Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Cincinnati Bengals Team Forum

Cincinnati Bengals Team Forum Who dey gonna discuss dem Bengals?

Old 09-15-2012, 12:41 PM    (permalink
themaninblack
All-Pro

themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Week 2-- Cleveland Browns @ Cincinnati Bengals

I shall be in attendance for this game, hopefully we decide to play defense this time and make a statement. It's a rivalry game on a short week so I am a little bit wary but I think this team is eager to prove that last week was a fluke.

Would like to see us make it a point to pound the running game a **** ton. One of the few bright spots from the Ravens game was the play of the OL and I look forward to seeing that continue. Will be paying particular attention to Boling this week as I spent last week monitoring Zeitler, who played pretty darn good. Lapham was raving about Boling this week so I'm eager to see him continue his development. Wharton's injury could turn out to be a blessing in disguise in that we may have our LG of the future getting a chance to cement his spot. Joe Haden is not playing so you'd figure AJ could have a field day out there.

The most important thing I would like to see out of the defense is stopping the run. I know we looked bad in the passing game last week but that was a product of a lot of factors IMO such as pass rush and our inability to stop Rice from running at will. That concerned me more than anything because we have hung our hat on stopping the run for the past few years and we're gonna need to be able to do that to remain competitive.

Sucks to hear that Thomas Howard went down with a torn ACL but we do get to see Vontaze Burfict start for the first time, albeit at Outside instead of the Middle. Curious to see how he handles himself and hopefully he can be a force out there. Dunlap looks questionable for this game and if there's any doubt they should probably let him sit unless we absolutely need him, which I don't forsee.

We need to get in the win column this week and I suspect we will. WHO DEY!

^A Bonekrusher production^
Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165
themaninblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 04:04 PM    (permalink
Pat Sims 90
All-Pro

Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Bengals need Dunlap back right now. The Bengals have no pass rush at all.

RIP themaninblack
Pat Sims 90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:53 PM    (permalink
BuckeyeDan17
Pro Bowler

BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Good game dudes. Your receivers ***** slapped our secondary.

Have it your way, with BK (BoneKrusher)
BuckeyeDan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:14 PM    (permalink
themaninblack
All-Pro

themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We have a decent pass rush without Carlos, we have a really good one with him.

Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165
Old 09-16-2012, 08:49 PM    (permalink
Bengals78
All-Pro

Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaninblack View Post
We have a decent pass rush without Carlos, we have a really good one with him.
no we dont.
I usually agree with you.
But no we dont.
It is pathetic right now. BRANDON WEEDEN had all day.

bonekrusher
The Twitters
themaninblack
Bengals78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:19 PM    (permalink
Bengalsrocket
Pro Bowler

Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengals78 View Post
no we dont.
I usually agree with you.
But no we dont.
It is pathetic right now. BRANDON WEEDEN had all day.
Our defense just doesn't look good right now. It could just be a culmination of our entire D being pretty average minus a few stand outs, but it feels like we need to fill holes all over.

If Dunlap comes back, I expect our secondary to look slightly better. But outside of Clements, I don't trust anyone, not even Hall. If they're throwing the ball -- I'm nervous.

Pass rush is definitely the biggest issue with this team right now though. Dunlap and Atkins are terrific, but with 1 injury we go from a really solid defensive team to a team that needs to win a shoot out against a rookie QB.
Bengalsrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:27 PM    (permalink
Bengals78
All-Pro

Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We have nothing on the front 4 right now.
They are getting manhandled.
Geno cant beat the double team. Peko is about useless. MJ is hapless at times. Geathers is junk.

Ugh

bonekrusher
The Twitters
themaninblack
Old 09-16-2012, 11:03 PM    (permalink
StripedWalrus
Pro Bowler

StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengalsrocket View Post
Our defense just doesn't look good right now. It could just be a culmination of our entire D being pretty average minus a few stand outs, but it feels like we need to fill holes all over.

If Dunlap comes back, I expect our secondary to look slightly better. But outside of Clements, I don't trust anyone, not even Hall. If they're throwing the ball -- I'm nervous.

Pass rush is definitely the biggest issue with this team right now though. Dunlap and Atkins are terrific, but with 1 injury we go from a really solid defensive team to a team that needs to win a shoot out against a rookie QB.
And not just any rookie QB, a really bad one.
StripedWalrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 11:09 PM    (permalink
themaninblack
All-Pro

It's not as bad as you're making it seem, at least not when you look at it compared to the rest of the league. It's ok in the sense that Geno is pretty sick but having Geathers out there instead of Dunlap makes it super-easy to key on him all day. He got by for a long time because teams really didn't know much about him but now that he's the only legit threat it's kind of easy. I do not understand why we take him out to put Still in though. You don't take your best player off the field regularly, you just don't. I like Still I think he can be an effective NFL player but taking Geno off the field is like sacrilege. I think it also screws with his rythm as well, he doesn't seem like the same player when he can't set people up for some of the really awesome moves that he can pull. The depth at DE is a huge issue as well, even Geathers can be a solid player when he's put in for a few plays here and there, but not having guys like Rucker and Fanene to bring in as fresh legs is a huge loss for this team, which I have said was a huge deal ever since we lost em. Jamaal Anderson is really not a suitable replacement for them either.

The Browns have an awesome OL, say whatever you want about the rest of their team but they are legitimately one of the best in the entire league. Our LBers make the DL look worse than it really is but when you have Luga overruning plays left and right it's not good. Losing Howard was a bigger deal than even I recognized, knowing that he was far and away the best LBer on the team.

I still maintain that S is our biggest issue on D. Reggie Nelson is not all that good and we literally have no one on the opposite side of him. It makes good players like Hall seem worse than they really are when you are in Cover 2 and somehow there is no safety on that side of the field. We got guys that can hit and are decent in run support but there is not a single safety on this roster aside from Clements that can help us in pass coverage.

Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165

Last edited by themaninblack : 09-16-2012 at 11:17 PM.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:28 PM    (permalink
Bengals78
All-Pro

No, it is. And it isn't just the pass rush. It is the DL as a whole. No push vs the run. Not a single player on defense really has gotten any sort of consistent pressure.

DE and S are both big issues. I think DE is a bigger concern because we have 0 guys on roster who are starting caliber DE and DE is higher up the totem pole than S.

bonekrusher
The Twitters
themaninblack
Old 09-17-2012, 08:43 AM    (permalink
FootballGod
Rookie

FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We could use T.J. McDaniel from USC in the draft next year. Also Rey Maualuga sucks ass!
Old 09-17-2012, 11:29 AM    (permalink
StripedWalrus
Pro Bowler

StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Here is a pretty good article about Luga and other defensive players.

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2012/9/17...engals-defense
StripedWalrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:24 PM    (permalink
Bengals78
All-Pro

My biggest problem with that is it again fails to address the DL.

bonekrusher
The Twitters
themaninblack
Old 09-17-2012, 08:50 PM    (permalink
themaninblack
All-Pro

That's because the DL is probably the only unit on defense that is above average when everyone is healthy, and when we don't make stupid substitutions on key drives like with Still. Again, their OL is awesome (as is T-Rich) and it made us look bad at times yesterday but I don't suspect that it will be a continuing problem for the rest of the year. The real thing that is concerning me the most with the run game is that the DL is generally in position but once the RB reaches the second level its like no one is there. Luga is the biggest perpetrator but Lawson/Burfict/Skuta all did this more than once yesterday too. I'd be more concerned about the DL in rush defense if our LBers were getting blocked consistently and were unable to make tackles because of it, but that was simply not the case yesterday. Not getting a huge 'push' is not the end all be all. Geno gets a huge push regularly and runs himself out of the play a lot.

Part of our inability to generate a consistent pass rush has to do with the fact that we are not really blitzing effectively and/or not bringing more people than they can block, which is really how you do it in the NFL in this day and age. Part of that has to do with playcalling, and part of it is that we are not really disguising it all that effectively. It's almost like we're a pitcher tipping his pitches and they know what to expect on any given down.

Could our DL stand for some improvement? Certainly, but I think there are other areas of deeper concern IMO, especially when we just drafted 2 DL relatively early this past year. I would probably go S, LB, DL in that order as our three biggest needs in the draft on defense.

Also, it's only two games so I'm not going to get overly concerned just yet. If this continues to be an achilles heel for the rest of the season, then I certainly will be very concerned. This is a young, talented group up front that obviously isn't playing their best football right now but I'm not ready to give up on guys so quick. Maybe that's just me, maybe I'm wrong and its a terrible tragedy.

Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165

Last edited by themaninblack : 09-17-2012 at 08:55 PM.