Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 09-26-2012, 05:01 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Spot View Post
I've watched all three very closely in all of their teams' games so far, and JJ Watt is playing a whole level higher than Justin Smith and Haloti Ngata. Ngata especially looks kind of heavy and slow this year. Smith is his usualy grinder self, but Watt is just as workmanlike but makes even more big plays.

And of course, the Houston defense as a whole is better than either the 49ers or Ravens defense this year (especially the Ravens defense). That also make me lean toward Watt over Smith / Ngata.
You may be right in the long run but playing Miami, Jacksonville and Denver is probably a pretty small sample size to be predicting anything.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:43 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Watt is a beast. I don't think its unreasonable to say he's the best 3-4 DL in football right now.

In terms of DL in general, I think Ware, JPP, Ngata, Watt, Justin Smith round out the top 5.
Old 09-26-2012, 05:46 PM    (permalink
Complex
All-Pro

Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Calais Campbell is the best 3-4 lineman imo.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:23 PM    (permalink
Raiderz4Life
Icon

Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The best is undoubtedly....

Standing at 6 feet 4 inches
Weighing in at 350 pounds
of pure Muscle, Steel, and SEX APPEAL!!!

HALOTI NGATA!!!

Props to BK for the sig
"Dying ain't much of a living, boy" -Josey Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanHope View Post
R4L does security, and strips on the weekend.
He told me the best part is being able to wear the same uniform to both jobs.
Raiderz4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:34 PM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He is certainly up there, my elite tier for 3-4 DE would be Ngata, Campbell, Smith, & Watt

fenikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:21 PM    (permalink
Bengals78
All-Pro

Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Y'all can get in line to be in awe of JJ.
I was here first

bonekrusher
The Twitters
themaninblack
Bengals78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:42 PM    (permalink
Brown Leader
Pro Bowler

Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Off topic, but for those who've watched him so far this season, if Watt played in 43 defense would he start at DE or DT? Curious because he was my man crush last year and I debated he could fit in an even front just as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by borg9 View Post
Are you not entertained? Is this not why you are here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBess View Post
....ask Brandon Weeden.
Pre-Draft 2014 Mock *FULL DRAFT*
Brown Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:47 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think he could play all around but if he were in a 4-3 he'd probably have a Justin Tuck type role as a LE then move inside on passing downs. I know that Tuck comparison is used for a lot of players but it's the best I can do. I think he could play RE, but his best fit would be in that Tuck type role.
Don Vito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:48 PM    (permalink
Malaka
Thinking of Juan
Pro Bowler

Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You see this is the type of 3-4 DE you draft in the top 5... not Tyson Jackson... with or without the revisionist history what a bad pick by the Chiefs and what a great pick by the Texans by comparison.

I remember I thought for certain they were going Amukamara.

Bone Krusher, the best
Malaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:15 AM    (permalink
The Alex
Pro Bowler

The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Watt is a beast. I don't think its unreasonable to say he's the best 3-4 DL in football right now.

In terms of DL in general, I think Ware, JPP, Ngata, Watt, Justin Smith round out the top 5.
Isn't Ware a OLB in a 3-4?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
I heard that Sylvester Stallone wrote The Expendables with The Alex in mind. He had to keep it realistic though and split The Alex's abilities into multiple characters. Stallone thought that critics would pan it for being too far-fetched if he just had one character effing everyone up.
The end. Cut to black. Audience goes ****ing ape****.
The Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 02:17 AM    (permalink
SenorGato
Pro Bowler

SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just because his name isn't being brought up enough - Vince Wilfork is a monster and one of the few future HOFers on D in the league.
Old 09-27-2012, 02:23 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So is NT really THAT important of a position in a modern 3-4 D? Doesn't seem like there are many superstars at that position. Even Wilfork moves to DE now.

i done stole dis sig
killxswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 02:35 AM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

depends, if you had someone like the pile jumper at ILB then you would need a NT cus he would be even more worthless

fenikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:06 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Alex View Post
Isn't Ware a OLB in a 3-4?
3-4 OLBs are pass rushers to me. They spend 80% of their snaps rushing the passer. Many have their hand in the dirty a good 50% of the time.

So I lump them in with DLmen.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:51 PM    (permalink
Mufasa
Veteran

Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Leader View Post
Off topic, but for those who've watched him so far this season, if Watt played in 43 defense would he start at DE or DT? Curious because he was my man crush last year and I debated he could fit in an even front just as well.
I've said it before, but I still think his best fit, in any scheme, would be at left end in a 4-3. He's been ridiculously good where he's at though, so it doesn't really matter.

He's easily the DPOY through the first three weeks. 5.5 sacks from that position is better than most get in a full year. If he can get to double digits I don't see how you can give it to anyone else.
Mufasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:19 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlegom View Post
Watt has nine sacks and nine passes defensed in his last nine games. Not saying he's the best DL in football right now but the man is a BEAST.
Agree. So far, he's been the most impressive this year. Still a lot of football left, but Watt is definitely in the conversion. Probably the front-runner, from my perspective.
VAfy-ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:54 PM    (permalink
themaninblack
All-Pro

themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengals78 View Post
Y'all can get in line to be in awe of JJ.
I was here first
Give this man a gold star!

He's like a young Justin Smith except he's actually in a defense that suits his skillset. He basically won their playoff game against us last year with that pick six.

^A Bonekrusher production^
Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165
themaninblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:01 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This guy's life path history is pretty remarkable.
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:18 PM    (permalink
Cudders
Rookie

Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mufasa View Post
I've said it before, but I still think his best fit, in any scheme, would be at left end in a 4-3. He's been ridiculously good where he's at though, so it doesn't really matter.

He's easily the DPOY through the first three weeks. 5.5 sacks from that position is better than most get in a full year. If he can get to double digits I don't see how you can give it to anyone else.
Being a defensive end in Wadeís odd-front isnít a whole lot different than a base end in an even-front. He one-gaps, stunts, and slants more than most, so Watt is put in aggressive positions to rack up sacks. Ratliff tallied 7.5 sacks from the nose tackle spot under Phillips in Dallas. It isnít a traditional, two-gap 3-4. Those defensive linemen are asked to attack.

As for the topic, I donít know if Watt is the best defensive linemen right now, but heís a certified beast. And he will be the best in the future. He was so, so, so underrated during the draft process. A 6-5, 290 lbs. defensive end with a 1.64 split, 6.88 three-cone, 4.21 short shuttle, powerful hands, popping jump numbers, and relentless on film, too? He was a stud prospect. I donít know where the disconnect came from. Heís scheme-diverse and versatile. One-gap or two-gap in an odd-front, base or blindside in an even-front, and capable of kicking inside to generate an interior rush on passing downs. Heís a defensive weapon.

That said, Haloti Ngata is just balling out of his mind thus far, so I would go with him. Watt isnít too far behind though and his best football appears to be ahead of him.
Cudders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:05 PM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yes! Yes! Yes!

I fully believe that Watt is the best overall defensive lineman in football. He's at least 1b to Justin Smith's 1a. Watt's been the best pass rusher in football this year, as a 3-4 end. He's also an elite run defender. If you're just basing it on the first three games, it's not even debatable. His current play is likely unsustainable (he's been THAT much better than anyone else), but there's no reason to think he won't continue to play at an elite level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylon View Post
You may be right in the long run but playing Miami, Jacksonville and Denver is probably a pretty small sample size to be predicting anything.
I know they aren't the end-all, be-all but for what it's worth, PFF had J.J. Watt as a top 10 DL last year as well...
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:15 AM    (permalink
BufFan71
Pro Bowler

BufFan71 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BufFan71 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BufFan71 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BufFan71 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BufFan71 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BufFan71 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BufFan71 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BufFan71 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BufFan71 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BufFan71 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BufFan71 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

truthfully. i think Kyle Williams is the best DL in the nfl
Old 09-28-2012, 09:02 AM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BufFan71 View Post
truthfully. i think Kyle Williams is the best DL in the nfl
Love Kyle Williams, but that's a pretty big stretch, especially with studs like Watt, Smith, Campbell and Ngata. And Wilfork

And DL in total, there's still JPP, and hell, Jared Allen and Peppers perhaps
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:45 PM    (permalink
ruthlessrussian
Rookie

ruthlessrussian is a cocksman.ruthlessrussian is a cocksman.ruthlessrussian is a cocksman.ruthlessrussian is a cocksman.ruthlessrussian is a cocksman.

I was about to make this thread after seeing the highlights of todays game against the Titans. No surprise to see one already up ... Watt is absolutely dominating right now. How does a Dend in a 3-4 defense get the QB so much? As much as I like Ngata I would go with Watt. And he is only 23!?!!? I pray for Andrew Luck's well being..
Old 09-30-2012, 07:00 PM    (permalink
Pit Bull #53
Team Leader
All-Pro

Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He absolutely destroyed Leroy Harris on multiple plays today. Harris is pretty terrible, but honestly it wouldnt have mattered who was blocking him. Hes that good.
Pit Bull #53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:06 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote