-2012, 11:05 PM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

lolmondbacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erNation85 View Post
I wouldn't be sir prized if he passed McCoy on the depth chart. I think he might have a better arm and accurate arm then him from the highlights I thought. He also got some wheels too help us prepare for QB's as Wilson , RG3 and other runners etc.
SickwithIt1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:35 PM    (permalink
nepg
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Ciriaco will not sustain this... If he couldn't find his way on to the Pirates I don't foresee him keeping up this level of play.

As for Pitching... Buchholz and Lester (if he can rebound) would be our 1 &2 Dubront would ideally be a 4 or 5 which leaves two spots. We wouldn't be able to find two stud starters to make up for having a scrub in LF and 1B.

Again that is assuming that Ross comes back and Ellsbury signs long term. Bogarts and Bradley are in the minors but they are probably between 2-3 seasons away from being where the should be when called up and our SP prospects behind Barnes are slim and again also need 2+ years.

I did not include the recently acquired guys as I do not know enough about them to truly judge.
It's very doom & gloom (and just generally kind of out there) to assume that the LF and 1B next year will be "scrubs". Gomez was putting up monster numbers in Pawtucket and, at worst, is a below average 1B at this level. I'm not saying to rely on him, but he's their worst case scenario at 1B next year.

No, I don't think Ciriaco hits .350 next year. But this is a much larger sample than Pittsburgh had, and he still hit over .300 with the Pirates.
Old 08-26-2012, 01:47 PM    (permalink
Bengals78
All-Pro

Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Welp...It is time for Votto to come back.
We get stymied way too often against good RHP.
And I still hate Chris Heisey

bonekrusher
The Twitters
themaninblack
Bengals78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:53 PM    (permalink
Wootylicous
All-NFLDC

Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Santana with the bases loaded. Come on!

#MoncriefArmy
Wootylicous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 02:56 PM    (permalink
themaninblack
All-Pro

themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengals78 View Post
Welp...It is time for Votto to come back.
We get stymied way too often against good RHP.
And I still hate Chris Heisey
YOU CAN'T TALK BAD ABOUT OUR TEAM!! What are you thinking?!

^A Bonekrusher production^
Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165
themaninblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 03:06 PM    (permalink
ImBrotherCain
SWDC Mafia
All-NFLDC

Quote:
It's very doom & gloom (and just generally kind of out there) to assume that the LF and 1B next year will be "scrubs". Gomez was putting up monster numbers in Pawtucket and, at worst, is a below average 1B at this level. I'm not saying to rely on him, but he's their worst case scenario at 1B next year.

No, I don't think Ciriaco hits .350 next year. But this is a much larger sample than Pittsburgh had, and he still hit over .300 with the Pirates.
In fairness most people are scrubs compared to Gonzalez. I mean the guy is arguably a top 3-5 1B in the league. Even if Gomez or Anderson can fill in for a short time we are considerably weaker at that position than even 3 years ago.

Our LF is likely to be Kalish and Sweeney who while defensively are more than adequate are not going to light it up in the batters box.

And as I mentioned in a previous post our Rotation is going to be in shambles.... I mean **** we are going to rely on Lackey to be our #3 and unless he turns the clock back 4+ seasons then that is just a joke. Doubront pitched very well for half a season but has regressed pretty badly. Lester has looked like hot garbage for the last season and a half and Buchholtz has been great in the 2nd half.

So right now we have one pitcher going into next season with no question marks, two with concerns but should be alright, one that should have been included in the Dodger deal just to get is worthless beer gut off the team and one spot with no one to fill.

I think you are looking at next year way to positively... and by no means I am saying that in the long run are we not better for the deal. I am just getting at that we are likely to have a bleak season or two before the ship is righted.

I said it a few weeks ago and this just further cements my point.

Quote:
With that said Cherington this season has made moves that make me happy (Ross) moves that I want to kill him for (Scutaro and Youkilis) and some trades I have yet to see enough to make a fully informed decision (Lowrie+ and Reddick-) This guy is either going to right the sinking ship Theo got us on or he is going to continue what his mentor started and sink us for the foreseeable future. I think this year and next are going to be big years to see where the Sox are going to go.
Old 08-26-2012, 03:16 PM    (permalink
Taber21
Rookie

Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would assume they envision Rubby as a potential #5 guy for next year, if they don't go out and bring someone else in. Buchholtz, Lester, Lackey, Doubrant, De La Rossa is hardly solid, but it cannot be any worse than what they have run out there this season.
Old 08-26-2012, 03:20 PM    (permalink
nepg
All-NFLDC

They're going to be in the wild card hunt. That's my expectation for next year. They're missing some things and have been horribly inconsistent all year. The clubhouse needs an overhaul (*cough*coaching staff*cough*). I'm looking at this team in the light that they really just need a clean slate.

If they don't make a splash in free agency, I see them picking up a reclamation project(s) for the outfield/first base. I do expect them to go hard after a free agent pitcher(s), though.
Old 08-26-2012, 03:26 PM    (permalink
BloodBrother
All-Pro

BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Don't worry, Boston. Lackey will be ready to go next season!
Old 08-26-2012, 03:43 PM    (permalink
Taber21
Rookie

Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wonder if the Red Sox would take a look at Cliff Lee in the offseason. With their freed up cap room they would be able to take on his contract. Not sure where they stand on tying that much money in to one guy again, but you would think they would explore all avenues to solidify their rotation.
Old 08-26-2012, 03:49 PM    (permalink
ImBrotherCain
SWDC Mafia
All-NFLDC

And trade some of the prospects we just got... No thank you.
Old 08-26-2012, 04:29 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really don't know what we do this offseason, hopefully we make a run at a big time starter. Swisher would make sense because we need some power out there but I think he stays in NY.

Feed Moncrief
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 04:30 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think the Yanks are giving $75 million to Swisher.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote