Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Closed Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 11:17 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well. It was enjoyable for a little while. Kinda got ruined pretty quickly though.

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:18 PM    (permalink
49erNation85
All-Pro

49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

it was a good game and the defense saved us today! But also in the 3rd they got cocky and slowed and we can't have that against Sea next week. We need to play lights out all game long and not slip up.

I'm stoked to have Ck as our QB He's gonna have a great career for us. His Int was his fault and shouldn't of throw it into coverage,however, still a good game by Kaep.His passes are lazer fast and can throw it deep any time,Just need more touches on his passes. he also needs to learn to read the defense a little more.

overall a great fun game to watch.I was a little nervous towards and almost crap my sefl but we pulled out the win.But where was this defense against the Rams ?
Old 12-16-2012, 11:19 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

*wipes forehead*

Leading 31-3 with 9 minutes left in the third, we started playing zone coverage. I HATE ZONE coverage. It doesnt work. Offense isnt beating anyone or anything. The QB's only opponent is the air. Letting the Patriots come back to tie the game at 31 is sad and pathetic.

Man coverage caused the Patriots to turn the ball over 4 times and score only 3 points. I dont know why Fangio would change that. Like the saying goes, if it aint broken, dont fix it.

If we would have lost, I would have been flipping on Fangio, Harbaugh and the defense. Kaepernick with 4 tds, 1 int and 1 sack. His best game thus far. Should have been a massacre and instead it was only a 7 point win.

I'm extremely happy that we won and I have said it since last season ended, if we could score 30+ ppg, that with our defense, special teams and running game, we're nearly unbeatable. I say nearly unbeatable because it depends on the defensive playcalling.

To me, it's the playcalling on both sides of the ball, that pisses me off sometimes. I'm sure others here agree with that.

Other than that, only complaints were the three missnaps at the LOS, Akers and Ginn. I hate that guy. Every time Akers and Ginn are out there, I get scared that the worst is going to happen.

Anyway.....on to Seattle for the NFC West Division Championship. :)
Old 12-16-2012, 11:20 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Really tired of facing these high octane offenses though. Green Bay, New Orleans, New England, etc. You can really see where the rules benefit them. Games literally aren't over until maybe the middle of the 4th quarter even if you have what seems like an insurmountable lead.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:29 PM    (permalink
49erNation85
All-Pro

49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
Really tired of facing these high octane offenses though. Green Bay, New Orleans, New England, etc. You can really see where the rules benefit them. Games literally aren't over until maybe the middle of the 4th quarter even if you have what seems like an insurmountable lead.
Oh it will be another nail bitter next week in Seattle.The Hawks are becoming a high scoring offense in the making.We are gonna have to play lights out all game long again. Hopefully no rain in the forecast. It will be an amazing game next week I can't wait. I just hope we can contain Wilson and Lynch.

Agreed that Ginn needs to freaking lose his job.Almost giving up two fumbles. Put James back there by god.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:32 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
How crazy is it that they beat all 3 on the road.

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:32 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I'll be running my mouth all week.
As compared to every other week? ;P
Old 12-17-2012, 01:13 AM    (permalink
binary
Veteran

binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Whoa, that was a crapload of fun. I can't believe this kid just went into NE and threw 4 TDs...in his 5th freakin' start. So relieved right now, I can feel #6.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:14 AM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
As compared to every other week? ;P
Someone has got to fend of the east coast loons from the ridiculous assumptions here of the 49ers fanbase. I just have more leverage this week. Compared to last week it feels like night and day.

Quote:
Old 12-17-2012, 01:19 AM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erNation85 View Post
Oh it will be another nail bitter next week in Seattle.The Hawks are becoming a high scoring offense in the making.We are gonna have to play lights out all game long again. Hopefully no rain in the forecast. It will be an amazing game next week I can't wait. I just hope we can contain Wilson and Lynch.

Agreed that Ginn needs to freaking lose his job.Almost giving up two fumbles. Put James back there by god.
Yes, it will be difficult. But there should be some less pressure now that the NFC West crown won't be next week, but in the last week of the season. The 49ers have the Cardinals at home. Should be a win at that point. Looks like the 49ers won't even get to rest their starters in the last week of the season assuming they beat the Seahawks anyways. Packers are right behind them in their quest for the #2 seed.

Quote:
Old 12-17-2012, 01:25 AM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erNation85 View Post

James looked terrible and unnatural returning punts.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:31 AM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Kaepernick played okay but this was definitely not better than the Bears game, I don't know why people would say it was, except for the prisoner-of-the-moment mentality. He had a few good throws but just as many that were pretty bad. The Patriots had a couple of dropped interceptions and he overthrew an open Vernon Davis for a touchdown multiple times. I am not sure who the dropped snaps were on but with four of them they is probably blame on both parties.

I am not yelling for Kaepernick's head or anything, because he played a lot better than I thought he would and because he played much better than he did in the last few games, but there was a much bad as good in his game last night, and that was against one of the worst pass defenses in the NFL. Joe Flacco threw for almost 400 yards and three touchdowns against that defense. James and Crabtree are the ones who came up big when it really mattered.

My problem with this offense under Kaepernick thus far is that it is feast or famine. On one drive they are unstoppable and an easy 'A+' but on the next they are a 'C' at best. It showed itself in this game. I don't think that style of offense lends itself to playoff victories.

The defense was disappointing, to say the least, from about 10 minutes left in the third until about five minutes left in the 4th. New England's no huddle looked like it finally wore them down and they just could not stop the Patriots momentum. For two-thirds of the game the defense was playing fantastic, maybe the best it has played over the last couple of years, but that 20-minute stretch was abysmal. The Patriots may have had some help with some questionable calls but there is no excuse for letting Danny Woodhead run on us like he was. Without the Patriots receivers dropping like five passes in that span they probably come back even faster.

Allowing 28 points, and scoring none, in under 20 minutes is incredibly worrisome. Still, I guess I can't complain. A win is a win, especially against a team that hasn't lost at home in December in like a decade.

Last edited by abaddon41_80 : 12-17-2012 at 09:20 AM.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:29 AM    (permalink
ViperVisor
Pro Bowler

ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Its great he did almost all his + stuff was with his arm in a game. Like CHI. And only 1 bad run backwards sack that was cause Staley got fooled.

But like you mentioned the - of the Slangin' style showed itself more than ever in the game.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:12 AM    (permalink
binary
Veteran

binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A lot of not being able to capitalize on the turnovers was playcalling. I remember being 3rd and 5 or so inside the 20 and just running it. Just more Roman crap. Dude looks like a genius at times and is totally brainfarting others.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:22 AM    (permalink
ViperVisor
Pro Bowler

ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A mistake I didn't 2nd guess but 1st guessed is not calling a timeout with :45-1:00 before the half.

NE had 1 Timeout

It would of been VERY hard to get in position for a FG for them.

We waited to 28 sec. Run to make it 1st and Goal. 18 seconds left. 1 Timeout left.

We needed more time to be able to get another chance or 2 at a TD. If the run fails and it is 4th down. NE uses the last timeout they had.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:51 AM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binary View Post
A lot of not being able to capitalize on the turnovers was playcalling. I remember being 3rd and 5 or so inside the 20 and just running it. Just more Roman crap. Dude looks like a genius at times and is totally brainfarting others.
He seems to clam up and go conservative at the oddest times.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Old 12-17-2012, 10:58 AM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Nothing wrong with getting conservative with a 28-point lead but I think he tried to open it back up once the Patriots pulled within 14, five of the next seven plays were pass plays. The problem was that those plays netted us -11 yards, -13 on a sack and -10 on a penalty.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:20 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Offensively, we were awesome and I didnt have any complaints except for the botched snaps but I blame Kaepernick/Goodwin 50/50 plus the rain had something to do with it to because I dont recall Kaepernick having problems under center in his previous games.

My main problem was the defense and Fangio switching from man to zone with 10 or so minutes left in the 3rd quarter. That pissed me off. Patriots scored 4 straight TD's on four possessions because of that switch. All the momentum that we had was gone in an instant. I dont know why Fangio would change what was not only working for the defense but dominating the Patriots offense.

Again, like I have said for a long time regardless of who the QB is, its the play calling that pisses me off the most because at times, it just doesnt make any sense and makes you shake your head in disbelief.

As for Kaepernick, to me, this was his best game easily. 4 tds, 1 int and 1 sack. Sack wasnt his fault as Staley got beat badly. Interception was all him but no biggie because Kaepernick's arm strength and athletic ability allow him to make up for it on any given play. The yards werent there but I care more about the points than the yards. Kaepernick was poised and calm the entire game and didnt get rattled at all. Granted, he overthrew a few passes but I rather have him overthrow passes so no one gets it instead of him underthrowing them.

Right now, it appears that we finally have a legitimate franchise QB who quite honestly has a lot of upside and potential because he can only get better.

If the play calling becomes smarter, we will be extremely hard to beat. Cant wait for next week's game in Seattle.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:38 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Nothing wrong with getting conservative with a 28-point lead but I think he tried to open it back up once the Patriots pulled within 14, five of the next seven plays were pass plays. The problem was that those plays netted us -11 yards, -13 on a sack and -10 on a penalty.
There's absolutely something wrong with getting conservative when Tom freakin Brady and BB are on the other sideline and its almost 8 minutes left in the 3rd quarter. Pats score in bunches and can turn it on in a milli second. Going soft on defense and simultaneously just trying burn clock on offense was the perfect storm of questionable coaching that gave that offense rhythm and allowed that game to be a lot closer than it shoultd have been. Honestly it should have been 50-3 with all the missed opportunities in the first half and the conservative approach right before half. I thought we learned our lesson last year in the playoffs against the Saints. High-powered offenses are just that....you never fall asleep at the wheel. Especially when your offense has shown itself to be inconsistent at best. You can get away with that conservative nature against the Mark Sanchez's and the Ryan Fitzpatrick's of the world. But when you have a elite QB, one of the best QB's to ever play the position on the other sideline, you take a page out of the Pete Carroll Coaching Handbook and your put your foot on their throat. There was way too much time to think that game was over. I certainly knew better.

As far as the offense, this is who JH is. I continue to preach it, he's a ball-control coach. We may start out aggressive, trying to get points on the board. But it won't last because JH believes in balance and so he will always come back to the run and try to eat some clock. That's where we run into problems becuase that allows for a few stops and momentum to change hands. Its extremely frustrating to watch when the passing game is on early but that's just who he is. And Roman is a by product of his philosophy. Especially on the road, JH plays it close to vest as much as possible. The difference is the running game. If the running game is mauling and dominating, the balance offense helps ten fold and we're picking up first down and the clock is moving. But when the running game isn't creating much yards, it puts us in a position where we're having to convert a lot of 3rd down and I our 3rd down offensive is very mediocre. And last night Wilfork and their front made it difficult to just grind out yards on the ground. And as much as I like LMJ's potential, we really missed Kendall Hunter, who is a more complete back at this point. When we're aggressive through the air, we are ahead of the chains, picking yards in chunks, and looking explosive. That's where the disconnect in offense stems from. When you have a coach as dedicated to the run as JH and tends to lean on ball-control over everything else, its hard to stick to being aggressive through the air, and more times than not, attacking through the air is usually where our good offensive output stems from....big gains in the passing game. Maybe some of that is the QB play. Alex lacked the tools to attack downfield consistently and CK lacks the experience to stay with it at the moment. But when I watched Luck with JH at Stanford, I saw the same thing so I'm more inclined to say its just his approach to coaching.

Last edited by VAfy-ya : 12-17-2012 at 01:42 PM.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:11 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think going to the prevent was more about trying not to run the defense to death staying in man coverage the whole game. I know they got worn down anyway, but I would guess that was the thinking.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:14 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfy-ya View Post
There's absolutely something wrong with getting conservative when Tom freakin Brady and BB are on the other sideline and its almost 8 minutes left in the 3rd quarter. Pats score in bunches and can turn it on in a milli second. Going soft on defense and simultaneously just trying burn clock on offense was the perfect storm of questionable coaching that gave that offense rhythm and allowed that game to be a lot closer than it shoultd have been. Honestly it should have been 50-3 with all the missed opportunities in the first half and the conservative approach right before half. I thought we learned our lesson last year in the playoffs against the Saints. High-powered offenses are just that....you never fall asleep at the wheel. Especially when your offense has shown itself to be inconsistent at best. You can get away with that conservative nature against the Mark Sanchez's and the Ryan Fitzpatrick's of the world. But when you have a elite QB, one of the best QB's to ever play the position on the other sideline, you take a page out of the Pete Carroll Coaching Handbook and your put your foot on their throat. There was way too much time to think that game was over. I certainly knew better.

As far as the offense, this is who JH is. I continue to preach it, he's a ball-control coach. We may start out aggressive, trying to get points on the board. But it won't last because JH believes in balance and so he will always come back to the run and try to eat some clock. That's where we run into problems becuase that allows for a few stops and momentum to change hands. Its extremely frustrating to watch when the passing game is on early but that's just who he is. And Roman is a by product of his philosophy. Especially on the road, JH plays it close to vest as much as possible. The difference is the running game. If the running game is mauling and dominating, the balance offense helps ten fold and we're picking up first down and the clock is moving. But when the running game isn't creating much yards, it puts us in a position where we're having to convert a lot of 3rd down and I our 3rd down offensive is very mediocre. And last night Wilfork and their front made it difficult to just grind out yards on the ground. And as much as I like LMJ's potential, we really missed Kendall Hunter, who is a more complete back at this point. When we're aggressive through the air, we are ahead of the chains, picking yards in chunks, and looking explosive. That's where the disconnect in offense stems from. When you have a coach as dedicated to the run as JH and tends to lean on ball-control over everything else, its hard to stick to being aggressive through the air, and more times than not, attacking through the air is usually where our good offensive output stems from....big gains in the passing game. Maybe some of that is the QB play. Alex lacked the tools to attack downfield consistently and CK lacks the experience to stay with it at the moment. But when I watched Luck with JH at Stanford, I saw the same thing so I'm more inclined to say its just his approach to coaching.
That is completely JH. He ran the same offense with Tavita Prichard, Andrew Luck, Alex Smith, and Colin Kaepernick. It just looks different because of the different skill sets but the philosophy won't change.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:56 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menardo75 View Post
I think going to the prevent was more about trying not to run the defense to death staying in man coverage the whole game. I know they got worn down anyway, but I would guess that was the thinking.
Well I hope there was some "logic" to it. The 49ers defense looked gassed at the end of the game and apparently there wasn't even much celebrating in the locker room, just relief. The entire contest turned into a street game in the third quarter. I'm still ticked off at that flag against Terrell Brown on the deep middle. That was stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menardo75 View Post
That is completely JH. He ran the same offense with Tavita Prichard, Andrew Luck, Alex Smith, and Colin Kaepernick. It just looks different because of the different skill sets but the philosophy won't change.
Yes. I just pray to goodness gracious that Harbaugh isn't the next Marty Schottenheimer with that philosophy.

Quote:
Old 12-17-2012, 05:40 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binary View Post
Whoa, that was a crapload of fun. I can't believe this kid just went into NE and threw 4 TDs...in his 5th freakin' start. So relieved right now, I can feel #6.
We have a potential franchise QB who's playing well and still has a ton of potential, a top 5 HC, a lot of talent (obviously more on defense), and a really good GM.

Guys, this feels really good after 2003-2010. These are good times.

Last edited by 49ersfan_87 : 12-17-2012 at 05:44 PM.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:33 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Yes. I just pray to goodness gracious that Harbaugh isn't the next Marty Schottenheimer with that philosophy.
Its different from Marty Ball though. Marty had that philosophy regardless of personnel. If Jimbaugh didn't have the personnel to do what we do, I don't believe he would force it. When he first got to USD, they were a pass-first team because JH didn't have the players to excute his power-run philosophy. And the way he excutes it at the NFL level...the play design, the versatility of personnel and formations is anything but Marty Ball. Its still a work in progress getting this offense excatly the way he wants it. I like having the ability to run down the throat of most defenses and physically beat a opponent down in the trenches. Its one of the main reasons this team is successful. We just have to get the passing game to the point where when we dial it up, we have the personnel at all levels to make teams pay. No team is perfect everywhere so just like anybody else, we still have some tweaks to make to that part of the offense for us to be a much more balanced team.

Last edited by VAfy-ya : 12-17-2012 at 06:35 PM.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:37 PM    (permalink
binary
Veteran

I think people are more afraid of this style because we aren't always gonna be ahead. It's a great style to play with the lead, but you can sense panic when things aren't going so well...lamichael james and crabtree pretty much saved us.

Also, Vernon should've laid out for that freakin catch.