Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Indianapolis Colts Team Forum

Indianapolis Colts Team Forum Discuss the Colts

Old 11-22-2012, 04:21 AM    (permalink
RCAChainGang
Pro Bowler

RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Draft/Off-Season 2013

EDIT: Title should be 2013

So I came home for thanksgiving break and I just started to look at prospects. I by no means am a draft guru so I thought I'd start this thread and we could collaborate on what we think we will see on draft day.

Needs
Offensive: Oline, Physical WR,
Defensive: DE/OLB, NT, DE(5-Tech), SS, CB

Players
Offensive: First Round: Chance Warmack OG
Defensive: First Round: Dion Jordan DE/OLB, Kawann Short NT, Eric Reid FS, Jonathan Banks CB.

Unfortunately we have traded a lot of picks.
Our Picks: 1, 3, 4, 6(conditional), 7(conditional)

Again by no means am I a draft expert so lets get some conversations started. Happy Thanksgiving guys.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Bill Polian is cancer wrapped in AIDS delivered in an XXL enema so please don't expect me to disagree with you.

Last edited by RCAChainGang : 11-22-2012 at 04:36 AM.
RCAChainGang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:28 AM    (permalink
falloutboy14
Veteran

falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What are our chances at a compensatory pick? Saturday & Clark were our notable FAs correct? I think that Redding/others might count enough against that.

For WR, I think we really just need another #1 type to replace Wayne, unless someone we got can step up into that role.. I'm happy with Hilton/Avery/Brazil at the other spot/slot. It's possible that we have success with a TE-centered offense with Allen & Fleener, and as long as we have the deep threat to stretch the defense we can be successful.

I'm growing on Shipley at center. If one falls in our lap take him, but Castonzo/Reitz/Shipley/???/??? is what we should be working with imo. No clue what's going on with Ijalana, but ready to move on if he doesn't show something next training camp. If we can get a RT in free agency, and use the 3rd or 4th rounder on RG, I think we'd be in a good position moving forward.

For the defensive line, not happy with anyone who's been playing thus far except Redding, and he's 32. It's possible that the players haven't fully grasped the transition to the 3-4 yet. And Pagano being out is perhaps a part of that. I think that finding talent through the draft or FA and using our present starters for depth is a good plan.

Also, what have people though of Hughes the last few weeks? Has he sucked less recently? I'm thinking our draft pick/cap money would be better spent on the D-line and see what Hughes can do in that setting. In short I thnk we could use a Richard Seymour more than a Demarcus Ware.

I think the ILBs are fine going forward. At safety, I wouldn't mind having a 2nd free-safety type. I tend to think once the rest of the defense is in place, we're going to have more issues with the pass than the run. Finding a player who can play centerfield would be better than someone who can thump a running back. Bethea is capable of playing near the LoS if needed.
falloutboy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:51 PM    (permalink
RCAChainGang
Pro Bowler

RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by falloutboy14 View Post
For WR, I think we really just need another #1 type to replace Wayne, unless someone we got can step up into that role.. I'm happy with Hilton/Avery/Brazil at the other spot/slot. It's possible that we have success with a TE-centered offense with Allen & Fleener, and as long as we have the deep threat to stretch the defense we can be successful.
Yeah I think we are fine at waiting a while on WR. I put WR on the list of needs because we will eventually need a replacement to Wayne and it seems we just have a lot of speeders (which isn't bad).

Quote:
I'm growing on Shipley at center. If one falls in our lap take him, but Castonzo/Reitz/Shipley/???/??? is what we should be working with imo. No clue what's going on with Ijalana, but ready to move on if he doesn't show something next training camp. If we can get a RT in free agency, and use the 3rd or 4th rounder on RG, I think we'd be in a good position moving forward.
I haven't been able to see enough games to be sure how everyone is playing. I only know what other fans tell me and what I see from highlights. I agree completely with you on a plan of action though. I think we should pick someone up in free agency and maybe draft someone. I really like the tape I have seen of Warmack.

Quote:
For the defensive line, not happy with anyone who's been playing thus far except Redding, and he's 32. It's possible that the players haven't fully grasped the transition to the 3-4 yet. And Pagano being out is perhaps a part of that. I think that finding talent through the draft or FA and using our present starters for depth is a good plan.
Again I don't get to see the games, but I think there is so much potential in this draf class for defensive lineman and pass rushers. I think my favorite prospect right now is Dion Jordan he seems to be an excellent pass rusher. However, we do need some 5 techs to demand some blocking attention or o pass rusher will end up helping. So yeah I think someone like Seymour would be a huge help.

Quote:
I think the ILBs are fine going forward. At safety, I wouldn't mind having a 2nd free-safety type. I tend to think once the rest of the defense is in place, we're going to have more issues with the pass than the run. Finding a player who can play centerfield would be better than someone who can thump a running back. Bethea is capable of playing near the LoS if needed.
I absolutely agree with you about our ILBs. We need a Safety that is good in coverage. The reason I'm so high on Reid is because he is a smart player. I think he is someone we can be sure to make an impact.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Quote:
Bill Polian is cancer wrapped in AIDS delivered in an XXL enema so please don't expect me to disagree with you.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:56 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The good news is that this draft is deep in positions that we need (DL, OLB, OL). I hope we take advantage.

BTW, what do you guys think about our NTs? I actually think they've held their ground ok. They are nothing special, but I think we can go with them for 1 more year.

Cb is a bigger need then what I thought. Our starters can't stay healthy and aren't all that good to begin with. It's no surprise that we are among the last teams in INTs. We need playmaker(s) in the secondary.

Hughes isn't an every-down player. If Freeney is gone, we'll need another starting OLB.

Today's game vs. Lions further showed weaknesses on our O-Line.

DE is one of the most underrated and valuable positions in 3-4. If you can find a guy who can constantly disrupt plays in the backfield, it gives you a big boost.
MaxV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:39 PM    (permalink
RagingColt
Rookie

RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Johnson has played ok at nt but no one else really sticks out much. Chapman will be basically like a rookie next year but I still think we might go for a late round pick to fill depth. A true pass rushing OLB is a must. Freeny won't be back, Hughes still plays too uneven to be depended on and teams double team Mathis to negate him if Freeny is hurt/not playing. We need upgrades at about every spot for the other positions on our lines. Our interior O-Line blows chunks. Warmack would be a great pick as a 1st rounder if he lasted that long.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:12 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Personally, I'm of opinion that guard position doesn't need to addressed in the 1st round, unless it's a once-a-generation talent.

I don't know if I see Warmack as another Hutchinson.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:59 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Lots of thoughts to post here, hopefully it will be coherent.

Quote:
Needs
Offensive: Oline, Physical WR,
OL is definitely a need. I like Castonzo just fine at LT. I like Shipley a lot and would like him to play C. Other than that, I'm fine with new starters everywhere on the OL. Reitz can't stay on the field. McGlynn is bad. Justice is mediocre and can't stay on the field. Satele is too inconsistent.

There are a few guys in the draft I'm interested in. Chance Warmack is at the top of the list. However, it is a bummer to spend our 1st rounder on a guard and then not pick again til the 3rd. I am also interested in guys like Larry Warford, Travis Frederick (if he declares), Jonathan Cooper, DJ Fluker (RT or guard), Barrett Jones, and Alvin Bailey.

There's also free agency. There are no guards I'm terribly interested in. Louis Vasquez (SD), Shaun Lauvao (CLE), Andre Smith (CIN), and Andy Levitre (BUF) are all decent but nothing great. However at OT there are multiple talented guys in contract years:

Jake Long
Ryan Clady
Duane Brown
Sebastian Vollmer
Branden Albert

As I said I am not looking to replace Castonzo. But with $45 million in cap space it makes sense to upgrade the roster wherever possible. I don't think all of those guys will be available. Some will re-sign and others will be tagged. Hopefully though the Colts have a shot at one of them.

Quote:
Defensive: DE/OLB, NT, DE(5-Tech), SS, CB
I don't know about the order but I agree with the need. Really ILB is the only spot I feel good about on this defense. I am ok with the following players as starters next year:

Redding
possibly Moala (if he can consistently play like he did in his last game)
Mathis
Freeman
Conner/Angerer/Fokou (seriously love the ILB talent we have)
Davis
Bethea

Chapman may be the answer at NT, and I like Mookie and Tevaseu as depth, but if there's a good NT prospect available we can't ignore it. However, with no shot at Lotulelei or Hankins it's basically Jenkins or nobody, and I'm not sure Jenkins is worth our 1st rounder. In free agency Terrance Knighton may become available but he's only played 4-3 DT/NT.

-----

Freeney has not been great as an OLB and I just don't think he ever wanted to play the position. I doubt he will be re-signed and even though he is my favorite Colt I don't think he should be. Hughes, though he has improved, is depth-only material. He will never start, or at least shouldn't.

I love the rush OLB options available in this draft. Jarvis Jenkins, Barkevious Mingo, Bjoern Werner, Dion Jordan, Damontre Moore, Sam Montgomery, Zeek Ansah, Chase Thomas... we'll have a lot of options in the 1st I think. Good options. I think this almost has to be the pick unless there is unbelievable value somewhere else. All but possibly the last two will be gone by the 3rd when we pick. This is a great year to need a pass rusher, but lots of teams need them.

In free agency there is the underrated-but-old Shaun Phillips, Conner Barwin (meh), and... that's about it. It's draft or nothing, which is again why I think we need to draft an OLB in the 1st. Too much talent available, arguably the biggest need, and no options in free agency.

-----

As I mentioned earlier, I like Redding and Moala as starters if Moala can play like he was during the Bills game. I think he improved this year. However, Redding is old and gets hurt a lot, and Moala is no pro bower. If the Colts went after Randy Starks (MIA) to play DE I would not be upset, he'd be an upgrade over either of our starters.

In the draft there's Sheldon Richardson, Kawaan Short (I don't see him as a NT), Shariff Floyd, and I think that's about it. I've heard good things about Richardson but nothing to make me want him more than one of the OLBs. Short and Floyd are ok prospects but nothing I'm super excited about. I don't expect this position to get much stronger.

-----

We definitely need CBs. Davis will be good and Butler may be the NB of the future but Vaughn is a backup, Powers won't be re-signed, and the rest of the guys are just JAGs. Too bad we gave up picks (albeit low ones) to get some of them. However, there aren't any CBs in this draft that make me want to burn a 1st. Especially when you look at free agency...

Brent Grimes (ATL)
Sean Smith (MIA)
Quinten Jammer (SD)
Sam Shields (GB)
DRC (Philly)
Tracy Porter (NO)
Derek Cox (JAX)

We need to put some of that $45 million toward one of those guys. I think the CB value in this draft is in the mid rounds.

At safety, there are a few options. In free agency you've got

William Moore (ATL)
Jairus Byrd (BUF)
LaRon Landry (NYJ)
Louis Delmas (DET)

Any of those guys (especially Moore, I'm a big fan) paired with Bethea makes the backfield instantly very dangerous. Bethea can play either S position so it comes down to available talent. No need to look for SS only.

In the draft, I do really like Eric Reid. Robert Lester too, if he falls to the 3rd. TJ McDonald, Kenny Vacarro, and Bacari Rambo are also all solid options. I think the Colts will have a better starter at S to play w/Bethea next year. Too many options and Zbikowski sucks too bad to leave it alone.

Well this post has turned into a book. Hopefully it makes sense. Let me know what you guys think. This season has been exciting, but it's also very exciting to think about how much better we can be next year!

i done stole dis sig
killxswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:48 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

At this point, Bethea might be better off playing closer to the line of scrimmage.

He seems to have lost a step in coverage, but still supports the run as well as ever.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:09 PM    (permalink
chad72
Rookie

chad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair
Default True

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxV View Post
At this point, Bethea might be better off playing closer to the line of scrimmage.

He seems to have lost a step in coverage, but still supports the run as well as ever.
Yep, Bethea plays like a strong safety now. That is why a draft pick like Eric Reid makes sense.

We gave up a 2nd and a conditional 6th for Vontae Davis.

Conditional 6th rounders are normally based on playing time, early conditional picks are based on players making Pro Bowl, at least that is my educated guess.

So, I'd go like this:

Round 1: Eric Reid, FS, LSU

Round 3: Bennett Jackson, CB, Notre Dame

Round 4: Lerentee McCray, OLB, Florida

Round 6: Alex Hurst, 6'6", 331, LSU/John Wetzel, 6'7", 308, Boston College (I love Boston College guys for O-line :), they produce good NFL OLs)

Of course, for Garcon, Saturday and Clark, I expect a 5th, 6th & 7th rounder as compensatory picks. Garcon is a high impact free agent. When Edge left, we got a 3rd round compensatory pick, the highest that you can get. Because Garcon is injured, a 5th is what I am expecting. Saturday is the center for a playoff bound team, so a 6th at least is in order. Clark has had the least impact and a 7th rounder at best, much like Punter Smith.

Last edited by chad72 : 12-12-2012 at 10:18 PM.
chad72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:03 PM    (permalink
Cardinal96
Rookie

Cardinal96 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cardinal96 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cardinal96 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cardinal96 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cardinal96 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cardinal96 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cardinal96 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cardinal96 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cardinal96 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cardinal96 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cardinal96 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad72 View Post
Yep, Bethea plays like a strong safety now. That is why a draft pick like Eric Reid makes sense.

Conditional 6th rounders are normally based on playing time, early conditional picks are based on players making Pro Bowl, at least that is my educated guess.

So, I'd go like this:

Round 6: Alex Hurst, 6'6", 331, LSU/John Wetzel, 6'7", 308, Boston College (I love Boston College guys for O-line :), they produce good NFL OLs)

Of course, for Garcon, Saturday and Clark, I expect a 5th, 6th & 7th rounder as compensatory picks. Garcon is a high impact free agent. When Edge left, we got a 3rd round compensatory pick, the highest that you can get. Because Garcon is injured, a 5th is what I am expecting. Saturday is the center for a playoff bound team, so a 6th at least is in order. Clark has had the least impact and a 7th rounder at best, much like Punter Smith.
Vontae Davis has really impressed me so far. I think giving up a 2nd round and conditional 6th round pick is a good trade for him.
Cardinal96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:05 PM    (permalink
Seamus2602
Veteran

Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

So, I'd go like this:

The Colts have also signed a fair amount of Free Agents so there aren't a huge amount they are going to get through comp picks. Additionally Dallas Clark wasn't a free agent. He was cut.

Jeff Saturday and Sampson Satele cancel each other out. Both starters with similar contracts ($3.8M compared to $3.6M).

Of the remainder the Colts had 5 Free Agents and signed 5 Free Agents. The total yearly cost of the contracts of the Colts' free agents was about $14M. The free agents the Colts signed are worth about $8M. So the Colts may get something but it will be limited and purely for Garcon (who hasn't exactly had the sort of stellar year that prompts high comp picks).

I'd expect nothing greater than a 5th or 6th rounder and only that.

In Football the object is for the Field General to be on target with his aerial assault, riddling the Defence by hitting his Receivers with deadly accuracy, in spite of the Blitz, even if he has to use the Shotgun. With short bullet passes and long bombs he marches his troops into enemy territory, balancing this aerial assault with a sustained ground attack which punches holes in the forward wall of the enemy’s Defensive Line.

In Baseball the object is to go home and be safe.
Seamus2602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:59 AM    (permalink
Bob Sanders Dreadlock
Pro Bowler

Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

So, I'd go like this:

...No just no...

Colts Cardinals Bulls Hurricanes
Bob Sanders Dreadlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:28 AM    (permalink
falloutboy14
Veteran

falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think any draft prediction should bear in mind that we have ~30m or so to pick up a few free agent starters. Its impossible to say who will be available in FA, and where will be the wise positions to spend money. If we get 2 starting caliber offensive linemen and a 5-tech, I'd be ok with a secondary heavy draft.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:15 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's closer to $50 million than $30 million. And it's not really impossible, it's easy to find out who is in a contract year, and we can guess at who will and won't be re-signed.

I doubt the Dolphins can afford to keep Sean Smith, Jake Long, and Randy Starks, so whoever they have to let walk, we should sign.

i done stole dis sig
Old 12-13-2012, 07:47 PM    (permalink
RagingColt
Rookie

RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Here's a list of players compiled by Phil Wilson of the Star who are in contract years/unsigned for 2013. Players in Bold are ones I doubt will be resigned or shouldn't be.

Colts contract years (position, player name, 2012 cap hit)

OLB Dwight Freeney $19 million
RT Winston Justice $1.5 million
CB Jerraud Powers $1.477 million
WR Austin Collie $1.417 million
P Pat McAfee $1.323 million
DT Fili Moala $900,000
QB Drew Stanton $750,000
WR Donnie Avery $615,000
LB Moise Fokou $615,000
OL Jeff Linkenbach $546,667
CB Cassius Vaughn $540,000
OG Seth Olsen $540,000
CB Josh Gordy $540,000
DT Ricardo Mathews $540,000
LG Joe Reitz $540,000
NT Martin Tevaseu $465,000
LB A.J. Edds $465,000
LB Scott Lutrus $465,000

Guys who weren’t with the team full season
CB Darius Butler
DE Clifton Geathers
DE Lawrence Guy
DT Kellen Heard
OT Tony Hills
S Delano Howell
RB Deji Karim
RB Mewelde Moore
TE Weslye Saunders
OT Bradley Sowell
WR Nathan Palmer
LB Jamaal Westerman
CB Teddy Williams

Of those, Pat the Punter should be #1 to be resigned as I agree with Phil. Avery would be welcomed back for a one year deal, I don't think sinking $ on him to a long term deal is necessarily good considering his injury history. I'm ok with Stanton as a backup for another year. Reitz and Linken could come back to compete for spots assuming we draft a few lineman. Same goes for Matthews and Fili.

O-Line and D-Lines really need addressed in the draft/FA. We still have too many needs to be all filled in another off season.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:50 PM    (permalink
Seamus2602
Veteran

Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Assuming a $120.9M cap, I have the Colts sitting at the moment with 41 players signed and $50.6M in cap room. Now a certain amount of that will be used to sign Rookies ($3-4M depending where the Colts finish in the playoffs). There may also be a certain amount of dead cap from cuts and trades (though no one big got this so this can be no more than a $1M or so, if even anywhere near that). So there should be somewhere in the region of $45M to sign free agents.

In Football the object is for the Field General to be on target with his aerial assault, riddling the Defence by hitting his Receivers with deadly accuracy, in spite of the Blitz, even if he has to use the Shotgun. With short bullet passes and long bombs he marches his troops into enemy territory, balancing this aerial assault with a sustained ground attack which punches holes in the forward wall of the enemy’s Defensive Line.

Old 12-13-2012, 11:54 PM    (permalink
Seamus2602
Veteran

I would also argue going into next season the Colts need 12 starters (4 on Offense [3 of whom are on the line], 6 on Defense, and 2 on Special Teams): They are:

Offense

Offensive Tackle (either a RT, or a LT and move Castonzo)
2 Offensive Guards
Wide Receiver (preferably a big red zone threat)

Defense

5-Tech
Nose Tackle (maybe Chapman)
Rush Linebacker
Cornerback
Nickleback (Vaughn is a RFA so he may fit here)
Strong Safety

Special Teams

Punter
Snapper (Overton is a RFA so this is easy enough)

Old 12-14-2012, 02:52 AM    (permalink
RCAChainGang
Pro Bowler

I think at this point a Pass Rusher is our biggest need. Dion Jordan I think has the best motor of the likely available people at our draft spot. I'm not sure Ansah would be a stud rookie, but he has a ton of upside. Crossing my fingers for Jordan/Jones/Montgomery/Mingo to fall

Sig by BoneKrusher
Quote:
Old 12-14-2012, 07:18 AM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

I don't think we need a starting WR.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:45 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus2602 View Post
I would also argue going into next season the Colts need 12 starters (4 on Offense [3 of whom are on the line], 6 on Defense, and 2 on Special Teams): They are:

Offense

Offensive Tackle (either a RT, or a LT and move Castonzo)
2 Offensive Guards
Wide Receiver (preferably a big red zone threat)
Agree about a tackle and 2 OGs. I am hoping we pry Jake Long away from the Dolphins. The question then would be, is he a LT or RT? To me though it doesn't matter that much, both positions are important and there aren't going to be that many available good OLmen in free agency. Most will be re-signed or tagged by their current teams. Even if we have a shot at Warmack in the draft I am not sure I want to burn our 1st on a guard when we don't have a 2nd rounder.

I would not mind bringing in Bowe or Jennings at WR. Or even Danny Amendola. But I don't think WR is nearly the need that OL is.

Quote:
Defense

5-Tech
Nose Tackle (maybe Chapman)
Rush Linebacker
Cornerback
Nickleback (Vaughn is a RFA so he may fit here)
Strong Safety
I think we could stand to upgrade DE, but if we go into next season with Redding and Moala as starters I don't think that is bad. Redding is the leader this defense needs, and Moala has really improved. I like our DE depth just fine. This is not a huge need IMO, but if say Randy Starks hit free agency I could see us going after him.

And as much as I wanted Star Lotulelei when I thought the Colts would have a top 10 pick, I think we are fine at NT. Mookie and Tevaseu have held the position down fine. We will get two "new" guys at NT in Chapman and McKinney next year. Terrance Knighton is the only real option in free agency and I don't want to burn an early pick on NT. I think the starter at NT next year is already on the roster, and like DE I like our depth. I've seen real improvement from many of our DLmen this year.

Rush OLB is the biggest need on defense, maybe the #1 need overall. Freeney has improved his run defense this year but he is not getting to the QB. All the close games aren't helping but he also just isn't a good fit. Anthony Spencer and Connor Barwin are the top FA options but I'm not really interested. I am with RCA, I hope for one of the premier pass rushers to fall to us. It's a deep class so I think there's a good chance.
[/quote]

Quote:
Special Teams

Punter
Huh? If we re-sign McAfee (why the hell wouldn't we?) we are beyond set at punter.

i done stole dis sig
Old 12-14-2012, 11:26 AM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

1. OG ... we can't go with the same group next year, just can't
2. OLB ... not enough pass rush
3. SS ... playmakers in the secondary are needed
4. RT ... I can live with Justice for one more year, but not much longer then that
5. CB ... Davis is a starter. Vaughn and Butler are more of NBs. Depth is mediocre
6. DE ... Our current guys are good against the run, but it would help to get someone who can rush the passer
Old 12-14-2012, 02:37 PM    (permalink
chad72
Rookie

chad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Free agency:

I think money in free agency spent on DL and OL has the best bang for the buck since it takes more time for DL and OL to transition to the NFL than any other positions, especially OG and DT.

My free agent likes:

Dashon Goldson, S, 49ers; Keenan Lewis, CB, Steelers

Matt Slauson, OG, Jets; Louis Vasquez, OG, Chargers (both fit Arians' man blocking schemes)

Richard Seymour, DE/DT (depends on how much he wants)

Anthony Spencer, OLB (most likely Freeney is gone because he will want 4-3 DE money and not 3-4 OLB money, Freeney probably goes to the Falcons or Saints, IMO)

Skill positions, pass rushers - all or most should come from the draft, IMO. For some reason, once the WRs and RBs get their money, their production never lives up to the same level like they did when they were hungrier and playing for that contract. Hence, our best bet is still draft for those.
chad72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:50 PM    (permalink
RCAChainGang
Pro Bowler

Yeah I'm really hoping we can just address the secondary with FA. LaRon LAndry would be somebody I would like to see on the Colts. And if Sean Smith or DRC aren't resigned I would love to see one of them a Colt.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Quote:
Old 12-14-2012, 07:03 PM    (permalink
falloutboy14
Veteran

We also should look into getting Vontae Davis a new deal this off-season. Maybe we can get a minor discount since we got one more year on the cheap and he'll want some guaranteed money.

I'm pretty pleased with the receiving options moving forward. Hilton looks like a #2 at worst and we're only at the end of his first season. I think he, Fleener, and Allen can get the job done assuming the pass protection is there. If we do lose Brown this off-season or next, I'd love to get a Darren Sproles type though.

Last edited by falloutboy14 : 12-14-2012 at 07:24 PM.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:47 PM    (permalink
Seamus2602
Veteran

Quote:
Huh? If we re-sign McAfee (why the hell wouldn't we?) we are beyond set at punter.
I agree. But as things currently stand we haven't resigned him yet and until we do I'm listing it as a need.