Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 12-13-2012, 04:38 PM    (permalink
RCAChainGang
Pro Bowler

RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docta View Post
ESPN tells their guys to take opposing viewpoints. Nobody's getting fired.
I hate that. That show is just ridiculous. If something is obviously one sided then don't argue the other side at all. Shoot it straight.

Edit: love SN and Mike and Mike those shows give each other permission to agree.

EDIT: By the way BB, I love the way you introduced that link haha.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Bill Polian is cancer wrapped in AIDS delivered in an XXL enema so please don't expect me to disagree with you.

Last edited by RCAChainGang : 12-13-2012 at 04:45 PM.
RCAChainGang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:44 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Thats probably one of the stupidest things Ive seen come out of espn and that says alot. Parker is a ******* idiot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:59 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I know some of the inner city kids I work with every day have said very similar things about him. I agree that it doesn't make sense but I can say with confidence is that 'realness' for good or bad is tremendously important to some.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:15 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
I know some of the inner city kids I work with every day have said very similar things about him. I agree that it doesn't make sense but I can say with confidence is that 'realness' for good or bad is tremendously important to some.
Personally I think that's the kind of backwards thinking that is detrimental just in general. You're right it doesn't make sense. I'd like for to expand on your last sentence though. Define what makes someone "real" in the eyes of others? Because if it's anything along the lines of what Parker was implying (and that goes for any person of any race that doesn't follow suit of stereotypical labels) then I'd say the people that see "realness" in that context are misguided and or uneducated.

I have an Asian wife. I don't use the N word in every other sentence. I hate watermelons. Fried chicken gives me a headache. I'm not the biggest 2Pac fan. I've never been arrested or to jail. I think the Harlem shake is stupid.

If that means I'm not "legitimate" in the eyes of the urban black community or anyone else that defines my ethnicity on what passes the test for them then so be it. Not the black community I'd want to be apart of anyways.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Last edited by Ness : 12-13-2012 at 05:21 PM.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:24 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
Personally I think that's the kind of backwards thinking that is detrimental just in general. You're right it doesn't make sense. I'd like for to expand on your last sentence though. Define what makes someone "real" in the eyes of others? Because if it's anything along the lines of what Parker was implying (and that goes for any person of any race that doesn't follow suit of stereotypical labels) then I'd say the people that see "realness" in that context are misguided and or uneducated.
I don't disagree with you in any way. I'm just saying that alot of these kids (speaking of them because they are the ones I have spoken to) have a "code" that doesn't make sense to me on hardly any level. You describe it as "backwards thinking" and I tend to agree, but backwards or not, it is a reality. What Parker said was spoken as "someone who isn't highly education, talking with his boys at the barbershop" (as Parker, himself, categorized it.) The comments don't make sense, but the comments are being made. I've heard them, myself.

Quote:
I have an Asian wife. I don't use the N word in every other sentence. I hate watermelons. Fried chicken gives me a headache. I'm not the biggest 2Pac fan. I've never been arrested or to jail. I think the Harlem shake is stupid.

If that means I'm not "legitimate" in the eyes of the urban black community or anyone else that defines my ethnicity on what passes the test for them then so be it. Not the black community I'd want to be apart of anyways.
And this is precisely the demographic Parker was generalizing. Misguided is a gentle word to use. However, they live that life. They live by that code. It's sad, but it's a reality. Ignoring it, won't make it go away. Sadly, I think the media will make every attempt to not acknowledge it. Parker steps out on a limb and recognizes it, and is immediately chastized for being "out of his mind." Yes, maybe his words were, but they are the words of a growing group of people.

Last edited by phlysac : 12-13-2012 at 05:29 PM.
phlysac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:26 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

What are you a cornball brother? You ain't gots not hood swag.

And we all figured you had an Asian wife.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:31 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaarat316 View Post

What are you a cornball brother? You ain't gots not hood swag.
It was enlightening to hear Parker say "cornball" was a commonly used derogatory comment. The youth I've spoken to (being on the opposite coast of Parker) have described Griffin as "corny" and "a weirdo."

On many occasions when I've asked what they mean by "corny" or "weird" they will reply "he's not real", or "he's fake", or "he ain't hard."
Old 12-13-2012, 05:33 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I don't disagree with you in any way. I'm just saying that alot of these kids (speaking of them because they are the ones I have spoken to) have a "code" that doesn't make sense to me on hardly any level. You describe it as "backwards thinking" and I tend to agree, but backwards or not, it is a reality. What Parker said was spoken as "someone who isn't highly education, talking with his boys at the barbershop" (as Parker, himself, categorized it.) The comments don't make sense, but the comments are being made. I've heard them, myself.
Oh alright. I thought you were trying to rationalize the same kind of comments that you've heard yourself and what Parker was saying in some way.

I'd say the real "reality" is that a good amount of the populace is simply uneducated, which leads to this "stick with the same race" mentality.

And for those out there that might think I'm advocating to give up personal culture, that isn't the case. Anyone can live, breathe, and die by their culture, but at the same people of a certain ethnicity shouldn't be labeled by it, good or bad. And cultural values shouldn't ultimately define what kind of person you are.

Quote:
Old 12-13-2012, 05:39 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Quote:
And this is precisely the demographic Parker was generalizing. Misguided is a gentle word to use. However, they live that life. They live by that code. It's sad, but it's a reality. Ignoring it, won't make it go away. Sadly, I think the media will make every attempt to not acknowledge it. Parker steps out on a limb and recognizes it, and is immediately chastized for being "out of his mind." Yes, maybe his words were, but they are the words of a growing group of people.
I think they're just the words of a miseducated man in his late 40's. I'm not ignoring the fact that a good amount of the black community out there believes there is an unwritten "code" that in their eyes defines the legitimacy of being black. I'm just saying it's stupid to recognize the said "code" as something genuine to live your life by and judge other people. Which is what Parker is doing.

Quote:
Old 12-13-2012, 06:25 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

Quote:
I think they're just the words of a miseducated man in his late 40's. I'm not ignoring the fact that a good amount of the black community out there believes there is an unwritten "code" that in their eyes defines the legitimacy of being black. I'm just saying it's stupid to recognize the said "code" as something genuine to live your life by and judge other people. Which is what Parker is doing.
Parker was actually responding to Griffin saying that he didn't want to be defined by the color of his skin. He basically alluded to that not sitting well with the same people whom might think Griffin is a "cornball."

He is saying that (to a misguided/uneducated observer) that not wanting to be defined as a black athlete is showing a lack of pride in being black.

At least that's how I took it.

Last edited by phlysac : 12-13-2012 at 06:34 PM.
phlysac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:31 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Quote:
Parker was actually responding to Griffin saying that he didn't want to be defined by the color of his skin. He basically alluded to that not sitting well with the same people whom might think Griffin is a "cornball."

He is saying that (to a misguided/undecated observer) that not wanting to be defined as a black athlete is showing a lack of pride in being black.

At least that's how I took it.
I think Parker is just hearing what he wants to hear then. I wouldn't take that stance from Griffin, as someone who is black myself, or anyone of any race that said they didn't want to be defined by the color of their skin. Your heritage and skin color are what they are. But that shouldn't define the person you are, and Parker is making objections about someone he doesn't know from the little information he has on Griffin and putting a label on Griffin. Really, who is Parker to assume what kind of person Griffin is and/or what cultural values he recognizes?

It's really sad to see a man probably close to the age of 50 actually has this thought process.

Quote:
Old 12-13-2012, 06:40 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

Quote:
I think Parker is just hearing what he wants to hear then. I wouldn't take that stance from Griffin, as someone who is black myself, or anyone of any race that said they didn't want to be defined by the color of their skin. Your heritage and skin color are what they are. But that shouldn't define the person you are, and Parker is making objections about someone he doesn't know from the little information he has on Griffin and putting a label on Griffin. Really, who is Parker to assume what kind of person Griffin is and/or what cultural values he recognizes?

It's really sad to see a man probably close to the age of 50 actually has this thought process.
I completely agree. But I actually think Parker recognizes the misguided opinion of some. I've heard some opinions of kids who claim to be "in it" (street life) that have turned my stomach. They also question RGIII.

They are completely wrong to do so, in my opinion, but that doesn't eliminate the fact that people share that perspective.

It's like trying to ignore the words of a bigot. Not recognizing a bigots words won't make bigotry go away, and doesn't mean bigotry doesn't exists.

We may not want to recognize Parker's words as legitimate, but that doesn't take away the fact that a certain type of person might actually feel what Parker is recognizing.

I wish it weren't this way, but I also believe it very much is.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:47 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Quote:
I completely agree. But I actually think Parker recognizes the misguided opinion of some. I've heard some opinions of kids who claim to be "in it" (street life) that have turned my stomach. They also question RGIII.

They are completely wrong to do so, in my opinion, but that doesn't eliminate the fact that people share that perspective.

It's like trying to ignore the words of a bigot. Not recognizing a bigots words won't make bigotry go away, and doesn't mean bigotry doesn't exists.

We may not want to recognize Parker's words as legitimate, but that doesn't take away the fact that a certain type of person might actually feel what Parker is recognizing.

I wish it weren't this way, but I also believe it very much is.
Like I said it just comes down to a miseducated populace. Race is a social construct that has existed for a long time. Personally I choose not to associate myself with folks that have this racial "stick together" mentality.

I recognize it exists and I always have. People might feel power in Parker's words and agree. I think those people are idiots and/or just miseducated. Personally to me it's irrelevant if people see where Parker is coming from. That perspective is stupid plain and simple. That fact that is exists doesn't make it any less stupid.

Sorry I'm not sure what your point is phlysac. That this is the way of the world? Yes I know that. Like I just said though, it, like many other things on this planet it is dumb. Recognizing the issue or ignoring it doesn't make it any more legitimate of a prospect.

Quote:

Last edited by Ness : 12-13-2012 at 06:51 PM.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:35 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

So...the game...

Quote:
Old 12-13-2012, 07:36 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

Quote:
Sorry I'm not sure what your point is phlysac. That this is the way of the world? Yes I know that. Like I just said though, it, like many other things on this planet it is dumb. Recognizing the issue or ignoring it doesn't make it any more legitimate of a prospect.
My point is this...

I don't feel that Parker should be criticized for racism and should be fired. I feel he is speaking for an uneducated/misguided polulace, which sadly, represents a substantial populace.

I also don't feel that it is perpetuating a "societal stereotype." I feel that it is recognizing the thoughts of a populace that actually live there lives according to these misguided principles.

It's like a foreign language to me. I don't understand it at all. I work hard every day to gain small pieces of trust from youth in this populace. In doing so, I can say that what Parker said, as ridiculous as most of us (likely, but generalizing) would believe it to be, has alot of merit to some.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:37 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

Quote:
So...the game...
thank you. I hate that I made such a tangent. I suppose that's what happenes when all NFL news now goes in the gameday thread.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:42 PM    (permalink
Pat Sims 90
All-Pro

Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Man the Eagles look terrible tonight so far.

RIP themaninblack
Pat Sims 90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:42 PM    (permalink
cunningham06
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wow Eagles. I don't know how this terrible team managed to win last week.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:20 PM    (permalink
49erNation85
All-Pro

49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

WoW what a throe by Foles. Good bye Vick ha.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:32 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Andy Dalton's one man mission to doom the Bengals playoff chances is working.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:38 PM    (permalink
Unbiased
Pro Bowler

Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Riley Cooper is so hateable. Stop calling for a flag on every single play.
Unbiased is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:56 PM    (permalink
NotMyJob
Rookie

NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Here I was, hoping to hear some insight on the game..
Old 12-13-2012, 09:01 PM    (permalink
49erNation85
All-Pro

49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Dam that was terrible Bangles.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:05 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

God Dammit Eagles give the rock to Brown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:05 PM    (permalink
49erNation85
All-Pro

that was the longest 2nd quarter all week.