Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Indianapolis Colts Team Forum

Indianapolis Colts Team Forum Discuss the Colts

Old 09-16-2012, 09:09 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Nice win. They made it a bit too interesting at the end, but pulled it out.
MaxV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 11:50 PM    (permalink
RagingColt
Rookie

RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

First win for Chuck and Luck

No INTs tossed by Luck

Avery played very well today

Lot's of pressure on Ponder

Redding played well for a FA signing - he avoids injury he can be the leader on the D.

Vinny at age 39 is still clutch.

Pat the Punter is becoming a force for our defense is vital.

Mathis is transitioning well as a LB

Dislikes

Outside of Castonzo, our O-Line is absolute crap. Luck typically has to dodge one or two players or run out of the pocket to even step up to throw. We're missing several players and have backups behind backups playing but still, this isn't how you keep a rookie QB upright for a whole season.

Donald Brown isn't very good running off guard. He does best in space and I suspect some quick screen passes to the flat might help him.

Our play calling by Arians in the 4th quarter was really conservative. True we got a rookie QB behind a patchwork line, but let him fling one or two for attempts on 1st downs.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:42 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingColt View Post
Outside of Castonzo, our O-Line is absolute crap. Luck typically has to dodge one or two players or run out of the pocket to even step up to throw. We're missing several players and have backups behind backups playing but still, this isn't how you keep a rookie QB upright for a whole season.

Donald Brown isn't very good running off guard. He does best in space and I suspect some quick screen passes to the flat might help him.

Our play calling by Arians in the 4th quarter was really conservative. True we got a rookie QB behind a patchwork line, but let him fling one or two for attempts on 1st downs.
I'll say this. I thought the playcalling, outside of the incredibly stupid conservative run-after-run series where we were backed up into the endzone and still running, was much improved over last week. I was afraid Arians was going to be inflexible but he saw what didn't work and made some improvements over last game. More running, more balance. Some better passes to get rid of the ball quicker. He is limited on what he can do with such a crap OL.

That said, any runs that require Brown to break a tackle and find a hole between the tackles need to go. We need to run outside more, preferably to the left. And Brown is not an every-down back. I'm not sure what else there is to find out here. He is dangerous in space but has no vision behind the line, and no power to break through arm tackles. He is a situational back. Use him the right way.

Outside of the incredibly dumb 22 yard sack, Luck played a very good game. I'd still like him to put some more power into some throws, hopefully he actually can and is just not able to set his feet because of all the pressure. But his pocket awareness and athleticism, as well as field vision and touch, are incredible. We are so lucky. Pun not intended.

I enjoyed watching defense. Did not like all the zone coverage, stupid calls there. But the pressure was good and when the DBs played man they seemed to do well. There were some times when Ponder just had no one to throw to. Moala made a few actual plays today. And Redding was a serious force. We still need a real NT. Let's hope Josh Chapman is ready to go by week 8.

It looks like Freeney's replacement is a platoon of Hughes, Addison, and Hickman. I guess that works. We will probably draft a pass rusher in the first round. Thanks Chris Polian!

Way too many Vikings fans at the game today. I know that kind of comes with the territory this year, but come on. It is the home opener. Colts "fans" piss me off sometimes.

i done stole dis sig
killxswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:15 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Colts sign NT Nick Jean-Baptiste and OT Tony Hills to PS.

Colts' fans were on Baptiste bandwagon not so long ago.
Old 09-19-2012, 01:30 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I was never a huge fan but I'm not against him either. Seems like a solid enough PS signing. Maybe he will develop.

i done stole dis sig
Old 09-19-2012, 08:10 AM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Seems like Grigson has a "throw everything against the wall, see what sticks" philosophy.

Which I personally prefer to Polian's "sit back, see what happens" philosophy.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:06 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

Overall I think I prefer that. I'm still wondering about the Josh Gordy trade though. Why isn't he our nickelback yet?

i done stole dis sig
Old 09-20-2012, 12:27 PM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
I like trying to make moves and improve. I am not so sure these will be upgrades. If anything I'd expect Essex would stick. Hopefully better than Olsen or McGlynn.
essex isnt terrible, but hes almost terrible. Hes an awful guard because hes a 330 pound finesse player. Servicable at tackle though, good guy to have as a backup but a very shaky every week starter, does seem to play well in a pinch tho
Old 09-20-2012, 01:38 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

330 lb. finesse player is not what we want to hear K Train! Against the Vikings he did OK. He wasn't the weakest Link anyway.

i done stole dis sig
Old 09-20-2012, 11:36 PM    (permalink
RagingColt
Rookie

RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Play the Jags on Sunday who appear a bit more inept heading into this game than us. MJD appears to be the only real threat as Gabbert is still their QB. They've got potential stars in Blackmon and Robinson at WR but they're new to the team.

So long as the O-Line blocks just long enough for Luck to throw, I like our chances. Would think Freeny and Collie will be held out to play as the bye week follows.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:13 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

The Jags have two pretty good DTs in Tyson Alualu and Terrance Knighton. We saw in the Bears game what our guards are, or rather aren't, capable of. So Luck will again probably not be able to step up into the pocket. Hopefully Arians improves his playcalling again like he did between game 1 and game 2. It would be nice to have Reitz and Satele back for this game but I have my doubts.

I'd like to see our defense generate a few turnovers and really abuse Gabbert.

i done stole dis sig
Old 09-21-2012, 06:41 PM    (permalink
falloutboy14
Veteran

falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I thought I'd heard that Gabbert had been playing with relative poise compared to last year. With Freeney likely out, I'm looking forward to Hughes getting beat or just out of position and MJD/whoever running it outside routinely.
falloutboy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:09 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Very disappointing loss.

You just can't allow a big play there.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:05 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

I'm very disappointed in this loss. I will add more thoughts later once I have time. I have low expectations for this season on the whole but the Jags should not have won tonight.

i done stole dis sig
Old 09-23-2012, 10:52 PM    (permalink
falloutboy14
Veteran

falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm all in on the Suck for lotulelei/Jarvis Jones wagon. Get a top-5 pick, and with it a defensive stud. Give Grigson an off-season to start spending all of the dead money that we've got built up. Fill in some of the holes on the team, and get some depth as well. Hopefully we can start competing for a play-off spot. It may be pessimistic, but it also affords me the option to not care if our short-term answers (Johnson, McGlynn etc.) can't get the job done, since hopefully they'll be upgraded in the off-season.

I do want to see our young guys improve, specifically Fleener I haven't seen much from. But if during the year our rookies stop making rookie mistakes, I don't actually care what our record is at the end.

Last edited by falloutboy14 : 09-23-2012 at 10:56 PM.
Old 09-23-2012, 11:33 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Unfortunately, we have a lot of short-term non-answers.

Grigson already traded away half of the draft (although we are expected to get multiple compensation picks).

I hope they hit the Free Agent market hard.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:29 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

Game-specific:

- We got screwed by the refs. I have said all preseason and regular season long, they're no worse than the pro refs. I was wrong. The crew yesterday got talked into multiple calls by the Jaguars players. It's clear these refs are intimidated by the players. They won't break up the piles or scuffles after the whistle. They don't blow the whistle fast enough. They call some things too much and others not enough, and in this game they didn't even call the same types of penalties the same way for both teams. Donnie Avery gets an elbow to the head before he can catch the ball, no PI. But our DBs handfight and get PI. Sometimes several seconds after the whistle is blown. Pathetic. We need the real guys back, even though they suck too. They're significantly less terrible.

- Playcalling again got stupid in the 2nd half. We don't have the defense to smother any offense for an entire half while our offense goes to sleep. Yesterday proved that. We let Blaine ****ing Gabbert pull out a 4th Q comeback. And of course we let MJD run wherever and whenever he wanted. I like committing to the run and Brown actually had a few carries that looked solid. But Arians has got to give Luck some more slack. Who cares if Luck makes some mistakes on adjustments at the line of scrimmage? This is going to be a learning year, clearly. Let him figure things out this season.

- Fleener can't block and apparently can't catch. This is why I didn't want to draft him. I didn't think his athleticism would actually translate to him getting open a lot (though they don't seem to put him in position to succeed a lot of the time either), and I thought if he had great hands and ran great routes he should've had better production in college. He is a long way away from where he needs to be. He's a rookie so he will improve. But Cordy Glenn or Amini Silatolu would certainly be a bigger help to this team right now. I personally think either would've been a better choice overall. Allen can't even go out on routes much since he has to help pass protect.

- I'm not sure what to take away from the front 7 yesterday. MJD running wild is nothing new. It's disappointing, but he's hard to defend against. It would've been helpful to have a true Ted LB yesterday, Freeman struggled tackling him in part because he was not getting slowed down much by any of our DLmen. Conner has solid instincts but lacks the strength and size to really play this position.

- I actually didn't think the OL was as bad yesterday. I think McGlynn is a better center than guard. His snaps were better and he appears to block better from the middle. If only we had healthy guards that didn't suck. Castonzo is a definite keeper, he seems to have turned a corner this year and is just really good on the left side. Justice, for all his problems, doesn't get beat like Linkenbach. Luck did have to move away from pressure more than I'd like, and can't let longer plays develop, but if I remember right he didn't get sacked.

Hopefully we get some guys healthy, like Angerer, Satele, Reitz, Freeney, Davis. We have two weeks to do it. Also I'm hoping to see Luck given more freedom to make the calls from the line more often. Not to the extent that Manning did it, not yet. But Arians isn't getting it done calling every play, especially in the 2nd half. Pagano might need to step in here. They drafted Luck to be Manning's replacement. He's not a game manager. Let him get after it.

Long-term

It's still early but at this point I'd be surprised if we didn't get a top 10 pick. Maybe even top 5. How many teams can we confidently say are worse than us right now? Given this possibility, we have several directions we can go in the draft. I prefer defense. Unless Freeney returns and has a monster year at OLB, he is gone. Hughes and Addison are OK depth but are not starters. So Jarvis Jones, Barkevious Mingo, or Bjeorn Werner are all real possibilities. Star Lotulelei and Jonathan Hankins as well, unless Chapman gets back from injury and really commands the middle.

I don't think any offensive positions should be addressed early, other than OL. And I think overall I'd prefer to sign OL in free agency. We'll have over $40 million in cap space. Hopefully we can lure away one of the many OTs in a contract year. I wish there were some high-end guards coming up in free agency but there aren't. Another option, if the defensive guys we like aren't there when we pick, would be Chance Warmack. He and Castonzo would be two very good players to build the OL around.

We also need a real starting SS. Zbikowski isn't fast, isn't strong in coverage, isn't good in run support, isn't a big hitter, isn't a good wrap-up tackler, doesn't take good angles because he isn't in position to. He is invisible for much of the game. I know TJ McDonald and Bacarri Rambo are possible draftees. Not sure if Rambo will declare. But early 1st round will probably be too high for any of them, and we don't have a 2nd. So SS might need to come from free agency. I would love to get William Moore (ATL), but there are other possibilities if he is franchised or just re-signs w/them: Louis Delmas (DET), Pat Chung (NE), Kenny Phillips (NYG), LaRon Landry (NYJ).

I am a little irritated right now about giving up a 2nd for Davis. He played well enough vs. Minny but got penalized for mugging a JAX WR that he should've been able to cover, and then he got hurt. I was hoping to make the Dolphins look bad with this trade but right now it looks bad for us. I think Davis has the potential to be a long-term player for us, I just hope he lives up to it sometime this year.

i done stole dis sig
Old 09-24-2012, 12:04 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Something I wanted to add before.

If we do draft Lotulelei, I would want him to play DE. 3-4 NT is certainly important, but it's more of a blue-collar position.

Star should be put in position where his great athletic ability is being utilized.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:00 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxV View Post
Something I wanted to add before.

If we do draft Lotulelei, I would want him to play DE. 3-4 NT is certainly important, but it's more of a blue-collar position.

Star should be put in position where his great athletic ability is being utilized.
I'd expect him to play multiple positions. As much as he's been hyped I would hope he would be our Ngata.

i done stole dis sig
Old 09-24-2012, 09:47 PM    (permalink
RagingColt
Rookie

Sad to see Collie go down again this time with a knee injury. As for the game, I expected the Colts to win and was screaming "NO!" loudly at the TV on the long pass play. The easy portion of the schedule is over with. Many holes to fill over the next few years with as mentioned before, interior O-Line and pass rushers being the key needs.

Davis looks awful so far as a Colt. That 2nd rounder we gave up will end up being about pick #37-#40 I suspect. Too much to give up for a knucklehead of a player both on and off the field. He's got improve mightily after the bye week for this deal to look somewhat decent for us.

I think the deal on the 5 yard delay of game penalty that pushed the team back on the field goal was a result of two things. One I suspect Chuck considered going for then sent the field goal team on. They didn't want to use a time out since he had already lost one on a challenge. That said, the entire squad had nor urgency to get on the damn field. Vinny needs to make the kick, but come on!

Lots of petty calls were flagged or major ones not called at all. The replacement refs have no consistency whatsoever.

Really like our young WRs esp Hilton. Allen looked decent but Fleener hit the witness protection system. Reggie still has it.

Our lack of aggressive play calling in the 2nd half has really diminished the team the last two weeks. Wanting to set up the run is fine but utilize some sweeps or tosses to get Brown to the edge in space. We don't have talent inside to run block effectively on a consistent basis. Nothing wrong with letting Luck fling it on 2 and 10.

This season is really just one get our players acclimated to the systems. We've got many holes on both sides of the ball but do have key talent in some good areas namely QB and WR. That's crucial now more than ever.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:28 PM    (permalink
falloutboy14
Veteran

Colts: Joe Reitz, Seth Olsen, Vontae Davis, Justin King all out for Sunday's game

Apparently Link is starting at LG as the 3rd on the depth chart. Cassius Vaughn in at left cb. Good Luck~
Old 10-05-2012, 03:47 PM    (permalink
RCAChainGang
Pro Bowler

RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This is bs for coming off a bye.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Bill Polian is cancer wrapped in AIDS delivered in an XXL enema so please don't expect me to disagree with you.
RCAChainGang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:54 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

Yeah this is pretty terrible. You guys remember what happened the last time Linkenbach started at guard right?

i done stole dis sig
Old 10-05-2012, 05:10 PM    (permalink
falloutboy14
Veteran

I remember him being shockingly bad. You normally expect poor tackles to be able to transition to being serviceable guards. But he was just so absolutely poor. Was there something more noteworthy about the game?
Old 10-05-2012, 10:39 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by falloutboy14 View Post
I remember him being shockingly bad. You normally expect poor tackles to be able to transition to being serviceable guards. But he was just so absolutely poor. Was there something more noteworthy about the game?
It was against the Chargers. Antonio Garay... well just watch the video.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/san-diego-...sack-6-yd-loss

i done stole dis sig