Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Mock Drafts

Mock Drafts A Place to Post and Discuss Your Own Mock Drafts

Old 12-10-2012, 10:02 PM    (permalink
Packers12
Rookie

Packers12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Packers12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Packers12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Packers12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Packers12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Packers12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Packers12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Packers12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Packers12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Packers12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Packers12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree with the OT pick for the Packers, but Sherrod has barely played due to his leg injury. I think he's a longterm guard.
Packers12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:04 PM    (permalink
Hermstheman83
Veteran

Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Even though Barkley is eqivalen to Dalton. I'll gladly take any one of the prospects over Quinn or Cassel....Why did you decide Smith is above Barkley? I would think the close connection to Oakland, barkley would be their QB of choice. Also, Jacksonville would probably take a qb too right? Blaine Gabbert or Chad Henne? That's like choosing between an amputation and an rusty dagger suppository right? Good mock man. Thanks for the insight.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:19 PM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermstheman83 View Post
Even though Barkley is eqivalen to Dalton. I'll gladly take any one of the prospects over Quinn or Cassel....Why did you decide Smith is above Barkley? I would think the close connection to Oakland, barkley would be their QB of choice. Also, Jacksonville would probably take a qb too right? Blaine Gabbert or Chad Henne? That's like choosing between an amputation and an rusty dagger suppository right? Good mock man. Thanks for the insight.
Thanks! I think the connection with USC left with Hue Jackson, no? I simply went off of how most prospect rankings have Geno 1st. Of course Jacksonville can take a qb, it's tough to say which team will like which QBs. There will be a lot of teams passing on a qb in the first to go for a 2nd round qb bc they think he's a better fit. Arizona could decide they think Glennon is the best fit for them and take a LT first round and take qb 2nd for instance. It's really wide open at this point, can't wait until April
Robcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:24 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robcards View Post
Haven't heard 'hes good when hes healthy' I've just heard 'bust.' Is that not the case?
We don't know. He was a backup his first season and had a broken leg this season. We'll find out next year, hopefully.

RIP themaninblack
SuperPacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:27 PM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPacker View Post
We don't know. He was a backup his first season and had a broken leg this season. We'll find out next year, hopefully.
Yeah I just recall him being behind Newhouse for the LT job before he got injured this year, so I just figured since Newsome bad at LT, Sherrod not as good as Newhouse, Sherrod bad at LT. Obviously making assumptions but I didn't hear anyone say he's the LT of the future
Old 12-10-2012, 10:48 PM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Thanks! I think the connection with USC left with Hue Jackson, no? I simply went off of how most prospect rankings have Geno 1st. Of course Jacksonville can take a qb, it's tough to say which team will like which QBs. There will be a lot of teams passing on a qb in the first to go for a 2nd round qb bc they think he's a better fit. Arizona could decide they think Glennon is the best fit for them and take a LT first round and take qb 2nd for instance. It's really wide open at this point, can't wait until April
Al Davis loved him some Trojans.

With that said, the Raiders taking one of the QBs in this draft would make me sick, especially at #1 overall.

In that scenario I foresee Arizona trading up to the #1 spot to take Smith, Barkley or Wilson. If you don't want to mock a trade, then it will be someone in the trenches.

Not a waste of a #1 overall pick.

Oldie but a goodie.
nobodyinparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:28 AM    (permalink
mqtirishfan
All-Pro

mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Yeah I just recall him being behind Newhouse for the LT job before he got injured this year, so I just figured since Newsome bad at LT, Sherrod not as good as Newhouse, Sherrod bad at LT. Obviously making assumptions but I didn't hear anyone say he's the LT of the future
He got injured last year, not this year.

Also, it's inconsequential, but is Mankins a cheeky nickname for Hankins, or do you just not know his name?
mqtirishfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:44 AM    (permalink
TimmG6376
Veteran

TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packers12 View Post
I agree with the OT pick for the Packers, but Sherrod has barely played due to his leg injury. I think he's a longterm guard.
They already tried that and it was not successful. Sherrod is a tackle.

He was progressing last year, but couldnt crack the lineup on an undefeated team until Bulaga was hurt. He then broke his leg only a few plays after coming into the game. It was as a brutal injury though so who knows if he'll ever fully recover. I'd be shocked if it was at guard though.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:42 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm only commenting on this because I haven't had Barkley rated highly in months, but this is a direct quote from Adam Schefter, who has more inside knowledge than everyone who posts here combined

"When you look at the draft there aren't any sure-fire guys that you can turn to and say this is a guy we're going to be rebuilding around.

Matt Barkley is viewed as a late first round pick and who knows what he can do in his rookie year. Maybe a lot, maybe not very much. Collin Klein, late round pick. Geno Smith, it's not as if scouts are just completely wowed by him."

So, all the draft experts (which there aren't any since the draft is such an unknown) think Barkley is a high first rounder, but actual scouts believe he is a late first rounder?

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:27 AM    (permalink
regoob2
All-Pro

regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Why would the Bears re-sign him?
He's been our best O linemen as was a solid NFL starter until getting hurt. We'd be crazy not to. When your OL is as bad as ours your not going to let your best one walk.

regoob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:30 AM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd be fine with Xavier Rhodes.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:59 AM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by regoob2 View Post
He's been our best O linemen as was a solid NFL starter until getting hurt. We'd be crazy not to. When your OL is as bad as ours your not going to let your best one walk.
That's pretty sad if he's the best lineman, but even so, replace Lance Louis with Chilo Rachal and the statement stands?

And I still say they won't re-sign him. Age and health are bigger factors in whether or not to re-sign someone, as the players skill typically determines how much he costs.

Last edited by Robcards : 12-11-2012 at 09:06 AM.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:01 AM    (permalink
FootballGod
Rookie

FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jarvis Jones at #14 = Jizz
Old 12-11-2012, 09:03 AM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntoinCD View Post
So, all the draft experts (which there aren't any since the draft is such an unknown) think Barkley is a high first rounder, but actual scouts believe he is a late first rounder?
Tannehill was a 2nd round pick that went 8th. Ponder was a 2nd round pick that went 12th. With the new CBA its less of a burden to draft a QB high because if they bust it doesn't destroy your cap for 4 years. It doesn't matter if theres 30 players at different positions that are considered better, if you need a franchise QB in this day in age, you take one, it seems. You can add Weeden 22nd last year too as he shouldn't have been taken until day 3 considering his age.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:04 AM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mqtirishfan View Post
He got injured last year, not this year.

Also, it's inconsequential, but is Mankins a cheeky nickname for Hankins, or do you just not know his name?
Or, option 3, in the thousands of characters that was my mock, I made one typing error. So sorry it will never happen again
Old 12-11-2012, 09:13 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Tannehill was a 2nd round pick that went 8th. Ponder was a 2nd round pick that went 12th. With the new CBA its less of a burden to draft a QB high because if they bust it doesn't destroy your cap for 4 years. It doesn't matter if theres 30 players at different positions that are considered better, if you need a franchise QB in this day in age, you take one, it seems. You can add Weeden 22nd last year too as he shouldn't have been taken until day 3 considering his age.
Tannehill and Barkley aren't really comparable. One is a physically gifted former WR who needed to work on the nuances of his game but had tremendous upside. The other is a polished 4 year starter with perceived physical limitations. Barkley actually compares rather favourably to Ponder and when the Vikings selected him many thought it was too early and he has hardly set the league on fire.

I have no doubt that Barkley may go higher than where he would if all things were equal based on the position he plays, however 2nd overall seems really high. Barkley may well go in the first half of round 1, however I would be very surprised if he was a top 5 pick

Old 12-11-2012, 09:17 AM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Quote:
Tannehill and Barkley aren't really comparable. One is a physically gifted former WR who needed to work on the nuances of his game but had tremendous upside. The other is a polished 4 year starter with perceived physical limitations. Barkley actually compares rather favourably to Ponder and when the Vikings selected him many thought it was too early and he has hardly set the league on fire.

I have no doubt that Barkley may go higher than where he would if all things were equal based on the position he plays, however 2nd overall seems really high. Barkley may well go in the first half of round 1, however I would be very surprised if he was a top 5 pick
I'm not comparing the 2 at all. I'm just showing examples of QBs that have went way higher than they should have because of the new CBA. Thought that was clear.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:24 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

Quote:
I'm not comparing the 2 at all. I'm just showing examples of QBs that have went way higher than they should have because of the new CBA. Thought that was clear.
But in doing that you have to compare what type of QB the guy is to previous guys. Guys with higher upside tend to rise higher than low ceiling, low floor guys. No team is going to give up the farm, metaphorically, for someone who profiles as an average to slightly above average QB.

The Vikings took Ponder in the first because they didn't have a viable QB but they aren't a team who lean on their QB. All Ponder has to do is not make mistakes for the Vikings to be competitive. That is reminiscent of what the Chiefs need this year but the difference between the 1st or 2nd pick and the 12th pick is massive, even without the contracts being enormous.

Picking atop the draft you are expecting a QB who can be the cornerstone of your franchise. You are expecting Peyton Manning, not Alex Smith

Old 12-11-2012, 09:28 AM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Quote:
But in doing that you have to compare what type of QB the guy is to previous guys. Guys with higher upside tend to rise higher than low ceiling, low floor guys. No team is going to give up the farm, metaphorically, for someone who profiles as an average to slightly above average QB.

The Vikings took Ponder in the first because they didn't have a viable QB but they aren't a team who lean on their QB. All Ponder has to do is not make mistakes for the Vikings to be competitive. That is reminiscent of what the Chiefs need this year but the difference between the 1st or 2nd pick and the 12th pick is massive, even without the contracts being enormous.

Picking atop the draft you are expecting a QB who can be the cornerstone of your franchise. You are expecting Peyton Manning, not Alex Smith
But in absence of a Peyton Manning, teams take Alex Smith first, you made my point for me with that last sentence lol. The 2000 draft is the only one I can think of in recent memory where no QB was taken in the top half of the 1st round, and considering all the QB needy teams will be picking in the top 10, I just don't see how guys like Geno and Barkley aren't top 5 picks.

Last edited by Robcards : 12-11-2012 at 09:32 AM.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:40 AM    (permalink
regoob2
All-Pro

regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
That's pretty sad if he's the best lineman, but even so, replace Lance Louis with Chilo Rachal and the statement stands?

And I still say they won't re-sign him. Age and health are bigger factors in whether or not to re-sign someone, as the players skill typically determines how much he costs.
I don't think you really know what you're talking about. Louis has been good all year at RG. Not Bears good, NFL good. He's also only 27 years old. Chilo Rachal isnt a starter anymore. You don't seem to be up to date on this stuff.

Old 12-11-2012, 09:41 AM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Quote:
I don't think you really know what you're talking about. Louis has been good all year at RG. Not Bears good, NFL good. He's also only 27 years old. Chilo Rachal isnt a starter anymore. You don't seem to be up to date on this stuff.
Didn't Louis get injured? Am I confusing him with someone else?

It turns out I am not:

On Nov 26: "Bears placed RG Lance Louis on injured reserve with a torn left ACL, ending his season."
Old 12-11-2012, 10:05 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

Quote:
But in absence of a Peyton Manning, teams take Alex Smith first, you made my point for me with that last sentence lol. The 2000 draft is the only one I can think of in recent memory where no QB was taken in the top half of the 1st round, and considering all the QB needy teams will be picking in the top 10, I just don't see how guys like Geno and Barkley aren't top 5 picks.
Eh, I'm pretty sure I didn't. Here are all the QBs drafted in the first half of the first round since 2000;

Michael Vick
David Carr
Joey Harrington
Carson Palmer
Byron Leftwich
Eli Manning
Philip Rivers
Ben Roethlisberger
Alex Smith
Vince Young
Matt Leinart
Jay Cutler
Jamarcus Russell
Matt Ryan
Matthew Stafford
Mark Sanchez
Sam Bradford
Cam Newton
Jake Locker
Blaine Gabbert
Christian Ponder
Andrew Luck
Robert Griffin III
Ryan Tannehill

Of all those guys, with the exception of the bolded ones, they all were either high upside guys, guys with prototypical tools or came off a sensational final year in college.

Alex Smith is a more accurate passer than Barkley and possesses better size and a comparable arm.

Leinart fell based on initial expectations due to arm strength concerns and the fact that neither he nor Sanchez have been successful will actually go against Barkley.

Matt Ryan wasn't seen as a top notch prospect but he was literally the only top QB prospect that year and was much more physically gifted than Barkley.

Ponder is the only guy taken in the top half of the draft in the last 12 years who is comparable to Barkley. Barkley has height concerns, questions over arm strength, accuracy isn't consistently there, struggled to win against top PAC12 competition, didn't have a good year despite having the best WR duo in the country. However he has good intangibles and will interview well...therefore a second round pick IMO. However based on his position he will likely move up into the second half of the first round, not the 2nd overall pick in my opinion

Old 12-11-2012, 10:07 AM    (permalink
regoob2
All-Pro

Quote:
Didn't Louis get injured? Am I confusing him with someone else?

It turns out I am not:

On Nov 26: "Bears placed RG Lance Louis on injured reserve with a torn left ACL, ending his season."
It's not career ending. He will be resigned.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:16 AM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Quote:
It's not career ending. He will be resigned.
Care to wager on it? =)
Old 12-11-2012, 10:18 AM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Quote:
Ponder is the only guy taken in the top half of the draft in the last 12 years who is comparable to Barkley. Barkley has height concerns, questions over arm strength, accuracy isn't consistently there, struggled to win against top PAC12 competition, didn't have a good year despite having the best WR duo in the country. However he has good intangibles and will interview well...therefore a second round pick IMO. However based on his position he will likely move up into the second half of the first round, not the 2nd overall pick in my opinion
The Chiefs and Cardinals are far too desperate at QB to not draft one with their first pick, I'm sorry but I just don't see Barkley falling that far. Even if the Raiders don't draft a QB, the Chiefs take Geno and Cardinals take Barkley. What scenario do you see Barkley going late 1st? Who would take him late 1st? No one in the playoffs needs a QB.