Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 09-13-2012, 04:42 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Singletary said so himself numerous times. I don't have any links but I'm sure I'm not the only one who recalls this.
I didn't expect you to provide a link. I mean, I don't know how you could provide a link stating that a GM that didn't exist had to convince a position coach to draft a player he was in no control of taking. That link seems pretty tough to find.

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Borat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 04:44 PM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If you do a quick google search you find plenty of information that lend credence to BBD's comment.

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 04:46 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

...you don't think GMs ask their position coaches how they feel about players that...play the position they coach?

Srsly?
Old 09-13-2012, 04:52 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Where are you getting this stuff from? Singletary fell in love with Willis at the Senior Bowl when the Niner staff was coaching it. Couldn't stop raving about him. Hell, Singletary wasn't even the head coach back then. He was only a LB coach. And the GM at the time was head coach Mike Nolan. They didn't even have a GM for a couple of years after that. Singletary is such a hardheaded moron, he would never allow anyone to sway his opinion, especially when it comes to an opinion on a linebacker. That would never happen.
I do remember an interview with Singletary a while back where he mentioned initially he wasn't impressed with him that much at the Senior Bowl practices.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:39 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
...you don't think GMs ask their position coaches how they feel about players that...play the position they coach?

Srsly?
Ugh. There wasn't a GM at the time. I'm still trying to figure out whom you are talking about.

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Borat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:28 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
You know what's funny about your 2 ILBs? Mike Singletary was against drafting Willis. He didn't see it in him. But was convinced by your GM that he's the real deal.

But when it came to Bowman, Singletary was banging the table for him. Singletary swore he was gonna be the best ILB in the game, and desperately wanted him.

Singletary was so off on one of them, yet so spot on with the other. Just found that interesting. He'd tell Bowman during his rookie year that he was gonna be the best ILB in the league. I found that interesting.
No, you got players confused. It was Taylor Mays Sing was beating the drum for. Bowman was a Baalke pick. That was Baalke's first draft and all the pics were his call EXCEPT for Mays. Sing felt speed in the secondary was a issue(which it was) but he totally missed the part about Mays actually having to know how to play. I don't know what Sing saw in him but as soon as Harbaugh and Fangio saw him in pads, he was shipped out to Cincy. It's that Michael Jordan syndrome. Great players aren't always the best talent evaluators.
VAfy-ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:59 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Where are you getting this stuff from? Singletary fell in love with Willis at the Senior Bowl when the Niner staff was coaching it. Couldn't stop raving about him. Hell, Singletary wasn't even the head coach back then. He was only a LB coach. And the GM at the time was head coach Mike Nolan. They didn't even have a GM for a couple of years after that. Singletary is such a hardheaded moron, he would never allow anyone to sway his opinion, especially when it comes to an opinion on a linebacker. That would never happen.
No, he's right about that. That's when Nolan still had GM powers and was in charge of the drafts. They asked Sing about Willis and he told him that he thought he wasn't worth that high of a pick. That he was good, but "nothing special". I thought most Niner fans knew this. It's a sentence in this article about Sing watching film of Willis at Ole Miss and being disappointed.....

http://ninernoise.com/2011/12/01/ste...s-this-season/

And we've always had a GM, per say. When Nolan was hired, he had GM like control. It's one of the main reasons he took the job because he didn't trust our personnel dept at the time(and rightfully so). He and McClueless were hired at the same time and shared the GM responsibilities. Scotty Mac handled all the contracts and negotiations, scouting.....basically he had GM like powers, as he and Nolan were a team. After the 2007 season, Jed stripped Nolan of his personnel control and gave it all to McClueless and he became the de facto GM and handled everything solely until he was fired right before the 2010 draft. Baalke handled all the personnel duties on a interim basis but wasn't given the actual title of GM until after the 2010 season.

Last edited by VAfy-ya : 09-13-2012 at 07:02 PM.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:31 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfy-ya View Post
No, you got players confused. It was Taylor Mays Sing was beating the drum for. Bowman was a Baalke pick. That was Baalke's first draft and all the pics were his call EXCEPT for Mays. Sing felt speed in the secondary was a issue(which it was) but he totally missed the part about Mays actually having to know how to play. I don't know what Sing saw in him but as soon as Harbaugh and Fangio saw him in pads, he was shipped out to Cincy. It's that Michael Jordan syndrome. Great players aren't always the best talent evaluators.
Perhaps Singletary was impressed with Taylor Mays and his "watching the film" skills.

Quote:
Old 09-13-2012, 08:37 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfy-ya View Post
No, he's right about that. That's when Nolan still had GM powers and was in charge of the drafts. They asked Sing about Willis and he told him that he thought he wasn't worth that high of a pick. That he was good, but "nothing special". I thought most Niner fans knew this. It's a sentence in this article about Sing watching film of Willis at Ole Miss and being disappointed.....

http://ninernoise.com/2011/12/01/ste...s-this-season/

And we've always had a GM, per say. When Nolan was hired, he had GM like control. It's one of the main reasons he took the job because he didn't trust our personnel dept at the time(and rightfully so). He and McClueless were hired at the same time and shared the GM responsibilities. Scotty Mac handled all the contracts and negotiations, scouting.....basically he had GM like powers, as he and Nolan were a team. After the 2007 season, Jed stripped Nolan of his personnel control and gave it all to McClueless and he became the de facto GM and handled everything solely until he was fired right before the 2010 draft. Baalke handled all the personnel duties on a interim basis but wasn't given the actual title of GM until after the 2010 season.
Didn't Scott McClaughlin decide to step down for "personal reasons" right before the draft? Then later we found out he may have had some drinking problems he had to take care of. Then he re-upped with the Seahawks.

Quote:
Old 09-13-2012, 08:55 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
Didn't Scott McClaughlin decide to step down for "personal reasons" right before the draft? Then later we found out he may have had some drinking problems he had to take care of. Then he re-upped with the Seahawks.
Correct but its also widely known that instead of "embarrassing" McClueless by dismissing him, we gave him the option to re-sign and potentially land on his feet, which he did in Seattle.