Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Mock Drafts

Mock Drafts A Place to Post and Discuss Your Own Mock Drafts

Old 11-18-2012, 03:53 AM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default bish don't kill my vibe

1. Kansas City Chiefs - QB Mike Glennon, NC State

As things stand right now, I have a hunch that Glennon will be right in the mix with the other top QB's and could emerged as the #1 guy on some boards. Although his inconsistency might suggest otherwise, I kinda feel as if he may be perceived as the cleanest/safest QB. Gets check marks across the board with no real physical or mechanical deficiencies and from what I've heard, he'll be a guy who'll really impress teams with his understanding of the game. Word is Chiefs scouts have spent a lot of time at NC State throughout this year. I don't really trust Pioli in regards to QB's and do think that he would be more inclined to take the perceived safe QB atop the draft. As of right now I think that QB will be Glennon. Vidae, I'm so sorry.

2. Jacksonville Jaguars - DT Star Lotulelei, Utah

I think they ride the Blaine train for at least one more year, especially with this QB class. Every position on their D-Line needs to be upgraded so they go with the highest rated defensive lineman on the board.

3. Cleveland Browns - OLB Jarvis Jones, Georgia

Cliche pick. Still not entirely sure I like him this early but they need to upgrade the LB position and their pass rush. Kills two birds with one stones assuming he can be utilized in that Von Miller role. His medical will be something to monitor closely.

4. Carolina Panthers - OT Luke Joeckel, Texas A&M

The crappiness of the Panthers O-Line has been somewhat overlooked as of late and I can't help but think it's affected Cam's progression or lack there of.

5. Oakland Raiders - QB Geno Smith, West Virginia

Don't think they *have* to force QB but they're in a good position to take one with Geno and Tyler on the board. Could go either way with this one. I'll go with Geno for now.

6. Buffalo Bills - QB Tyler Wilson, Arkansas

Personally, he's head and shoulders my #1 QB and would have been close behind Luck on my board had he come out last year. Just such a naturally gifted passer who throws under duress as well as any college QB I watched. With his arm and athletic ability I think he'd be a great fit for Chan and it's nice to have a strong arm QB in a city like Buffalo. Wouldn't have to start right away either.

7. Philadelphia Eagles - OT Jake Mathews, Texas A&M

What to do about Philly. They have no business picking in the top 10 yet here they are. Theoretically if they don't get better, Foles is not the guy and I'm not really expecting he will be long term. However, I don't see a QB here worth taking. Barkley's shortcomings will become even more prevalent as we move forward and I think his stock will probably continue to tumble. If they were to take a QB, don't really know what type of player they should be looking for with Andy potentially gone. Might be some good options in late 1/early 2. Mathews is actually my favorite OT in this draft and he's a plug and play starter at RT.

8. St.Louis Rams - LB Manti Te'o, Notre Dame

Bad spot for the Rams with the top OT's gone. Could take a NT like Hankins but don't see them investing a 4th first round pick in DL. WR value is off and I think they'll let the guys they have develop. No RB or S worth the pick here. They might have to reshuffle things a little but Te'o is arguably the top player on the board and they can find a starting spot for him.

9. New York Jets - OLB Dion Jordan, Oregon

Similar situation as Philly but they have no QB on their roster who might not suck. Don't see them replacing Sanchez with Barkley. Too similar in their skill-sets. Maybe another QB emerges like Manuel or Dysert but for now they may be in a similar boat as Philly where they may be better off getting someone in the late 1st/early 2nd. This team is deprived of pass rushers and Jordan would be a great fit for them. His stock should only continue to rise throughout the workout circuit.

10. St.Louis Rams - OT Eric Fisher, Central Michigan

With two first rounders, they can't neglect OT. Better value here. Fisher has a great frame and a strong base. I feel he's gotten more physical throughout the year. With his length and movement skills, I expect he'll be steady riser and OT's always get pushed up anyway.

11. Tennessee Titans - DE Ezekiel Ansah, BYU

Gets labelled raw because of his inexperience but is much more advanced with his hands and his ability to find the ball than you'd expect him to be. Not many teams are going to pass on an athlete like Ansah. His length, athleticism, motor combo is pretty special.

12. Cincinnati Bengals - DE Damontre Moore, Texas A&M

DE's have underachieved and replacing Robert Geathers is long overdue. Such a deep class for DE. Could easily be Mingo, Montgomery, Carradine, Werner, etc. but Moore's combo of length, production and athletic ability should stand out.

13. San Diego Chargers - CB Jonathan Banks, Mississippi State

It always seems like the Chargers can go in a lot of different directions with their first round pick. I like the fit of a Justin Hunter here but they have some young WR's they like with Brown coming back from injury. Hankins maybe. OL maybe but don't love the value. Banks is a much needed replacement for Quinton Jammer.

14. Miami Dolphins - WR Keenan Allen, Cal

Hard to say how much his production dip and recent injury will affect his stock but his talent is evident whenever you watch him play. WR is obviously a glaring issue for the Phins. Between he and Justin Hunter, I think Allen is really good fit in Philbin/Sherman's offense.

15. New Orleans Saints - DT Jonathan Hankins, Ohio State

I think they have something with Akiem Hicks so I'm reluctant to give them a DT over a DE but I really think Hankins is the best value here. With his quickness, he can easily play the 3 (actually where I like him most). His burst and balance are super impressive for his size. Saints management in the past has always favored value over forcing immediate needs early but whether the same management will still be in place in unknown.

16. Dallas Cowboys - OLB Barkevious Mingo, LSU

Not as high on Mingo as others. He's been pretty underwhelming this year and I wonder if he can be a down DE in a 43. Not to say he can't be a lot better but he reminds me of Manny Lawson. He's a great athlete with great length. Dallas needs to improve their O-Line and Warmack would be tempting as would Elam/Reid but an athlete like Mingo opposite of Ware would be tough to pass on especially with Spencer heading into free agency.

17. Arizona Cardinals - QB Matt Barkley, USC

Barkley's 'fall' ends here. Not the best QB to put behind such a deficient O-Line but he will be hard for them to pass - especially without an OT with good value available at this spot. Could go with Warmack but it's tough to justify passing on a QB for a guard. I kind of have this idea in my mind that Whis likes big, big armed QB's like Ben and Skelton but at the same time, he rode Warner and went out and got Kolb so I'm not sure if that's true. I think it's possible that someone like Dysert or Manuel could overtake Barkley but I'm sticking with him for now.

18. Detroit Lions - DE Bjoern Werner, Florida State

Avril's future is up in the air and KVB is getting old. Big fan of the fit, both the player and the scheme. I like Warmack here too.

19. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - CB Xavier Rhodes, Florida State

If he can run 4.55 or under, he should be an early pick. Probably the closest thing to a 'shutdown CB' in college football this year. Excellent combo of size, strength and ball skills. Could definitely go DE here as well.

20. Minnesota Vikings - WR Justin Hunter, Tennessee

Some DT's and guards I like a lot here but the passing game deficiencies need to be addressed. Give Ponder every opportunity to succeed.

21. New York Giants - DT Sheldon Richardson, Missouri

I'm a little reluctant to go OL over DT just given that they notoriously take D-Lineman early and are willing to wait on offensive lineman. Going back and forth between Warmack and a DT here. Ended up going with the DT. Similar to Marvin Austin but actually a good player. He's always had a ton of talent but his consistency and motor have really improved this year. Should be a fast riser when he runs 4.7 at 295+.

22. Seattle Seahawks - WR Cordarrelle Patterson, Tennessee

Two drafts in and we've already learned to expect the unexpected with Pete. The defense is strong and young and the general lack of talent at WR has been the most noticeable issue for this team. Cordarrelle is a ways as away as a pure WR but I can't remember remember a guy who was as elusive as he is at his size since......? One of those guys who'll they have to be patient on his development but he's just so talented and is one of those guys you need to manufacture opportunities to get the ball in his hands.

23. Pittsburgh Steelers - LB CJ Mosley, Alabama

I guess people said this with Hightower too but his just feels like a perfect fit. Mosley might be the most well-rounded LB Saban's had since he's been at Bama.

24. Denver Broncos - DE Tank Carradine, Florida State

Another Seminole. Denver has been forced to play their 2nd round pick at DE on early downs because they don't have a DE who can adequately fill that role. I think Tank may go even earlier than this if he tests as well as some anticipate. He has the size, strength and length to be a strongside base end but those physical attributes will also allow them to kick him inside when Von comes down to rush. Physically, I see a lot of similarities to Tuck.

25. Indianapolis Colts - G Chance Warmack, Alabama

I'd like to see them improve that D-Line but Warmack is a great value here. He's been one of my favorites since last season and it's pretty exciting to see him getting all this recognition. He doesn't have ideal size and isn't going wow anyone with his athleticism so he may drop a little lower than he is tape would indicate he should.

26. New England Patriots - DT Sylvester Williams, North Carolina

Pats can go in a ton of different directions as usual. Secondary, OL and even WR stand out this year. Given the board, I like Williams' fit here. Can play both spots inside in an even front and end in an odd front. Kyle Love has turned into a quality player for the Pats and big Vince is aging but still going strong. Still, I feel as they could use another big, athletic body in the mix who can give them flexibility. Initially I thought Williams was just another UNC defender ESPN was overrating but I've come away really impressed each time I've watched him. Athletic, plays with good leverage and knows how to use his hands. But with the Pats, who knows.

27. Green Bay Packers - S Matt Elam, Florida

Will get devalued a bit because of his size but Elam is just a flat out playmaker. First thing that stands out is he's very physical. He's always around the ball making plays. Former stud RB recruit in HS so you know he's an athlete. His man coverage skills in the slot are very impressive as well. Maybe not the best DB prospect, but I think he might be the best DB in this draft. Some prefer Eric Reid but Elam's play has been a cut above this year.

28. San Francisco 49ers - CB Dee Milliner, Alabama

Personally, I'm not as high on Milliner as others appear to be. It's not that I don't think he's a quality cover man, more so that I just don't see any stand out traits. San Fran has the ability to go BPA here and Milliner is likely that. Really like his fit on this team.

29. Baltimore Ravens - LB Arthur Brown, Kansas State

I feel like every other mock I've seen this joining this site has had the Ravens taking an ILB. Unfortunately, Ray Lewis is mortal after all. Dannelle Ellerbe has actually had a very solid year as his replacement but we need to get faster on defense, specifically in the front seven. Arthur isn't a traditional 3-4 ILB because of his size but the game is changing. We're seeing more and more teams look for athletes inside of their 3-4. Darryl Washington is the posterboy but Bruce Carter and Sean Lee are both guys who look very good who no one would have likely pegged as fits in a 3-4. Adding Arthur would go along ways to improving the overall speed of what's honestly a relatively slow front seven.

30. Chicago Bears - OL DJ Fluker, Alabama

Same thing I just said about the Ravens could probably be said about the Bears and O-Lineman. Although I would be curious to see Fluker at tackle, I think he has the ability to be an elite guard with his size, power and surprising flexibility. Obviously a legit LT who can pass protect would be ideal but I don't see that guy available. I thought about Lewan but Michigan O-Line never leave early. I'm not really sold on his pass protection skills anyway. Maybe there will be another guy who will emerge. The interior O-Line isn't much stronger at Fluker is a plug-and-play at either guard spot. Kevin Minter from LSU is a guy who might be appealing here. Athletic, aggressive, can play inside or outside. Also considered Dallas Thomas from Tennessee but I really think Fluker is capable of being an elite starter inside.

31. Atlanta Falcons - DT Jesse Williams, Alabama

Defense has really stepped up this year but I see room for improvement across that D-Line. A pass rushing DE might be the most apparent need and Sam Montgomery is on the board. Problem is, Sam is stiff and might not be that pass rushing presence they need. Maybe I'm undervaluing him although he was the other guy I considered at this spot. I just like the physical element Williams brings to the middle of that defense. Could be a rock in there at that 1-tech spot working behind Babs, eventually taking over that starting role.

32. Houston Texans - LB Alec Ogletree, Georgia

If I felt Lewan was declaring, he might be an ideal fit for them at RT. Despite the success of their offense, their O-Line has been able to maintain the same level of play they had before they lost a few of their starters. Cushing should bounce back fine after that torn ACL but they could use someone athletic next to him. I don't love Ogletree inside a 3-4 because he struggles to work through traffic but same thing I said in the Ravens explanation about athletic, undersized 34 ILB's holds true here. He's a great athlete, great in coverage and really thrives in space. Perfect guy to pair with Cush.

Just missed: Tavon Austin, Anthony Barr, Kevin Minter, Jordan Poyer, Sam Montgomery, Dallas Thomas

Last edited by TACKLE : 11-18-2012 at 04:58 AM.
TACKLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:15 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Like the Williams pick for the Pats but would be really tempted to grab Milliner there. Also ****** that Warmack went one spot higher.

But I gotta take issue with Glennon at #1. The guy has the physical tools to be that high but he just isn't accurate enough and can't handle pressure at all. He may sneak into the first but unless he really wows during the offseason it would be an understatement to say I would be shocked

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:48 AM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntoinCD View Post
Like the Williams pick for the Pats but would be really tempted to grab Milliner there. Also ****** that Warmack went one spot higher.

But I gotta take issue with Glennon at #1. The guy has the physical tools to be that high but he just isn't accurate enough and can't handle pressure at all. He may sneak into the first but unless he really wows during the offseason it would be an understatement to say I would be shocked
I just about gave them Milliner. It came down to him and Williams (though I was a tempted to give them Tavon.)

Maybe I'm out to lunch about Glennon. I'm just riding a feeling right now. I'm not necessarily down on him but I'm certainly not one who thinks he warrants a pick that high. One of those guys whose whole is less than the sum of his parts. At the same time, trait-by-trait, one could make an argument that he is the most complete package other than his lack of mobility. He's one of if not the most refined QB's mechanically in this draft who is also supposedly very smart (though his decision making sometimes indicates otherwise) and has ideal size and arm strength. I just think some teams are going to convince themselves his issues are correctable because of his perceived upside. At this moment in time, I think Glennon, Geno and Wilson emerge as the top 3 guys and of those three, at this moment in time Glennon is the one I can see Scott Pioli taking.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:03 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACKLE View Post
I just about gave them Milliner. It came down to him and Williams (though I was a tempted to give them Tavon.)

Maybe I'm out to lunch about Glennon. I'm just riding a feeling right now. I'm not necessarily down on him but I'm certainly not one who thinks he warrants a pick that high. One of those guys whose whole is less than the sum of his parts. At the same time, trait-by-trait, one could make an argument that he is the most complete package other than his lack of mobility. He's one of if not the most refined QB's mechanically in this draft who is also supposedly very smart (though his decision making sometimes indicates otherwise) and has ideal size and arm strength. I just think some teams are going to convince themselves his issues are correctable because of his perceived upside. At this moment in time, I think Glennon, Geno and Wilson emerge as the top 3 guys and of those three, at this moment in time Glennon is the one I can see Scott Pioli taking.
Yeah I can definitely see some one absolutely falling in love with the guy and taking him early-ish. To me he is so reminiscent of Joe Flacco. Great size, great arm, can make throws every NFL QB needs to make but also throws that most QBs wish they could make. I mean the guy can really get it out there to the far side of the field. However, and I know his WRs are a pile of crap, but I see too many balls that are simply poorly thrown or tough to catch. Maybe he needs some strong coaching and someone to kinda reign him in a little. If you can get him to play within himself then he can be a good one, however you don't want him to be all cavalier like and try to win games with crazy throws. He also really needs to learn how to take some juice off the ball on his dump offs.

To me is has by far the highest upside of the draft eligible QBs, and I mean by far! Although I also think he is pretty risky. I tend to think the Chiefs may go with a guy like Wilson over Glennon for the simple reason that he may never be a great QB, however he should be at worst steady and that's a big upgrade over Cassell and Quinn, and realistically at this point the Chiefs don't necessarily need a stud, they just need someone who isn't a liability. In an ideal situation they could take someone who could be both but I don't see that guy in this draft. Glennon is likely someone who will be worse before he gets better in the NFL. I'm not sure Pioli's leash will be that long if he keeps his job and will therefore need a guy who can play at a certain level almost immediately

Old 11-18-2012, 06:56 AM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Love the Steelers pick. It'd be hilarious to see Barkley fall to Arizona. Following Leinart step by step.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig
Smooth Criminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:47 AM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hankins to NO suits me just fine.

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack
CJSchneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:48 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If the Jets draft Dion Jordan, I'd hope that Rex and Pettine would still be around because I'd love to see how they'd use him. I think Jordan's got a ton of pass rushing potential but with his skill set he can be used all over the place and I do think that Rex would be able to do that effectively.

As a follow up question, he's obviously a unique player who does all sorts of things on the field that we rarely see someone his size do. I think there's two ways to see his value, and maybe it'll depend on a team by team basis. One is that you can have him do all of the same stuff he does in college playing all over the field, but he'll continue to develop in some areas and you just have the ultimate chess piece in a way. He's a guy who can develop a ton as a pass rusher and obviously you can use him in coverage. I think he's a really interesting option to try to cover the tight ends we're seeing now in the league since he has really ideal size for it, crazy movement skills for someone his size, and he's comfortable covering. On the other hand, pass rushers are obviously at a premium in the league right now and given all of the things he can do in the field there's a lot of reasons to think his pass rushing upside is immense. He shows a natural inclination for it anyway and has been fairly productive even though he spends a lot of snaps doing other things. Plus if he adds a little bulk he's got really nice functional strength already, great length, and again with the movement skills that he uses all over the field. So I guess my long winded question is obviously you're a huge fan, how do you see him being used in the league?
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:28 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

I am a big fan of Dion Jordan. As for his NFL career it all really depends on where he goes. I would really hate it if he went to a defense where he was pegged as a certain type of guy. For instance, if he went to a defense like the Lions system he could have some success but a lot of what he does well would be wasted. He could line up at the 9 and rush off the edge successfully but you lose so much in other areas.

I would love him to go somewhere with a creative defensive coach. He would be frightening across from Ware in Dallas and I think he would be great in Indy. Let him stand up 70 to 80% of the time and use him in a myriad of ways. Rush him, let him man up on TEs, get a jam on slot guys and cover the flat, hell try him at MLB and let him cover the deep middle, blitz him from any angle. He is a jack of all trades type of player. Often times that is a criticism because guys like that aren't necessarily great at any one particular thing, however with Jordan I can only see it as a plus.

The guy isn't JPP. He shouldn't be used in that way, however he is as versatile a weapon as I can remember and his upside is through the roof.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:06 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

TACKLE.. you make me so sad. You couldn't just give us Tyler Wilson, could you? YOU MADE THIS SIG! You made it! WHY DO YOU DO THIS TO ME? WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?!

On a more serious note, I would be shocked (and pissed) if Pioli is here next year. I don't trust him to evaluate QBs, and even if he could (which he can't), I don't trust him to actually draft one.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **

Last edited by vidae : 11-18-2012 at 09:09 AM.
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:24 AM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I can understand your reasoning with Sylvester Williams (and a player like Williams could be an option if the Patriots decide to move back to a three-man front), but I can't see New England passing on the likes of Dee Milliner or Sam Montgomery at that point. Milliner shouldn't even be on the board and may be the best fit for the Patriots regardless of position.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:40 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntoinCD View Post
I am a big fan of Dion Jordan. As for his NFL career it all really depends on where he goes. I would really hate it if he went to a defense where he was pegged as a certain type of guy. For instance, if he went to a defense like the Lions system he could have some success but a lot of what he does well would be wasted. He could line up at the 9 and rush off the edge successfully but you lose so much in other areas.

I would love him to go somewhere with a creative defensive coach. He would be frightening across from Ware in Dallas and I think he would be great in Indy. Let him stand up 70 to 80% of the time and use him in a myriad of ways. Rush him, let him man up on TEs, get a jam on slot guys and cover the flat, hell try him at MLB and let him cover the deep middle, blitz him from any angle. He is a jack of all trades type of player. Often times that is a criticism because guys like that aren't necessarily great at any one particular thing, however with Jordan I can only see it as a plus.

The guy isn't JPP. He shouldn't be used in that way, however he is as versatile a weapon as I can remember and his upside is through the roof.
I don't disagree with anything here, I absolutely hope he goes somewhere with a creative defensive coach as well. I guess the issue there is since he's a better fit for that kind of a team, but he could be really good for basically any team - he just wouldn't be doing everything that he could be. We've seen it before when you hope a player goes to a certain kind of scheme and then a team that runs a different scheme drafts him anyway. You also alluded to something that I think is key - his fit in Dallas would be great because he wouldn't NEED to be a pass rusher. Obviously he's a good pass rusher, but if a team drafts him without a pass rusher I think it creates a need for him to get after the quarterback when he can do so much more.

That's my one problem with him as a fit for the Jets. Barring more development from Coples who looks like another eh first round pick, if they draft Dion Jordan he probably steps in day 1 as their best pass rusher. Now he'd also be their best coverage linebacker and I'd hope that they'd use him in a myriad of ways, but it is a bit of a concern. I like what you said about him being a jack of all trades but not in a bad way. Often those guys are serviceable in all areas. To me Jordan can almost do whatever you could possibly want a linebacker to do if he continues to develop. Nearly uncapped upside. It's scary.

Last edited by derza222 : 11-18-2012 at 09:42 AM.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:48 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
I don't disagree with anything here, I absolutely hope he goes somewhere with a creative defensive coach as well. I guess the issue there is since he's a better fit for that kind of a team, but he could be really good for basically any team - he just wouldn't be doing everything that he could be. We've seen it before when you hope a player goes to a certain kind of scheme and then a team that runs a different scheme drafts him anyway. You also alluded to something that I think is key - his fit in Dallas would be great because he wouldn't NEED to be a pass rusher. Obviously he's a good pass rusher, but if a team drafts him without a pass rusher I think it creates a need for him to get after the quarterback when he can do so much more.

That's my one problem with him as a fit for the Jets. Barring more development from Coples who looks like another eh first round pick, if they draft Dion Jordan he probably steps in day 1 as their best pass rusher. Now he'd also be their best coverage linebacker and I'd hope that they'd use him in a myriad of ways, but it is a bit of a concern. I like what you said about him being a jack of all trades but not in a bad way. Often those guys are serviceable in all areas. To me Jordan can almost do whatever you could possibly want a linebacker to do if he continues to develop. Nearly uncapped upside. It's scary.
As a draft fan it really frustrates me how many times a player is drafted into a scheme he doesn't fit. Jerry Hughes was being talked about as a potential stud OLB yet the Colts drafted him to play in their then Tampa 2 scheme. Only now they are more of a hybrid defense is he starting to play ok.

I agree about Jordan going to a team with a top rusher already. If teams can key on Jordan the pass rusher they will be able to reduce his effectiveness. However, if he gets used similarly to Justin Houston in KC across from Hali I think he can be a stud. While a lot of people are calling for Houston to be used more as a pass rusher that kind of balance would be perfect for Jordan. Any team that likes to disguise what they do up front will love him. But I really hope he isn't drafted to be a base end in a 4 man line, that would be a horrible use of him

Old 11-18-2012, 10:50 AM    (permalink
Cigaro
All-NFLDC

Location: Two-thirds of the Earth is covered by water, the other one-third is covered by Luke Kuechly
Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Defensive tackle has basically become the automatic selection in mocks, but we desperately need offensive line help and if Lotulelei was gone, I'd have no problem at all with Joeckel.

Sig by Matthew Jones
Cigaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:16 AM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really like that Ravens pick. A future ILB tandem of Brown and Ellerbe/McClain (I think they will re-sign Ellerbe after this season) would work pretty well in my opinion. I'm kind of surprised you didn't go with Minter though.
coordinator0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:17 AM    (permalink
Pat Sims 90
All-Pro

Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Moore will have to beef up if the Bengals are to draft him.

RIP themaninblack
Pat Sims 90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:38 PM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
If the Jets draft Dion Jordan, I'd hope that Rex and Pettine would still be around because I'd love to see how they'd use him. I think Jordan's got a ton of pass rushing potential but with his skill set he can be used all over the place and I do think that Rex would be able to do that effectively.

As a follow up question, he's obviously a unique player who does all sorts of things on the field that we rarely see someone his size do. I think there's two ways to see his value, and maybe it'll depend on a team by team basis. One is that you can have him do all of the same stuff he does in college playing all over the field, but he'll continue to develop in some areas and you just have the ultimate chess piece in a way. He's a guy who can develop a ton as a pass rusher and obviously you can use him in coverage. I think he's a really interesting option to try to cover the tight ends we're seeing now in the league since he has really ideal size for it, crazy movement skills for someone his size, and he's comfortable covering. On the other hand, pass rushers are obviously at a premium in the league right now and given all of the things he can do in the field there's a lot of reasons to think his pass rushing upside is immense. He shows a natural inclination for it anyway and has been fairly productive even though he spends a lot of snaps doing other things. Plus if he adds a little bulk he's got really nice functional strength already, great length, and again with the movement skills that he uses all over the field. So I guess my long winded question is obviously you're a huge fan, how do you see him being used in the league?
Although they are complete opposite body types, it's the same question we had with Melvin Ingram - is his value as a pass rusher or is his value as a chess piece. With Ingram, he always was going to have limitations as a pass rusher because of his lack of length that with him, I think as a prospect he did hold more value as that chess piece. Jordan on the other hand has the ideal frame and athleticism, has immense potential as a pass rusher as you said. At the same time I really think he has the athleticism and movement in space to be a stand up in a 43 or 34 and is a guy you could lock up on TE's downfield all game long. But because he is so long, so athletic and bends so well for a guy his size, I think him reaching his peak value as a player will be because of what he does as a pass rusher. He has the potential to be an Adalius Thomas or the potential to be a Simeon Rice. If I'm the team that drafts him, I'd probably prefer the latter.

How do I see him being used? As AntoinCD said, totally up to the team that drafts him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coordinator0 View Post
I really like that Ravens pick. A future ILB tandem of Brown and Ellerbe/McClain (I think they will re-sign Ellerbe after this season) would work pretty well in my opinion. I'm kind of surprised you didn't go with Minter though.
Watching Bruce Carter the other day with the Cowboys has me feeling more confident Arthur can play inside. It did come down to those two and I still like Minter a lot. I just am liking Arthur a lot right now and think his speed and range would be a big boost for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Sims 90 View Post
Moore will have to beef up if the Bengals are to draft him.
I definitely thought about them preferring bigger ends (bigger defensive players all around actually). I would have given them Ansah had he been there. However, the two thoughts I had were this: I think Moore will most likely come to Indy at 6'4 low 260's with long arms which is really not undersized for a DE anymore. The other is sometimes teams look for players outside of the mold of players they already have when they need to upgrade a position. Tank Carradine stood out to me as someone who is physically kind of a typical Bengals DE. I think with Moore's quickness and knack for getting to the QB, he offers something they don't already have on their roster if that makes any sense.

Last edited by TACKLE : 11-18-2012 at 01:57 PM.
TACKLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:18 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

That's really interesting, as I was typing up my post I almost put in something about Ingram but took it out. Definitely agree with your point about him more or less being a rich man's Ingram.
Old 11-18-2012, 02:21 PM    (permalink
Pat Sims 90
All-Pro

Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I definitely thought about them preferring bigger ends (bigger defensive players all around actually). I would have given them Ansah had he been there. However, the two thoughts I had were this: I think Moore will most likely come to Indy at 6'4 low 260's with long arms which is really not undersized for a DE anymore. The other is sometimes teams look for players outside of the mold of players they already have when they need to upgrade a position. Tank Carradine stood out to me as someone who is physically kind of a typical Bengals DE. I think with Moore's quickness and knack for getting to the QB, he offers something they don't already have on their roster if that makes any sense.
If they draft him at 260 they will more then likley turn him into a DE/LB hybrid since Marvin Lewis still has yet to find one.

RIP themaninblack
Pat Sims 90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:31 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like the name of your draft.

The Packers pick is ok. I wouldn't be upset if that happened in April.

RIP themaninblack
SuperPacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:55 PM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPacker View Post
I like the name of your draft.

The Packers pick is ok. I wouldn't be upset if that happened in April.
I didn't mention this in my write-up but with his physicality and his slot cover skills, I think he has the ability to play that Charles Woodson nickel/LB/rover role if it still exists within their defense. Thoughts?
Old 11-18-2012, 02:55 PM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm sorry, but Mike Glennon sucked hard against Tennessee's defense, which is possibly the worst in America. I'll be flabbergasted if he goes early.
Old 11-18-2012, 03:39 PM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by CashmoneyDrew View Post
I'm sorry, but Mike Glennon sucked hard against Tennessee's defense, which is possibly the worst in America. I'll be flabbergasted if he goes early.
It's ok sir, no need to apologize for Tennessee's defense.
Old 11-18-2012, 03:50 PM    (permalink
TitanHope
Website Contributor
All-NFLDC

TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
It's ok sir, no need to apologize for Tennessee's defense.
Well someone should.

[@TDWinstead]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) View Post
Damn Ke$ha is sexy.
TitanHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:00 PM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanHope View Post
Well someone should.
I blame society. They're my go-to scapegoat.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:24 PM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You could throw a dart while blindfolded at a list of every offensive and defensive position for and be guaranteed to hit a need position for Oakland. With that said, I would rather take a guy that can fill a massive hole like OT or pass rusher than take a player I'm not convinced will be an effective starter much less a difference maker at QB. There just isn't a single QB I like as a franchise QB in this draft.

Oldie but a goodie.
nobodyinparticular is online now   Reply With Quote