Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Carolina Panthers Team Forum

Carolina Panthers Team Forum Discuss the Panthers

Old 08-27-2012, 02:54 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Mediocre performance but I'm not that worried. Running the ball better on first and second down will help cure those 3rd & 8s.

Tutu starting will never happen again. He can't play. Murphy is a good receiver and will be the third wideout.

Kuechly is a beast. 10 tackles, 2 solo. He was the first to the ball and the defense helped. His reaction time is fantastic. Gang tackling is the best way to play the run.

Disappointed in CJ, that was pathetic. I don't know if the pass rush will improve much.

So, with the cuts coming up, here is the 2010 draft:

Jimmy Clausen
Brandon LaFell
Armanti Edwards
Eric Norwood
Greg Hardy
David Gettis
Jordan Pugh
Tony Pike
R.J. Stanford
Robert McClain

If you ever wondered why the Panthers lack depth...

Last edited by ShutDwn : 08-27-2012 at 06:12 PM.
ShutDwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:43 AM    (permalink
JPF
Veteran

JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Let's see, of that list...

Jimmy Clausen- likely makes the roster due for cap reasons
Brandon LaFell- #2 receiver
Armanti Edwards- likely gone
Eric Norwood- already gone
Greg Hardy- starting DE but would really be better as a back up
David Gettis- PUP, starting to wonder if he's coming back
Jordan Pugh- may or may not make it
Tony Pike- was gone a while ago
R.J. Stanford- probably will be gone
Robert McClain- gone for a while

Hurney does pretty well in the first round but after that his picks are iffy at best.
JPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:15 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Greg hardy #1

He was lining up inside a lot against the jets on passing downs. On a third down he lined up on mangolds nose and drove him back completely. If you don't want hardy then you don't deserve him!
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 04:09 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Vito View Post
Greg hardy #1

He was lining up inside a lot against the jets on passing downs. On a third down he lined up on mangolds nose and drove him back completely. If you don't want hardy then you don't deserve him!
He does get moved around a lot. I didn't get to really analyze anything from the Jets game and I was also watching it on a box television I could barely read numbers. I hope his stamina is increased along with his weight. Frank Alexander should help out too.

Oh, and I hate box televisions.Every throw was suspenseful because receivers were twenty yards offscreen.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:57 PM    (permalink
JPF
Veteran

JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Vito View Post
Greg hardy #1

The knock on Hardy is his stamina. He gets ridiculously worn down as the game (and the season) goes on. Maybe he fixed it this offseason, maybe not. But if he hasn't, he should be a rotational player and not a starter.
Old 09-02-2012, 02:14 PM    (permalink
JPF
Veteran

And speaking of wasted picks...we just cut last years 3rd rounder Terrell McClain.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:02 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPF View Post
And speaking of wasted picks...we just cut last years 3rd rounder Terrell McClain.
It's a sunk cost at this point. This current draft is shaping up much better than last.

Besides, we cut him because we instantly upgraded his position. We signed Dwan Edwards who was cut due to a crowded depth chart in Buffalo. He played with the Ravens as well. I'm on board with adding another veteran to the defense and he is versatile. I don't think the front four is going to generate pressure so I hope he can occupy lineman on blitzes ala 3-4 ends and tackles.

I'm not mad when they offer a solution like this. He's an immediate starter.

Quote:
“Dwan was a beast this year in camp,” center Eric Wood wrote. “I wish him well. Great teammate and a great guy.”
Linebacker Nick Barnett wrote that he was “Absolutely disappointed,” and added, “Can not have enough guys on your team like him!!”
Edwards did end up signing with the Carolina Panthers on Sunday.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports...4ed_story.html

I think we will be equipped, on paper, to stop the run. As for the pass, I think pass defense will go as our three defensive rookies go, Alexander, Kuechly and Norman.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:27 PM    (permalink
JPF
Veteran

The "sunk cost" is one of those wasted draft picks you yourself was saying was one of the reasons we lack depth. Just because you like the player he was cut for doesn't change the fact it was a wasted pick.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:31 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
The "sunk cost" is one of those wasted draft picks you yourself was saying was one of the reasons we lack depth. Just because you like the player he was cut for doesn't change the fact it was a wasted pick.
Getting upset over it doesn't do any good. When McClain was picked makes no difference in Hurney's decision.

I understand the frustration but it's not as if there's no hope.

Keuchly - probably the best LB on the team already
Amini - starting and doing well
Alexander - good preseason, could push Hardy for more time
Adams - returning punts, could improve dysmal ST, crowded offense though
Norman - currently running outside corner in nickel, should be starting soon

So while we cut a 3rd rounder, we have three guys in this current draft who were picked after the third round and are expected to contribute.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:51 PM    (permalink
JPF
Veteran

He was cut after being on the 53 man roster for not even a full calendar year. A wasted pick is a wasted pick. And still supports your argument of why the team lacks depth.

I really don't understand why you're arguing me supporting your point.

Last edited by JPF : 09-03-2012 at 10:54 PM.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:28 AM    (permalink
Cigaro
All-NFLDC

Location: Two-thirds of the Earth is covered by water, the other one-third is covered by Luke Kuechly
Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I am happy about signing Dwan Edwards. I don't expect the world from him, but he may be a pretty decent player overall. Not really happy about cutting McClain after only a year, but I will just have to trust the coaches with that one. Its not like he was exactly looking like a stud.

As for Joe Adams, I have zero expectations for him offensively. That being said, he will be worth the roster spot if he lives up to the flashes of returning prowess he has shown.

Sig by Matthew Jones
Cigaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:28 AM    (permalink
JPF
Veteran

I agree, Adams is definitely worth the spot as a returner. Hard to see him getting any reps on offense barring some injuries.

Alexander I'd like to be excited but he's another player we traded a future pick to get and Hurney's track record in those moves suck (Otah, Everette Brown, Armanti, ugh).

Norman is probably the player I'm the most excited about other than Luke & Amini. If he can beat out Captain for the starting job I just might name my next kid after him.

Last edited by JPF : 09-04-2012 at 07:30 AM.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:41 AM    (permalink
JPF
Veteran

My thoughts on today's game....

* O-line looked horrible. Hangartner should not be a starter at this point in his career. Bell was beaten so often I stopped keeping track. Amini is a rookie making the jump from the small college level so an adjustment period is expected. I'll never understand not upgrading RT in free agency or the draft.

* I said it last year and I'll say it again, DeAngelo is not effective without a lead blocker.

* Nakamura easily got looked off by Freeman at least twice that I saw. Once on the touchdown, the other on a pass to Vincent Jackson. Both were completions to where I believe he was suppose to be.

* Nortman needs to punt a little faster. Did anyone not know we were going to get one blocked after the first punt of the day almost was?

* Like what I saw of Dwan Edwards today, not that impressed by Ron Edwards.

* Thomas Keiser was inactive why exactly? He's done more than Applewhite EVER has.

* Cam rebounded pretty well from the INT's I thought.

* Munnerlyn usually is really good on Special Teams, but damn. Talk about a stupid penalty.

One game, things can change. Not going to write off this season, and a lot of the things I noted were things that can be fixed as the team gels....but the O-line is something that was an issue last year and I don't understand why they didn't make more of an effort to fix this past offseason.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:01 AM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

[quote=ShutDwn;3112170]Hunches are always stronger in hindsight, but I never had a good feeling about this game going into it. I hate playing divisional opponents that we clobbered the year before. It's just so much easier for a coach to motivate players to go beat the "bully." Good teams know how to deal with that and this was the first time in that position.

I give credit to the defense, I thought they weathered that initial storm and locked things down for the most part. After the Bucs first two drives they didn't do much. Their back finished with 4 YPC but he was around 3 most of the game. I thought our linebackers looked fast and strong against the run. Thomas Davis' hit on the goalline was amazing.

But the offense... Wow. When has a team ever rushed for 10 yards, turned the ball over twice, let up a punt block and won? I didn't see and ounce of physical play from the offense. This type of game is awful for DeAngelo.

The offensive line was the biggest loser in the game. The offense is explosive but they seemed like they were incapable of just taking the consistent gains and marching. They have to get the run game if this offense will work.

Good job Rivera, way to have your team ready to play

Last edited by ShutDwn : 09-10-2012 at 01:01 PM.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:05 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So what's up with DeAngelo? Is this what the rest of the season will be like for him? Or is he a good buy low candidate?
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:55 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Read this: https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...aneers-week-1/

WTF Chud? Get your **** together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
So what's up with DeAngelo? Is this what the rest of the season will be like for him? Or is he a good buy low candidate?

Well, our OC had his head up his ass as you can see by the link above. Some people don't like his game that much but DeAngelo really had zero opportunity. His guards were destroyed and we ran him out of passing sets.

He's really never been a fast starter for the season.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:51 AM    (permalink
JPF
Veteran

DeAngelo has always warmed up as the season went on, but he's a back that needs a lead blocker and better O-line play than the team had this past week.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:08 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

finally, a gif of this where I can see what the hell is going on:

Yeah... Compare that to the PI call on Norman against Vincent Jackson. That pass wasn't even catchable.

You can see the ref watching from our exact angle too. This type of play is going to happen all year I think. Hope we come out on the better end more than not.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:31 PM    (permalink
Legacy
Veteran

Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Pass interference or not (and I'll admit that I was surprised they didn't throw the flag), Newton never should have made that throw.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:30 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legacy View Post
Pass interference or not (and I'll admit that I was surprised they didn't throw the flag), Newton never should have made that throw.
It looks like a perfect throw to me. LaFell is coming down with that 10/10 times. That's his biscuits and gravy. Cam said he wasn't upset about his choice to throw that ball and he knows it's because the refs jobbed him.

The other INT is the one he shouldn't have thrown.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:38 PM    (permalink
Legacy
Veteran

Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He threw that into triple coverage. Even if Talib hadn't broken it up, the defender who cleaned up LaFell would have knocked that ball loose.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:14 PM    (permalink
Cigaro
All-NFLDC

Location: Two-thirds of the Earth is covered by water, the other one-third is covered by Luke Kuechly
Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legacy View Post
He threw that into triple coverage. Even if Talib hadn't broken it up, the defender who cleaned up LaFell would have knocked that ball loose.
Into triple coverage, but literally right at the receivers hands. Foolish throw if you screw up the accuracy, true, but he was clearly accurate.

Sig by Matthew Jones
Cigaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:31 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

There's that offense we came to love. Cam had another efficient game completing 70% but no turnovers.

Offense:
Brandon LaFell is really emerging. The pass protection was pretty good today and Newton looked great moving in the pocket. DeAngelo and Stewart got cranking and made the biggest difference from last week. Olsen didn't show up at all and I don't know if Murphy was on the field much at all. Shout out to Kalil for wrecking Harper on that run by LaFell.

Defense:
Statistically it doesn't look good at all but I thought they played well enough against Drew Brees who was in air it out mode through the last half of the game. I'd like more pressure but I like the line 10x more than last year. I have to think Martin being gone has something to do with that. Norman also played well. I hardly saw Brees throw against him. Gamble had a TD saving deflection. It's great to see Beason and TD out there making plays. Kuechly has been quiet but I can't complain when it's because those vets are making plays. Godfrey is having a good year so far. If the defense starts wrapping up better they'll drastically improve.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:10 AM    (permalink
JPF
Veteran

160+ rush yards, not happy with the run d right now.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:25 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
160+ rush yards, not happy with the run d right now.
But did they give up those yards the same way they did last year? If they can improve their tackling they'll put up much better statistics. They're in position, just not making the play (except that 48 yarder).

I'd rather have Pierre Thomas be the Saint that had the big game than Jimmy Graham or Sproles.

Also:

Last edited by ShutDwn : 09-17-2012 at 02:39 PM.