Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 09-30-2012, 10:22 AM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Bucfan12's Top QBs broken down by tiers:

Ranking all 32 Starting QBs and potential young guns in this league broken down by categories/tiers. Criticisim is highly expected and accepted :D

Top Shelf QBs:
- Aaron Rodgers GB
- Tom Brady NE

The ELITE:
-Drew Brees NO
-Eli Manning NYG
-Ben Roethlisbuerger PIT
-Peyton Manning DEN (In the Decline Stage)
-Tony Romo DAL
-Phillip Rivers SD

- Peyton Manning seems like the only one that's heading for a decline and is no longer top shelf. Eli Manning could take that next step to TOP SHELF QBs at the end of this year. Pushing that next level. I'll probably get some flack for having Romo hear, but the guy is ELITE. Just look at what he's done in BIG D. Remember, Peyton Manning, it took him 10 years to win a Super Bowl.

Knocking at the Door to the ELITE Level:
-Matt Ryan ATL
-Joe Flacco BAL

-Matthew Stafford DET

This is where I see it now, but more than likely, a 99% chance both Ryan and Flacco move into that Elite Category. Stafford can go either way to ELITE or drop into 2nd Tier.

2nd Tier:

-Jay Cutler CHI
-Matt Shaub HOU

Cutler seems to always be stuck in this category. Shaub needs to stay healthy. He could have made the jump if he performed in the playoffs last year.

Middle of the Pack:
-Alex Smith SF
-Michael Vick PHI
-Ryan Fitzpatrick BUF

Alex Smith seems like the best of the Bunch. Fitzpatrick is erratic but I put him in this category because he's average/above average QB. Vick might find himself in a new category after the season.

Jekyll and Hyde: Biggest Mysteries:
-Mark Sanchez NYJ
-Josh Freeman TB
-Sam Bradford STL
-Kevin Kolb ARZ

These guys are ones that get your hopes high than crush them with inconsistant performances. Bradford is in his 3rd year so I no longer consider him a young gun. Freeman is in a make or break season, same with Sanchez. Kolb is off to a good start, but history of inconsistancy is on his side. Basically, 3 of these guys could be in the next category. Bradford probably gets a 4th year.

The Replaceables:
-Carson Palmer OAK
-Matt Cassel KC

These QBs teams seem like they're heading in a different direction at the QB position moving forward.

The Young Guns:
-Andrew Luck IND
-Andy Dalton CIN
-Christian Pondner MIN
-Robert Griffin III WAS
-Cam Newton CAR
-Jake Locker TEN
-Blaine Gabbert JAC
-Russel Wilson SEA
-Brandon Weeden CLE
-Ryan Tanehill MIA

These guys, I really cannot rank them just yet, outside of this category. 1 year or less is not a good judgement (see Josh Freeman for example in 2010 LOLS). A lot of these guys have potential to hit ELITE, 2nd Tier, and Middle of the pack. In my opinion, Andrew Luck seems like the guy with the TOP SHELF potential.
Also, note that this category has nothing to do with them being better or worse than the others. It's just no enough film to place them.

Back ups with high potential:
-Ryan Mallett NE
-Matt Flynn SEA

Anxious to see how Mallett performs when he gets on the field. I had him as my #1 QB prospect in 2011. Flynn should get a shot elsewhere in 2013.

Have at it folks.

Last edited by bucfan12 : 09-30-2012 at 10:25 AM.
bucfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:29 AM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Overall I agree with which players you included in each tier, but it's criminal to rank Jay Cutler ahead of Michael Vick.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:31 AM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Jones View Post
Overall I agree with which players you included in each tier, but it's criminal to rank Jay Cutler ahead of Michael Vick.
Cutler has more upside and zero pass protection. Vick's ranking is generous so far. He's up there in age and his athletic ability was key to his performances back in the past. It's on the decline and he's yet to show he's a good pocket passer.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:33 AM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I may just be going crazy, but it looks as though you have Tony Romo in the 'Elite' category.

RIP themaninblack
SuperPacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:35 AM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucfan12 View Post
Cutler has more upside and zero pass protection. Vick's ranking is generous so far. He's up there in age and his athletic ability was key to his performances back in the past. It's on the decline and he's yet to show he's a good pocket passer.
Does Cutler really have much upside at this point? He's already been in the NFL for seven years and has played well in just two seasons. This year, his quarterback rating is in the 50s. It's not like Philadelphia's offensive line is exactly All-Pro-caliber, Evan Mathis is the only good player there.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:36 AM    (permalink
Bulldogs
All-Pro

Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think you could make an argument that Ryan belongs over a couple of those guys in the "elite" category but where you have him right now makes sense. I've been saying for a year now that he's a top ten guy.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:38 AM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogs View Post
I think you could make an argument that Ryan belongs over a couple of those guys in the "elite" category but where you have him right now makes sense. I've been saying for a year now that he's a top ten guy.
Like I said, it's all about the entire body of work from there rookie years til now. Him and Flacco probably and most likely make that jump towards seasons end when I re-evaluate.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:40 AM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Does Cutler really have much upside at this point? He's already been in the NFL for seven years and has played well in just two seasons. This year, his quarterback rating is in the 50s. It's not like Philadelphia's offensive line is exactly All-Pro-caliber, Evan Mathis is the only good player there.
Jay Cutler doesn't even have a below average line. He's played well with the worst in the NFL for the past 3 years now. And he took his team to an NFC TITLE GAME. With no Weapons and O-Line. Please stop. Vick has like what 12 TOs in 3 games?
Old 09-30-2012, 10:40 AM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Like I said, it's all about the entire body of work from there rookie years til now. Him and Flacco probably and most likely make that jump towards seasons end when I re-evaluate.
Based upon how he's played so far this year, Ryan definitely looks like he has taken the jump.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:41 AM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabsoule View Post
Based upon how he's played so far this year, Ryan definitely looks like he has taken the jump.
3 games in is way too early. But I do 100% agree. He keeps it up then its no question.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:43 AM    (permalink
Bulldogs
All-Pro

Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
3 games in is way too early. But I do 100% agree. He keeps it up then its no question.
I agree. It's highly unlikely he keeps up at his 114 QB rating pace, but I could see him ending up with one that is 100+, and around 4500 yards and 30-35 TD.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:45 AM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Please explain. Other than half a season before the league remembered how to deal with him, Vick has been a significantly inferior QB to Jay Cutler.

BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:51 AM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

For some reason, I keep forgetting that the boards can see no wrong in Jay Cutler, the man with the 58.6 passer rating. He is quite possibly the least accountable NFL player on the entire board.
Old 09-30-2012, 12:00 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
For some reason, I keep forgetting that the boards can see no wrong in Jay Cutler, the man with the 58.6 passer rating. He is quite possibly the least accountable NFL player on the entire board.
Right, because after 3 games Vick's 8 TOs are so impressive?

BK

Quote:
Quote:
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Old 09-30-2012, 12:05 PM    (permalink
Pat Sims 90
All-Pro

Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think Brandon Weeden counts as a Young Gun.

RIP themaninblack
Pat Sims 90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:10 PM    (permalink
Raiderz4Life
All-NFLDC

Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
O yeah...because Vick has been setting the world on fire right?

I actually think Stafford is ranked too hight. If anything he should be in the same tier with Cutler and Vick...dude is overrated and as inconsistent as they come.

Props to BK for the sig
"Impulsive thinker, compulsive drinker, addict, half animal half man"
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
that's because we're the only animal capable of getting it from other animals. the day a goat can milk cows, it will.
Raiderz4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:30 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Not that I agree with the vick part, but the bolded part is way to true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 01:36 PM    (permalink
Complex
All-Pro

Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Jay Cutler doesn't even have a below average line. He's played well with the worst in the NFL for the past 3 years now. And he took his team to an NFC TITLE GAME. With no Weapons and O-Line. Please stop. Vick has like what 12 TOs in 3 games?
He beat a 7-9 or 8-8 seahawks team and then looked like **** against GB. That is the only team Cutler has led to the playoffs at least Vick has led multiple. Jay Cutler has 6 TO's in 3 games, I don't why you bring that up.

Jay Cutler is going to be like 35 years old and people on this board specically on this board are still going to be like this is the year Cutler gets it.
Old 09-30-2012, 03:07 PM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Complex View Post
He beat a 7-9 or 8-8 seahawks team and then looked like **** against GB. That is the only team Cutler has led to the playoffs at least Vick has led multiple. Jay Cutler has 6 TO's in 3 games, I don't why you bring that up.

Jay Cutler is going to be like 35 years old and people on this board specically on this board are still going to be like this is the year Cutler gets it.
I believe he's 27 yrs old. He also led the bears to the 2nd seed so that doesn't mean anything? Oh and those Seahawks 7-9 beat the saints in the first round.

He has no pass protection basically having to throw off his back foot and gets sacked like 4x a game.
Old 09-30-2012, 03:23 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Quote:
I believe he's 27 yrs old. He also led the bears to the 2nd seed so that doesn't mean anything? Oh and those Seahawks 7-9 beat the saints in the first round.

He has no pass protection basically having to throw off his back foot and gets sacked like 4x a game.
Seriously. I'm a giants fan, our OL is terrible, but I still feel bad for what Jay Cutler has to work with. In Denver it was a historically terrible defense, with the Bears it's been a genuinely embarassing OL and he's still been pretty damn successful.

BK

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 09-30-2012, 04:01 PM    (permalink
ph90702
Veteran

ph90702 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ph90702 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ph90702 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ph90702 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ph90702 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ph90702 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ph90702 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ph90702 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ph90702 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ph90702 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ph90702 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Last time I checked, the top 25% isn't elite.
ph90702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:12 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Matt Cassel deserves his own category called "absolute worst to ever lace up his cleats."

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:47 PM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

Atleast the bucs have a fg kicker
Old 09-30-2012, 04:58 PM    (permalink
SolidGold
Pro Bowler

SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post
Matt Cassel deserves his own category called "absolute worst to ever lace up his cleats."
Actually that is a two player category - Josh Freeman belongs in to too!!!!
SolidGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:07 PM    (permalink
ChiFan24
2011 SWDC Mock Draft Champ
Pro Bowler

ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This is fair, but I'd push those 3 "knocking on the door" guys into the 2nd tier. I think Ryan and Stafford's stats are ridiculously inflated, and I don't see how Flacco will ever be more than what Cutler is right now.

As for Cutler, he's kind of a rhythm passer. When he's hot, he's unbelievable. From week 5 to week 11 last year, he was one of the best in the league. When he's not in a rhythm, he can look bad. Unfortunately, that's where we are right now. And with the offense he has around him, his streakiness is magnified. He seems to get frustrated and his footwork/accuracy/decision making breaks down. So, I can't necessarily defend him as an elite QB, because that shouldn't happen to elite QBs. But when he's on, he plays like an elite QB. He'll win you games by himself in tough situations that a guy like Matt Ryan would not. And he's on more often than not.....he's certainly better than a clearly washed up Michael Vick.

And yeah, the people that point to the 2010 season as a negative are dumb. The playoff win WAS against a 8-9 team (that BTW beat the Saints the previous week), but the fact that he had that team at 12-5 in the NFCCG was extremely impressive.