Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Cleveland Browns Team Forum

Cleveland Browns Team Forum Discuss the Browns

View Poll Results: Who do you want or see coaching for the Browns next season?
Pat Shurmur 1 8.33%
Jay Gruden 0 0%
Mike McCoy 1 8.33%
Ray Horton 2 16.67%
Bill Cowher 1 8.33%
Ryan Dennison 0 0%
Dave Toub 0 0%
Perry Fewell 3 25.00%
Chip Kelly 0 0%
Other 4 33.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-24-2012, 11:40 PM    (permalink
Brown Leader
Pro Bowler

Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default 2013 Browns Coaching Candidates

Who do you want or see coaching for the Browns next season?

The number one thing for me is I'd like to see this offense stay in place. Surest route to ruining a new QB is throwing different systems at them every other year-and Weeden doesn't have as long as an ordinary new QB. That means retaining Childress as OC and ruling out an offensive minded HC. At this point in his career I think Chilly will be fine being an OC for the foreseeable future. For a defensive-minded coach this ought to be a pretty attractive position in that the key parts on offense are already in place. Of the defensive oriented coaches that should get a shot at a HC after the season, #1 on my list right now is Ray Horton.

It's interesting to debate whether Banner/Haslem will look for a proven guy or a first time HC. Cowher is only 3 yrs older then Horton, unbelievably, and if he's finally serious about getting back in, I think this is a good situation for him. He's made some public comments on Fox this season praising the Browns and Weeden.

Defensively, Horton or Cowher mean going back to a 34 but we've definitely got the interior line depth for it and many of our key guys are familiar with the scheme. Switching back, our front 7 depth chart would look something like:

DE Athyba Rubin - Frostee Rucker
NT John Hughes - Ishmaa'ily Kitchen
DE Phil Taylor - Billy Winn
ROLB
RILB Gocong - Michael -Johnson
LILB Jackson
LOLB Sheard - Stephens

That's a lot to work with upfront and the upcoming draft has a bunch of highly rated DE/OLB to choose from.[Jarvis Jones - Dion Jordan - Damontre Moore - Bark Mingo - Corey Lemonier] My preference though, if it was a defensive coach, would be to finish out the offense by taking the beast that is Keenan Allen and not have to worry about that side of the ball for the next five years. Right now, the only vet FA WR I'd take over Allen would be Bowe.

The DC is almost as important. First choice would be San Fran DL coach Jim Tomsula.

Share your thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by borg9 View Post
Are you not entertained? Is this not why you are here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBess View Post
....ask Brandon Weeden.
Pre-Draft 2014 Mock *FULL DRAFT*

Last edited by Brown Leader : 10-24-2012 at 11:49 PM.
Brown Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:58 AM    (permalink
BuckeyeDan17
Pro Bowler

BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really like David Shaw but I'm not sure the new regime is going to want a rookie HC. He does have ties to Banner though.

I do agree though if the dream of Cowher comes to fruition that the overhaul in switching to a 3-4 wouldn't be as complicated as our first switch was when Romeo got to town. Taylor/Rubin would be a nice rotation at NT while we could snag the OLB prospect you mention, and perhaps we snag a late-round gem at rusher.

Have it your way, with BK (BoneKrusher)
BuckeyeDan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:06 PM    (permalink
Brown Leader
Pro Bowler

Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That Fewell has got to be Rosebud.

Quote:
Quote:
....ask Brandon Weeden.
Old 11-04-2012, 03:28 PM    (permalink
STsACE
Rookie

STsACE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.STsACE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.STsACE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.STsACE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.STsACE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.STsACE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.STsACE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.STsACE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.STsACE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.STsACE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.STsACE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Personal opinion, but I wouldn't want to switch back to a 3-4. If we do, I feel we're in for a complete Defensive overhaul once again.

Rubin and Taylor would be NTs. I don't feel either could give you the production they give now at DE in the 3-4 as they do right now in the 4-3.

We have no DEs, no LBers outside Gocong to fit the 3-4. Jackson plays his best in space, not at the POA like you want from ILBers in the 3-4.

So no 3-4, please.

I do know we can't go into next season with Shurmur as our HC, I wouldn't be surprised to see him fired after he coached the game away to the Ravens. An interim HC would be fine with me coming outta the bye. At least it'd be a legit reason for not winning anymore games instead of the debacle that is Shurmur right now.

I want a HC who can adjust to what he has and not a guy who needs his "type" of guys. I know our record doesn't show it, but I feel like we do have some talented young guys who just aren't being coached correctly right now. I don't want to see a roster overhaul.
STsACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:22 AM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

3-4 transition wouldn't be as hard as you think. Rubin and NT. Taylor at DE (and he could play NT as well). Winn at DE. Kitchen back up NT, Hughes backing up at DE. Sheard at OLB. Gocong and Jackson at ILB like under Ryan. Of course they'd need another pass rushing OLB, but we need another pass rusher regardless of scheme.

3-4 switch wouldn't be so hard this time. That said it'd be much easier to stay in the 4-3. It doesn't really make that much of a difference b/c most teams play some sort of hybrid a lot of the time and few play the true 2-gap 3 man front even if they are a 3-4 team. We need more good pass rushers on the edge or else it won't matter what scheme we run.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:16 PM    (permalink
BuckeyeDan17
Pro Bowler

BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Old 11-14-2012, 09:58 PM    (permalink
j05son
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I often wonder what stability in the front office/coaching staff would feel like.

Let's get some activity going in the Cleveland sub-forum!
j05son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:56 PM    (permalink
Brown Leader
Pro Bowler

Throw two more names in the hat. Rex Ryan. Mike Holmgren. Personally I'd love Rex here-more than Horton. Holmgren stepping down to coach? Idk but he's got the resume and it would keep continuity on both sides.

Quote:
Quote:
....ask Brandon Weeden.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:00 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j05son View Post
I often wonder what stability in the front office/coaching staff would feel like.
Let's hope the new owner solves all that.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:48 AM    (permalink
ZuKe
Rookie

ZuKe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ZuKe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ZuKe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ZuKe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ZuKe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ZuKe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ZuKe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ZuKe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ZuKe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ZuKe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ZuKe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
Let's hope the new owner solves all that.
really starting to like him

what are your guys thoughts on lovie smith dont think he has been talked about as in option from what i have read
ZuKe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:55 AM    (permalink
BuckeyeDan17
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZuKe View Post

what are your guys thoughts on lovie smith dont think he has been talked about as in option from what i have read
If we attach him to a Proven offensive mind, I suppose.

Hope we interview Mike Mccoy.

Last edited by BuckeyeDan17 : 01-07-2013 at 06:16 PM.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:06 PM    (permalink
Brown Leader
Pro Bowler

Agreed. If you could find a top notch OC to pair with Lovie, that could work. Chan Gailey's older but he's a proven good offensive coach.

I don't have a problem with Whisenhunt either. Pair him with a good to great QB and he'd be Tom Coughlin.

Quote:
Quote:
....ask Brandon Weeden.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:49 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZuKe View Post

Lovie is a great defensive mind but he runs a Cover 2 defense and I'm not sure our personnel suits that defense. It might set our defense back quite a bit as he tries to find the personnel for his system.