Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

View Poll Results: Which team is set up on a better development path?
I'm taking the Browns. 32 45.71%
I'm taking the Dolphins. 38 54.29%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-10-2012, 07:20 PM    (permalink
wogitalia
Pro Bowler

wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'll take the Dolphins because they aren't the Browns and they aren't based in Cleveland.

Also... Tannehill's missus.

Props to BK on the sig!
wogitalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:33 PM    (permalink
Grizzlegom
Mr. Rogers
All-Pro

Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This offseason will determine it I think. With Miami having a ton of key FAs and cap space and Cleveland's owner could potentially blow things up. Those decisions will play a huge factor in the success of these two teams. If they stay par for the course, I like Cleveland's overall current talent base better. Miami's best players on defense are already 30 and over, save for Reshad Jones, and Cleveland's skill position players have much high potential IMO.

sig by BoneKrusher
Grizzlegom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:35 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

the more I've thought about this, the more I think I mis-voted the first time. I would much rather have Tannehill than Weeden, but overall Cleveland has drafted a better core of players in the last couple of years. I think people are right that the Browns might only be another year of development and a legitimate pass rush away from being a serious contender. Except for Weeden, they seem like a really young team with some serious talent at the skill positions. Could use another target for Weeden, too - if they can come out of the next draft with someone like Tavon Austin or Denard Robinson, or maybe go back to the Baylor well and grab Terrance Williams in the second, they'll have the personnel to attack defenses really aggressively. I imagine Austin or Robinson would both be fantastic replacements for Josh Cribbs, who I like but feel like he's not what he was a few years ago... but thinks he is, and that's generally not a good thing.
Caulibflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:26 PM    (permalink
farfromforgotten
Veteran

farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I went with Cleveland. I live in Ohio and for ***** sake I hope they stay headed in the right direction as an organization because I have to watch them every Sunday... and this year has been much easier than years past. Watching the careers of Richardson, Gordon, Thomas, and Haden is actually something I can be a little excited about. Please don't make me go back to watching the garbage I've had to sit through for all these years. I have hope in this young Browns squad. The future looks bright, don't **** it up...
farfromforgotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:15 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Dolphins because the Browns are in yet another organizational restructuring period. Also, overcoming the Jets and Bills isn't hard compared to the AFC North.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:41 AM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like how the poll started pretty heavily in the Dolphins favor and has since swung all the way into a Browns lead as the thread progressed. I wonder if the game will be like that? Someone will have to remember to bump this thread.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:32 AM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPacker View Post
Unfair contest. In two years time Weeden will be closer to retiring than the day he was drafted.
If you keep posting like this you might just make it ok that we didn't 'splode you the other night.

BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:35 AM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Really surprised this is even close. Tannenhill's not just younger but better, like by a lot. Weeden hasn't been Gabbert-bad this year and that is impressive given where expectations where, but I'm still taking RT over him 10 times out of ten, especially in two years time.

BK

Quote:
Quote:
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Old 12-11-2012, 02:41 AM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I voted for the Browns. I think they have a lot to like for a new GM and coach coming in...the scenario is similar to what Jim Harbaugh came into in San Francisco: they have a strong core of players, a talented but undeveloped/questionable situation at quarterback, and a huge lack of direction. They have a great young RB. They have more talent in the trenches than most teams that regularly draft in the top 10. If they can bring in a strong front office man who can recognize the key pieces that are missing, and a coach that can take what they have and mold it together with strong leadership, organization, and a win-now attitude, then I think they have a strong foundation of talent to work with.

Miami, on the other hand...and I admit that I don't know the Dolphins as well as I know the Browns...but they have an owner that very much resembles the old Dan Snyder, and I think they will continue to have problems until he gets out of his own way.
stlouisfan37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:44 AM    (permalink
Cigaro
All-NFLDC

Location: Two-thirds of the Earth is covered by water, the other one-third is covered by Luke Kuechly
Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud View Post
Really surprised this is even close. Tannenhill's not just younger but better, like by a lot. Weeden hasn't been Gabbert-bad this year and that is impressive given where expectations where, but I'm still taking RT over him 10 times out of ten, especially in two years time.
I don't think many who are voting for the Browns are doing so because they view Weeden as the superior passer.

Sig by Matthew Jones
Cigaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:55 AM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigaro View Post
I don't think many who are voting for the Browns are doing so because they view Weeden as the superior passer.
Right - the knee-jerk reaction is, "Oh, Tannehill's going to be waaay better than Weeden by then," but can you imagine how scary that team would be with Tannehill at quarterback? The Browns have some genuinely exciting young players, and I don't think you can really say that about Miami, outside of Tannehill.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:50 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Tannehill vs Weedon will tell which team has the better future. IMO, Weedon, will be done at 35 as a franchise QB leaving only a small window of opportunity for success, after which Cleveland will be back looking for a QB in the draft. Just at that moment, Tannehill could be just coming into his prime years with another 8-10 years of excellence, so my money in the very short time would be on Cleveland but if you are talking about the next decade, Miami will leave Cleveland in its dust.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:57 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulibflower View Post
Right - the knee-jerk reaction is, "Oh, Tannehill's going to be waaay better than Weeden by then," but can you imagine how scary that team would be with Tannehill at quarterback? The Browns have some genuinely exciting young players, and I don't think you can really say that about Miami, outside of Tannehill.
Yeah but qb is the ultimate equalizer. Finding skill position players is easy when you have a qb to throw to them. Generally when teams are close the way these 2 are, you go with the better qb.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:10 AM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Yeah but qb is the ultimate equalizer. Finding skill position players is easy when you have a qb to throw to them. Generally when teams are close the way these 2 are, you go with the better qb.
To an extent, but it's not like Tannehill has been like Luck out there. He hasn't been miles better than Weeden, and that Browns young core looks damn good. Skill position talents like Gordon and Richardson aren't a dime a dozen either.
cmarq83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:46 AM    (permalink
7DnBrnc53
Rookie

7DnBrnc53 is so money.7DnBrnc53 is so money.7DnBrnc53 is so money.7DnBrnc53 is so money.7DnBrnc53 is so money.7DnBrnc53 is so money.7DnBrnc53 is so money.7DnBrnc53 is so money.7DnBrnc53 is so money.7DnBrnc53 is so money.

I haven't watched Miami that much, but when I do watch them, Tannehill doesn't exactly blow me away. He wasn't worth the eighth overall pick.
7DnBrnc53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:20 AM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Dolphins. Browns are blowing it up after the season ends. The new regime wont want the trash of the old regime and there will be a few seasons of cleaning out.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:50 PM    (permalink
PoopSandwich
All-Pro

PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by descendency View Post
Dolphins. Browns are blowing it up after the season ends. The new regime wont want the trash of the old regime and there will be a few seasons of cleaning out.
If we finish 7-9 or 8-8 and they blow this thing up Cleveland will collectively overthrow Banner and Haslam.

"If something happens, and it's the Cleveland Browns, I'm going to pour my heart out for the Dawg Pound and try to win a Super Bowl for Cleveland," he said. "I don't care if they've had 20 starting quarterbacks since 1999. I'm going to be the 21st and the guy that brought them the Super Bowl." - JFF
PoopSandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:24 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Trent is good and Gordon's been a nice find, but it's not like they've got great weapons. If Miami gets Bowe with the solid receivers and RBs they already have, their weapons are more than good enough for a franchise QB to do work with. And I do think Tannehill is a franchise QB in the making, that's huge, way bigger than the Browns' advantage on defense, which is legit when Haden's back there playing better than any other corner in the NFL.

BK

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-11-2012, 03:00 PM    (permalink
bigbuc
Veteran

bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
What trash are you talking about? Maybe Weened? But everyone else is under 25 years old and Mack and Thoams are top 5 at their spots.
bigbuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:12 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuc View Post
What trash are you talking about? Maybe Weened? But everyone else is under 25 years old and Mack and Thoams are top 5 at their spots.
Yeah, I was going to object to the "trash" comment, too. There's roster turnover with any regime change, but Cleveland's got some good core talent that any coaching staff would be foolish to jettison.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:13 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuc View Post
The new regime always finds tons of players to replace. It happens every time a new regime comes in.

There are a few things that are given when a new regime comes into power: The QB will be changed (or at least in a heavy competition) and some of the previous leaders under the previous regime will be traded (or cut).
Old 12-11-2012, 03:19 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Quote:
The new regime always finds tons of players to replace. It happens every time a new regime comes in.

There are a few things that are given when a new regime comes into power: The QB will be changed (or at least in a heavy competition) and some of the previous leaders under the previous regime will be traded (or cut).
I just don't see that as any reason the Browns should be worse. It seems like you're just saying you expect Weeden to have to fight for his job.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:35 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulibflower View Post
I just don't see that as any reason the Browns should be worse. It seems like you're just saying you expect Weeden to have to fight for his job.
It won't just be Weeden. Anyone who was a leader on the previous team (Joe Thomas?) will be candidates to leave. It really depends on their contract situations and whatnot. Dqwell Jackson is a prime example of player who could be sent packing. Josh Cribbs? I don't know Cleveland's roster that well. I just am saying that it's typical to see new regimes want to get rid of the old regime's players and invest into their own.

Just go back and look at what happened with the Jets after Mangini was fired. Or Denver after Shanahan. Or any of the other major regime changes.

edit: or Oakland after Al Davis died.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:35 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I went with the Dolphins by a slight margin. I like their defensive pieces.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:57 PM    (permalink
prock
All-Pro

prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I feel like defensive pieces are the main reason one would go Browns. Haden, Ward, Taylor, Sheard..

Bonekrusher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanTaber View Post
Football...it's rocket surgery now, folks.
prock is offline   Reply With Quote