Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 08-27-2012, 02:15 PM    (permalink
Dr. Gonzo
Icon

Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brothgar View Post
I don't hate TWD I actually like the series. The comics are just so much better it makes the show fail in comparison. As far as it being on HBO is concerned. Its more than just nudity and gore. It has a lot more to do with a better budget, and more likely would have stayed with the comic a little better. I understand though. HOLY **** YOU CAN'T SHOW THAT ON BASIC CABLE! type things.
Why do you like it though? They can have the biggest budget on television but the writing is **** and the acting sucks so it wouldn't matter much. A zombie show is just the perfect backdrop to showcase the human condition, the lengths people will do to in order to survive. An event of that magnitude forever changes people. So many interesting ways the show could have gone even if it did stray from the comics. Just look at Mad Men and Breaking Bad, the two infinitely superior shows on AMC. It's not like there is no gore in The Walking Dead and really, in a show about zombies yes the gore and **** is cool but the whole Romero social commentary aspect of zombies should have been the vocal point of the show. Any attempt at that however is laughably bad.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:57 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiomera View Post
The Newsroom sucks.
What he said. Also, I hated Heroes for the last 3 seasons and talked a lot about it. Hate The Office now and talk a lot about it.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 03:03 PM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Gonzo View Post
Why do you like it though? They can have the biggest budget on television but the writing is **** and the acting sucks so it wouldn't matter much. A zombie show is just the perfect backdrop to showcase the human condition, the lengths people will do to in order to survive. An event of that magnitude forever changes people. So many interesting ways the show could have gone even if it did stray from the comics. Just look at Mad Men and Breaking Bad, the two infinitely superior shows on AMC. It's not like there is no gore in The Walking Dead and really, in a show about zombies yes the gore and **** is cool but the whole Romero social commentary aspect of zombies should have been the vocal point of the show. Any attempt at that however is laughably bad.
The acting isn't as bad as you think. Lorie is portrayed perfectly which is why people hate her. Carl is suppose to be a baby and stupid. People wouldn't react the way they do if not for the good acting job by the actors. Is the show unbelievable sure its a show about zombies. But I still believe that it does show the human condition well. When faced with complete anarchy people will still strive for some form of society. But eventually each group will develop their own sense of morality and that morality is often challenged in this show when people are faced with their own mortality. The writers don't beat you over the head with it like in other shows but its there. Are there scenes and episodes that are orchestrated very poorly sure I'll admit that. But it isn't nearly as bad as people are making it out to be. Breaking bad is a top 10 TV show in my life time. Comparing anything to Breaking Bad is a losing proposition for all but the greatest TV shows and even harder for dramas. If the dichotomy is either Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, quality or it sucks then 99% of TV shows suck.

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.
Brothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 03:04 PM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

TWD and The Newsroom are on the same level for instance.

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Old 08-27-2012, 03:06 PM    (permalink
comahan
Pillow Hat Pal
All-NFLDC

comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

....to you.

Video Games - Anime - Comics - Cosplay - etc

A site dedicated to giving support and exposure to female
geeks and gamers, while also providing a community for
people of all genders to hang out and discuss their
favorite nerd past-times without needing to worry about or
deal with the prejudice and mistreatment that's so common online.

comahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 03:15 PM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by comahan View Post
....to you.
Of course to me. I didn't think I had to designate that. What? is there an objective form of TV show goodness? So unless there is one I will assume that opinions stated in this and every other thread are people's own opinions.

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Old 08-27-2012, 03:32 PM    (permalink
comahan
Pillow Hat Pal
All-NFLDC

comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Too used to Xio stating everything as fact.

Video Games - Anime - Comics - Cosplay - etc

A site dedicated to giving support and exposure to female
geeks and gamers, while also providing a community for
people of all genders to hang out and discuss their
favorite nerd past-times without needing to worry about or
deal with the prejudice and mistreatment that's so common online.

comahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:08 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by comahan View Post
Too used to Xio stating everything as fact.
So true and it made me lol.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:27 PM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brothgar View Post
The acting isn't as bad as you think. Lorie is portrayed perfectly which is why people hate her. Carl is suppose to be a baby and stupid. People wouldn't react the way they do if not for the good acting job by the actors. Is the show unbelievable sure its a show about zombies. But I still believe that it does show the human condition well. When faced with complete anarchy people will still strive for some form of society. But eventually each group will develop their own sense of morality and that morality is often challenged in this show when people are faced with their own mortality. The writers don't beat you over the head with it like in other shows but its there. Are there scenes and episodes that are orchestrated very poorly sure I'll admit that. But it isn't nearly as bad as people are making it out to be. Breaking bad is a top 10 TV show in my life time. Comparing anything to Breaking Bad is a losing proposition for all but the greatest TV shows and even harder for dramas. If the dichotomy is either Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, quality or it sucks then 99% of TV shows suck.
I completely agree with Broth about TWD. Obviously in comparison to the comics it is a letdown, but that's because the comics are really, really good. I'll take TWD any day over The Newsroom too. I don't think the deficiencies in TWD are as bad as the deficiencies in The Newsroom. TWD is by no means perfect, but people lambaste it like it is the worst show in the history of television and that simply isn't true. It isn't amazing television, but it is good, and by no means is it bad.

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:29 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The writing (Lori in particular) and acting (Carl in particular) on TWD is ******* awful.

And a comment like "I'd take x over y" doesn't mean a thing so I'm not sure why people keep saying stuff like that, especially in a TV thread. Oh, you'd take TWD over The Newsroom Caddy? Is that because you like TWD and dislike The Newsroom? COLOR ME SHOCKED.

Old 08-27-2012, 06:30 PM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post
The writing (Lori in particular) and acting (Carl in particular) on TWD is ******* awful.

And a comment like "I'd take x over y" doesn't mean a thing so I'm not sure why people keep saying stuff like that, especially in a TV thread. Oh, you'd take TWD over The Newsroom Caddy? Is that because you like TWD and dislike The Newsroom? COLOR ME SHOCKED.
I was referencing something Broth said. Am I not allowed to think one show is better than another? No comments in this thread mean anything in the long run any way.

Old 08-27-2012, 06:35 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

You're allowed to think whatever you want Caddy.

Old 08-27-2012, 06:37 PM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post
You're allowed to think whatever you want Caddy.
Yep. And so is everyone else. This thread is always going to be full of different opinions. People just need to try not and get butthurt when they disagree with those opinions. It seems to happen a lot.

Old 08-27-2012, 06:37 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't particularly like TWD either, but I'd gladly take it over Newsroom. Yes, there are several characters that are incredibly awful and some that are incredibly undeveloped, but at least the plot stays fairly consistent and they have relatively high highs with some decent emotion involved. Even though I actually agree with the majority of Newsrooms politics, it acts so forceful and annoying about it that I almost feel bad for it. Add in the fact that Jon Stewart does the same thing every night that this groundbreaking news show does, except it's actually funny, and TWD doesn't force two incredibly awful love messes down the throat of the viewers every single week...

RIP TheManInBlack
Old 08-27-2012, 06:40 PM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
I don't particularly like TWD either, but I'd gladly take it over Newsroom. Yes, there are several characters that are incredibly awful and some that are incredibly undeveloped, but at least the plot stays fairly consistent and they have relatively high highs with some decent emotion involved. Even though I actually agree with the majority of Newsrooms politics, it acts so forceful and annoying about it that I almost feel bad for it. Add in the fact that Jon Stewart does the same thing every night that this groundbreaking news show does, except it's actually funny, and TWD doesn't force two incredibly awful love messes down the throat of the viewers every single week...
I hate you even more when I agree with you.

Old 08-27-2012, 06:44 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

No, TWD forces Lori on viewers every week which is worse than watching Big Bang Theory.

Old 08-27-2012, 07:05 PM    (permalink
Cigaro
All-NFLDC

Location: Two-thirds of the Earth is covered by water, the other one-third is covered by Luke Kuechly
Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I may have already said it here, but I could no longer watch TWD after like the second episode where the guy has a hacksaw, a saw specifically designed for cutting metal, and he cuts off his hand instead of the handcuffs.

Sig by Matthew Jones
Cigaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:07 PM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigaro View Post
I may have already said it here, but I could no longer watch TWD after like the second episode where the guy has a hacksaw, a saw specifically designed for cutting metal, and he cuts off his hand instead of the handcuffs.
Maybe he just got done watching Saw. DID YOU EVER THINK OF THAT

Old 08-27-2012, 07:12 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Quote:
You haven't missed much, except bad writing for arguably the worst character ever to grace a television screen or the fact that a 8 year old kid is too hard to keep track of every week. Oh and there are some zombies every once in a while too.

Old 08-27-2012, 07:28 PM    (permalink
Dr. Gonzo
Icon

Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Compared to the rest of the show that little plot point no longer seems that stupid to me. The writers of TWD know their audience, gotta keep that **** dumbed down.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:32 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I watched the pilot episode of "The Mindy Project" on Comcast OnDemand last night (I think it's on Hulu, too). It was pretty solid. Had some decent laughs. Promising start.

Not really my genre of comedy, but Mindy Kaling wrote so many of the best episodes of The Office, so I'm confident it'll be a pretty good sitcom.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:01 PM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Bleh Newsroom finally. The love stuff was horrible. Super convenient that Alison Pill gets splashed by the Sex in the City bus, has a public tirade and Jim just happens to be on the bus too? Yeah ok. Love that they kept the 'news sourced from a private friend/acquaintance in the nurse'. I also thought the phone hacking scandle was handled poorly. For a show which prides itself on credibility and breaking the real stories, they cover-up one of the biggest stories in recent times just save their anchor's backside? I don't get it.

That said, the production value is great, Jeff Daniels is a beast, and I quite like a number of the minor characters like Neal and Terry Crewes. Also, sorority intern is cute. Solid show and I'm glad it'll be back. Still hate Sorkin though.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:24 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

You like Neal? What the ****?

RIP TheManInBlack
Old 08-27-2012, 10:26 PM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I can't follow any show without getting frustrated by the convenience of certain plot altering events. Therefore I watch most half asleep.

tjsunstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:42 PM    (permalink
dolphinfan2k5
DC GFX Team
Veteran

dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I need a comedy to keep my mind off things. I just went through workaholics in like 3 days. Any suggestions?