Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > St. Louis Rams Team Forum

St. Louis Rams Team Forum Discuss the Rams

Closed Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 12:41 PM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bradford's ankle is apparently still not at 100%...

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/footb...foJLME.twitter

Sam is quoted in the article as saying, "I think it's as good as it's going to feel." Which to me translates as, "It's not going to be 100% any time soon."

Hopefully no defensive player in the league was allowed to read this article. :-\
Old 08-08-2012, 05:43 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So anyone want to make their prediction on the Rams receiving core this season?
Old 08-12-2012, 05:33 PM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Fisher regime is off to a banging start!
Old 08-12-2012, 10:18 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGSeiler View Post
The Fisher regime is off to a banging start!
Ha, I didn't really watch it, watched like 12 minutes of it and then I flipped on the Cardinals game. Not to worried about the score, I mean last year we looked awesome in preseason.

Janoris looked awesome from the little bit I saw.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:23 PM    (permalink
freebirdsrams02
Veteran

freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not the best start but its only the first one. A lot to build off of though. I thought the o-line looked good early. Steven Jackson looked good as well. We will see how it goes when the startes play more and more.

Sig made by Falcon from E Oakland

"Spread'em and Shread'em"
Old 08-13-2012, 02:36 AM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

Also, Austin Pettis looks a bit quicker. Doesn't look like he's running in water.
Old 08-13-2012, 06:25 PM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt_bruce81 View Post
Not to worried about the score
I don't think anyone is worried about the score, but rather how the Rams looked in the process, which overall was not very good at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebirdsrams02 View Post
Not the best start but its only the first one. A lot to build off of though. I thought the o-line looked good early. Steven Jackson looked good as well. We will see how it goes when the startes play more and more.
Maybe in opening holes for Jackson, but they still left quite a bit to be desired in pass protection IMO, and that was even with Bradford throwing mostly short, high percentage routes.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:59 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

Some of my thoughts from what I saw in week 2 preseason (Rams vs Chiefs)

1. Danny Amendola, Chris Givens, Steve Smith, Austin Pettis, Brian Quick.
- That would be my Receiving core if we just based it off preseason, those are the guys that have impressed me the most and yes it is in order. Austin Pettis looks like a totally different player than he was last year, I'm not sure what it is, maybe he's more comfortable now that he's going into his 2nd season, maybe he's built a solid relationship with Bradford, who knows. He just looks a lot quicker and his hands look a lot better. Chris Givens is going to be a stud for this team, Ive been really impressed by what I've seen so far. Dude can ball.

2. Craig Dahl sucks.
- Dahl has regressed every year he's been here and he looks absolutely horrible in coverage. I'M hoping TRUMAINE johnson can take that starting spot.

3. Austin Davis over Kellen CLemens

4. Daryl Richardson over Isiah Pead
- Not saying it will end up like this but right now Richardson has impressed me more. Richardson sees the whole and he shoots through it, where as Pead does to uch dancing in the backfield right now. BUT i'm not to worried, most rooke running backs have trouble with that.

5. Does anyone else feel like we are gonna have a fun defense this year?
Old 08-22-2012, 09:43 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

Vernon Gholston signed with the Rams today.

It's a whatever signing, lets see if we can actually turn this guy into a decent football player, could be his last chance to stick in the NFL. If he comes in and is pooh on the field, pretty much no harm done.
Old 08-25-2012, 03:34 AM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

Rams vs Cowboys tonight! Hopefully the starters play the entire half. There are a few key things I'll be paying attention to....

1. How has Brian Quick developed? first 2 preseason games I've just seen him run one route all the time, the slant route. I want to see him run the route tree, I want to see him catch balls downfield!

2. Scott Wells. I think he's finally playing tonight, be interesting to see him and Bradford work together, wonder if they'll be any problems, Also want to see Wells come in and anchor the big guys.

3. Trumaine Johnson/Jerome Murphy. I'm hoping that Fisher moves one of these guys to the safety position, my pick would be Murphy just because right now Trumaine looks like he might be to valuable at the cornerback spot. Hopefully Jerome can stay healthy and be our starting Free Safety, because Craig Dahl sucks.

4. Our entire receiving group. I actually love this crew more and more each day I think. I just want to see more of Steve Smith and Austin Pettis, honestly I think I already know what we're going to be getting with Danny and Chris Givens. And unfortunetly I know what we're gonna be getting from Gibson, and I know what's coming for Danario. Sad Face. Can Salas step up? He's been kinda quiet.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:22 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

Our tackling sucks today.

Daryl Richardson looks pretty good.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:57 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

Austin Davis is lookin pretty damn good.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:27 AM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Basing the format off of some of the post-game writer-ups done by ESPN's bloggers...

What it means? Last night's game illustrated that the Rams still have a lot of work to do, despite losing by only one point. When the fundamentals are so poor, it's hard to brush off a showing like this to lack of gameplanning or scheme, because those aspects of the game shouldn’t have such a big effect on the basics of football. Pick an area - tackling, coverage, blocking, accuracy, catching. Improvements still need to be made on this young rebuilding team.

Who played well? Michael Brockers and Robert Quinn were active on the defensive line. Greg The Leg Zuerlein converted both of his field goal attempts, including a 55-yard boot. Daryl Richardson looks like he’s pushing for playing time, carrying the ball for 51 yards on ten attempts and seeing first-team action in Steven Jackson’s absence.

Who didn't play well? The offensive line had a forgettable night; they did not open many big holes in the running game and allowed too much pressure in the passing game. Sam Bradford did not look sharp; more on this in a moment. Isaiah Pead continues to test fans’ patience as we’ve not seen the advertised other dimension he brings to the offense. Aside from a massive sack and forced fumble by Jo-Lonn Dunbar, the linebackers didn’t have their best night.

So how did Bradford perform? Maybe not as poorly as his stat line would indicate, but certainly not well. There were a couple of drops and more pressure than you’d like. But even when protected, Bradford looked slow in the pocket, hesitant to make throws, and his accuracy was off on a number of occasions. He made a nice throw early to the tight end, but that was about it on the night.

Pead/Richardson: Jeff Fisher might deny that there’s a competition for the #2 running back job behind Steven Jackson, but I think most fans have been more impressed with Daryl Richardson than they have been Isaiah Pead. The latter averaged less than two-and-a-half yards per carry on the night, with a long rush of six yards. The former found holes and averaged over five yards per carry, gaining fifteen yards on his longest jaunt. The amount of time that Richardson saw with the first unit seemed to suggest he’s earning some more opportunities.

In the Trenches: Center Scott Wells saw his first pre-season action against the Cowboys, and was responsible for the protection calls for the line. Perhaps he’s a little bit rusty, but the protection looked like it could use some more work despite not facing Dallas’ best players. Harvey Dahl’s presence was missed on the right side of the line, and Quinn Ojinnaka did not look ready for primetime after allowing an early sack. One of Jeff Fisher’s priorities when he came to St. Louis was to make sure his quarterback was well protected; the Rams did not achieve that goal against Dallas.

Defending the Run: My overall impression from the running game was that the interior run defense held up adequately, but the Rams allowed too many big runs off tackle and wide on the outside. Overpursuit and poor angles allowed DeMarco Murray to scamper his way to first down yardage on the outside. Where were the outside linebackers and secondary help? Missing tackles, probably. Murray and back-up Felix Jones combined to average 5.45 yards per carry; that’s a far cry from Murray’s double-digit average in the regular season against the Rams last year, but at times, it didn’t feel much different.

Jenkins: Oh boy. Janoris Jenkins has had a rather impressive rookie campaign up to this game, showing some flashes of the talent that Jeff Fisher couldn’t pass up in the draft. He nearly gave Andrew Luck his first interception, and has had some nice coverage moments. But tonight was one he’d like to forget. His tackling was poor (and that’s if you can even call his weak shoulder bump of a move on the deep sideline touchdown a tackle) and too often he was not around the receiver in coverage. If we’re being honest with ourselves, it was probably only a matter of time before Jenkins looked like a rookie out there. Hopefully he’s gotten that out of his system, because he’s being counted on.

What's next? The Rams' final preseason game is in just five days, Thursday night against the Baltimore Ravens. Jeff Fisher has a different philosophy from other coaches in that he likes to slowly build on the playing time of his starters, culminating in having them see their most time in the fourth and final preseason contest rather than using them primarily in the third game and resting them in the fourth. So expect a lot of work by the starters on Thursday, with the understanding that it will likely be against many of Baltimore's back-ups.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:52 PM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Rams and Jets appear to be finalizing a trade that will send Wayne Hunter to St. Louis in exchange for Jason Smith.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:57 PM    (permalink
Thecollegedropout
Pro Bowler

Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm so sorry fellas. You not only have to endure the awful Vernon Gholston and the dreadful Brian Schottenheimer but now you have to witness the worst tackle in the game in Hunter.

I know Jason Smith was the balls in STL but man Hunter is just terrible. At least you got Rob Turner whose okay....and Kellen Clemens whose just there I guess?
Old 08-27-2012, 10:22 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

Jason Smith is a pile of ****.

It was **** for ****.
Old 09-01-2012, 04:02 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Does anyone have thoughts on the Greg Salas trade? He was shipped to New England for a conditional late-round pick in the 2015 draft.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:00 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Jones View Post
Does anyone have thoughts on the Greg Salas trade? He was shipped to New England for a conditional late-round pick in the 2015 draft.
I'm pretty pissed about it. I loved Greg Salas, I think he'll do really well for you guys, he had his struggles last season but he showed glimpses of being a really good slot receiver.

The only reason I can think of why they traded him away and not Austin Pettis is maybe Pettis showed the potential that he could play on the outside and Salas couldn't, and with Amendola and Steve Smith (who looks healthy) if you can't play anything but the slot position, you pretty much won't see the field......again just my thoughts.

Thought it was a bit weird that Salas saw literally like 10 snaps the entire preseason.

Last edited by holt_bruce81 : 09-01-2012 at 08:03 PM.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:00 AM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
The only reason I can think of why they traded him away and not Austin Pettis is maybe Pettis showed the potential that he could play on the outside and Salas couldn't, and with Amendola and Steve Smith (who looks healthy) if you can't play anything but the slot position, you pretty much won't see the field......again just my thoughts.
I think you nailed it. Salas' future is likely in the slot, and the Rams have Danny Amendola there and want to keep him there, according to Howard Balzer's news a few days ago about a possible extension being worked on.

Salas is a fine player, flashed in the slot at times last year after Danny went down. But he hasn't been able to break through with the current group this season. Josh McDaniels is a fan though, so I bet he's got some ideas on how to bring him around down the road in New England.

In other Rams news, Jerome Murphy has been cut. The Rams are now at five corners - Finnegan, Jenkins, Johnson, Fletcher, and Pointer. Three of the five are rookies, one an UDFA.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:03 PM    (permalink
ArkyRamsFan
Veteran

ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

BREAKING NEWS!!!

The Rams have just cut Mike (Hoo Hoo) Hohomananui and Quinn Ojinnaka. Not surprised with Ojie getting the axe as he cannot play at a NFL level, but I am a little shocked that Hoo Hoo is gone.

I kinda thought with Fish's style of offense that a TE like Illini Mike would definitely have a place somewhere on this man's team.

Man, the surprises just continue...never a dull moment as a Rams fan!
Old 09-04-2012, 08:47 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

Rok Watkins starting at LG week 1.

Darian Stewart starting at SS.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:30 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

So we have two 1st rounders next year, I know it's early but with football starting up, who are some prospects you guys are interested in for the Rams?

I'm really interested in Barkevious Mingo. I know we already have two really good Defensive Ends, but you add Mingo to that rotation and that's a great group. The Giants have shown us that you can never have to many good D-Ends.

Also, looking forward to watching some Offensive tackles, guys like DJ Fluker, Chris Faulk....and hoping there's a stud safety that rises this season.

And of course the Receivers, seems like there's a decent group this year.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:42 PM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
So we have two 1st rounders next year, I know it's early but with football starting up, who are some prospects you guys are interested in for the Rams?

I'm really interested in Barkevious Mingo. I know we already have two really good Defensive Ends, but you add Mingo to that rotation and that's a great group. The Giants have shown us that you can never have to many good D-Ends.

Also, looking forward to watching some Offensive tackles, guys like DJ Fluker, Chris Faulk....and hoping there's a stud safety that rises this season.

And of course the Receivers, seems like there's a decent group this year.
OT (Joeckel, Lewan, Faulk) and receiver (Allen, Hunter, Woods) stand out right now as big possibilities. I've seen safety Eric Reid mocked to the Rams a few times, and I wouldn't mind that selection either at this point.

Unless a DE is overwhelmingly the best value on the board, then I don't think this team has the luxury of going that direction in round one.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:10 PM    (permalink
rockio42
Pro Bowler

rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Alright guys, we're just three days away. Lets hear some predictions for Week 1. I'm not talking just score, but maybe some benchmarks for the players as well.

I think it ends up DET - 31 STL - 16

I just can't see our pass defense holding up against Stafford, Johnson, etc. Finnegan is going to have a tough time if with help over the top and double teams, and that'll free up the running game & the other receivers too much. I think SJax shows that he is still a work horse and goes for 120 on 25 carries and the TD, while Zuelein boots three field goals, including 2 from 45+. As well despite Stafford & Johnson going for big yard, Long and Quinn show the duo they are going to be this year and ring up a combined 2.5 sacks.

Random at time I know, but it's just stuff that wouldn't surprise me.

Check out my twitter @mrocchio42 and check out my radio show on wqqx1490am.com. I'm on every morning with Pro Football HoF voter and NFL regular season awards voter, Howard Balzer. It's always a blast from 9-11.
Old 09-07-2012, 04:07 PM    (permalink
Maybe This Year Mayhew
Veteran

Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If
Jackson runs well
your new secondary plays out of their minds
and Bradford can dink and dunk successfully with quick throws to negate pressure with Amendola and others, you got a shot.

3 out of 3 you may pull it out
2 out of 3 close game
1 out of 3 Lions by double digits
Closed Thread