Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 09-07-2012, 03:23 PM    (permalink
eltwentyone
Rookie

eltwentyone wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.eltwentyone wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.eltwentyone wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.eltwentyone wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.eltwentyone wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.eltwentyone wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.eltwentyone wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.eltwentyone wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.eltwentyone wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.eltwentyone wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.eltwentyone wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

vikings fan here terrible writeup, first thing I read, first of all the league is a passing league, this isnt 1970, Peterson never carried the team, when we went to the nfc championship, it was favre. Stop being delusional and just reading the headlines, Percy Harvin is known to be moody, hes not unhappy, the dude gets mood swings. Saying webb will eventually take snaps away from ponder is completely laughable and shows your lack of knowledge. I am not fighting about the record it is possible with a young team but your reasoning doesn't hold anything relevant.
eltwentyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:56 PM    (permalink
molenguinurtle
Rookie

molenguinurtle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.molenguinurtle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.molenguinurtle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.molenguinurtle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.molenguinurtle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.molenguinurtle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.molenguinurtle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.molenguinurtle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.molenguinurtle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.molenguinurtle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.molenguinurtle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eazy Picks View Post
27. Jacksonville Jaguars
To say QB Blaine Gabbert struggled as a rookie would be putting it mildly, but to heap all the blame on him would also be unfair. When your two best receivers are your TE and HB, it can create some issues in the passing game. Nonetheless, Gabbert showed poor pocket presence, accuracy and overall awareness as the Jaguars finished dead last in passing yardage, yards per attempt, and QB rating. The team relied heavily on running back Maurice Jones-Drew, who led the league in rushing and averaged 4.7 yards per carry despite defenses focusing on stopping him. The Jaguars hope to have remedied their issues at receiver by bringing in a talented trio at the position. Laurent Robinson is coming off a breakout season with the Cowboys, rookie Justin Blackmon was a dominant force in college, and Lee Evans is an accomplished veteran looking to resurrect his career. Now equipped with a proper arsenal of weapons, the pressure will be on Gabbert to get this offense going.
For years, this team prided itself for the tough defense it played under head coach Jack Del Rio, who was given the axe during the 2011 season. Most of the players from that era are now gone, with LB Daryl Smith and CB Rashean Mathis being the main holdovers. Smith, along with MLB Paul Posluzny and OLB Clint Session, make up a workman-like LB core, which is the strength of the defense. Mathis has had a great career in Jacksonville but he only played five games last year and is on the wrong side of 30. CB Aaron Ross was a nice pickup and will fight for a starting job with Derek Cox. These three could potentially make up a very nice CB trio but all of them have struggled with injuries and need to show they can stay healthy. The Jaguars have high hopes for their defensive line this year. DT Tyson Alualu has proven to be a solid player but they are hoping he will take the next step along with DT Terrence Knighton, who has reportedly worked hard in the off-season to improve his conditioning. DE Jeremy Mincey will look to build on his 8-sack 2011 campaign while rookie DE Andre Branch will be expected to help Mincey in the pass-rush department.

Storyline to Watch: Turnover Battle
As bad as the Jaguar offense was last year, they did a good job of hanging onto the ball. Despite having a QB rating of only 65, Gabbert only threw 11 interceptions. And despite not having a single player with more than 2 interceptions on their defense, they managed 17 interceptions as a team. The question is whether or not they can do the same this year. With new playmakers on offense, they will likely be more aggressive in their passing game, which could result in more interceptions. Their defense, which lacks any real ball hawks, may struggle to force as many turnovers as last year. The Jaguars were able to stay in a lot of games last year despite their anemic offense and pedestrian defense. They need to not get overzealous with their new weapons and remember the importance of ball control.

Also, pretty sure we cut Lee Evans. Otherwise, agree with a lot of what you said here. Good luck to you.
Old 09-07-2012, 06:05 PM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Clay Mathews - I wouldnt say he had a bad year in 2011 and still have him as one of the top OLBs in the game, but he certainly wasnt in his 2010 form. He was in the conversation for best defender in football at that point. His numbers werent the same and neither was his impact on games. Hes one of my favorite players to watch because he has such a high motor and goes so hard every play but I wasn't seeing him being the same one-man wrecking crew in 2011 as 2010.
I would argue that his impact was actually greater last year considering what the production was around him. Raji and him were the only two players in the front seven worth a **** when rushing the passer. We'll see how much has changed investing a first rounder in a passrusher opposite of Clay. Personally, I expect more of a 2010 Packers D performance rather than a 2011. I seem to be in the minority with my optimism but I believe Nick Perry is that much better than anything we put on the other side of CM3 last year.

tjsunstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:38 PM    (permalink
Eazy Picks
Veteran

Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by molenguinurtle View Post

Also, pretty sure we cut Lee Evans. Otherwise, agree with a lot of what you said here. Good luck to you.
not saying its impossible to have success at QB without good WRs, but certainly not ideal...but in response to the guys you said....

Phillip Rivers has had Vincent Jackson, Malcolm Floyd and numerous other decent WRs that were a lot better than anyone Gabbert was working with last year. Also, lets not even compare Mercedes and MJD to Gates and LT, theyre not even in the same class, especially mercedes he is only a slightly better than average TE.

McNabb was an incredible playmaker who found ways to score no matter who he was throwing to. Yes, the James Thrash/Todd Pinkston days were horrible. And McNabbs passing numbers reflected it. But he did a great job of taking care of the football and making plays with his feet and they had a great D in the Jim Johnson-Brian Dawkins days so they won games.

Trent Green was playing behind one of the best offensive lines Ive seen in my lifetime, Willie Roaf, Willie Shields, Brian Waters, nasty. ANd Priest Holmes was playing out of his mind, he had a short reign of success but in those few years with the chiefs he was as good as any back ever has been. Oh, and Tony Gonzalez is the best TE of all time.

And all three of those guys are seasoned veteran QBs, not rookies who need a lot of work being thrown into the fire.

lee evans did get cut, i just wrote this before it hapenned and never went back to fix it
Eazy Picks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:43 PM    (permalink
Eazy Picks
Veteran

Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
I would argue that his impact was actually greater last year considering what the production was around him. Raji and him were the only two players in the front seven worth a **** when rushing the passer. We'll see how much has changed investing a first rounder in a passrusher opposite of Clay. Personally, I expect more of a 2010 Packers D performance rather than a 2011. I seem to be in the minority with my optimism but I believe Nick Perry is that much better than anything we put on the other side of CM3 last year.
Hard to say his impact was greater when the defense wasn't stopping anyone. Im not saying it was his fault, he was still probly the 2nd best player on the defense in 2011 (im putting woodson ahead of him, tramon behind him)...But when you consider that Clay Mathews had his best year in 2010, and the defense played incredibly, its hard to say that he had a more positive impact this year. I agree getting another pass-rusher is key. Teams were definetely focusing big time on Clay, but they were in 2010 too and he just always seemed to find a way to impact almost every snap, i dont feel like he was doing it quite the same in 2011, just not playing with quite the same fire IMO. Losing Cullen Jenkins I think was a big deal that no one really talked much about, he was a great interior pass-rusher as a 3-4 DE, he and Rajji created a lot of problems. We'll see what Nick Perry does, he could really be a difference maker, I almost put him as my player to watch, but I had just made the Pats player to watch their rookie pass-rusher plus Im not really sold on Perry yet. Plus Woodson is one of my all time favorite players so I went that way.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:55 PM    (permalink
Eazy Picks
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltwentyone View Post
vikings fan here terrible writeup, first thing I read, first of all the league is a passing league, this isnt 1970, Peterson never carried the team, when we went to the nfc championship, it was favre. Stop being delusional and just reading the headlines, Percy Harvin is known to be moody, hes not unhappy, the dude gets mood swings. Saying webb will eventually take snaps away from ponder is completely laughable and shows your lack of knowledge. I am not fighting about the record it is possible with a young team but your reasoning doesn't hold anything relevant.

i dont know what you read, but maybe you wanna go re-read....

This is a passing league, and thats why I said "its not uncommon to see great running backs get stuck on bad teams", MJD, Steven Jackson being a couple prime examples....That said, I was pointing out Peterson is a notch above those guys and is one of the great talents weve ever seen at the position so it is a shame he doesnt have a better team surrounding him...The Vikings did pass the ball in the Brett era a lot, too much IMO...but all I said was they took their shot and missed in the Brett Favre days, and what I meant by that is they spent a lot of money and traded draft picks bringing in vets to finish what they thought was a superbowl team and they came up short (in large part b/c of Peterson's fumble problems) and now have to rebuild while Peterson is still in his prime.

Percy Harvin....He is not happy with his contract, and he is not happy with the fact that the team sucks right now. It would be no surprise to me if he does what DeSean Jackson did last year and just doesn't go all out. Besides, having Harvin as a number 1 option is not a good thing, hes a great playmaker but not a go-to receiver.

And youre right, this is a passer's league. And the Vikings probably have the worst secondary in the league, and they have to play Aaron Rodgers, Matt Stafford and Jay Cutler 6 times thats just division games. This is the reason I have them at the bottom.

and im sorry I didnt know you could predict the future and know there is no way Joe Webb gets in the game...If Ponder struggles it could easily happen. I actually like Ponder and think he will be a good QB but the thing is I like Webb too and think he has shown a lot of upside and his running ability could give the team a spark if the offense becomes flat. The Vikings coaching staff has always really liked Webb and Im not saying it will happen but you certainly can't rule it out.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:33 PM    (permalink
onejayhawk
Veteran

onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I did a write up on the Chiefs. This is a good place to post it.

QB is the biggest weak spot on the roster. That being said, it is a flaw not a hole. This is an 11 win roster WITH Cassel at QB.

The defense will blow people back. Much attention is focused on Dontari Poe, but the main NT seems to be UDFA Anthony Toribio, who has been around the fringes for years. He is an undersized technician who will be a 2 down run stuffer. Poe will be on all the sub packages, but mostly the pass package. He gives them a big penetrator for the first time since the 1990s. Poe will collapse the pocket and snuff draw action. Think Phil Taylor. Tyson Jackson has quietly become the best two gap DE in the AFC. Dorsey is also good and there is depth. This is a vastly under rated DL, because all three positions play 2 gap.

Justin Houston is ready for a star turn. When allowed to go all out, he is a beast rusher, but he also plays the run well and is decent in coverage. Hali is a liability in coverage. Derrick Johnson is the best little known LB in the NFL.

In the secondary is the star of an outstanding defense. Brandon Flowers is a stud. Brandon Carr is gone, but Stanford Routt is a solid CB2, though not up to Carr. Eric Berry is the centerpiece. He is the 800 poung gorilla; he plays wherever he wants. Really he is a fast Jack safety with CB grade coverage skills. Even the depth is good.

Offensively, the addition of Eric Winston puts a solid player in a gaping RT hole. The rest of the line is solid, except 2nd year C Hudson, who is unproven. Charles is back, and looks full speed in camp. His career YPC is exceeded only by Jim Brown. Replacing Thomas Jones is Peyton, reunited with his OC from Cleveland. Only Ben Tate is a better RB2. Among receivers, Boss is a nice addition, Moeaki is back and Baldwin has been looking like a future Pro Bowler.

With Cassel under C, this will never be an elite unit, but he is capable of getting out of the running games way, and effectively. Though many try to disregard it, Cassel has been QB of two double digit winning teams, 2008 and 2010. If the team is good enough, he can win with it. Not everyone can.

The schedule is middle. The Chiefs avoid the power divisions, except the last place team from the AFC East and North. In division, Denver is improved, SD is solid and Oakland is retooling. Call that level.

Much is made of Romeo Crennel's time in Cleveland. He is not the only HC to fall flat there. In KC he has a much better GM and has put together a good staff. He will be his own DC, which likely means that OC Daboll will have considerable autonomy. From Miami, we know he likes to run the ball, but he did not have these tools.

Add it up, and this is an 11 win team, given reasonable health. The team is very young, with no one over 30. Of the main players, only Cassel and Derrick Johnson are even 28. Last season, they were prone to roll out stinkers, including 40 point losses to Buffalo and Detroit and 30 point losses to Miami and NY Jets. That inconsistency is a concern, but one cause of volatility is gone, former HC Haley.

J

Ad Super Bowl per Aspera
onejayhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:07 PM    (permalink
redbills
Pro Bowler

redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jets #14 at 10-6 lol. So in 10 games does their D not give up any points and they get a FG?
redbills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:23 PM    (permalink
Thecollegedropout
Pro Bowler

Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbills View Post
Jets #14 at 10-6 lol. So in 10 games does their D not give up any points and they get a FG?
Or you know maybe Sanchez has a good enough year to have the offense be respectable behind the good Defense?
Thecollegedropout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:33 PM    (permalink
The Alex
Pro Bowler

The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
I heard that Sylvester Stallone wrote The Expendables with The Alex in mind. He had to keep it realistic though and split The Alex's abilities into multiple characters. Stallone thought that critics would pan it for being too far-fetched if he just had one character effing everyone up.
The end. Cut to black. Audience goes ****ing ape****.
The Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 02:40 AM    (permalink
Eazy Picks
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMcgee View Post
Fair enough assessment. Very positive review considering the ranking, so I'm guessing a lot comes down to you not trusting Fitz so much in the end.

Spiller fits all that you said, but I feel like he is an easy answer for a player to watch. I'd be interested to see more takes on guys like Kelvin Sheppard or maybe even Scott Chandler.
now that you say it, Scott Chandler would have been a great player to put down as a player to watch. I dont see him as having potential close to Spiller, but I see how he could play a pivotal role. There is some amount of distrust in Fitzpatrick, I like what I see from him at times but then other times Im really not sure if he will ever be a winning NFL QB. But on the other hand, I look at the team and I see an offense that isnt built for Fitz to succeed. I think him and Stevie have incredible chemistry, if Stevie went somewhere else I honestly dont know how good hed be but him and Fitz are great together. But the thing is, his next 2 best receivers are running backs. Chandler could be important but I cant really say I expect big things out of him. And the rest of the receivers on that roster are kinda meh. And also the oline is pretty bad. Add all that up and even if I thought the world of Fitzpatrick Id be worried for him. There is good reason to be excited about the defense though, that DL could be the best in the league and the secondary is underrated.

I honestly havent seen enough of Shepherd to speak much on him, but if he struggles, Nick Barnett could easily slide over to the Mike, or they could stick Kirk Morrison back into the starting lineup. Either one of those guys is a perfectly fine starting MLB...I dunno if Barnett repeats his 2011 success tho
Old 09-08-2012, 02:42 AM    (permalink
Eazy Picks
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Alex View Post
OK thats pretty good lol...and nah i really dont expect most people to read it, but there are SOME wierdos out there who will actually read all my blabbering
Old 09-08-2012, 03:06 PM    (permalink
redbills
Pro Bowler

redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
now that you say it, Scott Chandler would have been a great player to put down as a player to watch. I dont see him as having potential close to Spiller, but I see how he could play a pivotal role. There is some amount of distrust in Fitzpatrick, I like what I see from him at times but then other times Im really not sure if he will ever be a winning NFL QB. But on the other hand, I look at the team and I see an offense that isnt built for Fitz to succeed. What? Quick passes get it out of his had quick offense isn't built for him???I think him and Stevie have incredible chemistry, if Stevie went somewhere else I honestly dont know how good hed be but him and Fitz are great together. But the thing is, his next 2 best receivers are running backs. Dont agree with this Nelson is a nice big slot who Fitz likes. Fred I'll give ya spiller nawChandler could be important but I cant really say I expect big things out of him. And the rest of the receivers on that roster are kinda meh. And also the oline is pretty bad. Levitre is a top 5 OG, when healthy Wood is a great C. Glenn has looked good so far at LT Urbik and Pears are solid players nothing special but solid. If u think our OLine is bad the jets must have the worst OLine everAdd all that up and even if I thought the world of Fitzpatrick Id be worried for him. There is good reason to be excited about the defense though, that DL could be the best in the league and the secondary is underrated.

I honestly havent seen enough of Shepherd to speak much on him, but if he struggles, Nick Barnett could easily slide over to the Mike, or they could stick Kirk Morrison back into the starting lineup. Either one of those guys is a perfectly fine starting MLB...I dunno if Barnett repeats his 2011 success tho
......Bold..
redbills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 03:43 PM    (permalink
Eazy Picks
Veteran

I guess we have to see...There isnt an NFL offense out there that doesnt have the potential to succeed...If Fred Jackson stays healthy, David Nelson and Scott Chandler have good years, the rookie WR contributes, Cordy Glenn has a strong season as a rookie (I really think that one is key), then sure the Bills offense could be great and they will probably be a playoff team...But who knows what will happen, I am just saying there are some obvious concerns.

And I dont know what youre picking on the Jets OL for. RT is a big issue for them but DBrick is an excellent LT and when hes healthy Mangold is a good C as there is in the league, Brandon Moore is a damn good OG...Its been the OT position that has been holding the Bills back for quite some time youre right their interior line is pretty good. Like I said what they get from Cordy Glenn is crucial to their success this season.