Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-28-2012, 02:03 PM    (permalink
BigBanger
Veteran

BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Chris Johnson Epitomizes Everything I Hate About Pro Athletes

I was watching the Titans vs Lions game yesterday and felt compelled to start a topic about Chris Johnson. It was the first Titans game I have watched all season long. Of course, I was aware that CJ2K had 19 carries for 21 yards through the first two games of the season. No TDs. The biggest run he had, through two weeks, was a 7 yard run, which came against the Chargers. 1st game he played... against the Patriots. Certainly not bad run defenses by any stretch of the imagination, but not necessarily two teams that should, basically, shut out a RB of Chris Johnson's ability.

To preface the performance I'm about to talk about, I will say that I heard him make some comments to the media about his early struggles through the first two games. The great CJ2K said that he wasn't going to point any fingers, and then proceeded to blame the offensive line for his inability to gain more than 1 yard per rush. That type of comment did not surprise me. After all, it is Chris Johnson. Look at him. Seriously, google him and look at his picture. That type of remark is to be expected.

I assumed that his offensive line was playing poorly. But barely averaging 1 yard per carry, a stinking yard, through two entire games? I figured there was more to it than just a bad offensive line.

As the game went along I saw some absolutely terrible football. A lot of people thought this was a wildly great game. I did not. I thought both defenses were so bad it was almost hard to watch. The amount of blown coverages and pure ineptitude displayed was amateur. The Lions outdid themselves in the special teams department. I don't think I've ever seen a special teams performance that bad. It quickly dawned on me that the Lions are a terribly undisciplined football team with a piss poor coaching staff that is ready for upheaval. Everyone knows about the discipline via the personal fouls and the off field arrests, but simple things... like staying in your lane... very difficult task for a Lion to execute.

Regardless, the Lions front 7 played okay. For the most part. Their secondary might be the worst in Football. And John Wendling is probably the worst player in the NFL. He has been an absolute whipping boy. But, like I said, their front seven played fairly decent. Chris Johnson was held to 29 all purpose yards, 24 yards on the ground. He had 14 carries for 24 yards. An average of 1.7 yards per rush.

I tried to go into the game with the mindset that I would give Johnson the benefit of the doubt. I saw him last year and thought he quit, and that he had no desire to be on the football field whatsoever. I will be honest and say that I despised him for it. For sitting out, missing so much time and demanding a big contract, and then... just flat out not producing... That's inexcusable. It shouldn't happen. You got paid, act like it. Act like you deserved the money they gave you.

Well, what I saw against the Lions was more of the same. Was the offensive line good? No. Were they so terrible to the point that Chris Johnson couldn't average more than two yards a carry? Absolutely not. Johnson is going into the hole, tap dancing like crazy and playing WEAK. He is soft. He looks soft and he has been playing soft. There isn't a bit of decisiveness when he runs the ball. There isn't a bit of desire. He just looks like he doesn't care. And the guy is slow. He is ******* slow. Jake Locker took off scrambling on a play where he picked about 20+ yards, and the speed differential to what Locker showed compared to what Johnson showed? It was a remarkable difference. Locker made more defenders miss in the open field on that one single run than Johnson made miss during the entire game. And judging from the stats, probably the entire season.

I spoke earlier about the Lions being undisciplined. Well, that's how Chris Johnson runs. His longest run of the game, of the season for that matter, was a 13 yard run. It was designed to be a quick toss to the right. The second CJ got the pitch, he reversed field and ran to the weak side. Luckily, there wasn't a defender staying at home on the weak side to stop him. Johnson picked up 13 yards. But a great majority of Chris Johnson's run are like that. He didn't follow his FB in the hole one single time. Not once. Didn't care to. He tried to bounce it outside, and he ends up running backwards and losing 3 to 8 yards on every single play. And he keeps doing it. He keeps trying to run around everyone but he's running at half speed. He is literally on the field jogging... most of the time he is ******* jogging, and it's blatant. Completely obvious. The guy goes down on first contact, tries running around everyone, doesn't follow his blocks and then... blames his offensive linemen in the media.

It is clear to me that this the same case as Albert Haynesworth. 4 years ago, Haynesworth was the best defensive linemen in football. Maybe even the best defensive player in football. He was MVP caliber. He ended up banking a $100M dollar contact with Redskins. And then, he simply shut it down. It was over for him. He didn't care. He had no passion for the game. Just wanted some quick guaranteed money. Now, after four years separated from being one of the absolute best defensive players in football, Haynesworth is out of the NFL.

Chris Johnson is headed in the same direction. Just three years ago he set a single season record for all-purpose yards in a season. He rushed for 2,000 yards and was one of the most dangerous RBs in the game. I always gave the offensive line a little more credit than most people ever did, but there was no denying that Chris Johnson was an elite player in the game. The fastest player in the game. He was decisive, ran hard, broke tackles, ran through defenders, had great balance, good leg drive and simply played his ass off.

Now, he runs to the sideline when he's in open field and can't even make a Detroit Lion miss a tackle when he is in the open field. His lack of energy is disgusting. It really sickens me that he can play the way he did, and apparently the way he has been doing, and, seemingly, get away with it. And I don't mean by the media or the fans or whatever, but the ownership, the coaches, the players in that locker room... I don't know how they stand for it, and I don't how he hasn't been benched yet or cut.

To me, Chris Johnson is the worst stating RB in football. And he will wear out his welcome in Tennessee soon enough, which I think he is intentionally trying to do. I think now that he got his guaranteed money, he's ready to go to another team with a better offensive line and try to make even more money there. Unless he turns his act around, I don't think Chris Johnson runs for 500 yards in a season ever again. He is that bad. And it's only because he just doesn't give a ****.

I never really cared for him to begin with, but I at least respected his talents and his ability. I always thought he was little overrated, especially when people said he was the best RB in the NFL (Adrian Peterson has been the best since he stepped foot into the NFL, because he runs like he cares about competing). But now, there isn't a player in the league that I hate more than him. I can't stand him and the way he goes about his business.

I know this was overly long, and I don't expect everyone, or anyone, to read it, but I had to vent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PossibleCabbage View Post
I would like it if there were more successful black Quarterbacks in the NFL...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
iamcandian lives in a cabin in the Yukon Territory and writes letters to railroad barons about the price of hard tack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorsBullsFan View Post
I could possibly see Matthew Stafford Dropping out of the 1st round
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRavens View Post
Tahj Boyd has the best fundamentals of any QB in this class, I think his game translates great to the NFL.

Last edited by BigBanger : 09-28-2012 at 02:14 PM.
BigBanger is offline   Reply With Quote