Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 10-31-2012, 09:25 PM    (permalink
villagewarrior
Pro Bowler

villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Haven't seen as much as what I'd like, but from what I've seen is he is very capable of standing offensive tackles up at the point of attack to set the edge outside. Capable of stringing outside plays to the sideline and closing the B gap down to make running backs look to bounce or cut back. That, together with his ability to rush the passer tells me he has a chance to be pretty legit at the next level.

Also, he looks a legit 240 to me, maybe a little more. Just a very thick fellow.
villagewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:27 PM    (permalink
indyfan1985
Veteran

indyfan1985 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.indyfan1985 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.indyfan1985 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.indyfan1985 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.indyfan1985 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.indyfan1985 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.indyfan1985 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.indyfan1985 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.indyfan1985 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.indyfan1985 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.indyfan1985 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Jarvis Jones finds ways to make plays, even though he isnt quite the athlete Von Miller is.

While Von is more explosive and athletic, Jarvis I feel has better insticts and football awareness.

indyfan1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:41 PM    (permalink
JagWired32
Rookie

JagWired32 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJagWired32 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJagWired32 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJagWired32 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJagWired32 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJagWired32 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJagWired32 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJagWired32 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJagWired32 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJagWired32 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJagWired32 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

No doubt in my mind this guys my favorite player and the guy I want the Jags to pick with their pick regardless from where there at if we think Gabbert should be here next year (last 2 weeks hes looked good). He can play in a lot of different situations and I see him being able to play an OLB in a 4-3, that's the only comparison I see of the two.

BK on the sig
JagWired32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:11 PM    (permalink
PossibleCabbage
Pro Bowler

PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Exactly. And he should be drafted in the same region as Matthews too.
To be fair, history will look back at Clay Matthews being selected with the 26th pick (behind 4 other people drafted to play OLB in an odd front, 3 of which were Aaron Maybin, Robert Ayers, and Larry English) to be quite the steal.
PossibleCabbage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:33 PM    (permalink
DraftSwag
Rookie

DraftSwag needs more cowbell.

Wow thats crazy those guys were taken ahead of him. When Maybin was coming out I knew he was overrated. Last thing I heard about him was that he was doing OK for the Jets. Robert Ayers and Larry English are just straight up busts. I'm pretty sure Jarvis Jones is better than all of them including Clay Matthews.
DraftSwag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:47 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Clay Matthews and Von Miller comparisons are coming purely from looking at his height/weight and then his stats. He's not in the same league as either player.

He gets stonewalled at the point of attack. Most of his tackles are where he gets blocked initially, and then is chasing a running back down 7 yards past the line of scrimmage. He makes plays when they come to him, but he doesn't ever seem to be the one making anyone else look foolish. He's not especially fast.

I'm not saying he's terrible or can't play in the NFL, but I don't see what others are when they're saying he belongs in the top 10.
Caulibflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:52 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DraftSwag View Post
I think the consensus is that Jarvis Jones is a beast.
Incorrect.

Quote:
He obviously has a body of work that proves that.
Like Brian Bosworth.

Quote:
I think he falls into the category of football players that have all the intangibles leading them to produce at high levels no matter what system they are in. I compared him to Von Miller because Miller is another guy that isn't always the biggest or fastest guy on the field...
Very incorrect. Von Miller was the fastest player on the field.

Quote:
...but always seems to be making plays.
Correct.

Quote:
To discredit his pass rushing ability is ludicrous. The guy leads the country in sacks per game and plays in the SEC. What more can he can he accomplish as a college football player? I can guarantee you that the opposing lineman aren't overlooking his pass rushing ability.
Which is why he's a good candidate to be a collegiate All-American. Maybe get talked about at the end of the season for a little statue of some sort.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:54 PM    (permalink
DraftSwag
Rookie

The dude leads the country in TFL's per game and is second in sacks. How could you possibly say he gets stonewalled at the point of attack. It would be one thing if he wasn't producing at the highest level of college football(THE SEC). Jarvis Jones has clearly separated himself from every other defensive player in country and if you can't appreciate that then you need to be diagnosed. Go watch a Georgia game and I bet he'll be the best player on the field no matter who they're playing. "chasing a running back down 7 yards past the line of scrimmage" REALLLLLYYYYYYY. C'MON MANNNNNNN
Old 10-31-2012, 10:56 PM    (permalink
DraftSwag
Rookie

Wow comparisons to Brian Bosworth. That's a bold statement. I'll hold you to it.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:59 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Quote:
The dude leads the country in TFL's per game and is second in sacks. How could you possibly say he gets stonewalled at the point of attack.
Because most of the TFLs I've seen are backside sacks and reading options correctly. I.e., being a disciplined (read: "good") player who knows where to be, has good instincts and a good feel for the game. What you don't see is him ripping off of a pulling guard to pull down a running back before he can break through the line. You don't see him hammering into the pile and stopping it, and you don't see him getting off of tackles' blocks at the corner and stopping the play. He makes plays behind the line of scrimmage and down the field, but teams pick up regular chunks of yardage running power plays directly at him.

Quote:
It would be one thing if he wasn't producing at the highest level of college football(THE SEC). Jarvis Jones has clearly separated himself from every other defensive player in country and if you can't appreciate that then you need to be diagnosed. Go watch a Georgia game and I bet he'll be the best player on the field no matter who they're playing. "chasing a running back down 7 yards past the line of scrimmage" REALLLLLYYYYYYY. C'MON MANNNNNNN
Stats are relevant in All-American conversations in college and Pro Bowl conversations in the NFL, and that's about it. An NFL coach isn't going to draft a player for his trophy case, even if it's full. I see a player filling up the stat sheet who doesn't look to me like he'll be a dominant NFL player in any aspect of his game, so he doesn't look like a top-10 pick to me.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:11 PM    (permalink
DraftSwag
Rookie

He doesn't play the best offenses are you serious. He plays against the best players you braniac check every NFL roster then tell me that he's not competing against NFL talent. Come up with something better than that if you wanna come at my neck. You sound stupid.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:12 PM    (permalink
DraftSwag
Rookie

Caulibflower you know what they call you. " OVER EVALUATOR"
Old 10-31-2012, 11:14 PM    (permalink
PossibleCabbage
Pro Bowler

PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really think a lot of the draft story on Jones is going to come down to the combine doctors eval on his neck.

Player comparisons aside, that worries me.
PossibleCabbage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:16 PM    (permalink
DraftSwag
Rookie

Production in the SEC is always relevant. Proves that when he is going against the highest level of competition in college he dominates. Can't be discounted and that's why he'll probably be a top 5 pick. If we were discussing a fringe guy I could understand, but we are talking about a guy who is considered the top defensive player in college football. Are you seriously trying to have this argument.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:23 PM    (permalink
DraftSwag
Rookie

That is a legitimate concern. At least you bring up valid points. I'm not sure what these other clowns are talking about. I guarantee if Jarvis Jones played against Oklahoma St., Louisiana Tech, Baylor, Arizona, Marshall, Texas A&M, Oregon he would dominate in all those games and the crazy thing about those teams is that they don't even have better players individually than damn near every team in the SEC.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:30 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Von Miller was intiall knocked for looking like a 1 trick pony. Speed edge rusher and not much else.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:32 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
That is a legitimate concern. At least you bring up valid points. I'm not sure what these other clowns are talking about. I guarantee if Jarvis Jones played against Oklahoma St., Louisiana Tech, Baylor, Arizona, Marshall, Texas A&M, Oregon he would dominate in all those games and the crazy thing about those teams is that they don't even have better players individually than damn near every team in the SEC.
I think a few of them might be better than UK, Miss State,Vandy
Old 10-31-2012, 11:39 PM    (permalink
Brown Leader
Pro Bowler

Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulibflower View Post
The Clay Matthews and Von Miller comparisons are coming purely from looking at his height/weight and then his stats. He's not in the same league as either player.

He gets stonewalled at the point of attack. Most of his tackles are where he gets blocked initially, and then is chasing a running back down 7 yards past the line of scrimmage. He makes plays when they come to him, but he doesn't ever seem to be the one making anyone else look foolish. He's not especially fast.

I'm not saying he's terrible or can't play in the NFL, but I don't see what others are when they're saying he belongs in the top 10.
Thank you. He's non stop hustle but doesn't look terribly athletic, especially compared to Matthews and Miller. A to B he's pretty quick with great leverage but he doesn't look great breaking down in the open field. Arm length might be an issue as well. Reminds me most of a small Tambi Hali or Chris Long-everything he gets is based on hustle, toughness and smarts. It's hard though, trying to get an accurate read on him this season, because he's constantly nicked up-which raises another concern. Similar to Brandon Graham, someone will fall in love with him, but I think it's questionable how well his game will translate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by borg9 View Post
Are you not entertained? Is this not why you are here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBess View Post
....ask Brandon Weeden.
Pre-Draft 2014 Mock *FULL DRAFT*
Brown Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:39 PM    (permalink
DraftSwag
Rookie

The SEC just doesn't get to showcase offense because they are going against NFL Caliber defensive players. Half of those teams that put up crazy offensive numbers are going against 2nd rate defenses. We already saw what happened when West Virginia actually played a decent defense and even Arizona got shut out by the Oregons defense imagine what a Georgia, Alabama, Florida, Tennessee defense would do to them. Their is no comparison to quality of players individually to the SEC. That's a fact not opinion.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:59 PM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think people assume the SEC don't have powerful offenses because the schemes aren't as wide open as big12 teams and they don't put up gaudy numbers as a result. However, the SEC as a whole has some of the best offensive lines so when a guy dominates in the SEC in penetrating and getting TFLs it should not be brushed aside by saying the SEC lacks powerful offenses.
Robcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:55 AM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

*unnecessary post deleted*

Last edited by Caulibflower : 11-01-2012 at 03:20 AM.
Old 11-01-2012, 03:06 AM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This is so similar to the predraft talk about Von Miller this time two seasons ago.
Smallish, more quick than fast, straight line rusher with no counter moves.

IMO people are underrating Jones' talent and overall game. He's much more than a hustle guy.
Old 11-01-2012, 03:14 AM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post
This is so similar to the predraft talk about Von Miller this time two seasons ago.
Smallish, more quick than fast, straight line rusher with no counter moves.
Didn't we already establish that this is a misconception? That when Von weighed in at the combine people realized they'd simply thought he must be undersized because he was so fast? But in actuality he's well over 6'2" and basically ran 4.40 flat at 245 pounds. He's not the heaviest linebacker out there, but when you're that fast you don't need to be. No need to knock Von's work ethic or Jones' athleticism, but let's not pretend Von Miller gets by on hustle because he's something other than a freak of nature.
Old 11-01-2012, 03:21 AM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Quote:
He doesn't play the best offenses are you serious. He plays against the best players you braniac check every NFL roster then tell me that he's not competing against NFL talent. Come up with something better than that if you wanna come at my neck. You sound stupid.
SEC sack leaders since 2005:

2005 - Willie Evans - 6'1" 270 lbs, 4.95 40-yard dash - 14 sacks against "NFL talent." Signed as a rookie free agent but never played a down in the NFL.

2006 - Hey, how about a couple of EPIC busts in Jamaal Anderson and Derrick Harvey, who both had 11 sacks against all that elite talent and even measured out as having prototypical tools.

Jamaal Anderson - 6'6" 288 lbs, 4.75 40-yard dash. 1st round pick by the Falcons, and his career high for sacks in a season is three.

Derrick Harvey - 6'5" 270 lbs, 4.84 40-yard dash. 1st round pick by the Jaguars, and his career high for sacks in a season is three and a half.

2007 - You'll be sure to remember Marcus Howard! The undersized (6' 237 lb) rush 'backer with 4.4 speed who was part of a three-way tie for the SEC lead with 10 sacks, ran a blistering 1.47 10-yard split, which showcased his explosiveness out of a stance, showed real strength with 27 bench reps, was drafted in the 5th round by the Colts, played in 9 games in 2008, and was last seen in the CFL.

I was going to go year-by-year up to the present, but I think I'll just stop there.

Last edited by Caulibflower : 11-01-2012 at 03:23 AM.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:38 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
but they played in the sec and had stats so they were clearly the greatest players of all time. your memory is clearly off. i'm pretty sure willie evans is already in the hall of fame because seczzz. i don't know why we're comparing the clearly superior jones to miller anyway. miller played in the big 12 so he couldn't have been any good.

someday, people will actually watch a game before arguing about a prospect. someday.
I hate the arguement saying they played in the SEC against NFL talent and produced, thus they are the best prospects. It's just not true. It may make it an easier evaluation but it doesn't automatically make that prospect great.

If you look through the draft from even 2005 and pick the best players from each draft you don't get an awful lot of SEC players. That is not to say that playing in the SEC is a bad thing, but it is clear that playing in the SEC does not gaurantee you are a better prospect than someone who plays in the big East, or ACC, or the WAC or anything.

Some of the best players to come out in the draft in the last 7 or 8 years came from

Sun Belt - Demarcus Ware
Big East - Revis, JPP, Ray Rice, Lesean McCoy
ACC - Devin Hester, Calvin Johnson, Jimmy Graham
WAC - Logan Mankins

Not exactly powerhouse conferences!

You can't evaluate someone just based on the competition they play against. It helps to be able to see AJ Green go against Patrick Peterson but that's not the end of the evaluation

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote