Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 10-31-2012, 04:36 PM    (permalink
DraftSwag
Rookie

DraftSwag needs more cowbell.
Default Is Jarvis Jones a Von Miller Clone???

I've only watched Jarvis Jones a few times, but the dude is a absolute stud from what I've seen. His measurables and production at the collegiate level remind me so much of Von Miller. He's tops in the country in both TFL's and sacks. When he's on the field you can't help but notice his domination. I really didn't get the chance to watch lot's of Von Miller, but I know he was a playmaking OLB. What are your thoughts on this comparison?????
DraftSwag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:37 PM    (permalink
Razor
Pro Bowler

Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hell no... Miller is twice the player that Jones is. Jones is vastly overrated at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
I'm a whiny little kunt. Feel sorry for me as I go masturbate to a picture of my mom dressed as a teletubby.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:46 PM    (permalink
DraftSwag
Rookie

How can you be overrated and you lead the country in TFL's and are like 2nd in sacks. If he's overrated then what are the other 1,000's of D1 defensive players that are producing at a lower level than him?????????????????????????
Old 10-31-2012, 04:51 PM    (permalink
DraftSwag
Rookie

I was overwhelmed by his ignorance. LOL
Old 10-31-2012, 04:54 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wouldn't say Jones is half the player Miller is, they just aren't really similar

Feed Moncrief
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:55 PM    (permalink
Thecollegedropout
Pro Bowler

Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Miller's the more explosive pass rusher but Jarvis Jones brings more to run stopping and is more of a complete player.
Thecollegedropout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:02 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Miller is more explosve. Jones is more upright in his pass rushing technique, I don't think that will translate as well as Miller's style. Jones definitely a top 10 pick though.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:19 PM    (permalink
DraftSwag
Rookie

When I see a guy that's dominating at the highest level of college football its hard for me to make an argument against him. You can say whatever you want about his posture or whatever, but at the end of the day the guy gets on the field and makes more plays than anyone else at the position. TFL's and sacks are the easiest way to determine whether a guy makes game changing plays as a linebacker or a defensive lineman. If you don't agree then go ask every offensive coordinator in the country when they're punting the ball on 3rd and long.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:22 PM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I know cross-racial comparisons are as taboo as it gets but I think he's a lot closer to Clay Matthews than he is to Von.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:25 PM    (permalink
Razor
Pro Bowler

Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACKLE View Post
I know cross-racial comparisons are as taboo as it gets but I think he's a lot closer to Clay Matthews than he is to Von.

Exactly. And he should be drafted in the same region as Matthews too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
I'm a whiny little kunt. Feel sorry for me as I go masturbate to a picture of my mom dressed as a teletubby.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:29 PM    (permalink
DraftSwag
Rookie

I feel like all the guys you are naming are all so similar. Playmaking outside linebackers that are all in that 6'3 235-250 range. Clay Matthews is a little bit bigger than the both of them, but I just can't understand how someone could say Jarvis Jones is overrated. That caught me off guard.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:35 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACKLE View Post
Clay Matthews and Von Miller are the two guys he gets compared to the most. not really taboo when those are the only 2 dominant undersized pass rushing OLBs in the NFL. I remember back when there was talk that Clay Matthews would be an ILB in the NFL (?????). Not many guys who profile as a 3-4 rush OLB would be an OLB not a DE in most 4-3s like Miller, Matthews, and Jones (and Bruce Irvin if you wanna include him in the conversation).
Old 10-31-2012, 05:40 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
perhaps adding a few more question marks would make your question more valid.
That made me laugh out loud.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:44 PM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DraftSwag View Post
I feel like all the guys you are naming are all so similar. Playmaking outside linebackers that are all in that 6'3 235-250 range. Clay Matthews is a little bit bigger than the both of them, but I just can't understand how someone could say Jarvis Jones is overrated. That caught me off guard.
Just because you play the same position and both have success doesn't mean you play the same way. Miller has elite quick twitch athleticism to completely overwhelm tackles at the snap, where as Mathews is much better at playing with leverage to knock linemen off of their base.

Jarvis will test out very well at the combine but isn't in the same class as Von measuarbles wise. He is also a little light and bigger tackles will be able to push him around a bit until he gets stronger. That being said he has the tools to be a great player and is a lock for the top ten picks IMO.
Witten4HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:47 PM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post

Exactly. And he should be drafted in the same region as Matthews too.
Well if people were projecting Clay to be as good as he turned out to be, he would have been a Top 3-5 pick.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:48 PM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witten4HOF View Post
Jarvis will test out very well at the combine but isn't in the same class as Von measuarbles wise. He is also a little light and bigger tackles will be able to push him around a bit until he gets stronger. That being said he has the tools to be a great player and is a lock for the top ten picks IMO.
I agree that he doesn't have Von's overall explosiveness but he plays with much better power and is quite a bit stronger than Von ever was as TAMU.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:52 PM    (permalink
DraftSwag
Rookie

The bottom line is that all these guys are high producing outside linebackers. I agree that Von Miller may be more athletic than Jarvis Jones, but I don't even know if I can say that. The difference between Clay Matthews and the rest of these guys is that Matthews worked his way to become who he is and these other guys are just naturally gifted football players. I think Miller, Jones, and Irvin who was mentioned above are just pure playmaking linebackers with instincts to find the football that can't be taught. Lets not even mention how tough Jarvis Jones is. Arguably the best player in college football right now.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:05 PM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This is silly.

No one was positive about Miller's measurables until during the combine. Many on this board questioned whether or not he was really only 6'2, 230# and way too small to play OLB in the pros.

When he showed up at the combine at 6'3 and close to 250# and ran a mid 4.4, it explained a lot of what many saw on film; a OLB who just seemed flat out quicker and faster than any OT he lined up against in college.

Jarvis Jones looks like a beast on film, I can't wait to see what his official numbers are.
No matter, I think Jones is probably one of the top 3-5 defenders who come off the board in 2013.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:13 PM    (permalink
TheBoyWonder22
Shave
Pro Bowler

TheBoyWonder22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBoyWonder22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBoyWonder22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBoyWonder22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBoyWonder22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBoyWonder22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBoyWonder22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBoyWonder22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBoyWonder22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBoyWonder22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBoyWonder22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Is Kiwi a good comparison? I haven't really watched Georgia this year, but he sounds a lot like Kiwi.

Compliments of TACKLE

Gamertag/PSN: theboywonder44
TheBoyWonder22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:25 PM    (permalink
Thecollegedropout
Pro Bowler

Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoyWonder22 View Post
Is Kiwi a good comparison? I haven't really watched Georgia this year, but he sounds a lot like Kiwi.
Much stronger IMO on the run stopping. Might have been on Kiki's level of pass rush when Kiwi was in BC but I think Jones upside is better on the pass rush while Kiwi was a finished product heading into the NFL in that regard.
Thecollegedropout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:30 PM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoyWonder22 View Post
To be honest with you. other than the fact that they can both be 4-3 LB/DE's, they aren't really similar at all. Very different body types and athletes.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:54 PM    (permalink
rawdawg
Veteran

rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Definitely not a Von Miller clone. Mingo is a better comp for Miller (though I think he's more Aldon Smith than anything). I actually think Jones could be an excellent ILB in the 3-4, that can occasionally rush the passer. Kinda reminds me of a slower version of Lawrence Timmons.
rawdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:03 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jarvis Jones is going to be one of the best 3-4 OLB's in the NFL. He just gets it done. Could he play elsewhere? Yes, he could but he has the potential to be an absolutely amazing 3-4 OLB. He can move around, play on either side, stand up or put his hand down. He doesn't look overly fast or anything but he just consistently gets it done. I would take him over anyone in this draft as a Pats fan, and I think if a team is set at QB taking Jones is the right thing to do.

Feed Moncrief
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:12 PM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Love the Clay Matthews comparison! Very true even though Georgia's scheme is completely different than the USC d that Matthews played in they have very similar skill sets. Thing is about Matthews position in the draft he was only like a one year starter so that likely hurt his stock, I imagine Jones will be selected a lot higher.
Robcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:15 PM    (permalink
DraftSwag
Rookie

I think the consensus is that Jarvis Jones is a beast. He obviously has a body of work that proves that. I think he falls into the category of football players that have all the intangibles leading them to produce at high levels no matter what system they are in. I compared him to Von Miller because Miller is another guy that isn't always the biggest or fastest guy on the field, but always seems to be making plays. To discredit his pass rushing ability is ludicrous. The guy leads the country in sacks per game and plays in the SEC. What more can he can he accomplish as a college football player? I can guarantee you that the opposing lineman aren't overlooking his pass rushing ability.