Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Closed Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 04:35 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfy-ya View Post
It hit Manningham's hand(not plural). And he had to leap to get that one hand on it barely. Yes, timing is part of it but a open WR streaking down the sidelines shouldn't require a after practice throwing session. Most starting NFL QBs should make that throw, 9 times out of 10. I'm not putting it all of it on Alex. I'm not happy with the play-calling to some extent too. But those 3 throws are ones I expect Alex to make. He didn't make them.
So, in your opinion, Manningham, slowing to hand-fight Kyle Wilson and taking a stride inside, didn't interrupt the timing? It was still a poor pass?

I agree it'd be nice to hit some long ones, but the degree of difficulty is high. The elite miss by inches on those balls regularly. Two differences. 1. Alex is not yet elite and 2. the 49ers don't throw nearly as many as most elite QB teams do.
Old 09-30-2012, 04:43 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
So, in your opinion, Manningham, slowing to hand-fight Kyle Wilson and taking a stride inside, didn't interrupt the timing? It was still a poor pass?

I agree it'd be nice to hit some long ones, but the degree of difficulty is high. The elite miss by inches on those balls regularly. Two differences. 1. Alex is not yet elite and 2. the 49ers don't throw nearly as many as most elite QB teams do.
All I'm saying is call a spade a spade. Alex touch and accuracy still leaves a lot to be desired and is something he is STILL struggling with. That's the only point I'm trying to convey really.

And the hand-fighting didn't stop MM's momentum. He was still running, in stride and had both hands free to make a play on the ball IF the ball is put where he could make a play on it.
Old 09-30-2012, 04:53 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Smith should have had a couple of touchdowns today in those throws. Or at least long gains. Hopefully it was either a day where he just didn't have good touch on those long throws and/or he isn't familiar with his other targets. He hasn't thrown the ball deep enough to everywhere else to make a definitive judgment I think.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Old 09-30-2012, 04:54 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Offensive line was dominant in the run game. Oh, and Frank is just damn awesome. I love that guy so much. Great 49er.

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Old 09-30-2012, 04:56 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I built up enough courage to look at our 3rd down percentage from today.

4/12. 33%. Oy. That's not good. The offense needs to do better on third downs. Still a weak area.

It would be great if we could flirt around 40% for the season.

Quote:
Old 09-30-2012, 05:06 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm just kind of smirking at this thought...

Alex Smith has a weak arm.

Alex Smith always overthrows the deep ball.

I remember Ben Roethlisberger saying how great it was to have Mike Wallace and Antonio Brown because it was nearly impossible to overthrow them.

For having such a weak arm on deep throws, Alex seems to have no problem.

There's more to it than just Smith's accuracy. Does he deserve blame? Yes, absolutely, but there is blame to go around.
Old 09-30-2012, 05:10 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Alex Smith topic change attempt #3:

Patrick Willis missed a tackle today. Obviously, he sucks now.

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:19 PM    (permalink
farfromforgotten
Veteran

farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Alex Smith topic change attempt #3:

Patrick Willis missed a tackle today. Obviously, he sucks now.
lol. Call me old school but all I care about is wins and losses. I didn't get to see the game today, but when I got home and saw we won 34-0 on the road, on the East Coast, at another NFL teams home field... well, I was all smiles.

Drew Brees is a great QB. The Saints are 0-4. Aaron Rodgers is a great QB. The Packers are 2-2. Alex Smith is our QB and we're 3-1. Would I take either of those guys over Alex as our starting QB? Absolutely. Do I think either of those guys would put up the same type of numbers in our offense that they do now in their respective offenses? Absolutely not. Is my asking and answering my own questions annoying? Probably.

I know, I know, I know. We have a great defense and special teams and those guys don't, but whatever... All I care about is wins. Have I mentioned that? And since Harbaugh has been here, and it hasn't always been pretty, but this team usually finds a way to win. 16-4 in 20 regular season games? Yes, please. I'm confident that this team can beat any team in the league on any given Sunday. It might always be by Alex "managing" the game, or whatever you want to call it, and playing stellar D and special teams. Occasionally it might be by Alex going all BA and ripping a team like the Saints in the playoffs last year. (lol) I believe that this team will find a way to win games. It's a good feeling for me, anyways...

Who's next? I'm ready for next week already!
Old 09-30-2012, 11:28 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Only three points off those turnovers for the offense. Got to do better.

Quote:
Old 10-01-2012, 12:28 AM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by farfromforgotten View Post
lol. Call me old school but all I care about is wins and losses. I didn't get to see the game today, but when I got home and saw we won 34-0 on the road, on the East Coast, at another NFL teams home field... well, I was all smiles.

Drew Brees is a great QB. The Saints are 0-4. Aaron Rodgers is a great QB. The Packers are 2-2. Alex Smith is our QB and we're 3-1. Would I take either of those guys over Alex as our starting QB? Absolutely. Do I think either of those guys would put up the same type of numbers in our offense that they do now in their respective offenses? Absolutely not. Is my asking and answering my own questions annoying? Probably.

I know, I know, I know. We have a great defense and special teams and those guys don't, but whatever... All I care about is wins. Have I mentioned that? And since Harbaugh has been here, and it hasn't always been pretty, but this team usually finds a way to win. 16-4 in 20 regular season games? Yes, please. I'm confident that this team can beat any team in the league on any given Sunday. It might always be by Alex "managing" the game, or whatever you want to call it, and playing stellar D and special teams. Occasionally it might be by Alex going all BA and ripping a team like the Saints in the playoffs last year. (lol) I believe that this team will find a way to win games. It's a good feeling for me, anyways...

Who's next? I'm ready for next week already!
Believe me, I only care about wins. We won today and Im grateful. But I'm a 'big picture' kind of guy. Our division is the toughest in football this year. Points and plays will be hard to come by versus defenses like the 'Hawks and Cards. If were gearing up to make a post-season run, we'll have to face Philly's pass-rush and a have to keep up pace with the weapons the Falcons posses on the outside. So yes, we won today and I'm grateful. But I'm not naive enough to think we still don't have problems offensively we need to work on and improve if we ever ntend on getting further than we did last year. We won't run for over 250 yards every week and have the defense to bail us out with 4 turnovers. So yeah, it concerns me when I see us to start to regress offensively and we still can't seem to covert 3rd downs at a respectable clip. That we are still having red-zone issues. That my QB is still exhibiting accuracy issues on his touch throws. Doesn't mean I think the sky is falling. But yea, it concerns me that we've invested time, money, and players to these issues and yet they are still present. It's much too early to panic but its nothing wrong with dialogue and critique, even with a "W".

Our passing game needs to be better going forward. I think any fan of The Faithful could agree to that much. It's not merely a QB issue but the QB was mostly the culprit today, from my perspective. When we played the Lions, it was the WRs dropping a ton of catchable passes that was the problem. Next week, it may be the O-Line. My point is, its always something......and that needs to change rather quickly. You don't get many opportunities with a team this stacked on both sides of the ball. There needs to be a bit more sense of urgency in Jimbaugh and the players to get the passing game on track. Not saying that they aren't working at it but with a whole off-season, another full training camp and with most of the key players in their second year of the scheme, I expected we'd be further along than what we have shown thus far.

Last edited by VAfy-ya : 10-01-2012 at 12:24 PM.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:32 AM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Smith needs to have that dominant game against a good team where he takes control of the offense and has essentially a Hall of Fame type of performance. I'm not sure if Harbaugh's offense will ever let him have that chance though. Either that or the coaching staff just doesn't have confidence to let Smith dictate the game. I will say that it seemed like that is what they tried to do last week early against the Vikings, but it never developed.

Quote:
Old 10-01-2012, 06:07 AM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Look at it like this, only four of the quarterbacks in the top 16 in passing yards this year have a winning record. Only five of the top 20 in pass attempts have a winning record.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:25 AM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Look at it like this, only four of the quarterbacks in the top 16 in passing yards this year have a winning record. Only five of the top 20 in pass attempts have a winning record.
Eh. It's a team sport. Doesn't Vince Young still have a winning record as a starter?

The 49ers are winning because of their stellar defense and run game for the most part. You put Drew Brees on this team and it's scary good. You put Smith on the current Saints team and it's worse than it already is. This would be the perfect situation for a lot of quarterbacks. Alex doesn't really have to carry the team to win. It is what it is. I don't know how long the 49ers can keep this up year after year in this day and age where the majority of the teams in the playoffs every season revolve around good quarterback play. That's the only issue. A sputtering passing attack is a really bad omen to have. Really though, the entire passing offense needs to get it's act together. It's kind of annoying having to cringe every time the ball is thrown.

Quote:

Last edited by Ness : 10-01-2012 at 06:32 AM.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:46 AM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't even think the passing offense was that bad yesterday. It was bad against the Vikings but yesterday it seemed like they were just incredibly lackadaisical, like they did most of last season. Smith has proven that he can pass when we really need him to repeatedly since last season; Eagles, Bengals, first game against the Giants, Saints and I could name more instances; and has rarely lost us a game when it was on his shoulders.

Last edited by abaddon41_80 : 10-01-2012 at 07:23 AM.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:39 AM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Thats not the point right now. If you think we can continue to have our starting QB throw for 143 yards and win games going away your crazy. Im not saying trade Alex for a QB in the top 4 in passing. I'm saying we need to fix what's obviously broke.

Last edited by VAfy-ya : 10-01-2012 at 08:46 AM.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:53 AM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

We can't win most games with Alex throwing for 143 yards but we could win yesterday's game 10/10 times with a QB throwing for 143 yards. We are 3-1 right now, 16-4 in the regular season dating back to last year and 19-5 in games Alex Smith has played >half dating back to 2010 after the Eagles debacle. The passing only when we need to is working. And when we have needed to pass we have done so pretty well for the most part.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:46 AM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

for all the big picture guys.. Number 11 is buying time for number 7. If hes doing it while winning, double win!!

Old 10-01-2012, 12:08 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The passing game is non-existent. What makes this even worse than it already is, is the fact that we added a lot more weapons in the passing game in addition to who we already have. Quite honestly, its pathetic.

The play-calling needs to improve and be more aggressive. And I dont know about others but im sick of seeing that power run crap with two DT's or whatever because the defense already knows what's coming. Us going for that TD on 4th and goal with that power run would have pissed me off if we didnt score a TD but majority of the time, that doesnt work. In short, this "cute" crap needs to go.

I want to see more screens, inside slants (they work almost every time in every game with every team) and more shots downfield. The pass from Kaepernick to Moss was there but it was a combination of Moss trying to one arm it and the defender's arm knocking it out of his grasp. Even if that gets picked, I wouldnt have minded because at least the offense is taking more shots downfield.

Forget last season. Its done and over with. Everyone can blame Kyle Williams for the loss in the NFCCG but I dont. I blame the crappy play-calling, that bullcrap call when Bradshaw fumbled and the fact that we had no passing offense whatsoever. If we had a legitimate passing attack, we would have blown out the Giants.

This is why the passing attack MUST become a threat because if it doesnt, we're not matching let alone surpassing what we did last year. Look at the Falcons, Texans, etc....their passing offense are threats and when we play teams with a balanced attack (unlike the Jets, Packers or Lions), we wont be able to match those teams unless we get turnovers and score TD's (not FG's) because we dont have the passing offense to match those other teams.

The passing game needs to become a legitimate threat in order for this team to be considered SB contenders. I personally dont consider this team to be that yet and I dont care about last season. The passing attack isnt even half as good as what it was with Garcia/Owens despite us having more weapons on offense.

As for Smith and his accuracy problems on deep passes, how will he ever improve his accuracy if Harbaugh never allows him to throw deep to begin with? If you're only throwing short and medium passes, you just wont be used to passing deep and thus, your touch and accuracy wont be there. Have to take more shots downfield and at least give Smith the chance to throw downfield.

Overall, very happy we shutout the Jets but at the same time, we were playing a team with an offense thats worse than ours. And would have liked Kaepernick to score at the end. I hate that "not running up the score crap", you have a chance to score, you score. Only time doing that is good is when the game is close and you want to win the game as time expires, etc. Otherwise, I run that score in and get another offensive TD on the board and get to 41 points. The one thing that still exists is that we keep teams within striking distance which I hate because eventually, its going to bite the team in the ass. We need more of a killer instinct. You have a team down, put their ass awa instead of just trying to "hold on" with a 10-0 lead. Honestly, I hate that and frustrates me to no end.

Hopefully, we'll beat the Bills and go into the Giants game 4-1. After the Bills, we have some very tough and important games including two divisional games. We need to get our offense on track for those three games before the bye week. BUF gave up 52 points including 45 (I think) in the second half. We need to score points, points and more points. And by more points, I mean TD's, not FG's.

I'm not trying to be negative here but our team is the same as last year. Good defense/running game/special teams but no passing attack and at times, crappy or predictable play-calling. Those areas need to be solved sooner rather than later.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:13 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

As for Kaepernick, im actually looking forward to when he becomes our franchise QB. However, he needs he be a passer first and foremost with his running ability used if/when needed. If he can improve in his passing to where defenses MUST respect his dual threat ability, then, we'll have an awesome passing game.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:17 PM    (permalink
binary
Veteran

binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Thats not the point right now. If you think we can continue to have our starting QB throw for 143 yards and win games .
Dude it was one game. Alex played great in the first two games, against really good teams. For some reason he's played worse against these two mediocre teams (although the Vikes might not be bad).
Old 10-01-2012, 12:21 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

CK did the smart thing. Why risk guys running downfield on another kick-off, blowing out a knee or tearing a ACL trying to make a ST tackle? Having a key reserve tear his triceps having to defend three meaningless offensive plays in garbage time? Injuries in this league are one fluke play away from happening, just ask Santonio Holmes. Smartest play I've seen from a young QB in quite some time. Who cares about hanging 41 on the Jets? The game was over. Nothing to gain there by running it in. Kid sacrificed a two TD run perforamnce. I was throughly impressed by his smarts and 'big picture' thought-process there.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:39 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binary View Post
Dude it was one game. Alex played great in the first two games, against really good teams. For some reason he's played worse against these two mediocre teams (although the Vikes might not be bad).
Wouldn't be surprised if the Vikings and Jets have better secondaries than the Packers and injury decimated Lions.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:12 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Quote:
CK did the smart thing. Why risk guys running downfield on another kick-off, blowing out a knee or tearing a ACL trying to make a ST tackle? Having a key reserve tear his triceps having to defend three meaningless offensive plays in garbage time? Injuries in this league are one fluke play away from happening, just ask Santonio Holmes. Smartest play I've seen from a young QB in quite some time. Who cares about hanging 41 on the Jets? The game was over. Nothing to gain there by running it in. Kid sacrificed a two TD run perforamnce. I was throughly impressed by his smarts and 'big picture' thought-process there.
And CK could have gotten injured just by running and sliding. With injuries, you never know when they will happen. The Jets probably would have kneeled down anyway in defeat. Personally, I would have liked to see CK score. Rather see that killer instinct and bury the team (which for us is rare) instead of just taking knees. You can look at it both ways but I prefer to score. I'm Belichick that way. :p
Old 10-01-2012, 03:41 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733 View Post

The play-calling needs to improve and be more aggressive. And I dont know about others but im sick of seeing that power run crap
Then Harbaugh has to go. He has always been a conservative, power-running disciple of Bo Schembechler.

Execution needs to improve. But the emphasis on the pass game simply will NOT change under Harbaugh.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:43 PM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

Thought you guys might find this interesting,

http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/l...rank=098&year=

Third down conversions/passes on third down,

Alex Smith - 35.7%
Eli Manning - 34.2%
Can Newton - 36%
Tom Brady - 38.2%
Joe Flacco - 35.3%

*Blames 49ers third down problems on Alex Smith*

49ers are also bottom 10, 24th, in YAC, and tied for second in the league with 10 dropped passes. Give the 49ers the median YAC (360) and dropped passes (5) and Alex Smith's adjusted numbers would be,

81/113 (72%)
~900 yards
8.0 Y/A
5 TD
1 INT
106 QB rating

Last edited by abaddon41_80 : 10-01-2012 at 03:56 PM.
Closed Thread