Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 12-06-2012, 08:30 PM    (permalink
DraftSwag
Rookie

DraftSwag needs more cowbell.
Default Why Is Nobody Talking About Zac Dysert?

Just wanted to find out your thoughts on this guy. Talked to some people and they said he is a sure fire early round pick. Saw you guys talking about a few big school guys, but failed to mention him. Apparently the guy is a stud and teams are drooling over him. Any thoughts?
DraftSwag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:40 PM    (permalink
Scott Wright
Owner
All-NFLDC

Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've been talking about Dysert since the summer and he's been on my "Underrated" list all year.

My guess is Dysert doesn't get a lot of ink because he plays in the MAC.

Twitter: twitter.com/DraftCountdown

Draft Countdown Podcast, Every Tuesday at 8 PM EST
www.blogtalkradio.com/draftcountdown and on iTunes

Scott Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:50 PM    (permalink
DraftSwag
Rookie

I got to watch him play against Ohio State and he played really well. Apparently he's considered a 2nd round talent. Interested to see what happens with his stock as the process moves along.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:11 AM    (permalink
Brown Leader
Pro Bowler

Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's the hair.

EDIT - was....http://www.muredhawks.com/ViewArticl...CLID=205820249

Quote:
Originally Posted by borg9 View Post
Are you not entertained? Is this not why you are here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBess View Post
....ask Brandon Weeden.

Last edited by Brown Leader : 12-07-2012 at 01:15 PM.
Brown Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:13 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've only seen bits and pieces of Dysert and he looks like he has the tools. Y.F.S is the guy to ask about Dysert

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:33 AM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Because no one watches MAC games.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:52 AM    (permalink
DraftSwag
Rookie

The MAC was a solid conference this year. Kind of baffles me to see the Mountain West get so much love, but the MAC never really gets that much attention. They have a few draftable players in the conference.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:18 AM    (permalink
y.f.s.
Rookie

y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think he's got the best functional set of tools in this class. He makes more mistakes than you'd like from a four year starter. Further, they've completely pulled his feet out from under him with the offensive design change that's occurred throughout this season.

This last year, Miami (OH) has gone from more under center stuff (which Dysert is legitimately good at) to an Empty formation Gun/Spread. Basically, it looks like the Mizzou offense under Gabbert now. Catch the snap, throw to 1st read on a Quick concept - if that's not there, try to run. And he's really not suited for that, and it's gotten him into bad habits dropping his eyes and watching the pass rush.

If he comes to Mobile and is lights out running a not-******** offense (like I think he will), he shoots way, way, way up. That's basically been my stance of him since early this season.

Oh, and videos:

Sig by TACKLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicBatman View Post
Tannehill was a better QB (than Gabbert) when he was still playing WR
y.f.s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:25 PM    (permalink
BuckeyeDan17
Pro Bowler

BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The throw at 0:35 vs osu was pretty impressive. If his receivers weren't dropping everything that game he might have beat us. 1:59 sticks out too.

Have it your way, with BK (BoneKrusher)
BuckeyeDan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:41 PM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I've been talking about Dysert since the summer and he's been on my "Underrated" list all year.

My guess is Dysert doesn't get a lot of ink because he plays in the MAC.
On a bad, bad MAC team. I'm not in love with Dysert but he had one awful supporting cast.
SuperMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:47 PM    (permalink
y.f.s.
Rookie

y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMcGee View Post
On a bad, bad MAC team. I'm not in love with Dysert but he had one awful supporting cast.
Watch his WRs try to run the Snag/Triangle concept at the :20 second mark in the Boise video. They all get mashed and compressed together. Just disgusting.

Sig by TACKLE

Quote:
Old 12-07-2012, 12:50 PM    (permalink
Unbiased
Pro Bowler

Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Maybe it's just me, but he really reminds me of Cutler.
Unbiased is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:09 PM    (permalink
Brown Leader
Pro Bowler

Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He's Kyle Orton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by borg9 View Post
Are you not entertained? Is this not why you are here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBess View Post
....ask Brandon Weeden.
Brown Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:10 PM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

His problem is he doesn't really scan the field well. Locks in on 1 side of te field. He's got the physical tools but he's got some questionable instanglibles and some accuracy issues.
bucfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:18 PM    (permalink
y.f.s.
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucfan12 View Post
His problem is he doesn't really scan the field well. Locks in on 1 side of te field. He's got the physical tools but he's got some questionable instanglibles and some accuracy issues.
Eh, the idea of "scanning the field" is so overrated. No QB really does that. Most of the time you a coverage key (direction of the MLB drop, the safety rotation, the weakside flat rotation, etc) and that determines the route progression.

There are "reads" and there are "progressions" - they are two separate things, although the two are intertwined. Nobody just goes back there and scans from left to right, even in the NFL. I think there's a lot of confusion on this, because I always hear (not necessarily about Dysert, but QBs in general) that "he locked onto his first read" when a "read" requires at least two receivers and a defender to key off of. The "read" is actually of the defensive player.

Further, so much of the stuff they do is Empty Gun/Spread stuff, so it's all Quick concepts. Quicks are all based on taking advantage of structural deficiencies the defense shows pre-snap. If you try to "read' or "scan" a 3-step concept post snap, you will get killed.

Sig by TACKLE

Quote:
Old 12-07-2012, 02:44 PM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by y.f.s. View Post
Eh, the idea of "scanning the field" is so overrated. No QB really does that. Most of the time you a coverage key (direction of the MLB drop, the safety rotation, the weakside flat rotation, etc) and that determines the route progression.

There are "reads" and there are "progressions" - they are two separate things, although the two are intertwined. Nobody just goes back there and scans from left to right, even in the NFL. I think there's a lot of confusion on this, because I always hear (not necessarily about Dysert, but QBs in general) that "he locked onto his first read" when a "read" requires at least two receivers and a defender to key off of. The "read" is actually of the defensive player.

Further, so much of the stuff they do is Empty Gun/Spread stuff, so it's all Quick concepts. Quicks are all based on taking advantage of structural deficiencies the defense shows pre-snap. If you try to "read' or "scan" a 3-step concept post snap, you will get killed.
Making reads pre-snap will measure your QBs success as well .

I think his physical attribuites and raw talent will get him in the 1st round, because the demand for QBs is very high with many teams needing 1. But in a regular draft, where the class isn't so "suspect", he'd be a developmental 2nd/3rd round guy.
bucfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:27 PM    (permalink
y.f.s.
Rookie

I really like his talent, but his regression over the course of the season in that offense is concerning to me. The Empty Quick Gun/Spreads where they ask the QB to be an improviser/runner simply because he's athletic (and not because he's a good improviser - I think they're inherently different skills) force their QBs to pick up more bad habits than the Air Raid or other types of spread-to-pass systems.

That's why I say the Senior Bowl is so important for him - because he's had success (and more of it) doing under center things.

Sig by TACKLE

Quote:
Old 12-07-2012, 03:49 PM    (permalink
norcalgsr
Veteran

norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unbiased View Post
Maybe it's just me, but he really reminds me of Cutler.
Doesn't have the pure arm of Cutler. I think I read someone compared him to Nick Foles recently.
norcalgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:06 PM    (permalink
Flaming Mo
Rookie

Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would like the Jets to give him a look in the second round. He might be solid value there and he could compete with Sanchez next year.
Flaming Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:37 PM    (permalink
SchizophrenicBatman
Pro Bowler

Location: TJ Warren is a better and more productive player than Jabari Parker
SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hard to tell from those videos but does he kind of throw the ball like injured Stafford (short armed side angle - kind of like a baseball reliever)?
SchizophrenicBatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:53 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucfan12 View Post
Making reads pre-snap will measure your QBs success as well .

I think his physical attribuites and raw talent will get him in the 1st round, because the demand for QBs is very high with many teams needing 1. But in a regular draft, where the class isn't so "suspect", he'd be a developmental 2nd/3rd round guy.
the problem with pre-snap reads is that a lot of offenses don't allow QBs much latitude in what happens during the play or pre-snap or at least it never seems like they do.