Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Kansas City Chiefs Team Forum

Kansas City Chiefs Team Forum Discuss the Chiefs

Old 09-09-2012, 07:12 PM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default 2013 Draft Discussion Thread

I will be stickying this, or vidae please sticky this.

1. Quarterback

The Chiefs have the opportunity to draft one of 4 franchise, or could be franchise, quarterbacks in the 2013 Draft. Tyler Wilson, Matt Barkley, Geno Smith, or Logan Thomas. I think Logan should stay. Landry Jones, Casey Pachall and Zach Metterberger are guys who could be seen as first rounders but Jones will be a 4th and the others not ready yet?

Please add to this amazing thread
<+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermstheman83 View Post
What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.

Last edited by bored of education : 10-01-2012 at 11:08 PM.
bored of education is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:20 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If we get one of those four guys I'll be happy. I love Geno, I love Tyler Wilson, and Matt Barkley is starting to grow on me. I don't know much about Logan Thomas, but I'll be watching a ton of VT games this year because of him.

I just want one of those guys.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:34 PM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I applaud Matt Cassel's effort in the first half vs. the Faclon but he is going in to his final year and is due around 9 million in 2013 so this is his last year. It is his last year unless he can win a playoff game or two with 11 wins. If he has a year like that then you have the extend him which he has done nothing to warrant.

The quarterback class will have at least 4 guys in the first round.

Cardinals, Bills and Raiders, right now, are teams that could also use a 1st round Qb so this is that year right?

Other issues? Secondary depth and ILB. 5 tech as well with Dorsey being an FA and T jax due 14.75 mil next year (he needs to restructure)
Quote:
What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.
Old 09-09-2012, 07:52 PM    (permalink
TonyGfortheTD
Veteran

TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

1. Free Safety

I like Kendrick Lewis and think he's a good player when he's healthy. The problem is he's already banged up a lot and I just don't think he's going to hold up for long in the NFL. I added Mark Barron into the discussion right before the draft for this reason.

2. CB

The depth sucks and even if Routt does well here, he's not going to be in the long term plans.

3. Thumper ILB

Belcher is solid, but the Chiefs need someone in the box that can play with more intensity and not a liability in coverage.

4. DE

I haven't been thrilled with the play from the ends so far this year.

QB is obviously the top need, but I didn't list it because it's obvious and already been well covered.
Old 09-09-2012, 07:59 PM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

Secondary has to be addressed. I will be posting up some info on some of my favorites this season. A big thumping ILB would be nice, I will keep you guys posted as much as a can on those guys too.
Quote:
Old 09-10-2012, 02:38 PM    (permalink
villagewarrior
Pro Bowler

villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quarterback, there's a lot to like with the class this year.

Pass Defense: whether that be a DB or a pass rusher (or both) the Chiefs pass defense was exposed against Atlanta. They have not been able to develop a counterpart to Tamba and their secondary is oft injured at several spots and question marks at the others.
villagewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:58 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's tough because when this team is healthy, there aren't a lot of holes.

Lewis is always hurt, so a safety would be great.
I like what they have at corner when every one is healthy, but a high end CB early in the draft would be add a lot to the roster.
Studebaker needs replaced as the third OLB.

QB depends on Cassel. If he plays like he did for most of that game rather than the two bad drives he had late, I don't see how you upgrade over that.

Last edited by nepg : 09-13-2012 at 11:03 AM.
nepg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:39 AM    (permalink
TheMatriculator
Veteran

TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyGfortheTD View Post
1. Free Safety

I like Kendrick Lewis and think he's a good player when he's healthy. The problem is he's already banged up a lot and I just don't think he's going to hold up for long in the NFL. I added Mark Barron into the discussion right before the draft for this reason.

2. CB

The depth sucks and even if Routt does well here, he's not going to be in the long term plans.

3. Thumper ILB

Belcher is solid, but the Chiefs need someone in the box that can play with more intensity and not a liability in coverage.

4. DE

I haven't been thrilled with the play from the ends so far this year.

QB is obviously the top need, but I didn't list it because it's obvious and already been well covered.
Agreed!

Of course, while QB is obvious to you and obvious to me, it doesn't seem to be obvious to you know who.
TheMatriculator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:33 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd love it if Pioli actually hit on a CB. It doesn't seem likely to happen though, given his track record.

Old 09-13-2012, 12:48 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Asante Samuel, Ellis Hobbs, Randall ***...terrible track record? Then with Sanders, Wilson, and Lewis at safety... Pioli does well there. Just has had terrible luck with injuries.

And I like Arenas for what he is and Brown has developed well. Brown would have looked better filling in for Routt than Flowers, obviously.

And only Samuel was super awesome, but they don't need super awesome because they have Flowers and Routt. Which is pretty close to Law and Poole when Samuel was drafted.

Last edited by nepg : 09-13-2012 at 01:03 PM.
nepg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:08 PM    (permalink
KCStud
Rookie

KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Tyler Bray if he comes out. He's a fantastic QB who would only be 21 when he comes out. He will have 3 years experience after this year and he's gotten significantly better with each one.

JUST DRAFT A QB DAMNIT!!!
KCStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 02:42 PM    (permalink
villagewarrior
Pro Bowler

villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Pioli's DB magic stayed in New England. The jury is still or back out on Berry and Lewis is injury prone. Jalil Brown was terrible at Colorado and hasn't looked good in KC. Javier Arenas (who I loved coming out of Bama) hasn't improved in coverage and his decision making returning kicks was terrible in week one. And then Menzie is on IR, doesn't bode well for his chances.

Hopefully Berry can return to his rookie form otherwise Pioli will be shooting an ohfer with DBs.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:45 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

I don't think the jury is out on Berry. We know what he is, a difference maker. The rest I agree with.

Old 09-13-2012, 08:35 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

I don't know that anyone, including Pioli, expected Arenas to be more than he is. He's a decent slot corner who is just a smart player. He'll make the fundamental play, but won't make the spectacular play. That's what I expected from him out of the draft and that's what we get. The one thing I think he's very good at is blitzing. When they bring him off the edge, he causes problems for the protection.

I think Brown is fine. He was hurt and was always going to be a 1-2 year project at corner while being a very good special teams player (which he is). He could easily be at least as good as Randall *** at his best or Ellis Hobbs.

I would like to see more from Berry. He wasn't put in a position to make a huge impact against Atlanta. He was up in the box all game for some reason. That was a misuse of his talent and ability to take away parts of the field, imo.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:10 PM    (permalink
villagewarrior
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post
I don't think the jury is out on Berry. We know what he is, a difference maker. The rest I agree with.
He's had a year away from the game and a significant injury. The jury is very much back out on him.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:20 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagewarrior View Post
He's had a year away from the game and a significant injury. The jury is very much back out on him.
We know what he is capable of. In this day and age an ACL doesn't drastically change who a player is unless they don't rehab it properly. He did. I have no worries with Berry from here on out.

Old 09-14-2012, 03:03 PM    (permalink
onejayhawk
Veteran

onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I am not a fan of Barkley, which is good, since he will likely go ahead of us. I think Jones is getting so hammered he may be underrated at this time. Hopefully he is also underafted by us. Bray and Wilson make more sense.

J

Ad Super Bowl per Aspera
onejayhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:07 PM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

1. Quarterback
2. Secondary
3. ILB
4. TE/WR
Quote:
Old 10-01-2012, 11:15 PM    (permalink
T-RICH49
All-NFLDC

T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

1. QB
2. QB
3. QB
4. QB
5. QB
6. ILB
7. S
8. DE (Dorsey's probably gone after the year)
Old 10-01-2012, 11:26 PM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

And T jax is due 14 mil next year.
Quote:
Old 10-03-2012, 08:44 PM    (permalink
villagewarrior
Pro Bowler

Is anyone else worried about this QB class? I liked Geno Smith and Tyler Wilson a lot but they've both lost their luster a little bit to me. Geno is no RG3, he's got some talent but he would likely be a long term project. Wilson has been hurt by a large amount of talent graduating and by his coach being an idiot, but he still has some weapons on offense and has still looked much more rattled than a guy with his experience should be.

Just so we get this straight, I want a QB as much as anyone. I'm just not sure it's prudent to take one of these risky QBs when there are at least 4 players better than all of them (J. Jones, S. Lotulelei, J. Hankins, K. Allen).

The Chiefs just had to crap the bed the year after Luck and RG3. Wonderful.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:53 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

I don't think there is much risk with the top three QBs, and they come into a great situation here. I'd be happy with Geno Smith, Tyler Wilson, or Matt Barkley. Geno is my favorite with Tyler Wilson a very close second.

Arkansas lost their coach and graduated a lot of talent on the offensive side of the ball, plus Wilson got hurt so I'm not holding it against him. Couple that with the fact that the Arkansas D is god awful, and he's having to win games with Cobi Hamilton and no one else, I'm still really loving him.

Geno Smith > Tyler Wilson > Matt Barkley > Logan Thomas in that order for me, but EJ Manuel is growing on me a bit too.

So to answer, no I'm not worried about those top three guys. Not at all. One of them has to be a Chief next year for us to go anywhere.

Old 10-04-2012, 03:51 AM    (permalink
KaneMarko
Veteran

KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

For me, this draft in April is all about the Chiefs getting a REAL starting QB prospect. And I'm almost ready to say it has to be Geno Smith. I like Tyler Bray too (although there are some obvious flaws in his game).

For me, there is only one other 1st round non-QB prospect the Chiefs can draft that won't have me pitching a fit. And that is Jonathan Banks from Miss St. Because I think he has star potential at CB and we need more talent in our secondary.

I'm not a big Barkley fan. IDK if it's the fact that there are 4 USC QBs that have been drafted high and/or are starting in the NFL and none of them, with the exception of Palmer, has ever amounted to much. But I'm just not really high on Barkley.

I'm not super high on Logan Thomas at this point. I just don't see a dynamic passer in him.

I don't really care much for Landry Jones (he would have done himself a lot of favors had he come out last year).

Aaron Murray I actually like.

But next April, for me, the Chiefs have to get Geno Smith. If not him then Tyler Bray (and hope whoever the coaches are can fix his flaws). But, even if I did get Geno Smith, I actually wouldn't stop there. If Mike Glennon was still on the board in the 3rd or 4th round, even if we had already drafted Geno or Bray, I'd spend another pick on Glennon too. Because the Chiefs need to find a long-term fix at QB. And they need to exhaust all reasonable opportunities to do so.

Last edited by KaneMarko : 10-04-2012 at 03:53 AM.
KaneMarko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:34 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

I agree on drafting a second QB next year. The QB situation we have is downright abysmal. That entire group needs to be overhauled.

I actually wouldn't mind Cassel staying on as a backup, but his days of starting for this team have to be over.

I want Geno the most, but I'd take Barkley or Tyler Wilson too. It's just time.

Old 10-04-2012, 03:03 PM    (permalink
KaneMarko
Veteran

KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post
I agree on drafting a second QB next year. The QB situation we have is downright abysmal. That entire group needs to be overhauled.

I actually wouldn't mind Cassel staying on as a backup, but his days of starting for this team have to be over.

I want Geno the most, but I'd take Barkley or Tyler Wilson too. It's just time.
I just hate it's come down to this. The Chiefs practically have no choice but to get a QB in the first round. Like I said, I'm not a Barkley fan. Tyler Wilson is kinda growing on me. But my top two choices are Geno and Tyler Bray.

I said this on another forum but for me it's all about the Chiefs getting a QB in the first round this year. There is one MAYBE two other non-QB prospects that I would accept without throwing a big time fit. And it's only because I think we have issues in the secondary that I would "accept" Jonathan Banks from Miss St or Amerson from NC State as I think they have the potential to be star CBs in the NFL (Banks moreso than Amerson). But there had better be one HELL of a reason why we can't land a QB in the first round this year. And I'm not real sure I trust Pioli with the task of evaluating and drafting a QB.
KaneMarko is offline   Reply With Quote