Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-06-2012, 09:35 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Tony Romo: Would you Re-Sign him?

The 2012 season ends and Jerry Jones shocks everyone by firing himself as GM, and has hired you for the job.

The first big decision you have to make is whether or not to extend Tony Romo, who will be in the final year of his contract in 2013.

Since taking over as starter in in 2006, he has easily been in the top third, if not top quarter, of QBs in the league statistically.

He'll also be 33, making $11.5 million in the final year of his contract, and will be coming off of what can definitely be considered a down season in 2012.

So the decision is left in your hands. Do you extend Tony Romo? Do you let him play out 2013 with no extension while prepared to use the franchise tag if need be? Do you let him walk and, if so, how do you replace him?

Me personally, I let him play out 2013 with no extension. If he has a great season, I go in fully prepared to use the franchise tag. It's hellishly expensive for QBs, but it's better than a big extension with guaranteed money and him entering his mid-30s (a period where dramatic drop off usually begins for QBs.)

Meanwhile, I start preparing for life after Romo. It's unlikely the Cowboys will be picking high enough for one of the elite QBs in this year's draft, I would definitely jump on anyone taking a Rodgers-like fall. I'd also keep an eye on the 2nd/3rd round types who might need a little development as possible replacements after Romo as well.

So what do you do?