Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 12-02-2012, 07:28 PM    (permalink
Cigaro
All-NFLDC

Location: Two-thirds of the Earth is covered by water, the other one-third is covered by Luke Kuechly
Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I read Young Stalin. Extremely interesting if you're into European history, otherwise I guess I can see a skip. Nonetheless, after that I read Blood Meridian, and dear god is that a dark book. Very worth reading, but at the same time very dark.

Sig by Matthew Jones

Last edited by Cigaro : 12-02-2012 at 07:32 PM.
Cigaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:30 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

forgot about this thread.

recent books I've finished:

Haunted by Chuck Palahniuk
Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:34 PM    (permalink
Cigaro
All-NFLDC

Location: Two-thirds of the Earth is covered by water, the other one-third is covered by Luke Kuechly
Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
forgot about this thread.

recent books I've finished:

Haunted by Chuck Palahniuk
Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy
Any thoughts after Blood Meridian? I realized once I met the judge I was in for one helluva dark ride.

Sig by Matthew Jones
Old 12-02-2012, 07:39 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigaro View Post
Any thoughts after Blood Meridian? I realized once I met the judge I was in for one helluva dark ride.
I think The Judge is one of my favorite characters ever. Also, that book is so goddamn violent, I love it.

Old 12-02-2012, 07:55 PM    (permalink
Dr. Gonzo
Icon

Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What did you think about Haunted? I found it hit and miss but there were some ******* brilliant stories in there and the writer's retreat plot I found pretty great at times.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:03 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Gonzo View Post
What did you think about Haunted? I found it hit and miss but there were some ******* brilliant stories in there and the writer's retreat plot I found pretty great at times.
the shorts about each member of the workshop was far more entertaining than the actual plot of the story

Old 12-02-2012, 08:05 PM    (permalink
Dr. Gonzo
Icon

Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
the shorts about each member of the workshop was far more entertaining than the actual plot of the story
Agreed. That story I feel like had a ton of potential but really fell flat most of the time though I did think it had it's moments. I think I was in grade 10 when Chuck Palahniuk started reading Guts to audiences and making them faint. I remember bringing in an audio recording and just playing it for people.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:45 PM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Anyone care to talk about Cloud Atlas? I just finished it and plan on starting again, soon, actually. Simply because I enjoy it so much its worth a second read.

Rest in Peace, themaninblack
eaglesalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:41 PM    (permalink
hobbes2053
Pro Bowler

hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I will be reading The Road after finishing LotR tomorrow. Unless there is another McCarthy book I should tackle first..?

worker bees can leave
even drones can fly away
the queen is their slave

themaninblack
hobbes2053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:37 AM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It might not be my favorite McCarthy book, but it is the first one I read by him and I have no suggestion against you doing the same.
SuperMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:27 AM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbes2053 View Post
I will be reading The Road after finishing LotR tomorrow. Unless there is another McCarthy book I should tackle first..?
The Road and All the Pretty Horses are probably the easiest to follow. I love Blood Meridian, but that isn't exactly for the faint of heart.

Old 12-08-2012, 06:11 AM    (permalink
hobbes2053
Pro Bowler

hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

LotR is done. The Road it is. I expect that I'll get to more of McCarthy's stuff in due time.

worker bees can leave
even drones can fly away
the queen is their slave

themaninblack
hobbes2053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:14 AM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just finished The Shining. The ending was epicly (words?) better than the movie.
It was odd to see that all the famous scenes in the movie aren't in the book.
(Here's Johnny! The twin girls in the hallway)

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:15 PM    (permalink
Cigaro
All-NFLDC

Recently finished Slaughterhouse-Five and All The King's Men. Slaughterhouse was good, not spectacular, but solid throughout and easily readable. I like All The King's Men a bit more. I had expected from what it had been described as to just be reading a mostly political/thriller narrative, and it was absolutely nothing like that. Definitely one of my favorite books that I have read so far.

Sig by Matthew Jones
Old 12-20-2012, 11:20 PM    (permalink
DeepThreat
Pro Bowler

DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Alas, poor Yorick! I knew him Horatio; a fellow of infinite jest.

Yeah, I just started Infinite Jest. Hopefully it proves... finite.

Quote:
<@JBond> And Dg, you'd waste it on corndogs
<@JBond> So you get no 5 dollars
<+DG> how is buy one get one free wasting?
Quote:
<+njx9> i'm pretty sure your people still eat boots in north korea, bantx. they don't know what vegetables are.
DeepThreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:18 PM    (permalink
Grizzlegom
Mr. Rogers
All-Pro

Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Finally read Ender's Game, any recommendations on whether I should read any others in the Ender's series and, if so, which ones? (This goes for the Bean books as well...)

sig by BoneKrusher
Grizzlegom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:45 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd skip the original sequels to Ender's Game and go into the Bean books personally.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:14 PM    (permalink
Damix
All-Pro

Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post
I'd skip the original sequels to Ender's Game and go into the Bean books personally.
Agreed, the original sequels aren't the same type of books. But the Bean book is awesome.
Damix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:03 AM    (permalink
Cigaro
All-NFLDC

I've given up mentioning most books I read in this thread, but recently I read The Naked Lunch. Don't read The Naked Lunch. APS may have some thoughts on this, I know he's studying the Beat Generation to some extent, but that book is just, not right.

Sig by Matthew Jones
Old 03-09-2013, 12:05 AM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damix View Post
Agreed, the original sequels aren't the same type of books. But the Bean book is awesome.
Thirded. Ender's Shadow might be better than Ender's Game.

The rest of the sequels are fun as well. The original sequels blow donkey balls and bore the hell out of me. He was striving for way too much with them and he failed spectacularly.
JoeJoeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:09 AM    (permalink
Dr. Gonzo
Icon

Quote:
I've given up mentioning most books I read in this thread, but recently I read The Naked Lunch. Don't read The Naked Lunch. APS may have some thoughts on this, I know he's studying the Beat Generation to some extent, but that book is just, not right.
I personally loved Naked Lunch. It is ******* out there for sure and a bit difficult to get into but once I found my groove I really enjoyed it. William Burroughs was a fascinating dude.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:19 AM    (permalink
Cigaro
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Gonzo View Post
I personally loved Naked Lunch. It is ******* out there for sure and a bit difficult to get into but once I found my groove I really enjoyed it. William Burroughs was a fascinating dude.
I really tried, but I came to conclusion I was reading nothing more than grotesque lunacy. Not even "insane genius," just merely perversion and grotesqueness proliferated over how many pages. I know its a recount of heroin and addiction, and I did catch some of the deeper themes(the political parties, for instance), but I walked away feeling I had read nothing more than a maniac describing anal sex and rape in as many ways as possible for no apparent reason(admittedly, there is more to it than that). I hate censorship, and although I don't think this book should be, I did somewhat understand why there would be backlash against.

I don't know, maybe a few years down the road I can approach it again a little bit more "enlightened," but that book was simply off. That being said, is all of Burroughs' writing that same way? I was attracted to the book because I find drugs an interesting topic, so I'm wondering if some of his other works are a bit more accessible and frankly sane.

Sig by Matthew Jones
Old 03-09-2013, 12:28 AM    (permalink
Dr. Gonzo
Icon

Quote:
I really tried, but I came to conclusion I was reading nothing more than grotesque lunacy. Not even "insane genius," just merely perversion and grotesqueness proliferated over how many pages. I know its a recount of heroin and addiction, and I did catch some of the deeper themes(the political parties, for instance), but I walked away feeling I had read nothing more than a maniac describing anal sex and rape in as many ways as possible for no apparent reason(admittedly, there is more to it than that). I hate censorship, and although I don't think this book should be, I did somewhat understand why there would be backlash against.

I don't know, maybe a few years down the road I can approach it again a little bit more "enlightened," but that book was simply off. That being said, is all of Burroughs' writing that same way? I was attracted to the book because I find drugs an interesting topic, so I'm wondering if some of his other works are a bit more accessible and frankly sane.
I actually have never read any of his others books though I have always meant to. I completely get where you are coming from. It is certainly a ****** up novel. I just kind of took the plunge and embraced the lunacy of it all. That helped though I don't see myself ever reading it again so maybe my appreciation of it is merely a ****** up nostalgic longing for a novel that really is incredibly macabre and demented.

I still stand by liking it though. I read it after watching the film by David Cronenberg and was not let down. I went in expecting crazy and it exceeded those expectations.
Old 03-09-2013, 01:05 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Quote:
Naked Lunch is interesting. I read that like a year or so ago. The best part was describing the orgy that ends in someone getting impaled or something along those lines.

Old 03-09-2013, 01:10 PM    (permalink
WCH
All-Pro

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJoeBrown View Post
Thirded. Ender's Shadow might be better than Ender's Game.

The rest of the sequels are fun as well. The original sequels blow donkey balls and bore the hell out of me. He was striving for way too much with them and he failed spectacularly.
I agree. I was super hyped for Speaker for the Dead and I made it through about the first 100 pages, then I realized I was bored out of my mind.
WCH is offline   Reply With Quote