Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 12-03-2012, 09:41 AM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just looking over the bowls, in terms of watchability, I'd rank them:

1. Fiesta Bowl
2. Cotton Bowl
3. BCS Title Game
4. Chick-fil-A Bowl
5. Holiday Bowl
6. Sugar Bowl
7. Famous Idaho Potato Bowl
8. Military Bowl
9. Independence Bowl
10. Outback Bowl
11. Sun Bowl
12. Gator Bowl
13. GoDaddy.com Bowl
14. Pinestripe Bowl (only if you love offense)
15. Beef O'Brady's Bowl (I'll be there)
16. New Orleans Bowl
17. Capital One Bowl
18. Alamo Bowl
19. Poinsettia Bowl
20. Las Vegas Bowl
21. Liberty Bowl
22. Hawaii Bowl
23. Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl
24. Belk Bowl
25. Rose Bowl
26. Music City Bowl
27. Orange Bowl
28. Russell Athletic Bowl
29. Buffalo Wild Wings Bowl
30. Meineke Car Care Bowl
31. Heart of Dallas Bowl
32. BBVA Compass Bowl
33. New Mexico Bowl
34. Little Ceasars Bowl
35. Armed Forces Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 
jrdrylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:47 AM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
Oh lord. Can we please stop with the righteous indignation? It's the Independence Bowl IN LOUISIANA. The players missed out on a chance to play another Louisiana team in a state they already live in. Oh the horror.....

Believe it or not, a lot of players don't even want to play in these stupid bowls.
I'm sure you'll find a ton of players that don't like to play in bowl games, but what makes you think this LA Tech team is anywhere near as okay with it as you are? AD has one job to take care of yesterday and that's to get his football team in a bowl game, and he shat the bed.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:47 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I was looking at a projected list last night and the pre-Christmas bowls stood out to me as being particularly underwhelming this year.

They're not usually great looking games, but at least there are some teams of interest or some sleeper prospects to check out. This year, none of them really stood out to me.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:56 AM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post
I was looking at a projected list last night and the pre-Christmas bowls stood out to me as being particularly underwhelming this year.

They're not usually great looking games, but at least there are some teams of interest or some sleeper prospects to check out. This year, none of them really stood out to me.
The Famous Idaho Potato Bowl (******* stupid name) will be interesting. Chuckie Keeton of Utah State is a fun player to watch. If you like running, the Beef O'Brady's Bowl will be right up your allley. UCF has a great running game and Ball State can't stop the run. And Boise State always has interesting bowl games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 
jrdrylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:20 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post

Agreed. I won't start paying attention until the 28th or so.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:21 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetSox17 View Post
I'm sure you'll find a ton of players that don't like to play in bowl games, but what makes you think this LA Tech team is anywhere near as okay with it as you are? AD has one job to take care of yesterday and that's to get his football team in a bowl game, and he shat the bed.
I don't, and you're right that he did his team a disservice, but it's also not a big deal at all. It's not like they would have even gotten a nice trip out of the deal, since they already live in Louisiana, and the game is played in Shreveport, which sounds like a god awful place.

I mean, seriously, people rip on the Pizza Bowl being in Detroit, but Shreveport?

Old 12-03-2012, 10:23 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Just checked on mapquest. Shreveport is literally one hour away from Louisiana Tech. That's a ******* embarrassment.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:17 AM    (permalink
MassNole
All-Pro

MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Just checked on mapquest. Shreveport is literally one hour away from Louisiana Tech. That's a ******* embarrassment.
at the LaTech AD.
MassNole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:19 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

No I mean embarrassing to invite a team that's one hour away from your bowl game. That's not a special trip for the players; it's just another ****** mid-major game they have to play in crappy NW Louisiana.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:24 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
No I mean embarrassing to invite a team that's one hour away from your bowl game. That's not a special trip for the players; it's just another ****** mid-major game they have to play in crappy NW Louisiana.
The only potential reason I can come up is that don't bowl games usually give away some free **** to the players? A few years back, Penn State played in one of the between-Christmas-and-New Years bowls (Outback maybe?) and got some decent free stuff. I think they got a Nintendo Wii when that was still a gift people wanted, and some gift cards to restaurants and sporting goods stores and stuff.....added up to a few hundred bucks worth of free stuff.

Nothing super exciting, but I know I (and most people) enjoy free ****.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:25 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Yeah they usually get some electronic goods and gift cards and stuff.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:26 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Yeah they usually get some electronic goods and gift cards and stuff.
I'd be willing to go play one more game for it. Especially in this case because it isn't far away.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:30 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

That's for the nice bowls, though. I imagine in Shreveport you get a can of skol and a racoon pelt or something.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:37 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Last year, the Independence Bowl gave:

Nonspecific "Gift Suite" (likely small gift cards and trinkets)
"Timely Watch Co." Watch
New Era cap
Commemorative Football

So yeah, not much there. But for an hour's trip and one game, I'd take it.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:08 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So you guys are all welcome for preventing the media cluster**** that would have ensued with an undefeated Northern Illinois.
iowatreat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:47 PM    (permalink
yo123
Legend

yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

La Tech beat writer on twitter said players were "devastated."

I don't care about the Independence Bowl but it isn't about me...AD ****** up.
yo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:58 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really don't see how you can blame the bowls. They extend an offer to a school they want as their top choice, that school says they'll think about it. So should the bowls wait for that school to decide, meanwhile their 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc. picks all get snatched up by other bowls. Then LA Tech decides they want to go to a different bowl, so the Independence Bowl is left with a 6-6 team from across the country that won't bring any fans?

Sure, playing an hour away isn't the best option, but LA Tech decided to play with fire and wait for a better bowl to come calling and no one did. Then they went back to their fallback option and that was gone too. It's their own fault.

Now, you can argue the bowl system sucks, but you can't blame the individual bowls for doing what is best for themselves.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:05 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowatreat54 View Post
I really don't see how you can blame the bowls. They extend an offer to a school they want as their top choice, that school says they'll think about it. So should the bowls wait for that school to decide, meanwhile their 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc. picks all get snatched up by other bowls. Then LA Tech decides they want to go to a different bowl, so the Independence Bowl is left with a 6-6 team from across the country that won't bring any fans?

Sure, playing an hour away isn't the best option, but LA Tech decided to play with fire and wait for a better bowl to come calling and no one did. Then they went back to their fallback option and that was gone too. It's their own fault.

Now, you can argue the bowl system sucks, but you can't blame the individual bowls for doing what is best for themselves.
This, pretty much. Independence Bowl gave them a deadline and the AD didn't return the phone call. That's on him.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:08 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetSox17 View Post
This, pretty much. Independence Bowl gave them a deadline and the AD didn't return the phone call. That's on him.
I mean, you can argue all day that the other bowls suck for not inviting a 9-3, high scoring offensive team sure to generate an exciting (albeit, probably ******) game. But I don't understand how you can blame the Independence Bowl at all.

Sure, they are a crap bowl in a crap town in Louisiana. So that means A. they shouldn't invite a home state team in the first place and B. if they do, they should wait for them to accept/reject the offer and then fill that spot with a crappy team that won't bring you any money?
Old 12-03-2012, 01:15 PM    (permalink
49erNation85
All-Pro

49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Florida is playing a crap team dam it bcs you suck!Why do we have to Louisville when we are now ranked 3rd?Stupid bowl system sucks ass!!!!!!!I would rather play some one different.It is going to be a big sloppy blow out win because of that dam system!!!
49erNation85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:26 PM    (permalink
MassNole
All-Pro

MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Rose Bowl game presented by VIZIO: Wisconsin vs. Stanford
Capital One Bowl: Nebraska vs. Georgia
Outback Bowl: Michigan vs. South Carolina
TaxSlayer.com Gator Bowl: Northwestern vs. Mississippi State
Buffalo Wild Wings Bowl: Michigan State vs. TCU
Meineke Car Care Bowl of Texas: Minnesota vs. Texas Tech
Heart of Dallas Bowl: Purdue vs. Oklahoma State
Will the B1G team be favored in any of these games?
Old 12-03-2012, 01:30 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erNation85 View Post
Florida is playing a crap team dam it bcs you suck!Why do we have to Louisville when we are now ranked 3rd?Stupid bowl system sucks ass!!!!!!!I would rather play some one different.It is going to be a big sloppy blow out win because of that dam system!!!
Shoulda beat Georgia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNole View Post
Nope. And a very good chance the Big Ten goes winless. Best part? Iowa still gets their $17M or whatever it is. That's right, we're getting $4.5M per win this year.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:43 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNole View Post
I'd guess not a damn one...Northwestern might have the best change to actually win, but I'd be surprised if any are favorites.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:51 PM    (permalink
MassNole
All-Pro

Bryan Fischer ‏@BryanDFischer
Crazy to think that the AVERAGE Baylor game features over 1,000 yards of offense. Bears average 578 yds, give up 513
Old 12-03-2012, 02:08 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erNation85 View Post
Well you played Cincinatti a couple of years ago so not sure this is all that much differant.

I'm actually looking forward to seeing how Louisville stacks up against that defense.

Then there is the matchup of probably the top two QBs for 2014 in Bridgewater and Driskel.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote