Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 12-18-2012, 09:49 AM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Cowboys didn't even know he was on the sideline until after the game had started according to Ed Werder.
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinisher View Post
That's your opinion and you're entitled to it, but at the same time the Cowboys feel differently and you should respect their opinion.
I do. They are welcome to do whatever they want, no matter how asinine the decision may be.

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinisher View Post
Because the decision making process was the same.

And there's really no parallel between your illegal firearm and drunk driving scenarios. The difference in decision making in those 2 scenarios are extremely different.

If we argue in a bar and you only punch me and break my nose, depending whether or not I press charges nothing happens to you.

But if you punch me and I fall back against a table and crush my skull bone back into my temple and die, you're going to be charged with involuntary manslaughter and most likely end up in jail for several years.

The law is about outcomes in many cases, not only the choices made.

Being drunk and killing someone is not the same as just being pulled over for a DUI.

For some reason you're missing the part where he killed someone.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:08 AM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post
If we argue in a bar and you only punch me and break my nose, depending whether or not I press charges nothing happens to you.

But if you punch me and I fall back against a table and crush my skull bone back into my temple and die, you're going to be charged with involuntary manslaughter and most likely end up in jail for several years.

The law is about outcomes in many cases, not only the choices made.

Being drunk and killing someone is not the same as just being pulled over for a DUI.

For some reason you're missing the part where he killed someone.
He will be prosecuted and its getting off topic now but what I'm saying is when it comes to drunk driving there really shouldn't be such an extreme difference in how the act is perceived based on the outcome. Blackmon, Diehl, Fairley and countless other athletes made the exact same decision as Brent and their odds of killing someone based on that decision was equally heightened but there were no outcries over them still being apart of their teams like there currently is for Brent. They could have just as easily killed someone but instead they got a slap on the wrist.

If you want to ostracize Brent based on his decision, then be consistent, because those other guys made the exact same choice.
TheFinisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:13 AM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You still aren't acknowledging how the OUTCOME makes Josh Brent's situation entirely unique to any other athlete busted for DUI.

Either you kill someone or you don't. This isn't horseshoes. Close doesn't count.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:21 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
You still aren't acknowledging how the OUTCOME makes Josh Brent's situation entirely unique to any other athlete busted for DUI.

Either you kill someone or you don't. This isn't horseshoes. Close doesn't count.
Yes there is a difference and that is why he will spend time in jail. My point is on how the NFL deals with these things. The NFL can't take the stance of "hey you drove way over the legal limit but you didn't kill anyone, so here's a letter to the substance abuse program" and then freak out when a death does occur because of it.

If a guy shoots someone but they are saved by paramedics, is that act better than someone shooting someone who dies? No! The act is exactly the same, only the outcome differs. Any person who drives drunk has made a conscious decision to drive. They may have been impaired when they started the car but be it as simple as bringing your car to a bar, having your keys in your pocket etc they made the decision where their car would be available to them when drunk. All of these players made the same decision and committed the same act. The reason why drunk driving is a crime is because it can lead to death, it shuldn't only be acted on when someone actually kills someone

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:24 AM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Sure I am, and Brent will do prison time, but what I'm saying is the outcome shouldn't be what is focused on. The act itself and the decision making process is what should be focused on because its the only thing the perpetrator has control over.

Same thing with murder vs attempted murder. Max sentence for murder gets you 25 to life yet the max for attempted murder is like 7 years... But the only difference between the two acts is the person failed to successfully kill the victim despite having the same intent.

Last edited by TheFinisher : 12-18-2012 at 10:28 AM.
TheFinisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:29 AM    (permalink
crisco0710
Rookie

crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
The NFL's offices were unaware Brent would be on the sideline and he is now banned from it. Needless to say, you speculated wrong or pulled it out of your ass.
The local sports station said Jerry and Goodell spoke about it over the phone before the decision was made. Maybe he pulled it out of his ass.

Edit: http://1045theteam.com/goodell-nfl-a...killing-a-man/

Last edited by crisco0710 : 12-18-2012 at 10:34 AM.
crisco0710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:21 PM    (permalink
wogitalia
Pro Bowler

wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't get this uproar. Brent made a stupid decision and as a result someone died but that doesn't mean that his friends shouldn't support him for losing his best friend as his friend and teammates.

The humane thing to do is to care for those suffering, he will pay the price for breaking the law and he will pay the price in general for his stupid decision but what does ostracising a man that needs support right now achieve?

I'm not condoning his actions in any way, he is a moron and he is suffering for that.

The outcomes do matter ultimately, he made the stupid decision to drive while drunk with another person in the car and as a result that person died, it's always worse to DUI with someone else. At the same time, this was a stupid decision, not a malicious decision and that to me is where the difference comes in how he should be treated.

Props to BK on the sig!
wogitalia is offline   Reply With Quote