Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 12-13-2012, 08:35 AM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroyisgod View Post
Dez is going to test his hand out today in practice catching some balls. My feeling is that he'll play through the pain and be fine. I think once he's in the game and the adrenaline is going, he won't be bothered by the pain and discomfort?
Supposedly he didn't use ANY pain killers in the game when he broke it. Just tape and back into the game. He'll play through it and be fine. Crossing my fingers about not making the break worse or permanent damage.

I would like to see A LOT more of Beasley. He catches everything and should be our reliable short yardage weapon.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:14 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post
Supposedly he didn't use ANY pain killers in the game when he broke it. Just tape and back into the game. He'll play through it and be fine. Crossing my fingers about not making the break worse or permanent damage..
That's what I was thinking. He didn't have a splint or anything last week and caught that TD pass just fine, with his hands too. Pain killers are tricky though, has to be the right injury because you can do serious damage to whatever is injured, not know it, and make it worse after the game. Ideally, I'd like to use Dez for more clearout routes and see if they still double him. If so, the underneath should be open all game, if not, catching an overhead basket catch is the easiest, softest pass he could catch without damage.

Not sure I'd be looking to do a bunch of short, underneath passes that he'll have to truck 3-4 defenders, and I'm positive defenders will be aiming for it. He at worst should be a really good decoy, Dez can still out jump anyone 1 on 1 and if they devote the same attention to him Austin should have a big game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:27 AM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I know this is not really about anything, but I just had to vent.

There is a particular board that I frequent that I have now deleted my account. Reason?

I am fed up with the irrationality of the anti-Romo faction.

I do not think Romo is the best, but the anti-Romo crowd simply refuses to approach his play in any rational manner. Frustrating.

-Douglas MacArthur
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:05 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macarthur View Post
I know this is not really about anything, but I just had to vent.

There is a particular board that I frequent that I have now deleted my account. Reason?

I am fed up with the irrationality of the anti-Romo faction.

I do not think Romo is the best, but the anti-Romo crowd simply refuses to approach his play in any rational manner. Frustrating.
YES! More time for us! lol.

At least over here our Romo bashing is 100% rational.

I don't think he'll ever win a SB, but I hope someday soon he can win us a playoff game.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:03 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
YES! More time for us! lol.

At least over here our Romo bashing is 100% rational.

I don't think he'll ever win a SB, but I hope someday soon he can win us a playoff game.
:)

Nothing like that over here. I don't mind reality because I know he's not perfect, but I can't get past the silly bashing because of how he looks, wears his hat and such. I swear some arguments are as stupid as, 'you know when he throws incompletions, it hurts the team'.

-Douglas MacArthur
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:51 PM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
ESPN Fantasy - WR Dez Bryant (fractured finger) told reporters Thursday "only thing y'all need to know is I'm playing"
Gotta love the passion from him. Even if he can't make it through at least he is going to do his damnedest to try.
Witten4HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:35 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witten4HOF View Post
Gotta love the passion from him. Even if he can't make it through at least he is going to do his damnedest to try.
Besides needing him the help the Cowboys win, I need him to help me win in 2 fantasy leagues in which play-offs start this week.

Side note, Ratliff had hernia surgery.

Signature courtesy of BoneKrusher
leroyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:15 AM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I was watching sportscenter and they said Dez is going to wear a specialized splint that has a slight bend to make catching more natural. Also said it is going to hurt every time it gets hit. I think his biggest problem isn't going to be catching the ball, it's going to be getting off press coverage. Corners are going to challenge him at the LOS and it will be interesting how much he is able to hand fight to get a release.

He also has to think about ball security and resisting the natural reaction to brace himself when falling to the turf.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:32 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm more worried about how he braces himself to be tackled because we know the typical bull dozer Dez and if he tries to make run through and truck people on every tackle he'll end up falling right on that finger.

Though we may use him more as a decoy. The game after he hurt his hip, and another game this year he was injured he barely got the ball all game.

Quote:
Old 12-14-2012, 12:38 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have a hard time believing we'll be using Dez as a decoy. I'd go early and often to him to see how he's going to hold up.

Old 12-14-2012, 12:49 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I have a hard time believing we'll be using Dez as a decoy. I'd go early and often to him to see how he's going to hold up.
We don't go to him early and often even when he is healthy. lol.

I expect some more of the same as far as targets. Nothing more. Nothing less..
Old 12-14-2012, 01:08 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
We don't go to him early and often even when he is healthy. lol.

I expect some more of the same as far as targets. Nothing more. Nothing less..
This. Our offense doesn't force the ball in any direction. Open man gets the ball. Most of the time it's open man EARLY gets the ball especially in the first half before we deviate from our non-working vertical scheme.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:23 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
This. Our offense doesn't force the ball in any direction. Open man gets the ball. Most of the time it's open man EARLY gets the ball especially in the first half before we deviate from our non-working vertical scheme.
Actually, our offense is... whoever makes a catch that earns Romo's trust first, expect the ball to be thrown to him 10 times in a row after that.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:14 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

Pittsburgh has a very physical secondary, I could see a squirmy little guy like Beasley doing well against them. I'd like to see him get more reps.

Old 12-14-2012, 02:41 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

Running on the Stillers will be tough, but we just need to muster up 80-90 yds. This will be enough for them to respect the run.

Old 12-14-2012, 03:25 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Blogging The Boys
The Cowboys did not put Jay Ratliff on IR today, in hopes that he would be available should they somehow make the playoffs. Dez Bryant has admitted he will lose some flexibility in his finger and would have had the surgery if the club wasn't in the playoff chase. CB Morris Claiborne had a setback today, as he was dizzy from a concussion on Sunday, putting his availability in doubt for this next game against Pittsburgh.

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:36 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Actually, our offense is... whoever makes a catch that earns Romo's trust first, expect the ball to be thrown to him 10 times in a row after that.
Every time the subject turns to Romo with you my eyes skim your post and forget about it. Perhaps changing the tune from "blatant anti-Romo" snide remarks to a balanced approach would provide more sustained conversations. Whatever floats your boat though I can go back to ignoring if you feel so obliged.

Completely agree about Beasley. We should work him underneath early and often. Quick hitters, slants, and drags will really open up the offense later in the game provided we have a pocket to step into. I like our chances of maintaining a pocket in the interior A LOT better against the Steelers than most teams.

If we lose Claiborne we'll be starting cannon fodder opposite Carr. That's just scary.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:39 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

Quote:

That was exactly what we did after he landed on his hip in the Giants game for the Falcons game.

Quote:
Old 12-14-2012, 05:48 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If the reports are true that Dez's finger could be permanently messed up if he holds off on surgery, then he should just get the surgery. Gotta think long term with your investments, you can't permanently ruin the guy for 1 playoff chase.

He's a young player, he has his whole career ahead of him.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:51 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Every time the subject turns to Romo with you my eyes skim your post and forget about it. Perhaps changing the tune from "blatant anti-Romo" snide remarks to a balanced approach would provide more sustained conversations. Whatever floats your boat though I can go back to ignoring if you feel so obliged.

Completely agree about Beasley. We should work him underneath early and often. Quick hitters, slants, and drags will really open up the offense later in the game provided we have a pocket to step into. I like our chances of maintaining a pocket in the interior A LOT better against the Steelers than most teams.

If we lose Claiborne we'll be starting cannon fodder opposite Carr. That's just scary.
Of course I was being sarcastic, but doesn't it really seem that way sometimes?
Old 12-14-2012, 06:02 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Of course I was being sarcastic, but doesn't it really seem that way sometimes?
I buy into schemes. If it occurred after halftime adjustments I would put stock in it but a lot of the time the defenses force your hand when you hit the open man.

For example and complete hypothetical. Lets say Pittsburgh plays CB/FS double on Dez as their gameplan. Opposite corner mans Miles with the safety playing Deep middle. That leaves the MLB to cover Witten and the slot corner alone against our slot.

Lets say the gameplan is vertical (1st half har har!) and Dez runs a deep post. Miles runs a 10 yard in. Beasley runs a drag from left to right. Witten runs a 7 yard curl after blocking brief. Murray runs from the backfield into the flat on the left.

Dez will never be open barring a mistake. Miles will be bracketed on the play by the SS and CB. Beasley will be wide open crossing the field and be the best option. Witten will also be open provided the MLB doesn't cover well. Murray will be the last resort checkdown.

Now lets say the pass rush is beating our offensive line so Tony doesn't have time to progress through his reads so he throws as soon as Beasley comes open. If the Steelers keep the gameplan then Beasley and Witten are going to be the primary pass catchers. While it'll look at first glance that Romo trusts Beasley/Witten and not Dez/Miles it is simply not forcing the ball and hitting the open receiver.

Teams have done a lot of this type of coverage against us because we don't have the offensive line to protect long enough to get our vertical passing game working. When we switch it up in the second half and work Dez in the slants and Miles working the underneath it changes.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:32 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Cowboys now rank 2nd in NFL in 3rd down conversions. Over the last 5 games they have scored 150 points, 2nd most in the league. This with an OLine that has more holes than swiss cheese and puts the O in 3rd and long on a regular basis and still made game winning drives in the 4th quarter the last few games. Damn that Romo!!

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
Old 12-15-2012, 09:53 AM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces View Post
Cowboys now rank 2nd in NFL in 3rd down conversions. Over the last 5 games they have scored 150 points, 2nd most in the league. This with an OLine that has more holes than swiss cheese and puts the O in 3rd and long on a regular basis and still made game winning drives in the 4th quarter the last few games. Damn that Romo!!
The Frustrating part is the inability to move the ball and first and second down especially in the first half of games. It's almost like going out to drive on a cold day, have to let the car run for 20 min before you can even think about putting the offense in drive.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:20 AM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witten4HOF View Post
The Frustrating part is the inability to move the ball and first and second down especially in the first half of games. It's almost like going out to drive on a cold day, have to let the car run for 20 min before you can even think about putting the offense in drive.
Well IMO, thats ALL on the Oline. We cant run the ball, cant pass protect, the only reason we're doing as good as we are is because Romo keeps the play alive with his feet. He seriously doesnt get enough credit for his ability to get the play off when it should be a sack!

Old 12-15-2012, 10:41 AM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces View Post
Well IMO, thats ALL on the Oline. We cant run the ball, cant pass protect, the only reason we're doing as good as we are is because Romo keeps the play alive with his feet. He seriously doesnt get enough credit for his ability to get the play off when it should be a sack!
Absolutely, the line is to blame for most of the offense bogging down but some how we find a way to move the ball late in games. It's clearly a change in play calling that should be mixed in earlier to alleviate the stress of third and long situations and Tony Houdini escape acts.