Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Giants Team Forum

New York Giants Team Forum Discuss the G-Men

Old 09-06-2012, 01:55 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Coe got abused on slants.

That 2nd down play call with Bradshaw was horrific.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:48 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah. I don't care what anyone says. I will always hate Gilbride. Not only is his overall system extremely complex and aged, but his situational play calling is god awful.

I know BBD says that we're attached to Gilbride at the hip because its the only offense Eli knows, but I wouldn't bat an eyelash to get rid of him.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:15 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm really torn with Gilbride because I understand the appeal of the system, hell the idea behind it is simply awesome, especially with a QB as smart as Eli to run it. But his play calling really pisses me off a lot and the stupidity of your average NFL player makes the system so hard to implement consistently. What makes it worse is how amazing we look when Eli takes over the play calling and we go no huddle. Why we can't just do that more is a question that haunts me.

Just like why Fewell needs **** to start going really bad before he simplifies his coverages and attacks. It's even worse with Fewell because my first exposure to him was in Buffalo, where **** would hit the fan in preseason, and he so did a great job simplifying and adjusting to the lesser talent he had to work with. The man's a good DC when he has to be, but give him too much talent to work with and he suddenly feels the need to be Bill Belicheck or Rex Ryan. I wonder whether the greater exposure and subsequent rooney-rule interviews have affected Fewell the way you sometimes see with OCs trying too hard to be innovative to get a HC gig.

BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 02:59 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's easy to pin it on Gilbride when we lose. But you have to have an open mind. Go back and watch that game over again. You'll see that:

1. Hakeem Nicks was a decoy. The man had absolutely no ability to separate, he had no explosion, he was useless out there. So Eli was without his #1 WR.

2. Cruz had a bad day. Too many drops, and with Nicks a decoy, the defense was able to key in on Cruz.

3. Hixon was penciled in as our #3 bc of his reliability. But he's just not good anymore. So 2 out of Eli's 3 WRs were never open.

4. Our OL sucks.

What is Gilbride supposed to do? I can make the argument that he should have ran less, and used Barden instead of Hixon as our #3. But other than that, you can't really say much. We're just banged up right now, and we have to figure out who that 3rd WR threat is gonna be on offense. And until Nicks gets healthy, our offense is in trouble.

It's on the players. We gotta get healthy, we gotta block better, and we need that 3rd WR to emerge, which hasn't happened yet.

It's week 1, the sky isn't falling yet. The Giants got too comfortable in the offseason. You saw it with the lack of intensity in this game. Hopefully this was a wake up call.

And we need our DBs to get healthy. All Romo did was locate Coe/Tryon, and audible to throw at them. We were done for from the start.
Old 09-08-2012, 03:02 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The only problem I had with Gilbride was the play calling after the Boley INT. Besides that it's just execution.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 09-08-2012, 03:04 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

I don't think anyone here is really in panic mode after 1 game.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 09-08-2012, 03:06 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah I didn't like the playcalling there either, but I don't think he expected those 2 runs to get so blown up there either. Plus an obvious blown call on 3rd and goal wouldve put us 1st and goal on the 1, and I'm sure we would have punched it in.

It happens.

I'm more concerned about our DB health. That's a problem guys. We can't have Coe and Tryon out there. We need Prince back asap. And Hosely needs to get out there.
Old 09-08-2012, 03:07 PM    (permalink
FreshBoy!
Veteran

FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
And we need our DBs to get healthy. All Romo did was locate Coe/Tryon, and audible to throw at them. We were done for from the start.
He actually went at Webster more....and was actually more successful in the process.
FreshBoy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 03:09 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshBoy! View Post
He actually went at Webster more....and was actually more successful in the process.
In the first half they went after Webster some vs Bryant. I'm not gonna kill Webster for that bc Dez is a hard cover. But the 2nd half, when you guys scored a ton, Webster was barely targeted. It was Coe and Tryon all day.

The first half we only gave up 7 points if I remember correctly. Webster did fine considering who he had to cover.
Old 09-08-2012, 03:09 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

He didn't go at Webster more it just turned out when he did go that way Webster was awful and no where near the WR.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 09-08-2012, 03:11 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Webster has difficulty with large WRs. Dez will give him a hard time, so will his arch nemesis, Vincent Jackson, who he goes against this week. VJax was one of the few who could get open on Webster, which concerns me in week 2.

I have less faith in Freeman to make the plays vs Romo though. But it is a concern.
Old 09-08-2012, 03:13 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Yup it's definitely who he struggles with. We just need our pass rush to disrupt Freeman's tempo.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 09-08-2012, 03:14 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

We're also going against our own offense this week bc the Bucs are running it now under Schiano. So we should be able to confuse Freeman and his WRs with some disguises if Fewell doesn't go full ****** on us.
Old 09-08-2012, 03:20 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Quote:
We're also going against our own offense this week bc the Bucs are running it now under Schiano. So we should be able to confuse Freeman and his WRs with some disguises if Fewell doesn't go full ****** on us.
We can never trust that.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 09-08-2012, 03:23 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
We can never trust that.
Vs the Cowboys, I was actually more disappointed in the DL finishing plays then Fewell's scheme to be fair. We had a great pass rush going, but we just couldn't wrap up. Kiwi is awful at wrapping up and has been his whole career, which bothers me a lot, Tuck should have had a lot more impact in that game than he did, he was very flat, and Osi got swallowed by Smith.

When we put JPP on Smith, Smith struggled. But he dominated Osi. Really the only pass rusher we had who brought it all game was JPP. But if you just get that pressure on one side, Romo can scramble around like he did.

We needed Osi and Tuck to bring more than they did. The pressure we got was all from JPP. He was a monster in that game. But without a guy who can create pressure opposite of him, Romo was able to scramble around, and that was another problem in this game.
Old 09-08-2012, 03:26 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

I can't blame Fewell for his coverages. It's hard to hide a turd. Especially when Web needs help on Dez. Having Austin on Coe or Tryon was just stealing candy from a baby.

The only reason why this game wasn't a blow out was bc of JPP making Romo run around for his life. Romo had an amazing game.

The coverage was the coverage though. Nothing you can really do about that. I don't like how Rolle plays Cover 2. He's never been good at it. He's always a step late over the top which is what happened on that Austin TD.

But when you have ducks in coverage, it's hard to hide them. Ask Cowboy fans, they went through it last year with Newman and Ball.
Old 09-08-2012, 03:44 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

JPP had Smith on his heels all game, very impressive. I haven't re-watched the game yet so from my angle at the stadium I can't see everything but yeah Tuck and Osi didn't do much.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 09-08-2012, 03:53 PM    (permalink
FreshBoy!
Veteran

FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

However, it’s inaccurate to say the Cowboys simply exploited the Giants’ weak links over and over again. Sure, they had success against Michael Coe and Justin Tryon, a couple of journeyman corners forced into significant roles because of injuries to Terrell Thomas (season-ending torn ACL) and Prince Amukamara (high ankle sprain).

But the Cowboys had their most success in the air when attacking Corey Webster, the Giants’ best corner.

The Cowboys completed six of seven passes for 145 yards and a touchdown when targeting Webster. The lone incompletion was a dropped interception when Romo threw an ill-advised pass right to Webster after scrambling in the first quarter.

All four of Dez Bryant's catches for 85 yards, including a 38-yard deep ball, came against Webster. Kevin Ogletree, whose first touchdown came when he split a pair of linebackers in zone coverage, torched Webster on a stop-and-go for his 40-yard score. And Miles Austin had a 20-yard reception on a deep out the lone time he was thrown the ball while matched up against the Giants’ top corner.

The Cowboys were 4-of-6 for 37 yards against Coe, with Ogletree the intended receiver on each occasion. They exploited Tryon after Coe left with a tweaked hamstring, completing all three passes thrown his way for 61 yards, including the 34-yard KO TD to Austin on a jump ball down the left sideline.
7 passes to webster.
9 passes to Coe/Tyron.

So technically..I was wrong...They didn't go at Webster "more", but they targeted him quite often. I just keep reading Giants fans saying that Romo just threw to the "backup cb's", and that's why they had so much success.
Old 09-08-2012, 03:59 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshBoy! View Post
7 passes to webster.
9 passes to Coe/Tyron.

So technically..I was wrong...They didn't go at Webster "more", but they targeted him quite often. I just keep reading Giants fans saying that Romo just threw to the "backup cb's", and that's why they had so much success.
This is why statistics can be so misleading. When Oggletree scores a 40 yard TD on zone coverage where he splits 2 LBs, how is that on Webster? Bc Webster lined up in front of him? That's why I hate those websites that spew out those statistics. It's media driven crap. That play was miscommunication. Webster was supposed to have someone up top. That's why he sunk, he didn't have to worry about the stop and go bc he was supposed to have somebody behind him. But the safety dropped into a Cover 3 look when he was supposed to drop in a cover 2 look. To understand why that happens, you gotta understand Fewell's defense. He asks his defenders to adjust the coverage similarly to how WRs are asked to make sight adjustments on routes based on coverage. It's complicated and leads to these issues once in awhile. This was one of those examples.

No one is taking any credit away from Dallas. They thoroughly outplayed the Giants and won the game fair and square.
Old 09-08-2012, 06:31 PM    (permalink
FreshBoy!
Veteran

Quote:
This is why statistics can be so misleading. When Oggletree scores a 40 yard TD on zone coverage where he splits 2 LBs, how is that on Webster? Bc Webster lined up in front of him? That's why I hate those websites that spew out those statistics. It's media driven crap. That play was miscommunication. Webster was supposed to have someone up top. That's why he sunk, he didn't have to worry about the stop and go bc he was supposed to have somebody behind him. But the safety dropped into a Cover 3 look when he was supposed to drop in a cover 2 look. To understand why that happens, you gotta understand Fewell's defense. He asks his defenders to adjust the coverage similarly to how WRs are asked to make sight adjustments on routes based on coverage. It's complicated and leads to these issues once in awhile. This was one of those examples.

No one is taking any credit away from Dallas. They thoroughly outplayed the Giants and won the game fair and square.
You have to consider the context of why I was posting that though. The media rarely knows what down it is much less what defense assignments are on any given play.

My point was moreso just to say that I've heard a lot of "Well they threw at 3rd and 4th string CB's all night", from Giants fans. Which Romo did, but he didn't exactly shy away from the #1 CB either.

Tis all....at this point it's coming off as trolling, so I'll exit stage left....wasn't intended that way.
Old 09-09-2012, 09:20 AM    (permalink
BigBlueNorwegian
Veteran

BigBlueNorwegian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBlueNorwegian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBlueNorwegian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBlueNorwegian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBlueNorwegian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBlueNorwegian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBlueNorwegian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBlueNorwegian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBlueNorwegian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBlueNorwegian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBlueNorwegian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Rewatching the game right now using the coaches film option on the awesome NFL Gamepass. First time I'm really watching coaches tape though, so I don't really know what to look for. But it's cool to be able to see the full routes of the recievers, and see how the safeties play, since you don't often get to see them on the TV! Coe really sucks at defending slants, and Hixon never gets separation from what i've seen so far.

A Bonekrusher masterpiece!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forenci View Post
JPP enjoys raping offensive tackles.
BigBlueNorwegian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 04:40 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Dealing with RGIII for the next 10 years is going to suck.
Old 09-09-2012, 05:34 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

It's one game. You sound like a Skins fan.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 09-09-2012, 08:07 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
It's one game. You sound like a Skins fan.
I mean, I loved him coming out of college so this isn't a new thought for me. And I'm sure he will take his lumps too. Just shows what he's capable of against a Spags coached defense.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:44 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Remember how much our Spags coached D struggled the first 2 games?

sig by BoneKrusher