Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 10-30-2012, 09:50 PM    (permalink
Ozzy
Pro Bowler

Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Reid Fragel = 1st Round Pick

Senior OT Ohio State

Kid is playing great ball 6-8 310 offensive tackle. Is easily the most impressive blocker on any offensive line I have seen this year. Just destroys people, takes the defender completely out of the play and obviously has athletic ability most tackles do not have.

Has so much upside because he is so new to the position, will get comparisons to Eric Winston because he was also a former TE that moved to tackle in college, but Fragel did it much later in the game.

Still kid is playing great football, and at this point I see no reason why he cannot be a 1st round pick, underclassmen Fluker is better than him because of his power, and Henderson if he comes out arguably has more upside and potential. But Fragel is just as good as any senior offensive tackle coming out in the draft I feel and should be getting a lot more attention than he is.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:57 PM    (permalink
Scott Wright
Owner
All-NFLDC

Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Shane and I have mentioned this guy on the podcast a coupe of times.

Not so sure about the first round (!) but definitely a very intriguing prospect or all he reasons you mentioned. I think mid-rounds is well within the realm of possibility.

Twitter: twitter.com/DraftCountdown

Draft Countdown Podcast, Every Tuesday at 8 PM EST
www.blogtalkradio.com/draftcountdown and on iTunes

Scott Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:13 PM    (permalink
Duffman57
Veteran

Duffman57 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Duffman57 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Duffman57 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Duffman57 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Duffman57 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Duffman57 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Duffman57 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Duffman57 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Duffman57 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Duffman57 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Duffman57 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I dont know anything about him, but he plays RT now, does he stay there in the NFL, is he a LT, or can he play both? ZBS or PBS?
Duffman57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:26 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Coming into training camp he was our worst starting lineman (simply because he was a tight end his whole life until training camp right before his senior season of college) but he really started to come on around the Michigan State game where he handled Willie Gholston and took off from there. Maybe our best lineman right now, but still very raw and a long ways to go before he can be a reliable starting tackle in the NFL. Not a first rounder, but a mid round pick maybe with good upside at right tackle. I think he's about a lean of a 310 pound lineman you will ever find.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:34 AM    (permalink
Ozzy
Pro Bowler

Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Maybe it is just me but I would take him over guys like these just on potential and straight up blocking that has been shown.

Eric Fisher Central Michigan
Oday Aboushi Virginia
Xavier Nixon Florida
Dallas Thomas Tennessee
Dann O'Neill Western Michigan
Brennan Williams UNC

If these juniors come out that could change things 1st round a little, but still 1st or 2nd, still is a high pick for a guy totally new to the position.

D.J. Fluker Alabama RS
Seantrel Henderson Miami FL
Taylor Lewan Michigan
Luke Joeckel Texas A&M
Morgan Moses Virginia
Cameron Fleming Stanford RS SOPH
Menelik Watson Florida State

Nixon is playing very well this year and I like Aboushi also, and Fisher at times shows the same power. But I don't know Fragel, if he keeps this great play up, would not surprise me if he gets picked very high. And it is not like he is 6-4 290 or something, if he is actually a legit 6-8 and being this good of run blocker, teams love that size and always will.

[quote]Duffman57 I dont know anything about him, but he plays RT now, does he stay there in the NFL, is he a LT, or can he play both? ZBS or PBS?[quote]For most teams and right handers, I say he sticks at RT because of his run blocking potential and aggression.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:41 AM    (permalink
duesouth
Rookie

duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Love his aggression - about as aggressive as any tackle prospect in this class (which isn't the best IMO).

Pass protection isn't great against speed - doesn't keep his feet moving and over extends, leaving him off balance. Clearly will continue to improve, but I think 4th or 5th round tops. Donald Stephenson last year was a 3rd round pick - he had a much better first step than Fragel being the logic behind that ranking.
duesouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:48 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If he's playing that great at Right Tackle, my ears just got a boner.

How do you compare him to Jake Matthews?

The Cowboys need a RT badly.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:49 PM    (permalink
Ozzy
Pro Bowler

Quote:
D-Unit If he's playing that great at Right Tackle, my ears just got a boner.

How do you compare him to Jake Matthews?

The Cowboys need a RT badly.
If one wants a run blocking RT Fragel could be a very sound player and has worlds of potential, but Fluker is the man at RT I think, such a massive human being, getting better in pass protection and can absolutely crush people like few players can. Not as aggressive blocking like Fragel has shown at times this year, but still overall Fluker is the best run blocking RT in the draft if he comes out.

Quote:
duesouth Love his aggression - about as aggressive as any tackle prospect in this class (which isn't the best IMO).

Pass protection isn't great against speed - doesn't keep his feet moving and over extends, leaving him off balance. Clearly will continue to improve, but I think 4th or 5th round tops. Donald Stephenson last year was a 3rd round pick - he had a much better first step than Fragel being the logic behind that ranking.
That is true, he has a lot to still learn in pass protection but I would hope so coming from someone who has never played the position. Struggled at times recently in pass protection, but still as a run blocker, he is very impressive in my book, and still has a shot, there are a few games left and a long pre draft season to show people what he can do. Super project but one worth taking a risk on I think.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:13 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzy View Post
If one wants a run blocking RT Fragel could be a very sound player and has worlds of potential, but Fluker is the man at RT I think, such a massive human being, getting better in pass protection and can absolutely crush people like few players can. Not as aggressive blocking like Fragel has shown at times this year, but still overall Fluker is the best run blocking RT in the draft if he comes out.
I'm not as high on Fluker mainly cause I value pass protection more. Not to say, I'm not interested in a run blocker, but pass pro is the first check box on my list. I think the world of Jake Matthews so to hear about Fragel interests me. What do you think about comparing them side by side?
Old 11-05-2012, 09:30 PM    (permalink
Ozzy
Pro Bowler

Quote:
D-Unit
I'm not as high on Fluker mainly cause I value pass protection more. Not to say, I'm not interested in a run blocker, but pass pro is the first check box on my list. I think the world of Jake Matthews so to hear about Fragel interests me. What do you think about comparing them side by side?
Still need to watch more of that A&M offensive line, against Alabama will show a lot I think about who good they are as players. Really for the Cowboys though they should start looking for a quarterback, Tyler Wilson would be a great fit.
Sure offensive line is key but really the interior is in bigger need of an improvement than the tackles I feel. Much more quality guards out there than tackles.

Chance Warmack Alabama
Alvin Bailey Arkansas JR
Jonathan Cooper UNC
Patrick Omameh Michigan RS
Michael Philipp Oregon State RS JR
James Wilson Florida
Travis Bond UNC

And really if Dallas wants an offensive lineman, they should go with Barrett Jones because he could fill anything from a tackle, guard or a center spot.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:42 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzy View Post
Still need to watch more of that A&M offensive line, against Alabama will show a lot I think about who good they are as players. Really for the Cowboys though they should start looking for a quarterback, Tyler Wilson would be a great fit.
Sure offensive line is key but really the interior is in bigger need of an improvement than the tackles I feel. Much more quality guards out there than tackles.

Chance Warmack Alabama
Alvin Bailey Arkansas JR
Jonathan Cooper UNC
Patrick Omameh Michigan RS
Michael Philipp Oregon State RS JR
James Wilson Florida
Travis Bond UNC

And really if Dallas wants an offensive lineman, they should go with Barrett Jones because he could fill anything from a tackle, guard or a center spot.
If Doug Free is on the roster next year, he's set to earn $11M.

Barrett Jones will probably be in the mix of choices, but I'm still trying to learn about all the likely options. I wouldn't be so set on Jones and forget the rest at this point. I don't really like Jones at Tackle anyways. I like to play guys where they fit best... and for him I think that's at RG. ...and the fact that there are so many quality Guards I think it would be a shame to take one as high as the Cowboys will be drafting.

Tyler Wilson is a sexy option too.

I've been watching Matthews a lot and I'm just so impressed with him. He shutdown Mingo with ease (forced 3 offsides penalties on Mingo too). I'm gonna put Fragel on the radar now and try to catch him more. You've got high praise for him so I want to see how he compares. :)
Old 11-06-2012, 12:50 PM    (permalink
Pat Sims 90
All-Pro

Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I could only see Fragel in the 1st round if a team really falls in love with him, but late 2nd or 3rd is not out of the question.

RIP themaninblack
Pat Sims 90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:58 AM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Fragel will be making a GM look very smart in a few years. He's a great athlete for someone that size and is just learning the position. He has the a great combo of aggression and brains.
JoeJoeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:52 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Fragel is a nice project at the next level with considerable upside b/c of his physical talent, but he won't be a first round pick b/c while he is athletic, he's not like Ryan Clady or Tyron Smith or anything in that stratosphere...and there are plenty of other OTs in the draft with similar athleticism who have been playing the position longer and better....AND the guy was going to not even be a starter on the OLine last spring before he became a very good college RT a few months later. It's not like he was consistently dominant this year or anything either, and was the 4th best lineman on Ohio State's front (which really says something about how good they were if anything). He will get drafted based on potential, I could see him going in rounds 2 - 4, but I think this round one talk is all overblown.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:23 PM    (permalink
duesouth
Rookie

duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Looking at him on Saturday - he's really come on in pass protection since earlier in the year. NFL Draft Scout still rate him as an UDFA - but I think mid rounds and the potential to push into the top 100. Lane Johnson (Oklahoma) is another riser to watch.
duesouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:40 AM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Fragel sounds like a typical Patriots draft pick on the OL. Dante gets them ultra athletic and turns them into machines at blocking. Both of the Patriots starting OTs are former TEs. Marcus Cannon was is the obvious exception, but his value was way over the norm for a 5th round pick.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:31 AM    (permalink
Duffman57
Veteran

Duffman57 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Duffman57 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Duffman57 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Duffman57 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Duffman57 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Duffman57 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Duffman57 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Duffman57 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Duffman57 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Duffman57 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Duffman57 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by descendency View Post
Fragel sounds like a typical Patriots draft pick on the OL. Dante gets them ultra athletic and turns them into machines at blocking. Both of the Patriots starting OTs are former TEs. Marcus Cannon was is the obvious exception, but his value was way over the norm for a 5th round pick.
Actually not really. Cannon was a MONSTER and an insane athlete for how big he is. He's actually right in that mold, just has a different body type than others. REALLY wanted the Chargers to draft him that year, especially when he fell to the 5th
Duffman57 is offline   Reply With Quote