Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 11-05-2012, 08:49 PM    (permalink
coltDraftnik
Rookie

coltDraftnik is a cocksman.coltDraftnik is a cocksman.coltDraftnik is a cocksman.coltDraftnik is a cocksman.
Default Big Board If You Were a GM

The sad fact is that you can't just draft the best player available. If you are a pass only team, you can't pay for Carl Nicks kind of player. You'd lose him to free agency. Personally, I like the Saints model of offense. They surrounded Brees with a fantastic OL and they don't sign high dollar WR. If you give an elite QB enough time, he will pick any D apart. On Defense I'd defanitely pump money into a nose tackle and two 3-4 ends. If you can collapse the pocket with just three players, you can shut people down.

My draft board goes as follows:
QB
OT
OG/OC
DL
LB
CB
S
WR/TE
RB

My early big board for my Colts is the following:
1. Johnathon Hankins
2. Dallas Thomas
3. Eric Reid
4. Robert Woods
5. Kawann Short
6. Damontre Moore
7. Jesse Williams
8. Luke Joeckle
9. Jake Mathews
10. Manti Te'o
11. Larry Warford
12. Tavon Austin
13. Stedman Bailey
14. Michael Mauti
15. Matt Elan
16. Tony Jefferson
17. Kenny Vaccaro
18. Corey Lemonier
19. Gerald Hodges
20. Sean Porter
21 Kenjon Barner
22. DeAndre Hopkins
23. Dalton Freeman
24. Malliciah Goodman
25. Andrew Jckson

With most Mocks, the Colts would get:
1. Dallas Thomas
3. Stedman Bailey
4. Kenjon Barner
5. DeAndre Hopkins
6. Dalton Freeman
7. Mallicaih Goodman

I know its all O except the 7th, but Hankins will be gone before Colts Pick, and I think the OLB are extremely overrated. Bust city. We also can't take defense with the second pick, because we traded it for Vonte Davis. For D, this may sound crazy, but I'd re-sign Dwight Freeney and go after a FA Cornerback.
coltDraftnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:32 PM    (permalink
Cardinal96
Rookie

Cardinal96 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cardinal96 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cardinal96 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cardinal96 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cardinal96 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cardinal96 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cardinal96 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cardinal96 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cardinal96 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cardinal96 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cardinal96 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltDraftnik View Post
The sad fact is that you can't just draft the best player available. If you are a pass only team, you can't pay for Carl Nicks kind of player. You'd lose him to free agency. Personally, I like the Saints model of offense. They surrounded Brees with a fantastic OL and they don't sign high dollar WR. If you give an elite QB enough time, he will pick any D apart. On Defense I'd defanitely pump money into a nose tackle and two 3-4 ends. If you can collapse the pocket with just three players, you can shut people down.

My draft board goes as follows:
QB
OT
OG/OC
DL
LB
CB
S
WR/TE
RB

My early big board for my Colts is the following:
1. Johnathon Hankins
2. Dallas Thomas
3. Eric Reid
4. Robert Woods
5. Kawann Short
6. Damontre Moore
7. Jesse Williams
8. Luke Joeckle
9. Jake Mathews
10. Manti Te'o
11. Larry Warford
12. Tavon Austin
13. Stedman Bailey
14. Michael Mauti
15. Matt Elan
16. Tony Jefferson
17. Kenny Vaccaro
18. Corey Lemonier
19. Gerald Hodges
20. Sean Porter
21 Kenjon Barner
22. DeAndre Hopkins
23. Dalton Freeman
24. Malliciah Goodman
25. Andrew Jckson

With most Mocks, the Colts would get:
1. Dallas Thomas
3. Stedman Bailey
4. Kenjon Barner
5. DeAndre Hopkins
6. Dalton Freeman
7. Mallicaih Goodman

I know its all O except the 7th, but Hankins will be gone before Colts Pick, and I think the OLB are extremely overrated. Bust city. We also can't take defense with the second pick, because we traded it for Vonte Davis. For D, this may sound crazy, but I'd re-sign Dwight Freeney and go after a FA Cornerback.
I can't say I disagree with your analysis. I am a Colts fan as well and I would be frustrated if we waited until the 7th round to target defense. Although we will have a lot of cap space next year to go after a free agent if the right one becomes available.
Cardinal96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:34 PM    (permalink
Cardinal96
Rookie

Cardinal96 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cardinal96 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cardinal96 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cardinal96 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cardinal96 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cardinal96 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cardinal96 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cardinal96 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cardinal96 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cardinal96 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cardinal96 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Also with Powers really struggling at cornerback and Vontae Davis perpetually on the injured list, I wouldn't mind going cornerback in the first round if a decent player becomes available. I don't think Freeney will be re-signed and I don't think it is a smart move to re-sign him given what he will likely demand.
Cardinal96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:55 AM    (permalink
SF Dolphin Fan
Rookie

SF Dolphin Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SF Dolphin Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SF Dolphin Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SF Dolphin Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SF Dolphin Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SF Dolphin Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SF Dolphin Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SF Dolphin Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SF Dolphin Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SF Dolphin Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SF Dolphin Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm a little unclear as to whether you are looking for the best 25 players or a board that would reflect your team needs.

Any big board to me would have Jarvis Jones as the top guy. But if I'm looking at the top guys for Miami picking around 20 something it might be more like this.

1. Banks -- I think he goes top 10-15 though.
2. Allen -- If he declares could go top 10
3. Werner -- Probably a top 15
4. Jordan -- Love this guys upside
5. Milliner --- Probably a top 10
6. Hunter --- Likely will be there. Love his talent and upside.
7. Eifert --- I think he would be a great pick for Miami
8. Matthews -- If the team doesn't sign Jake Long
9. Wilson (Baylor) -- Could be a good fit
10. Reid -- Nice player
11. Vaccaro -- A trade down option
12. Woods -- A trade down option
13. Montgomery -- Not a dynamic pass rusher, but good player
14. Mingo -- Likely top 15, but may slide a bit. Risky pick.
15. Patterson -- If he declares. Very talented wr.

I'm sure I'm forgetting someone. I think the Dolphins target CB, DE (pass rusher) and WR with their early picks.
SF Dolphin Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:00 PM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm pretty sure every GM (or decision maker) in the league will have a big board with more than 25 prospects, in fact some will have hundreds.

And It's not just a case of having a list of players, you would also have certain areas you believe this player should go

So say for instance, you are drafting in the 20s in each round and at the 4th there is a guy who may not be exactly what you need or want, but you have them valued as a high 3rd rounder then value dictates he should be the selection. This is pretty close to what the Patriots do anyway. I would be shocked if teams only had a board of players they need or fit the system because these things vary. Talent and value are the two biggest things to draft for

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:13 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntoinCD View Post
I'm pretty sure every GM (or decision maker) in the league will have a big board with more than 25 prospects, in fact some will have hundreds.

And It's not just a case of having a list of players, you would also have certain areas you believe this player should go

So say for instance, you are drafting in the 20s in each round and at the 4th there is a guy who may not be exactly what you need or want, but you have them valued as a high 3rd rounder then value dictates he should be the selection. This is pretty close to what the Patriots do anyway. I would be shocked if teams only had a board of players they need or fit the system because these things vary. Talent and value are the two biggest things to draft for
That's actually what the Patriots tend to do. I remember reading that the front office generally compiles a list of 60 or so players that they think would fit and then assessing where they'd feel comfortable drafting those guys. I assume that their maneuvering around the draft is at least partially influenced by the limited big board they prepare.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:18 PM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Jones View Post
That's actually what the Patriots tend to do. I remember reading that the front office generally compiles a list of 60 or so players that they think would fit and then assessing where they'd feel comfortable drafting those guys. I assume that their maneuvering around the draft is at least partially influenced by the limited big board they prepare.
Yeah what I meant in saying that was going in with a set amount of positions they need to hit on. I also think the Pats have reduced their requirements on players. Sure they probably wouldn't take an undersized pass rusher high in the draft, however if they had him ranked as a 2nd rounder and he is there in the 3rd they would grab him.

I also think after a certain point in the draft teams deviate away from players who fit the system. Ideally they will want early impact players and thus look for guys who can fit right in, however as the draft goes on it becomes a case of getting better players and moulding them

Take Dennard as an example. I don't think the Pats went in with the thought they were going to draft him, however he was clearly the best player on the board. He also wasn't a great fit for what the Pats have recently gone for at CB. They generally prefer guys who are very fluid and have great numbers whereas Dennard was thought of more as a cover 2 due to his inability to turn and run with bigger guys

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig

Last edited by AntoinCD : 11-09-2012 at 01:21 PM.
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:18 PM    (permalink
coltDraftnik
Rookie

coltDraftnik is a cocksman.coltDraftnik is a cocksman.coltDraftnik is a cocksman.coltDraftnik is a cocksman.

Atually, I'm kind of embarassed about my board. Dallas Thomas is rated way too high. I don't think he is a long term OT solution. I can't really tell with OL until you get the draft mags that tell you who plays with leverage and who plays nasty. Also I tend to stay away from people who lack the strength to get a push on third and short or stop a bull rush.

My main question about the draft is who do you decide to pay, and who should be the bargain. I think as long as Detroit has Megatron that they will not be able to get better. All that money pumped into WR doesn't make sense. It would handicap your team. The only player that should get that kind of money is the QB. To me it is the question of 1. who is your QB 2. Can your line keep him healthy, and 3. Is the big toss up. You have to make a choice of what kind of team identity you want. Most people would want to pay a high priced defense to go with your star QB. I have to admit that I like the idea of a high dollar OL to go with a star QB. Imagine this:
LT --Castonzo
LG -- Carl Nicks
C -- Peter Konz
RG -- Larry Warford
RT D.J. Fluker

The Colts could draft Fluker in the first round, and trade up into the second to take Larry Warford. There Is no way we could get Nicks or Konz, but the idea is to plug in high priced FA to add to high draft picks. With a line like that, Luck would only have to convert 3 third downs a game. Sigh, I know people don't run anymore, but I can dream.

My question to you is after the QB and the OT, who do you go with next? I'd stay away from WR and RB. The RB has really devalued, and big name wideouts are almost never worth it. The Colts just switched to a 3-4, and I don't know much about it. Where do you plug the money into a 3-4. I've seen dominant teams who have such a good front three, that they can drop basically everyone into coverage and still get pressure. Do you pay the DL, or do you go after 4 elite linebackers. Then again you could go with Darrell Revis type players and go for coverage sacks. You can't afford to have a great running game and great players all over your D. You have to make a choice what type of team you are.
coltDraftnik is offline   Reply With Quote