Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Closed Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 05:34 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Also, the short week is a killer on me to do the gameday thread. It will probably be short and lame (that's what she said).

Boooooooooooo.

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:41 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
I don't even know why I bother talking Alex Smith away from the 49ers section here. People there literally believe that Matt Stafford, Tony Romo, Jay Cutler and Philip Rivers have been better than Alex Smith this year. I don't know how to seriously respond to that
Because, the people here are dumbasses plain and simple. Or rather, they don't watch enough games. Who are most of the fans here? Giants fans? We don't have many fans here of teams from the western part of the United States.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:44 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfy-ya View Post
I don't know why anybody would talk about Alex outside our fanbase for any lengthy period of time. 80% of football fans feel that Alex is a average-below average QB who was a waste of a #1 overall selection. There's no glory in arguing against those ideals because honestly that's pretty much been the case for most of his professional career. Even though other circumstances also played a factor in his marginal play, those are the facts. His good stretches are just that. And until he sustains a couple of seasons of good play, perception will be his reality. There's no point in arguing against that perception, no matter how right you think are. The average fan, even the average one here will never give Alex the benefit of the doubt. If he's playing great its because of some other variable. If he's playing like crap, "same old Alex Smith". It's ppl around here who still say Eli isn't a elite QB. Why even waste your breath. Alex could lead this team to a SB and ppl will still say we won it despite Alex, not because he was in some way one of the catalysts that propelled us to victory.
Also, Alex Smith will never be a fantasy football monster, which is how people rate quarterbacks this season. They don't have time to focus in and actually read beyond stat lines. This is a microcosm of our society in general.

Matt Schaub is also another guy that gets a bad rap because of his health issues the last few seasons, combined with the losing of the Texans franchise. However, when he's been a starter the Texans passing attack has usually been good. People forget about him though for the first time reasons despite being a good player. And he actually does put up fantasy football numbers.

Quote:
Old 10-16-2012, 08:46 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Quote:
THANK GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I came to this realization over a year ago. Any mention of Alex Smith in the NFL forum will instantly bring on the hate. It doesn't matter if you have great stats to share, or a story about Alex, or even if I mention that I have a tenant in one of my rental houses named Alex Smith, all it does is spark lame jokes and memes. I implore everyone to not even mention him anymore outside of these walls. And that, is quite sad.
Yes it's probably better that way. But when people here, some whom aren't actually as dense as those on team message boards, say something regarding the 49ers that is ridiculously inaccurate I feel obligated to school them.

Quote:
Old 10-16-2012, 08:47 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I came to this realization over a year ago. Any mention of Alex Smith in the NFL forum will instantly bring on the hate. It doesn't matter if you have great stats to share, or a story about Alex, or even if I mention that I have a tenant in one of my rental houses named Alex Smith, all it does is spark lame jokes and memes. I implore everyone to not even mention him anymore outside of these walls. And that, is quite sad.
who is this "Smith" character you speak of?

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Old 10-16-2012, 09:10 PM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
Yes it's probably better that way. But when people here, some whom aren't actually as dense as those on team message boards, say something regarding the 49ers that is ridiculously inaccurate I feel obligated to school them.
Exactly. I mean, Matt Stafford, Jay Cutler and Philip Rivers being better than Smith this year is horribly inaccurate at best and a hilariously awful point of view at worst. You would have had to just watch Smith's worst couple of games and the others best games to think something like that.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:32 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I posted this on another forum. Apologies to those that have read it...

Disclaimer*

I watched the game knowing we lost big, and that Alex Smith played terribly. I watched the game without any emotional attachment, in that I knew the outcome in advance. With that said...

I didn't think it was as horrible as I thought it would be. Alot of blame to go around, but my biggest complaint is simply that of the bad timing of poor execution.

Smith's "DWalk" interception... He threw it up. It was a gamble, could've been avoided, but is precisely the type of throw that people have maligned Smith for never making. He threw deep when his man wasn't wide open. My question... why to Delanie?

Smith's "Manningham" interception. Bad, bad decision to force the throw in negative territory. Wasn't a terribly inaccurate pass, poor timing (look at some of Eli's misfires,) but a pass that shouldn't be thrown, and he rarely does.

Smith's "Crabtree" interception. Got away from him. Sailed. Bad pass. However, watch how Crabtree attacked the ball (or didn't) compared to how Victor Cruz attacked Manning's terribly thrown ball (worse than Smith's.) Cruz accelerated to the ball and jumped in front of the defender to make a great play. Smith's pass was poor, but Crabtree's reaction out of his break, was lazy.

Maybe I flip-flopped the picks, but they are what they are.

Next... Bad luck.

Manning threw 9 straight completions (I believe) in the 2nd quarter. 7 of these passes were caught in spectacular fashion. If any one of those passes falls incomplete, you could say, would've been a really, really tough catch. The receivers made every single one of them. Compare this to the deep ball to Manningham. It was NOT a drop. He made a tremendous effort. The luck comes in when he can't make the grab, when the Giants receivers had been.

Next... The Rogers drop...

This was his scouting report prior to last year. Simple, simple catch, and if he makes it, likely a pick-6.

All of these things I chalk up to bad luck and timing occurring at the worst possible times. Which is what happens when teams get beaten like this.

My biggest concern was the adjustment, or lack-there-of, to the Giants' run-blocking gameplan. They were brilliant. Sealing at both the 1st and 2nd levels. It was similar to how the 49ers execute in the ground game. No adjustment was made. Someone wasn't gap-sound in their assignments. It needs to be looked at.

And finally... The Kaepernick experiment. It's already been said. I'm all for Kap getting experience, but the timing of a majority of his snaps was poor and wreeked of desperation. Desperate to say "look at how creative we are." There's a time and place to experiment. Wrong time, wrong place.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:27 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We need to stop talking about the loss to the Giants. Forget it. Screw it. It's over and done with. This team needs to rebound with wins against the Seahawks and Cardinals. In SF, we need to win both games and go 6-2 heading into the bye week. The short week sucks but im happy that its now as opposed to November or December. If we lose either or both of the next two games, changes MUST be made but before we talk about any possible future changes, let's wait and see what happens with the next two games.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:48 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
Also, Alex Smith will never be a fantasy football monster, which is how people rate quarterbacks this season. They don't have time to focus in and actually read beyond stat lines. This is a microcosm of our society in general.

Matt Schaub is also another guy that gets a bad rap because of his health issues the last few seasons, combined with the losing of the Texans franchise. However, when he's been a starter the Texans passing attack has usually been good. People forget about him though for the first time reasons despite being a good player. And he actually does put up fantasy football numbers.
Schaub gets a fair bit of praise, but it's hard to really make the case he's as good as guys that have shown they can carry their team to wins in big games when he's yet play in a real big game in his career. Last year was supposed to be his chance to prove he can do it but he got hurt.

BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
Quote:
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:48 AM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
Smith's "DWalk" interception... He threw it up. It was a gamble, could've been avoided, but is precisely the type of throw that people have maligned Smith for never making. He threw deep when his man wasn't wide open. My question... why to Delanie?
I posted this in another thread but I feel like it belongs here to.

http://ninerchatter.blogspot.com/201...right.html?m=1

It is basically the exact same play. People killed Smith for not lobbing the ball into the air when it was clear Walker would get behind the defender right next to him but before the safety over the top commits to the inside of the field. On Sunday he did exactly what they wanted and look what happened. The safety runs under it and gets an interception.

Quote:
Smith's "Crabtree" interception. Got away from him. Sailed. Bad pass. However, watch how Crabtree attacked the ball (or didn't) compared to how Victor Cruz attacked Manning's terribly thrown ball (worse than Smith's.) Cruz accelerated to the ball and jumped in front of the defender to make a great play. Smith's pass was poor, but Crabtree's reaction out of his break, was lazy.
I remember reading during or right after the game, it was either on Maiocco or Barrows' pages, that Crabtree was supposed to run the route in front of the defender.

Quote:
Manning threw 9 straight completions (I believe) in the 2nd quarter. 7 of these passes were caught in spectacular fashion. If any one of those passes falls incomplete, you could say, would've been a really, really tough catch. The receivers made every single one of them. Compare this to the deep ball to Manningham. It was NOT a drop. He made a tremendous effort. The luck comes in when he can't make the grab, when the Giants receivers had been.
The 49ers simply don't make great catches. When is the last time you remember a 49ers receivers making an amazing catch in coverage or snatching the ball away from a defender? Every other team has at least a few of these types of plays this year but I cannot recall one for the 49ers.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:48 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I got a lot of the new gameday thread done last night. Should finish sometime today.

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:53 PM    (permalink
binary
Veteran

binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Giants took our soul, let's just admit it. We're screwed. Alex crumbles when we fall behind.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:09 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
The 49ers simply don't make great catches. When is the last time you remember a 49ers receivers making an amazing catch in coverage or snatching the ball away from a defender? Every other team has at least a few of these types of plays this year but I cannot recall one for the 49ers.
Weird, Manningham and Moss have made careers out of tough catches (Moss of course, do i even need to say Manningham considering his NFCCG/SB catches?). Basically, i don't think the receivers are the problem with our passing game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binary View Post
The Giants took our soul, let's just admit it. We're screwed. Alex crumbles when we fall behind.
He was so good at it last year, and in 09, and has shown that ability before too. Don't know what it is, but this year he seems utterly incapable of engineering a comeback.

That being said, the sky isn't falling. He's improved and plays a lot better when we're tied or have a lead, but its concerning that any deficit looks hard to comeback from. We just have to remember to focus on the run game because thats our major offensive advantage. We're still a good team, but it is frustrating because IMO Alex has had 3 good (Packers, Lions, Bills) and 3 bad (Vikings, Jets, Giants) games. So we don't know which Alex we'll get.

Last edited by 49ersfan_87 : 10-17-2012 at 07:12 PM.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:17 PM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Weird, Manningham and Moss have made careers out of tough catches (Moss of course, do i even need to say Manningham considering his NFCCG/SB catches?). Basically, i don't think the receivers are the problem with our passing game.
Not really saying they are the main problem with the passing game but people are always talking about how Smith should throw it up an let the receiver go get it--when is the last time one of our receivers did go get it?
Old 10-17-2012, 08:37 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binary View Post
a team whose offense is based around the run game and defense can't come back in games? not shocking.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Old 10-17-2012, 09:30 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
a team whose offense is based around the run game and defense can't come back in games? not shocking.
And that's why we're not a good enough overall team to win the SB. If we had a passing attack, we would have won the SB, not the Giants. :(
Old 10-17-2012, 10:35 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Quote:
Not really saying they are the main problem with the passing game but people are always talking about how Smith should throw it up an let the receiver go get it--when is the last time one of our receivers did go get it?
Well we also have to take into account that Alex's deep ball accuracy isn't that great with anyone not named Vernon Davis.

By the way I'm probably going to Hong Kong tomorrow morning which means I'll miss the game. I expect the 49ers to come out on top. I'll be royally pissed if I check NFL.com and find that the 49ers have lost. And I'll shoot myself if they get their asses kicked again. Especially if Russell Wilson looks like a Hall of Famer in the process. The sting of the 9 years before the previous season still lingers a little bit. And that is, when the talking heads build up the 49ers, they collapse. Harbaugh hasn't lost back to back games yet, and this past weekend just did not seem like the team we're accustomed to seeing. They're at home, the crowd should be roaring at the beginning. It's time to get back on track. This is a good opponent and the 49ers need to prove they're still top dog.

Quote:
Closed Thread