Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 10-15-2012, 01:11 PM    (permalink
Mr. Goosemahn
All-Pro

Location: Crushed Anthony Thomas hopes and broken Mark Herlizch dreams...
Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What would you guys say is a good program for a beginner? I run and swim, but almost no weights-stuff.

If it helps, I'm 6'1 and about 150 lbs :S

Props to clover_jeez!
Mr. Goosemahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:26 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogs View Post
Ahhh, the old Matt Ryan workout I see. #GettinSwole

Bro, I don't know you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperDosPuntoCero View Post
Today is the official start of my massive cut. Not excited to not eat.
Cutting sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goosemahn View Post
What would you guys say is a good program for a beginner? I run and swim, but almost no weights-stuff.

Do you have access to gym stuff?

Check Starting Strength or 531 for Beginners.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:47 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm moving to a new place soon. It'll have some extra space that I want to convert to mini-Gym.

Are there any multi-functional equipment worth buying?

Sig by Primetime21
MaxV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:58 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If I were to buy anything for the house, it'd probably be a set of those dumbbells that have adjustable weights to them.

Something like this. Saves space and you can vary the resistance.
Dumbbells are so versatile, you could work out your whole body with them.

I don't think anything can replace a gym though.

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:04 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Pull up rack/squat rack/bench rack
Old 10-15-2012, 04:06 PM    (permalink
Raiderz4Life
All-NFLDC

Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Only thing I don't like about working out at home is my undisciplined ass gets distracted too easily or I get complacent and half-ass stuff cuz I'm in the comfort of my own home.

Props to BK for the sig
"Impulsive thinker, compulsive drinker, addict, half animal half man"
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
that's because we're the only animal capable of getting it from other animals. the day a goat can milk cows, it will.
Raiderz4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:17 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Location: I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark haired women and breakfast food
Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If I had a power rack at home, well that would be epic. I wouldn't need anything else at all really. Not so feasible in manhattan on the 17th floor of an apt building though.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:01 PM    (permalink
Bob Sanders Dreadlock
Pro Bowler

Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Depends on what your goals are? If you are wanting to add weight stop running and swimming and begin lifting and eating.

Colts Cardinals Bulls Hurricanes
Bob Sanders Dreadlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:50 PM    (permalink
Mr. Goosemahn
All-Pro

Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLDirtyBirds View Post
Do you have access to gym stuff?

Check Starting Strength or 531 for Beginners.
Yeah, I've got access to the university gym, which is pretty well equipped.

Props to clover_jeez!
Old 10-15-2012, 05:51 PM    (permalink
Mr. Goosemahn
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Sanders Dreadlock View Post
Depends on what your goals are? If you are wanting to add weight stop running and swimming and begin lifting and eating.
Yeah, basically gain weight, or mass, or whatever the terminology is, haha. I said mass due to Mac on IASIP.

Props to clover_jeez!
Old 10-15-2012, 05:53 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Yeah, basically gain weight, or mass, or whatever the terminology is, haha. I said mass due to Mac on IASIP.
Starting Strength is the easiest to start out with. I'd sub the power cleans for rows.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:14 PM    (permalink
Vikes99ej
Icon

Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Been on a fitness/health bender since around Sept 19. I weighed in a 221 lbs and said that was enough.

Started lifting twice a week, running twice a week. Taking some daily supplements (that I'm pretty sure are worthless) and cutting down the drinking to maybe once a week. Tried to improve the diet too with eggs, tuna, 100% whole wheat, greek yogurt, granola bars, kiwi, bananas and some pasta.

You guys think I should be exercising more than four days a week? Not sure if my fifth day should be a run day or a lift day (I've been doing chest, biceps, shoulders, lats)
Vikes99ej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:20 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes99ej View Post

You guys think I should be exercising more than four days a week? Not sure if my fifth day should be a run day or a lift day (I've been doing chest, biceps, shoulders, lats)
I would definitely lift more. If you can, you can do both on the same day.
I love running at night (I hate running but prefer to do it at night, I mean) so I usually lift during the day and run at night.
Occasionally, I'll run right after I lift. Though, I'm usually beat after my workouts and may end up on the elliptical/cycle instead

Old 10-30-2012, 12:34 AM    (permalink
Raiderz4Life
All-NFLDC

Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I got a question. If I wanna workout my legs...should I skip cardio or is doing cardio and then doing leg lifts after OK?

Props to BK for the sig
Quote:
that's because we're the only animal capable of getting it from other animals. the day a goat can milk cows, it will.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:44 AM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

I think it's fine. That just me though. Leg day is the only day where I do the cardio first. No way I can run after working out my legs.

Old 10-30-2012, 01:15 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Cardio is fine first as long as its not wearing out your muscles before the workout. I usually just do bike before legs rather than running so it's easier on my legs overall but is still a decent warm up for them.

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:12 PM    (permalink
Raiderz4Life
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by draftguru151 View Post
Cardio is fine first as long as its not wearing out your muscles before the workout. I usually just do bike before legs rather than running so it's easier on my legs overall but is still a decent warm up for them.
That's a pretty good idea. Think that's what I will do as well. I would just take it a little easier on the cardio so as to not wear out my legs but wasn't 100% sure if it was OK or counterproductive.

Props to BK for the sig
Quote:
Old 10-30-2012, 06:25 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've been running since January and I think I still run slower than most girls (the in shape ones... not the fat ones that run on the treadmill trying to get in shape)
Old 12-08-2012, 10:59 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I hope everyone is bulking and getting ready to cut after Jan 1.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:47 AM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

If you've never worked out before (outside of cardio), then you might want to try a basic army workout (pushups, situps, pullups, lunges, planks, etc) before you go to a gym.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:17 PM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Man, what the hell is wrong with America? It cost like $80 just to get a set of 25 lb dumbbells. Any suggestions on best deals for a guy trying to get just a small home workout program going?

I'd like to get dumbbells from 15-35 lbs but everywhere I look it's incredibly expensive.

Oldie but a goodie.
nobodyinparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:25 PM    (permalink
jballa838
Team Leader
All-Pro

jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodyinparticular View Post
Man, what the hell is wrong with America? It cost like $80 just to get a set of 25 lb dumbbells. Any suggestions on best deals for a guy trying to get just a small home workout program going?

I'd like to get dumbbells from 15-35 lbs but everywhere I look it's incredibly expensive.
If you can find a deal on these, I recommend them: http://www.amazon.com/PowerBlock-Cla...ef=pd_sbs_sg_7

Otherwise, I'd buy a pullup bar and do a bunch of bodyweight workouts to get a workout in. I know that's not what you were looking for, but that's going to get you the best bang for your buck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlyabroncosfan View Post
JBalla is mormon, so naturally he assumes that whenever you get one marriage done, another two or five are in the works.

jballa838 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:31 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodyinparticular View Post

Save a couple empty laundry detergent containers. Fill said containers with pebbles/rocks. If it is not heavy enough, fill with water after the rocks. Really good ghetto weights.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:47 AM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

How much rest time should I give each muscle group between workouts? For example, many years ago I used the following schedule

Day 1: back and biceps
Day 2: chest and triceps
Day 3: legs and shoulders
Off day
Repeat 1-3

I'd mix in abs twice during the week. Is that too much time off between muscle groups?

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Borat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:54 AM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
How much rest time should I give each muscle group between workouts? For example, many years ago I used the following schedule

Day 1: back and biceps
Day 2: chest and triceps
Day 3: legs and shoulders
Off day
Repeat 1-3

I'd mix in abs twice during the week. Is that too much time off between muscle groups?
That's too much lifting. Assuming you are going decently heavy, I wouldn't lift more than 4 times a week or 2 days in a row. It's as much about neural recovery as muscle recovery.