Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 12-09-2012, 01:44 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Look like I can't beat the odds. Jesus!

I like Ryan Nassib better but the problem is that he never faced real defense so it is hard to know whether or not he can handle pro game.
YotoJets007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:18 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I mean at this point I'm not really sure what they're thinking. They pretty much started Sanchez only to completely take the ball out of his hands all game. No clue what is going to happen with the quarterback position this offseason.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:10 PM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YotoJets007 View Post
I see few possibilities to resolve quarterback problem this off season break.

1. Kyle Shanahan as Head Coach. He could bring Kirk Cousins with him.

2. Tom Clements as Head Coach. He would lobby to get Matt Flynn.

3. Norv Turner as Offensive Coordinator. Jets could sign Alex Smith.

Number 3 is more ideal plan because getting Smith won't burn any draft pick.
How would getting Smith not burn a draft pick? I'm sure he wouldn't cost a high pick, but he'd cost a pick nonetheless, he's under contract for 2 more years with the Niners why would they flat out cut him?
Robcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:12 PM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
I mean at this point I'm not really sure what they're thinking. They pretty much started Sanchez only to completely take the ball out of his hands all game. No clue what is going to happen with the quarterback position this offseason.
Whenever Tanny gets fired and we get a new GM I'm sure their first line of business will be to pay Sanchez to go away. I see no other way around it. Yeah it'll cost us cap space next season, but we're not going to make the playoffs next year anyway.
Robcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:41 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robcards View Post
Whenever Tanny gets fired and we get a new GM I'm sure their first line of business will be to pay Sanchez to go away. I see no other way around it. Yeah it'll cost us cap space next season, but we're not going to make the playoffs next year anyway.
What do you think happens from there? Draft pick, vet, McElroy/Tebow?
Old 12-10-2012, 01:53 PM    (permalink
Thecollegedropout
Pro Bowler

Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not to be defending Mark here but the weapons for the last 3 games are....

Jeremy Kerley
Jeff Cumberland
Konrad Reuland
Mardy Gillyard
Chaz Schillens
Clyde Gates
Jason Hill
Lex "Stonehands" Hilliard at FB

These are his weapons LOL and Greene/Powell are decent running backs. Not to say Mark hasn't been good but the man has nothing to play with, no QB for us can make this work.
Thecollegedropout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:18 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robcards View Post
How would getting Smith not burn a draft pick? I'm sure he wouldn't cost a high pick, but he'd cost a pick nonetheless, he's under contract for 2 more years with the Niners why would they flat out cut him?

49ers are going to cut Smith for sure. His contract become a full guarantee if he stays with them on April 1, 2013. The way Colin has played I can see that happen.

Now his concussion becomes problematic. We will see.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:20 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

While teasing Derza with this mock, why it claimed a lack of play maker for Jets' pick when Moore was taken 3 picks later is beyond me.

http://www.chicagonow.com/daily-chic...a-sixth-sense/
Old 12-10-2012, 03:18 PM    (permalink
Old School
Rookie

Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
What do you think happens from there? Draft pick, vet, McElroy/Tebow?

I think we're not going to get the miracle fix we're all hoping for. Cutting Sanchez would be a $17.1 million cap hit for the Jets next season. I don't see them eating that much money. There is also no way another team out there takes on that kind of money to get Sanchez. As a starter or 2nd string QB, I think he'll still be wearing a Jet uniform next season.

As for the rest, I think we trade Tebow for basically the same thing we gave up. Keep McElroy, and draft a QB to either compete for the starting position or as Sanchez's backup. This over McElroy, who will continue to be a healthy scratch. If they don't draft a QB, then I guess they'd have to grab a vet.

Shocker that wouldn't be that shocking, is the Jets signing Vick. Another quick fix that wont work, but will sell tickets and steal the headlines.
Old School is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:53 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Well to be fair Yoto, that ChicagoNow mock just seemed silly. Star would certainly be a tough value to pass up, it's just so far from a need.

I agree with you Old School. I hope it's as a second string guy, but I do think Sanchez will be back next year. I just don't see any reasonable way around it. Could see trading Tebow although I think we'll get less than we gave up. Would like to see them draft a QB.

Signing Vick wouldn't surprise me at all.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:08 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really hope we don't draft a QB next year. Real awful draft class for that position. Plus, we need too much help everywhere else. We should actually be drafting for every single offensive position except QB. Keep Sanchez around, hope for a mid-career revival during that time, and then wait on Manziel!
Old 12-10-2012, 11:38 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

I don't think the class this year is as bad as it's cracked up to me. We just got spoiled with last year's great class. To me, there's pretty good depth at this point. Some guys are going to move up in the process and after everything shakes out, I think there's going to be a few starters who come out of this class. No slam dunks, but there's some talent.

Only other option, to me, is fixing up the defense or building a dominant run game. On the first two days bring in a couple of outside linebackers or bring in 2-3 (maybe a trade down) road graders on the line and an explosive back who can make plays in the passing game. But I think they have to put together a unit instead of patching things together. The defense is good enough that a dominant run game is a good step and the front seven with two pass rushers would be absolutely filthy.

I still think a quarterback does more for the team than anything else though. And the Jaguars just showed that it doesn't kill you to swing and miss on a QB in the mid first. Cut your losses and try again.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:55 AM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

QB class is good but timing is wrong. Jets need someone to take Sanchez's job anytime next season. I certainly don't want Jets compel to draft a quarterback by thinking this kid will beat Sanchez in this training camp.

McElroy broke his hand last year and that delayed his developmental process. I don't know what will be his status next year but I rather to draft a quarterback with better arm strength.

If Rex Ryan and Mike Tannebaum insist that McElroy is the one then Jets should sign free agent to compete with Sanchez. If both struggle, McElroy steps in for the rest of next season.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:56 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think drafting a QB is a waste of a good pick. To me, it would be more of the same this-year-or-nothing strategy Tannenbaum employs where the future isn't considered. The draft shouldn't be about getting players for the here-and-now, but rather for what suits the team best in the long-haul. There is a ton of talent in this draft, but not really at QB. We don't have to believe it essential to get to playoffs next year. We could think a few years down the road for once. That's how I see it anyway. I don't see why we can't bring in a good veteran QB as a temporary band-aid as we work to fortify everything else around the QB position for a couple of years.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:10 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

To me, the fortify everything else and then get a QB strategy doesn't work that well. Plenty of good quarterbacks in the NFL have had success with okay supporting casts, which the Jets have right now. Guys like Sanchez and to a lesser extent Joe Flacco I think have been stagnated by coming into the league with great supporting casts. It's not necessary for quarterback development. Most good QB's take their lumps early in their careers with mediocre talent around them. Sanchez makes the other offensive players look worse than they are.

Successful quarterbacks in the NFL improve the play of the players around them. I see no reason the Jets couldn't find somebody of that caliber in this draft based on the guys I've looked at. If there's no QB they feel can be that guy in this draft, then by all means pass. But if there is, I think they have to pull the trigger. Take a guy and let him sink or swim with what they have.

I don't see how it's a this year or nothing move to draft a quarterback though. At all, frankly. In fact it's the least this year or nothing move I can think of. If you legitimately hit on a quarterback, you've got a contender for the next 10 years. To me it's the biggest long-haul move you can make.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:29 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The idiots have decided to bring back Braylon Edwards.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:47 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

I don't think it's a bad move, but definitely amusing in light of his comments about the front office.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:57 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah, I have no problem bringing him back. To be honest, I like the move.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 12-11-2012, 09:01 PM    (permalink
Old School
Rookie

Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Successful quarterbacks in the NFL improve the play of the players around them.

If you legitimately hit on a quarterback, you've got a contender for the next 10 years. To me it's the biggest long-haul move you can make.

Exactly !!!

Brees/Mannings/Rogers/Brady etc. would make a few of these WR's/RB's look better than they really are. Not saying that there are any QB's that will turn into any of these guys in this years draft. But take even Henne (who has sucked), when he replaced Gabbert this year, all the sudden Blackmon and Shorts are legit weapons. Sanchez isn't making anyone better.

As much as I realize there is great talent and depth on the defensive side of the ball in this years draft, and we could use it, I would be stoked if the Jets used all 7 picks on offense to completely rebuild and change their identity.
Old School is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:06 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

I'm with you Old School. I get it, to an extent you really want to go with where the talent is in the draft. But I think there's some pretty solid depth at the QB position this year. And if somebody's on the board wherever the Jets pick who they think could be a legitimate franchise QB, you take a shot. It's the position that will make the biggest impact on the team long-term.

Sure, they could stand to improve the pass rush. But a legit pass rusher brings them what, from a top 10 defense to a top 5 defense? The defense is good. Despite a lot of weaknesses. The Jets have talent on defense in certain spot and a fantastic coaching staff that can take advantage. They'd be even better if the offense didn't give other teams the ball in great field position and could run some block to give them a breather.

The other thing that would be huge for this team is a run game. Not a 3.8 YPC but we'll hand it off 40 times a game run game, but a run game where they can get legit yardage. If there's no QB they like on the board and no pass rusher on the board, get some dominant guards, maybe a RT and a versatile back with some EXPOSIVENESS. At least then you can get big plays handing the ball off and get chunks of yardage in a league where teams are built to defend the pass. Give your defense a breather and close out games at the end.

Bookend outside linebackers would be nice too. But I think the offense clearly needs the most help. And the best way to do that, now and later, is to add a quarterback. So hopefully there's a franchise guy on the board in the mid-first. Stranger things have happened.

As a complete aside, who thinks Keller gets re-signed?
Old 12-11-2012, 11:35 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

I wouldn't mind bringing Keller back but I feel someone is going to overpay for him. I just hope it won't be us. As long as it's a reasonable price, I would bring him back.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 12-12-2012, 12:14 AM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Basically admitting they made a mistake two years ago signing Plax over Braylon and this offseason not signing Braylon.

My guess is Holmes and Braylon hate each other. Because there was NO ******* REASON NOT TO RE-SIGN YOUR ******* QB'S FAVORITE RECEIVER.
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:18 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School View Post
Exactly !!!

Brees/Mannings/Rogers/Brady etc. would make a few of these WR's/RB's look better than they really are. Not saying that there are any QB's that will turn into any of these guys in this years draft. But take even Henne (who has sucked), when he replaced Gabbert this year, all the sudden Blackmon and Shorts are legit weapons. Sanchez isn't making anyone better.

As much as I realize there is great talent and depth on the defensive side of the ball in this years draft, and we could use it, I would be stoked if the Jets used all 7 picks on offense to completely rebuild and change their identity.
If you guys would care to pick out the QB(s) you believe have that capability in this draft, then I'd like to hear it. Then I'd support the strategy. I get what you're both saying about the QB position, and it makes complete sense, but draft picks don't grow on trees. My only point is that if the talent isn't there, it's just a waste of a pick. You seem to want to draft a QB simply because it's a need. But there's maybe three positions that I don't think are needs for us, and I think what's of more importance that they need to be trying to cultivate is a positive, winning culture.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:24 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

QB's accuracy and quicker decision making are essential to be a solid quarterback. Sanchez has lost both completely since the first game of this season. All he needs to rebound back nicely is to find them.

WR's inconsistent routines may be a culprit for Sanchez' holding football longer. Two reasons with WR problems are talents and new offensive system.

I, as a fan, want to revamp both QB and WR at the same time. Keeping Hill and Kerley is obvious and after that is up in the air. I think Jets should be aggressively getting Matt Flynn and then draft WR in the first round. This should improve the offense drastically.

Ducasse at LG and Schaunderlaff at RG and few exchanges FA/cut players on defensive side. Jets shouldn't be lost next year.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:53 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Where can I find information about players' playing time and snaps?