Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 09-18-2012, 12:29 PM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Blaine Gabbert is butthurt, literally

https://twitter.com/GeneFrenette/sta...58012377354241

Edit - Arian Foster also suffered a serious injury, to his feelings. The Texans running back actually ran over a frog in his driveway and, judging my his tweets, he is clearly emotionally distraught.

https://twitter.com/ArianFoster

Last edited by abaddon41_80 : 09-18-2012 at 01:11 PM.
abaddon41_80 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:18 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...eld-near-miss/

Aldon Smith was hospitalized after a car accident and required stitches in a cut above his eye.

This guy isn't doing so well off the field when it comes to getting hurt...
Old 09-23-2012, 07:03 PM    (permalink
Bucs147
Rookie

Bucs147 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs147 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs147 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs147 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs147 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs147 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs147 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs147 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs147 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs147 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs147 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bucs DE Adrian Clayborn had an ACL tear. Very likely heading to IR.
Bucs147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:05 PM    (permalink
BloodBrother
All-Pro

BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Rex Ryan confirms that CB Darrelle Revis has an ACL tear in his left knee that will require surgery. Out for season.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:12 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodBrother View Post
Rex Ryan confirms that CB Darrelle Revis has an ACL tear in his left knee that will require surgery. Out for season.
I badly wanted to see the Jets fail this year, but that isn't how I wanted to see it happen. I really hope he is able to bounce back from this because there isn't another corner out there who can do what Revis does.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:18 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We'll see how good of a defensive coach Ryan is now.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:58 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

And this is why i can never blame players for holding out. What a shame.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:12 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetSox17 View Post
And this is why i can never blame players for holding out. What a shame.
It's one thing if you're still making the league minimum on your rookie deal, but it's quite another if you're already making $10 million a season and you still out. You're just a dick at that point.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:16 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post
It's one thing if you're still making the league minimum on your rookie deal, but it's quite another if you're already making $10 million a season and you still out. You're just a dick at that point.
Who cares, GMs will be dicks to you the first second your production drops, even in the slightest, and ask you to take a paycut. I'm all for these guys squeezing every last dime out of their careers.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:19 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetSox17 View Post
Who cares, GMs will be dicks to you the first second your production drops, even in the slightest, and ask you to take a paycut. I'm all for these guys squeezing every last dime out of their careers.
There really isn't a better way to do it. I'd love to see more incentive based deals, but players and their agents dislike those for obvious reasons...

But holding out is just bad for all sides involved. Players who hold out tend to be less productive and more prone to injury when they return, ala Chris Johnson and Revis a few years ago. Especially if he's missing training camp. No matter what you do on your own, it simply can't match the intensity of what you'll get at camp.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:24 PM    (permalink
mqtirishfan
All-Pro

mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
If contracts were fully guaranteed when they were signed, I'd be right with you. But, if a team can cut you and get out of paying you millions upon millions of dollars they were supposed to pay you, and the market dictates that you're supposed to make a certain amount based on your value, I think holding out is somewhat acceptable.

I still think there is room for incentive based bonuses, but most contracts have provisions that allow teams to get out of way too much of a deal.

Also, I see absolutely no relevance in how much the player is already making. If you make $10 million, but the market dictates you deserve $20 million, how is that any less defensible than a guy who makes $2 million holding out because he deserves $12 million?

Last edited by mqtirishfan : 09-24-2012 at 02:28 PM.
mqtirishfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:28 PM    (permalink
katnip
Veteran

katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wonder if the Jets are looking to trade for a CB now. I know the Cowboys are supposed to be deep at CB/Mike Jenkins.

Sig by, Hitman D
katnip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:31 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

I guess I look at it as whether or not something is above the "money I'd be set for life with" level. If you have me $10 million right now, I could live a good life without ever working another day. That is, of course, if I was smart with it...which a large portion of NFL players definitely are not.

Anyway, fully guaranteed contracts should never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever happen in the NFL. The NBA is a ******* joke because of them. All accountability is taken away from the player because he gets that money no matter what once he signs his name.

It'd be nice if there were some sort of middle ground, but there isn't. From a fan perspective, holdouts are dumb. The player hurts himself and the team in the long run by doing one.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:33 PM    (permalink
katnip
Veteran

katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You know what they say. Money changes people.

Sig by, Hitman D
Old 09-24-2012, 02:36 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnip View Post
You know what they say. Money changes people.
I think you have to be pretty dumb to go into it to burn the $27 million or whatever it was that VY blew. And you hear about the people who win the lottery and are then bankrupt within a year...if you think about the intelligence level of the majority of people who play the lottery, it's not hard to see why. They don't call it a "tax on the stupid" for nothing.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:38 PM    (permalink
katnip
Veteran

Quote:
I think you have to be pretty dumb to go into it to burn the $27 million or whatever it was that VY blew. And you hear about the people who win the lottery and are then bankrupt within a year...if you think about the intelligence level of the majority of people who play the lottery, it's not hard to see why. They don't call it a "tax on the stupid" for nothing.
True.. I know someone who won $500 or so with a scratch ticket. But probably only made a hundred or so because of the amount of tickets

Sig by, Hitman D
Old 09-24-2012, 02:43 PM    (permalink
mqtirishfan
All-Pro

mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I guess I look at it as whether or not something is above the "money I'd be set for life with" level. If you have me $10 million right now, I could live a good life without ever working another day. That is, of course, if I was smart with it...which a large portion of NFL players definitely are not.
That's not necessarily an appropriate standard to set, though. In both holdout cases, we're likely talking about people being tremendously underpaid compared to what the market has determined they deserve. Also, in both cases, the player is making a very, very large amount of money for one year. It just seems absurd to condemn one player and not the other, because a frugal person would never have to work again in one case, but would in the other.

Quote:
Anyway, fully guaranteed contracts should never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever happen in the NFL. The NBA is a ******* joke because of them. All accountability is taken away from the player because he gets that money no matter what once he signs his name.

It'd be nice if there were some sort of middle ground, but there isn't. From a fan perspective, holdouts are dumb. The player hurts himself and the team in the long run by doing one.
It's the lack of a middle ground that makes these holdouts reasonable, though. While there might not be any individual accountability for players if their contracts are fully guaranteed, there is no accountability in the current system for teams if they sign a guy to a huge contract and he falls flat on his face.
mqtirishfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:52 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnip View Post
I wonder if the Jets are looking to trade for a CB now. I know the Cowboys are supposed to be deep at CB/Mike Jenkins.
Cowboys are in no position to be trading away a corner. especially not in todays pass happy league...especially the NFC East now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 03:12 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...staffords-mri/

Matt Stafford got an MRI on his injured leg, but there is no word on what the injury is or how long he might be out.
Old 09-24-2012, 03:14 PM    (permalink
Wootylicous
All-NFLDC

Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Time for Shaun Hill to shine. Finally!

#MoncriefArmy
Wootylicous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 03:26 PM    (permalink
ImBrotherCain
All-NFLDC

ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha Wootster View Post
Time for Shaun Hill to shine. Finally!
Top 20 QB right there!
Old 09-24-2012, 03:48 PM    (permalink
Docta
Veteran

Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Austin Collie out for the season with a ruptured patella tendon. Jesus Christ, that guy can't catch a break.
Old 09-24-2012, 03:51 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docta View Post
Austin Collie out for the season with a ruptured patella tendon. Jesus Christ, that guy can't catch a break.
Ouch. And that's a rough injury too. That's what ended Cadillac Williams' career I recall.
Old 09-24-2012, 04:14 PM    (permalink
General Zod
All-Pro

General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docta View Post
Long term health-wise, I think that guy might want to just call it a career. That sucks too, always kinda liked him.

http://www.change.org/petitions/trac...share_petition
General Zod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:15 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

McCluster had a disgusting injury. I'd be surprised if he played again this year.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote