Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 11-11-2012, 05:21 PM    (permalink
Cardinal96
Rookie

Cardinal96 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cardinal96 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cardinal96 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cardinal96 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cardinal96 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cardinal96 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cardinal96 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cardinal96 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cardinal96 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cardinal96 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cardinal96 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Zach Ertz, TE, Stanford

I haven't seen a thread about Zach Ertz so I figured I would start one. Ertz is a redshirt junior TE from Stanford. He is by far Stanford's best receiving threat and leads the team in catches and receptions.

What I like about his game:

--good size (6'6" and ~ 250 pounds)
--very good hands
--solid blocking ability

He doesn't have elite speed and can use further work on route running. That said, he is a fierce competitor and I think he has the potential to be a solid starter in the NFL. I can see him going in the 2nd round with possibility of being drafted late in the 1st round.

Comparing him to other Stanford prospects at this position, he doesn't have Coby Fleener's speed and separation but has better blocking ability. I think he is a more well-rounded tight end. With respect to Toilolo, he doesn't have Toilolo's freak 6'8" size. But I would take him over Toilolo in a heartbeat. Toilolo has been a non-factor for Stanford this year.
Cardinal96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:12 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sort of reminds me of the great Niner TE Brent Jones. What that means is you're probably looking at a mid-round pick who could turn out to be a steal given the right situation.
Babylon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:29 PM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd agree that I'd take him over Toilolo, but Ertz isn't close to a 1st rounder. Closer to 3rd-ish for me. Good all around player but he isn't the player that Fleener was. Fleener just had more deep speed and explosion.

Here is some youtube cut ups from USC, Washington, & ND this year. The play on USC at 4:50 was the difference in winning.

USC

Notre Dame

Washington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:20 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal96 View Post
I haven't seen a thread about Zach Ertz so I figured I would start one. Ertz is a redshirt junior TE from Stanford. He is by far Stanford's best receiving threat and leads the team in catches and receptions.

What I like about his game:

--good size (6'6" and ~ 250 pounds)
--very good hands
--solid blocking ability

He doesn't have elite speed and can use further work on route running. That said, he is a fierce competitor and I think he has the potential to be a solid starter in the NFL. I can see him going in the 2nd round with possibility of being drafted late in the 1st round.

Comparing him to other Stanford prospects at this position, he doesn't have Coby Fleener's speed and separation but has better blocking ability. I think he is a more well-rounded tight end. With respect to Toilolo, he doesn't have Toilolo's freak 6'8" size. But I would take him over Toilolo in a heartbeat. Toilolo has been a non-factor for Stanford this year.
Those two points don't marry up. If he's only going to be solid then he isn't going high in the draft. I think he can be an above average TE in the league, bu still believe his ceiling will be late 2nd but most likely a 3rd or 4th rounder

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:14 PM    (permalink
Cardinal96
Rookie

Cardinal96 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cardinal96 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cardinal96 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cardinal96 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cardinal96 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cardinal96 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cardinal96 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cardinal96 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cardinal96 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cardinal96 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cardinal96 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntoinCD View Post
Those two points don't marry up. If he's only going to be solid then he isn't going high in the draft. I think he can be an above average TE in the league, bu still believe his ceiling will be late 2nd but most likely a 3rd or 4th rounder
That's a fair point and that was the homer in me speaking. I am a big Stanford fan. I try to keep any homer instincts out of how I look at where prospects may get drafted but it doesn't always work.
Old 11-12-2012, 03:36 PM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal96 View Post
That's a fair point and that was the homer in me speaking. I am a big Stanford fan. I try to keep any homer instincts out of how I look at where prospects may get drafted but it doesn't always work.
Ha yeah, it also has to do with the TE position and how they are viewed on draft day. Guys who have gone first round have either been freak athletes or very saavy, productive guys. When you look at the top guys only a few were selected in the first round. Gronk, Witten, Graham, Hernandez, Gates etc weren't and then even when looking at them there are some major differences between them.

Gronk fell due to his injury but I'm still not sure he was a sure fire first rounder. Most people pegged Gresham as the clear cut top guy that year.

Graham and Gates were both basketball players who turned football players and became mismatches.

People didn't know if Hernandez had a position in the NFL and had some character concerns.

Since teams know there will be guys later on they tend to wait. Add in that different teams are looking for different types of guys and you simply have a position which is overlooked early in the draft.

Do teams want an inline guy like Gronk or Witten who are too big for safeties and too fast for LBs? Do they want an F tight end like Hernandez or Graham? Do they want a H back? And then, how do teams value their importance?

With teams like the Pats, Saints, 49ers etc using the TE position as major matchup problems other will likely follow suit and therefore the value of good TEs will rise. However for a TE to be drafted in the first he needs ot be a special prospect and Eifert is the only one this year IMO

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:25 PM    (permalink
JohnCandy
Veteran

JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think you are under selling Ertz athleti ability.

He might not be Fleener fast, but he looks more physical and he looks more aggressive when the ball is in the air.
JohnCandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:02 PM    (permalink
JohnCandy
Veteran

JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ertz is tearing it up against Oregon some great tough clutch catches.

Last edited by JohnCandy : 11-17-2012 at 10:04 PM.
JohnCandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:07 AM    (permalink
Cardinal96
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCandy View Post
Ertz is tearing it up against Oregon some great tough clutch catches.
Yes. He was amazing. Our best receiver last night. I think he has 2nd round potential. Whichever NFL team gets him will have a solid TE starter I am 99.9% confident.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:34 AM    (permalink
duesouth
Rookie

duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCandy View Post
I think you are under selling Ertz athleti ability.

He might not be Fleener fast, but he looks more physical and he looks more aggressive when the ball is in the air.
I think he looks just slightly more athletic than Eifert - neither are Jimmy Graham, could sneak into the back end of the first round if a playoff team has a big need.
duesouth is offline   Reply With Quote