Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 10-30-2012, 03:25 PM    (permalink
MassNole
Pro Bowler

MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Giovani Bernard, RB, North Carolina

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...iovani-bernard

He is a RS-Sophomore after missing his freshman year with an injury so he is draft eligible. At UNC he has the luck of running behind one of the best OLs in the country but he still puts up staggering numbers. Through 7 games he has 930 yards rushing (7.4 ypc) and 10 TDs, 32 receptions for 319 yards (~10 ypc) and another 3 TDs. He also has returned 12 punts for 249 yards (20.75 avg) and another 2 TDs, including a game winning PR for a TD to end UNC's losing streak to N.C. State.

His numbers would be higher if he didn't miss 2 games to injuries or if he didn't have just 2 carries for 70 yards (2 TDs) in a blowout win over Idaho.

He could very well be the most complete back in this draft and is a threat to score every time he touches the ball. From what I've heard from UNC fans, virtually no one expects him back.

So where would he go, especially now that Marcus Lattimore has torpedoed his draft value.
MassNole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:29 PM    (permalink
Scott Wright
Owner
All-NFLDC

Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This is who I replaced Lattimore with in my mock draft after the injury.

Bernard has some durability issues too and isn't overly big or fast but he's a terrific all-around weapon. I compared him to Knowshon Moreno coming out of college, but Ryan Williams might fit too. Bernard will be in the mix to be the first running back selected this year if he comes out, although that is due in part to this being a lackluster crop of talent at the position.

Twitter: twitter.com/DraftCountdown

Draft Countdown Podcast, Every Tuesday at 8 PM EST
www.blogtalkradio.com/draftcountdown and on iTunes

Scott Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:37 PM    (permalink
MassNole
Pro Bowler

MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post

Bernard has some durability issues too and isn't overly big or fast but he's a terrific all-around weapon. I compared him to Knowshon Moreno coming out of college, but Ryan Williams might fit too. Bernard will be in the mix to be the first running back selected this year if he comes out, although that is due in part to this being a lackluster crop of talent at the position.
Just saw that. He would be a terrifying addition to the Packers offense with the things he can do.
MassNole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:48 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post

I didn't see where you made the comparison, but I'd just made it myself in the prospect comparison thread the other day. Definitely a LOT of similarities between those two.

Edit: see the comparison's in the mock draft thread. And just fwiw, because you mentioned it, too - definitely coming at this comparing them as prospects, not a projection for Bernard, although I do wonder what his role on an NFL team would be. LeSean McCoy seems like he's too good to be the comparison, but he was also taken in the second round himself and there's a lot of physical similarities as well as in playing style.

Last edited by Caulibflower : 10-30-2012 at 05:52 PM.
Caulibflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:52 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I love Gio. Lattimore was my number 1 guy but Gio was very close. He's an all around, 3 down back.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:58 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bernard just doesn't seem like he's either really fast or a true workhorse, and so I wonder how many NFL teams are looking to invest a premium pick in a back who doesn't blow you away with any of his physical tools but offers a lot of versatility. He's not a CJ Spiller kind of guy, but watching him I don't see the pure running ability of guys like Trent Richardson, Mark Ingram or Doug Martin. He's kind of a poor man's Doug Martin to me right now, but that could change as I watch him more.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:11 PM    (permalink
PossibleCabbage
Pro Bowler

PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If I'm thinking of taking an RB in the first, he has to be "special" in some way or another. I just don't see anything special about Bernard. He's just one of those "pretty good at a lot of things" backs, which over and over again we see aren't worth first round picks (Donald Brown, Knowshon Moreno, Mark Ingram, etc.)

If I really want an RB this year, I'm trying to trade back into the late 30s/early 40s, I'll take whoever is left among Bernard, Ellington, Taylor, Lacy, whoever.

Last edited by PossibleCabbage : 10-30-2012 at 06:34 PM.
PossibleCabbage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:18 PM    (permalink
ChiFan24
2011 SWDC Mock Draft Champ
Pro Bowler

ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Before I read any of this thread, I looked at some highlights, and Knowshon Moreno was the first name to pop into my head, too. Funny. Then I decided to be a little more generous and give him a Donald Brown comp.

Needless to say, I don't see why a team would use a first rounder on the guy. He could end up being a nice back, but besides some nice balance, I don't see any special qualities as a runner. Seems to be the consensus here.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:31 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Honestly, watching him I think he actually looks slow. I'm rescinding the LeSean McCoy comparison because aside from size and stats, their playing styles don't look alike. McCoy has so much more suddenness.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:55 PM    (permalink
norcalgsr
Veteran

norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He has the skill set of Shane Vereen and the build/body of Javon Ringer. I can see him being taken in the 2nd round.

I don't see Moreno in his game. He runs much lower and compact like Ringer does. But he is shifty and elusive like Vereen.

Last edited by norcalgsr : 10-30-2012 at 06:58 PM.
norcalgsr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:35 AM    (permalink
duesouth
Rookie

duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Durability a big concern. ACL injury in 2010 and missed a couple of games this year with injury. The type who often comes out of a game dinged up. But other than that love the kid - patient, good burst, good vision and speed - plus a really good receiver.
duesouth is offline   Reply With Quote