Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 10-22-2012, 01:40 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So we're talking just about player safety now in accordance with the NFL and not athletes going broke because of personal decision making right? You seemed to lump the previous two together in your statement before last, which prompted my last response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polamalu_is_God View Post
It just sounds like your trying to place 100% of the blame on the league, when you need to to focus that blame on former players is all.
I never placed blame or praised one side. That seemed to be you:

Quote:
It's because these old retired players are suing the league for injuries they sustained during their careers. Blame the players like Brian Westbrook, not Goodell and the league. They're just trying to cover their asses.
For your point of view, from what I understand, the blame goes all to the players. I simply implied that it wasn't one sided.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
You really believe the NFL bears no responsibility with former players and the cases they've made against the league? I'm sure there are some broke players out there that might be trying to get some cash on the side back, but I'd be hard pressed to believe that the NFL is completely clean when it comes to the past and making sure that the best interest came to making sure the well-being for individuals is at the top of the priority list for not just the next Sunday where they can earn more dough for the league, but after they've retired.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:17 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

when you're making multi-million dollars there's no reason to go broke. don't buy 6 cars and a mansion. don't make stupid investments. there are people who make fractions of what they make and don't file for bankruptcy. just don't be so stupid with your money, it really isn't that difficult
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:35 PM    (permalink
Polamalu_is_God
Rookie

Polamalu_is_God Polamalu_is_God Polamalu_is_God Polamalu_is_God Polamalu_is_God Polamalu_is_God Polamalu_is_God Polamalu_is_God Polamalu_is_God Polamalu_is_God Polamalu_is_God

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
when you're making multi-million dollars there's no reason to go broke. don't buy 6 cars and a mansion. don't make stupid investments. there are people who make fractions of what they make and don't file for bankruptcy. just don't be so stupid with your money, it really isn't that difficult
its useless bro.Ness works for the players union.

By:BK the God
Polamalu_is_God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:41 PM    (permalink
The Alex
Pro Bowler

The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bill Burr feels the same way:

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
I heard that Sylvester Stallone wrote The Expendables with The Alex in mind. He had to keep it realistic though and split The Alex's abilities into multiple characters. Stallone thought that critics would pan it for being too far-fetched if he just had one character effing everyone up.
The end. Cut to black. Audience goes ****ing ape****.
The Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:50 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
its useless bro.Ness works for the players union.
Right, because it's not like I just proved to you that I'm not biased on one side, unlike yourself.

I love posts like these. You've officially verified that I've been wasting my time.

Quote:

Last edited by Ness : 10-22-2012 at 02:59 PM.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:55 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Quote:
You're right there shouldn't be a reason to go broke. There also shouldn't be loads of people coming after you day after day asking for some cash at the side. And I think it's different as a young professional athlete that has suddenly been granted a huge payday where everyone knows it's open season on you compared to someone that has periodically built up their wealth over a course of years and years. It's easy to say not to be stupid with your money when you're on one side of the fence and never put in these people's shoes. Really easy. Also easy to take things out of context. I'm not trying to say forgive a lot of athletes that do go broke, because a lot of them screw themselves over, but at the same time I'm not going to sit there and act like it's a piece of cake to handle all of that wealth when I've never been in that situation before, which is handed a fortune literally in a day. There are also a ton of people that don't make what these professional athletes are making and still file for bankruptcy.

Quote:

Last edited by Ness : 10-22-2012 at 03:02 PM.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:22 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Lets not forget many athletes come from poverty, low-income areas (and thereby a lesser education more than likely) and may not have been taught properly about saving and spending like many of us have.

I'm sure if we were all poverty stricken and then earned a huge paycheck we'd all want to spend it too.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:28 PM    (permalink
WCH
All-Pro

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Going broke is a big problem for the "nouveau riche" in general -- not just athletes. People who come from "Old Money" are taught to live off of the interst, or the interest on the interest, and they often have to demonstrate some financial sense before they're even allowed to touch their own money. They have several generations of accumulated wisdom. "New Money" types are learning on the fly, and it's not uncommon to see them lose big money in "fool proof" investments.
WCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:42 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

there's spending and then there's spending like a ******* idiot. I don't care where you came from, if you're not smart enough to either realize you're pissing away all your money, or don't have someone there to advise you that you're pissing and giving away all your money, then yeah, I don't feel bad. I'm sorry, but I don't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:44 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forenci View Post
Lets not forget many athletes come from poverty, low-income areas (and thereby a lesser education more than likely) and may not have been taught properly about saving and spending like many of us have.

I'm sure if we were all poverty stricken and then earned a huge paycheck we'd all want to spend it too.
A lot of these pro athletes do come from poverty and are taught to hustle and live like a player. They're introduced at a young age to a lifestyle via the media and entertainment on how to "live big" and materialize their wealth. A 21/22 year old kid that comes from the streets and is given a fortune in one day is going to go buckwild plain and simple. At least in some aspects. There are a lot of temptations naturally that come with that power. It doesn't necessarily make them stupid, just financially uneducated, which isn't that surprising seeing as these athletes have acquired their instant status based on just their physical abilities. And I'd be hard pressed to believe that these universities are actually striving tooth and nail to try and educate these players (which are really just seen as valuable commodities to make the institutions millions of dollars) about the pitfalls regarding money and stardom in the sports world. Really, why would they be obligated to care once the players leave the school?

Quote:
Old 10-22-2012, 05:46 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCH View Post
Going broke is a big problem for the "nouveau riche" in general -- not just athletes. People who come from "Old Money" are taught to live off of the interst, or the interest on the interest, and they often have to demonstrate some financial sense before they're even allowed to touch their own money. They have several generations of accumulated wisdom. "New Money" types are learning on the fly, and it's not uncommon to see them lose big money in "fool proof" investments.
We're also in an age of just consuming. People, rich or poor, are spending a lot more on material goods than they ever were. At least in America. When the economy was really bad a few years ago, that didn't stop people from not saving up and not spending money. Especially during the holidays.

Quote:
Old 10-22-2012, 05:53 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Quote:
there's spending and then there's spending like a ******* idiot. I don't care where you came from, if you're not smart enough to either realize you're pissing away all your money, or don't have someone there to advise you that you're pissing and giving away all your money, then yeah, I don't feel bad. I'm sorry, but I don't.
I don't think anyone is asking you to feel bad. I certainly don't feel bad for people that have gone bankrupt. Why would I? I don't know them and it wasn't my money that was lost. However, I do think it's important to realize that not every pro athlete that goes bankrupt or loses their fortune loses it in the same way, which is by living in luxury or spending ridiculous amount in personal material goods like having 5 nice cars and living in a mansion.

Quote:
Old 10-22-2012, 06:26 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Anyone who thinks that a fool proof investment exists deserves to lose their money.

BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:42 PM    (permalink
WCH
All-Pro

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud View Post
Anyone who thinks that a fool proof investment exists deserves to lose their money.
I certainly agree with you on that. People fall for it time after time, though.

When people ask me what I would do if I won the powerball, I tell them: "I'd diversify, live off the interest, and make sure that I don't go broke."
WCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:57 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I certainly agree with you on that. People fall for it time after time, though.

When people ask me what I would do if I won the powerball, I tell them: "I'd diversify, live off the interest, and make sure that I don't go broke."
That or initiate my plan to buy my own island nation.

BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote