Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 10-29-2012, 10:19 AM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by y.f.s. View Post
There are so many things wrong with this post I have no idea where to begin. There is nothing similar about them as prospects. Or their college offenses.
I'm going to ignore the fact that you didn't go into any specifics whatsoever and ask if your opinion is affected by how Gabbert has been as a pro, or based on how he was as a prospect. I think people are severely overrating Wilson at this point. He's thrown a bunch of touchdowns against teams like Kentucky and Jacksonville State; aside from that, what has he done this season without Adams/Childs/Wright?
Old 10-29-2012, 10:31 AM    (permalink
y.f.s.
Rookie

y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Jones View Post
I'm going to ignore the fact that you didn't go into any specifics whatsoever and ask if your opinion is affected by how Gabbert has been as a pro, or based on how he was as a prospect. I think people are severely overrating Wilson at this point. He's thrown a bunch of touchdowns against teams like Kentucky and Jacksonville State; aside from that, what has he done this season without Adams/Childs/Wright?
My opinion on Gabbert the Pro and Gabbert the prospect aren't that much better. He's improved yes, but he's still one of the worst QBs I've ever seen. This goes back to his college days, where he was absolutely horrid at Mizzou.

You also compared the spread offenses. Mizzou and Arkansas couldn't be any further apart. When Gabbert was at Mizzou, they were running a variation of the Purdue "catch and throw" quick pass spread (but with Air Raid offensive line splits, because Pinkel liked the wrinkle after playing one of Leach's teams).

Ryan Tannehill threw a bunch of TDs against bad teams and sucked against good ones. You guys have GOT TO STOP TAKING THE EASY WAY OUT WITH THE NARRATIVE SCOUTING. What did HE do or not do well?

I see you with the pre-emptive scrambling, though, but I've only seen him do it a few times. Whereas with Gabbert, it was every other snap.
y.f.s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:40 AM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Both players struggle with their balance/weight transfer and it affects a lot of their throws (fluttering); the arm angles vary a lot as well. Wilson always looks uncomfortable in the pocket even if the rush isn't nearby; he has some of the same flimsiness that bothered me about Gabbert. He's got this pocket and he's ready to scramble:

Old 10-29-2012, 10:50 AM    (permalink
y.f.s.
Rookie

y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I dunno. I broke down his Rutgers game from this year, and I saw a QB working with far less functional space than Gabbert's ever shown comfort in. He'll drift once or twice a game, but I don't think he's even as bad as Weeden was in that regard, especially considering the beating Wilson takes with all those 5 man protections and slow developing route concepts.

Weight transfer is an issue, though. He's gotta drive off that back foot when he actually does have time/space.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:04 AM    (permalink
SolidGold
Pro Bowler

SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If we want to talk about QBs inflating stats against inferior competition Geno Smith should be at the top of the list.
SolidGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:11 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He just had Clowney coming at him with a full head of steam, hung in there and threw a stirke for a TD while getting planted. That was very impressive.

Clowney getting to him was almost as impressive. Top overall picks from this year and next year possibly.

Feed Moncrief
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:57 PM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by y.f.s. View Post
I dunno. I broke down his Rutgers game from this year, and I saw a QB working with far less functional space than Gabbert's ever shown comfort in. He'll drift once or twice a game, but I don't think he's even as bad as Weeden was in that regard, especially considering the beating Wilson takes with all those 5 man protections and slow developing route concepts.

Weight transfer is an issue, though. He's gotta drive off that back foot when he actually does have time/space.
One thing I kinda noticed is, when in shotgun he tends to take a pretty deep drop from where he starts. It's kinda weird looking but I agree, he needs to get over his front knee a little more. I'm not sure if it's to do with his knee bend though. At times it looks as though he is almost getting into a squat position his knees are so bent

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:49 PM    (permalink
y.f.s.
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntoinCD View Post
One thing I kinda noticed is, when in shotgun he tends to take a pretty deep drop from where he starts. It's kinda weird looking but I agree, he needs to get over his front knee a little more. I'm not sure if it's to do with his knee bend though. At times it looks as though he is almost getting into a squat position his knees are so bent
Check this out (and read the comments section, too)

Old 11-12-2012, 05:29 PM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah, I wouldn't know the exact mechanics for QB drops and footwork etc but I get how the weight is transferred through good knee bend and a good wide base. I think with Wilson, and it isn't all the time (which is a worry to itself) is at times he doesn't follow through the full motion and will throw the ball in a squat position. Watching Brees he always ends in a position with his front leg straightened and his arm going over it. The long catch and run TD against Rutgers is a good example Wilson not doing this. I think the thing that looks weird (to me anyway) with his drop is, and once again not always, he will have his first step be with his left foot straight back instead of pivoting on it and stepping with his right foot.

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:02 PM    (permalink
JHL6719
Veteran

JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Compares to Rex Grossman when he came out of Florida.
JHL6719 is offline   Reply With Quote